Disney Resort on Oahu Rumor

I think a resort/DVC combo tied into the aquarium with some added disney touches (show, character meal, kids programs, cool pool) might fit the outline of a mini disney centers (I forgot what they were calling them) that they announced earlier.

It wil be interesting to see how this might play out. I can see a Disney Hotel in Hawaii, especially since they have started construction of the new cruide ships. I can see them now packaging the cruise ship, DL and Hawaii as one big trip.

Now, as far as DVC aspect in Hawaii, that will be tricky. Timeshares in Hawaii are expensive, even more then DVC. (That's comparing DVC to Westin, Marriott, etc). The point structure would have to be more expensive then any of the current DVC resorts. I also believe that and Disney resort would be mixed use, with DVC being only a small portion of the total number of rooms.

I'll go one further. I was just on the Ko Olina website. This is a huge developement with several resorts, and some avaliable land around it's own Marina. What would prevent Disney from building a dock for one of the new Disney Cruise Line ships and building a resort with a Hotel, DVC and Facilities for DCL day guests? It would be the Hawaii answer to Castaway Key, and would also offer hotel and DVC sales opportunities. The DVC sales alone could help finance the building of it. This would be a popular Itenerary, especially with West Coasters who go to Hawaii yearly anyway.

I'll go one further. I was just on the Ko Olina website. This is a huge developement with several resorts, and some avaliable land around it's own Marina. What would prevent Disney from building a dock for one of the new Disney Cruise Line ships and building a resort with a Hotel, DVC and Facilities for DCL day guests? It would be the Hawaii answer to Castaway Key, and would also offer hotel and DVC sales opportunities. The DVC sales alone could help finance the building of it. This would be a popular Itenerary, especially with West Coasters who go to Hawaii yearly anyway.

Is Ko Olina on the Big Island? Can you give that website you were on? Thanks!

I think that many familys that want to go to Hawaii as we always do will look at Disney as the perfect Family resort. There are a few that are kid worthy but Disney would draw me in in a second before any of the other resorts.

DVC or not I will spend my cash to go stay there, and Disney has no dought that many will:thumbsup2 seems that a very smart move with all the hype about a DVC in Hawaii.

As for the ships if they dont tie it in than this may be a way for them to add Disney there without having to cruise their to give the cruisers taht also want Disney a chance to still do disney and Hawaii at the same time.

Yes we will buy pts for Hawaii and try to go every year with visiting WDW every 3 years and DL at least once a year(on pts anyway).

We have 400 pts at this time and our goal is 600 pts. Would get more if it was not for the yearly dues...they kill ya each year:rotfl:

For information on the Koolina resort area : www.koolina.com

The pic that appears on the opening page shows the JW Ihilani resort on the left and the Marriott Koolina Beach Club (timeshare) on the right.

It is a dated picture though. As of today the Marriott Koolina has 2 complete towers and will finish the 3rd in early 2009.

Also, between the Ihilani and the Marriott is a condo project called Koolina Beach Villas.

The rumor I heard was that Disney was looking at the parcel right next to the JW Ihilani.

Other rumors heard in the past for the other empty parcels include the Ritz Carlton.

Also in the resort is the Koolina Golf Course and several home/town home developments, and the Koolina Marina.

Aloha,
Jen

When we bought into DVC in July we were told Disney were VERY keen to do their own take on the Atlantis resort. Supposedly people from all levels of the company (management, chefs, public relations etc.) have already been to Atlantis to try to make a bigger and better version for DVC.

Sounds like this resort in Hawaii may be just that!!

Marie

OMG!!! I would be in heaven!!!! That is a great rumor Marie9!!!! And No passports!lol

Although I'd usually pick other Islands over Oahu, Ko Olina is absolutely beautiful, and I looked in to buying Marriott after visiting there ($$$$$).

For a Canadian west coaster, getting a flight to Oahu is much easier and cheaper then some of the other Islands -- a great location for a family getaway!

Local News Station is going to have a Disney info tonight at 10pm - KITV - ABC station in Honolulu. Time will tell if Ko Olina is the sight. Ko Olina is beautiful and has beautiful lagoons to swim in. I currently have the DVC MBR Hawaiian license Plate - Can you tell I'm excited to have a DVC in Hawaii??:cheer2:

Local News Station is going to have a Disney info tonight at 10pm - KITV - ABC station in Honolulu. Time will tell if Ko Olina is the sight. Ko Olina is beautiful and has beautiful lagoons to swim in. I currently have the DVC MBR Hawaiian license Plate - Can you tell I'm excited to have a DVC in Hawaii??:cheer2:

Wow, if it's on the news, it must be pretty much a given. I hope you come back and let us know what the news coverage said.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/14248160/detail.html

map showing resort location:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...24504&spn=0.005996,0.006437&z=16&source=embed

Disney Hotel Could Be Located Next To Ihilani

POSTED: 3:10 pm HST October 1, 2007
UPDATED: 8:26 pm HST October 1, 2007

HONOLULU -- The Walt Disney Co. could announce as soon as this week that it is looking to build a resort on Oahu, according to KITV sources.

Disney plans to build a hotel in Ko Olina.

Sources told KITV Disney is looking at undeveloped land on the Diamond Head side of the Ihilani Resort and Spa. That is where sources said Disney would build its own resort or condos with direct access to Lagoons one and two at Ko Olina.

"We've got nothing to announce today, and that the company is not confirming the speculation," Walt Disney Parks and Resorts spokeswoman Lisa Haines said.

Haines refused to go into further detail. However, she did elaborate on the company's business approach.

"We look at many geographies, and clearly Hawaii is an attractive market, but we look at many geographies as we think about ways to grow our business," Haines said.

Disney's chief financial officer told an investor conference just a few weeks ago that Disney does not plan to build any more theme parks in the United States. He said the company is looking at other international locations for theme parks.

Disney owns numerous resorts at and near its Anaheim, Calif., and Orlando, Fla., theme parks. It also has a Disney Vacation Club, which operates time-share condos in Hilton Head, South Carolina and Vero Beach, Fla.

Ko Olina developer Jeff Stone did not return KITV's phone call for comment.

Earlier this year, Stone's company returned a $75 million state tax credit because it no longer planned a world-class aquarium there. Stone said the Ko Olina resort area was in the middle of $1 billion of development and he had not used the tax credit since it was granted in 2003.

KITV's sources cautioned that these types of deals are never sure things until construction begins.

The sources said that Stone has negotiated and been close to making deals with Mandarin resorts, the Trump organization, Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton to develop properties at Ko Olina, but all those deals eventually fell through, some of them even after a letter of intent was signed.

Nice location. I am surprised the Ritz deal did not go since the MVCI property is right there.

Wow- totally cool-
This could make a lot of sense with announcement of GCV recently, they may need another West Coast option to help balance reservations. I am loving this rumor, not so much that I have plans for Hawaii anytime soon, but I would love to go to DL in a few years and if West Coast DVC owners have Hawaii as an option at 7 months, I think that would increase my chances of getting GCV.

Here's hoping! Fingers crossed.

Well, if they are going to build with direct access to lagoon 1 and 2 then that means they would be building between the JW Marriott which is on lagoon 1 and Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club which is on lagoon 3.

We will be there for two weeks with out girls next summer. We will be staying one week at the JW Marriott then move over to Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club for our second week. So looking forward to it.

If this rumor turns out to be true, this would represent a major push to the west coast. West Coasters think of Hawaii as you East Coasters think of the Caribbean. This will stimulate sales on the west coast for sure, and help balance out the descrepancy of East to West Membership. For anyone who has never been to Hawaii, there is really no comparison to most Islands of the Caribbean. It has no third world component (as some of the Caribbean Islands do). It is more gographically diverse, and the weather is generally more comfortable in the summer. It is just like visiting another state, except it's tropical. (Downside, it's expensive). This would also be a great combo destination, Disneyland for 3 days, Hawaii for 4. LA is a natural stopping place for a flight to Hawaii from the East Coast.

Hmmm This makes me rethink about buying pts at the GCV that are being built. So to wait or to buy:confused3

The trouble with pts is that if you have pts at one place and want to stay somewhere else you need to take a chance getting the time you want at the 7 mo mark or buy more so for sure to get it.

We want to buy at DL/GC because getting in at the 7 mo. mark will be tough and that is where we now use most of our pts at since we live in SanDiego. Unless htey say we can still stay there in a studio in the main part of the hotel than we need not buy pts....dont need a Villa persay.

But Hawaii well even thoug we do DL all the time...no brainer, Hawaii would be the smartest move. But than you gamble...unless they start building in Hawaii and know that it is a done deal, than we will wait for that. But if they dont and sell DVC/GC it will be a hard decision to wait.

Please post what the news relates to tonight.

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter