• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible they might but I don't think it would be a business move by Disney. I don't think they want to do anything to deter locals from going to WDW to spend their money.

I don't think they really care about the locals that much. As a local AP holder this will stop us from doing longer trips at Disney - I guess we'll stick to day trips until our passes expire. The increased fees/costs/upsell events is just too frustrating for me anymore.

Parking for DVC members is covered by the annual dues. And those do go up each year for the most part.

They still have annual passes because AP holders are a relatively small segment of WDW guests. They are still making money on everybody else. Not like Disneyland which had to crack down on annual passes.

Guests with valid accessible parking tags can register their car at the resort and won't be charged.

Another thought: a friend of mine said "well people can just use ME and rely on Disney buses instead," however my counter to that was, it's going to tax an already overtaxed bus system and yet again, not every single guest is capable, for whatever reason, of using any bus including a Disney bus which are usually extremely crowded. I just feel this cannot end well.

You know this is just the beginning.

You know that parking rates will increase each year.

Then they can start charging dvc members and annual pass holder for parking too (of course wdw will give them a small discount so it makes them look like they are throwing them a bone.

They might start charging for magical express. I can’t see why they wouldn’t because it doesn’t benefit wdw not to charge for the service.

You know what I’m most surprised about? That they haven’t eliminated the annual passes by now.

I wonder how they can make money when a passholder stays off-site and then brings in their own food everyday to the parks.

Nothing they do surprises me anymore.
AP holders have to pay to park at resort hotels.

The more I think about it the less sense it makes. I mean, at this point, would anyone notice if they raised resort rates by $25 a night?? Id just roll my eyes, make a joke about selling organs for my trip and move on. But to take something that's been free for a million years and charge? The optics are terrible.
I agree with you - they already charge for resort parking (even if I don't park) and DME. And you know what? I'm okay with it. I love staying on property.
Optics are important. Do marketing people not get that? I look up prices on line and see $120/night - looks good to me. Then I see parking at $25/night and resort fee of $20/night and now I'm looking at $165/night. Is there some law or regulation that prohibits a hotel/resort from offering a room for $165 and announcing free parking and no resort fee? Disney is essentially doing this right now; POFQ Garden View is $247/night in June - resort fee is $20 and parking is $25 which makes the room $202/night. And I have to pay that parking fee even if I take DME and do not park a car.

I also don't want to stir any pots but I do feel we will suddenly see a huge uptick in disabled parking tags. How will Disney assure each and every single one, from all over the country or even the world, is truly valid?!

I agree. I just called concerning my Oct ressie which I made last Nov., no charge for that. Also it's on rented DVC points, I neglected to ask about that. I'm settling the estate for a relative who left a disabled parking tag which is valid until 2022, very tempting.

Bill From PA

Like a PP said, at this point, would any of us really even super notice say, a $13/night upcharge at a value? I would probably just say "oh well..." instead of the annoyance at now I'm being charged yet another fee, this time for parking.

Think about it this way though...that $13 parking fee might will probably not be part of any discounts, whereas simply folding it into the room rate would. Sounds like small potatoes, but a 15% discount on $13/night X however many cars are in the parking lot at a value (and even more for mods and deluxes) would add up in a hurry.

I just don't think this is really going to affect Disney at all.

I appreciate why people are upset and believe you that you will stay off-site. But not enough of you will to make any real difference.
There will be too many people like us, who only travel there every few years, stay on-site, like the after hours events that they have been offering and will pay the piper until we tire of going to Disney altogether.

Staying on-site at Yacht Club and being able to walk to two parks is just too good to let go! Now with the gondolas, people won't have to rely on the bus as much.

I was upset when Polynesian changed what was once standard view to marina/pool views for over $100 more a night and people told me that it was a smart business move by Disney. Everyone has their own issues with Disney, I just don't think a parking fee will break them- a blip, but new bookings won't even notice.

I'm not defending this decision (nor do I like it as we typically do have a car during our WDW vacations), however it is a great business decision by Disney. WDW wants to hold you captive on property so they get more of your money, they don't want you to easily be able to drive off property for non-WDW food or to visit Universal and spend your money there. They are hoping more people decide NOT to bring a car and they have now made it easier to get around WDW property with the Minnie Van service for those people who don't like dealing with the buses. So basically they are trying to recoup some of the money they lose from people who bring a car and eat off property of leave WDW property to visit another tourist attraction. This is clearly not a popular decision so it will be interesting to see how it affects attendance and if they end up losing more money on guests who simply give up and decide not to visit at all.

Makes sense, but I'd be curious what percentage of guests drive there in their own vehicle versus those who arrive on an airplane. And what percentage of those who drive stay on property the whole time versus those who leave. I'd imagine some of the most frequent WDW guests are within driving distance. And those of us who are not in close proximity sometimes consider driving there for our trips just to save on airfare. I'm in upstate NY and Orlando is a 20 hour drive for us. My SIL and BIL took their family of 4 last year and opted to drive to save some money because Disney is so expensive to begin with, pushing airfare too far out of their budget. They left their car in the same parking spot and didn't move it the whole time, taking full advantage of all of WDW's amenities and dining, etc. So it's still isolating to people like this who intend to spend the whole time on property and only use their vehicle as a means of getting there.

Last edited:
Think about it this way though...that $13 parking fee might will probably not be part of any discounts, whereas simply folding it into the room rate would. Sounds like small potatoes, but a 15% discount on $13/night X however many cars are in the parking lot at a value (and even more for mods and deluxes) would add up in a hurry.

Plus, rolling it into the room rate wouldn't cause as many people to start thinking "maybe i don't need to rent a car and can just use disney transportation".

that's going to be the issue, is how much business Disney will lose over the parking charges. They apparently think they won't lose enough for it to make much of a difference.

I'm contemplating cancelling our upcoming trip, even though I made the reservations back in January.
It's just the principle of the thing. We used to go at least once a year, but then between the rising costs, rising crowds, and diminished overall experience, we took a few years off and went and did the Caribbean beach deal.
We stayed all inclusive, and those trips OUT OF THE COUNTRY with airfare and food and alcohol included were cheaper than staying at POFQ with no food, no air, no alcohol.
And now you want us to pay to park on your Magical Asphalt?
Gee wiz Disney, enough is enough.

This of course totally makes sense. I am just absolutely awful at math so I didn't even think of it in this manner at first! Blah this is just stinky all around!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter