• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always been an onsite person. Until last year, I couldn't even tell you the last time I stayed offsite. It was at least 20 years, probably longer. I've stayed at all levels, value to deluxe. Last year we were doing a split stay in the cabins and AoA suites when I got an offer offsite that made sense since we were planning a couple of days at non-Disney parks so we cancelled the cabins and did that part offsite. It was amazing and we saved so much money we were able to go AGAIN in later in the year (again, offsite). We have already booked onsite for November but I think it will be our last onsite trip. There is pretty much no incentive to pay 3-4 times as much to stay in a Disney resort anymore. Once upon a time, a Disney vacation wasn't that much different cost-wise from any other trip. Those days are long gone and getting further away.

So let's recap...

Dogs allowed at resorts now.

Daily Security checks.

Charging for parking.

Off-site hotels given the 60 day FP privilege.

Did I miss anything?

I was *just* thinking about this. I'm a huge Disney fan, but I had almost reached the tipping point of staying off-site (Hilton Bonnet Creek) with the dog issue and then the Daily checks and the parking issue happened...

I also don't want to stir any pots but I do feel we will suddenly see a huge uptick in disabled parking tags. How will Disney assure each and every single one, from all over the country or even the world, is truly valid?! What if I prefer to drive because crowded buses give me anxiety, but I don't have a disability parking pass in day-to-day life because I wouldn't need one probably? Not all disabilities would need a parking pass from the guest's home base (I would think). I think this is just a very poor move all around. This is really just coming off as greed now.

That was my first thought. We just got back from our first ever trip with a wheelchair user. Thank goodness it was a driving trip because the buses were DISMAL for a guest in a chair. Our room was near the last bus stop at CBR and we had several days where we waited through 2-3 buses that arrived at our stop too full to accommodate the chair before we just got in my van and drove. By the end of the trip, driving was the default which is saying something because I hate driving on property. But we don't have a handicapped permit because the person using the chair doesn't need it (the permit or the chair, most of the time) at home. So with this fee, our choice would be an extra hundred bucks for the privilege of being able to get to the parks in a reasonably timely fashion or waiting around through seemingly endless assurances that "the next bus" would have enough empty space to load the wheelchair.

This is what in all likelihood the straw that is going to send me off-site on future trips. I looked at Swan/Dolphin before but because of the added on fees I decided no. Well if Disney is going to squeeze more money out of me I might as well stay at a hotel with better rooms and eat a few more meals there as well. I swear when the next recession hits and they find out how many fewer people will stay during economic downturns at their hotels I will laugh my fool head off.

That was my first thought. We just got back from our first ever trip with a wheelchair user. Thank goodness it was a driving trip because the buses were DISMAL for a guest in a chair. Our room was near the last bus stop at CBR and we had several days where we waited through 2-3 buses that arrived at our stop too full to accommodate the chair before we just got in my van and drove. By the end of the trip, driving was the default which is saying something because I hate driving on property. But we don't have a handicapped permit because the person using the chair doesn't need it (the permit or the chair, most of the time) at home. So with this fee, our choice would be an extra hundred bucks for the privilege of being able to get to the parks in a reasonably timely fashion or waiting around through seemingly endless assurances that "the next bus" would have enough empty space to load the wheelchair.
My dad is disabled but for a long time he refused to get a placard. I kept telling him to get it just in case. So he finally did. We use it for Disney as well as sports venues but that's really about it. Well worth it though.

I totally understand the handling fee for delivery...they got socked with packages because there were so many deliveries of groceries or water to the resorts.

I don't care about the dogs. They are only at a few resorts. Does Hilton Bonnet Creek allow dogs? A lot of places do now. They would have to allow service dogs, and there's a lot of fake service dog or emotional support dog issues these days, so there could still be dogs turning up.

I know people are very upset about some of the offsite resorts getting fastpasses at 60+. It doesn't seem right to take it beyond Swan/Dolphin or Shades of Green.

Think about it this way though...that $13 parking fee might will probably not be part of any discounts, whereas simply folding it into the room rate would. Sounds like small potatoes, but a 15% discount on $13/night X however many cars are in the parking lot at a value (and even more for mods and deluxes) would add up in a hurry.
Yea, but we already pay way more for the room that it costs at comparable hotel/motels

So let's recap...

Dogs allowed at resorts now.

Daily Security checks.

Charging for parking.

Off-site hotels given the 60 day FP privilege.

Did I miss anything?
The added EMH given to some offsite hotels and tiered ticket pricing.

We fly in and use ME, but I’m mad at this simply as another cash cow. I think they know they have the crowds, the following, and they figure why not if they can get it great. With our bigger family I am now seriously researching staying off property if we should decide to return. This trip coming up I’m Specifically looking at how often rides are down, how crowded it will feel at the end of August due to simply cutting back on ride capacity and the friendliness of CMs which all factor into why we originally chose to vacation in Disney. If I am not seeing a good use and value for the money I’m paying hard decisions will be made to vacation elsewhere. Maybe this is what Disney as a company is counting on...old timers who have been there enough to move on. We are already booked for this year onsite and depending on how this trip goes will help us decide if we will be back. I assumed the inflated Disney hotel prices already “included” parking as compared to what you would pay offsite for larger accommodations plus a separate parking/Resort fee. Will a free parking promo now replace free dining?

Again, most new timers or once in a life time trippers may not even notice or care about this fee.....

Last edited:
Now they just need to start charging a fee for Disney's Magical Express. And for anyone parking at the Boardwalk who isn't a guest of the BW. They really ought to charge for short term parking at the resorts unless you get a parking credit for dining or shopping at the resort. Spend $25 at the resort, you get one hour free. Spend $50 get two hours free. Spend $75 get three hours free.
Disagree. Flat fee. I mean,I disagree with the new parking fees, too, but the day parking shouldn't be reliant on amount spent.

How will they distinguish between day and overnight guest?

Thinking more. I guess they will tow cars without tags at 3am??
Magic bands? But no, they won't be towing. Defeats the point of charging.
Forgive me, for the misquote on the pricing for the deluxe resorts. He was telling me without being in front of his computer. I guess the fact that he said $34 vs $24 was a brain fart. lol Sadly, now we all know.
Well, Valet increases to $33, so your source can be excused :)
Re: free parking for hotel day guests, if you read the info on WDW's website a bit more closely, it doesn't say that it's free parking for ALL day guests. It says this:

"Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels."

(bolding is mine)
"Select" usually means all, until it doesn't. The WDW vacation commercials use the same word. Pretty sure its a CYA thing.

Just saw someone that is staying at AKL, (not DVC), and is coming from EU for 18 Nights, with a car rental. Almost $400 in parking. This place is getting out of control. Should be charging those coming in for “dining reservations”.
Existing reservations, and reservations booked by 3/20, not affected.
What if I prefer to drive because crowded buses give me anxiety, but I don't have a disability parking pass in day-to-day life because I wouldn't need one probably? Not all disabilities would need a parking pass from the guest's home base (I would think).
See your state's disabled parking placard rules, but generally they're for mobility disabilities. In Massachusetts:
To obtain disability plates, a placard or a disability veteran plate, you must be a Massachusetts resident. A Massachusetts registered and licensed physician, chiropractor, registered nurse, physician's assistant, osteopath, optometrist (for legally blindness only) or podiatrist must certify that you meet one of the following conditions:

• Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.

• Cannot walk without the assistance of another person, prosthetic aid or other assistive device.

• Are restricted by lung disease to such a degree that your forced (respiratory) expiratory volume (FEV) in 1 second, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter.

• Use portable oxygen.

• Have a Class III cardiac condition according to the standards set by the American Heart Association.

• Have a Class IV cardiac condition according to the standards set by the American Heart Association. A customer in this condition must surrender their license.

• Have Class III or Class IV functional arthritis according to the standards set by the American College of Rheumatology.

• Have Stage III or Stage IV anatomic arthritis according to the standards set by the American College of Rheumatology.

• Have been declared legally blind (please attach copy of certification). A customer in this classification must surrender their license.

• Have lost one or more limbs or permanently lost the use of one or more limbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter