• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Resorts to start charging parking fees....

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a public company, Disney's duty is to maximize the value of its shareholders' interest. Making money is directly related to maximizing value - but it's more than just making money and includes other variables (like how that money is made and impact on value over time). Disney could make a boatload of money today by selling off its assets, or auctioning off the Marvel and Star Wars IP - but it's not doing that because there's greater shareholder value in holding on to those properties and developing them in the future than selling them off today. And that's where things like the parking fees get complicated - yes, those fees make money today and increase shareholder value in the short term. But if aggressive price increases erode guest satisfaction, corporate goodwill, and repeat business in the long term - Disney has made money in the short term but it hasn't necessarily maximized shareholder value if that leads to long term declines in the business. Absent a rapid reaction by the market, however, the total impact of incremental price increases long term is something that current management can leave to the next round of executives to deal with.

Marvel’s “Black Panther” continues its record-breaking streak, passing the $1 billion mark at the global box office in just 26 days.

The Ryan Coogler tentpole is the 33rd movie to gross $1 billion. It’s the 16th Disney film to reach this milestone,

And they still want my money to park at their hotel!

I said in my email and phone call it doesn't matter *why* people drive to Disney, everyone has different reasons (local, driving is cheaper than flying, rent a car for flexibility, etc). They are being punished for having a car, period.
Yep. Especially since Magical Express is "free" (i.e. built into the room cost.) You are now essentially double paying by driving, for airport transportation you don't need and to park your car at your hotel.

Marvel’s “Black Panther” continues its record-breaking streak, passing the $1 billion mark at the global box office in just 26 days.

The Ryan Coogler tentpole is the 33rd movie to gross $1 billion. It’s the 16th Disney film to reach this milestone,

And they still want my money to park at their hotel!

That money has nothing to do with parks/resorts.

Yep. Especially since Magical Express is "free" (i.e. built into the room cost.) You are now essentially double paying by driving, for airport transportation you don't need and to park your car at your hotel.
I think you are the first to point out the double paying factor in over 2000 posts. Good job!

That money has nothing to do with parks/resorts.

Are Parks and Resorts stocks different than Studio Entertainment stocks? I thought DIS stock included all 4 segments of their business, just as TJX stock includes HomeGoods, Marshalls, TJMaxx, HomeSense, Sierra Trading Post, TKMaxx and Winners....but I could be wrong.

Are Parks and Resorts stocks different than Studio Entertainment stocks? I thought DIS stock included all 4 segments of their business, just as TJX stock includes HomeGoods, Marshalls, TJMaxx, HomeSense, Sierra Trading Post, TKMaxx and Winners....but I could be wrong.

I have no idea about stocks, but I don't think they take money from one division of a company to pay for another division of the company. Each division has it's own budget.

Ha! First of all, Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish, so Im not sure what he was translating. Second, I have read posts about Brazilians teen behavior, but I have also seen the same thing about American cheerleading competition groups and other American teen athletes for competition being unruly, cheering (what you call chanting), singing, laughing being loud teenagers, because that is what happens when you get a group of teens together. I never understood why the word "American" is never used when talking about them, but any time someone looking latino (which Brazilians are not) and speaking a foreign language, people are quick to throw "Brazilian" in their sentence.

Last, the person I quoted said some comment about thrifty Brazilians piling into a car. I have no idea why someone would make a comment like that. It had NOTHING to do with this thread or conversation. It was being discussed that the UK gets great deals on WDW vacations and Brazilians do not. The comment made after that was unnecessary. If it was a group of Americans on the bus singing Let it Go at the top of there lungs (which Ive heard many times in line at rides) nobody blinks, but foreigners cant sing in their native language?

Just WOW.

I guess Ill tell my daughter she cant sing or clap while at Disney. But maybe is doesnt bother people at the Deluxes, which is where we typically stay. So to reply to your comment, no Ive never been on a bus returning to a value resort....which is why I comment on this thread about the parking fee. Should I get 2 cars for my family of 5? Wouldnt wnt any comments made about us piling in and looking like clowns coming out.

View attachment 310523
I didn't say they were Brazilians.
I said they were South American and they were speaking/singing in Spanish.....:-)

I have no idea about stocks, but I don't think they take money from one division of a company to pay for another division of the company. Each division has it's own budget.

I was responding to a post.....

"As a public company, Disney's duty is to maximize the value of its shareholders' interest." etc.....

My comment was regarding stocks, what shareholders own.

I don't feel like retyping my entire post again so here's what I posted on another web site.
Well.......
I just got off the phone with Luke, a WDW Guest Experience Services Rep.
He thanked me for my three e mails and assured me that George was concerned by the large number of similar complaints that he's received. We discussed the current atmosphere on boards such as this one and he said that they do monitor them closely and have been concerned by the large up swelling of unhappy Disney customers who are commenting on the situation. He said they are particularly concerned by the sheer number of people who have taken the time to write Disney and express their displeasure. (The number of e mails seems to be a trigger for them so if anyone out there hasn't written one yet, do so.)
I explained our family situation insofar as we aren't in the "upper class" income bracket and a trip to WDW is a major financial commitment for us. The conversation went into the background of Boomers like myself who grew up having Walt in our homes every week on his TV programs and having the MM Club on the TV every school day evening. I told him that it has been the long time Disney devotees who have sustained the Disney Company for over fifty years and that I, and I presumed many others like me, were disappointed in the money grubbing attitude put forth by the Company in recent years. I mentioned Mr Igers astronomical income figure and noted that he was likely a valuable asset to them but those of us attending the parks feel like we're giving him large amounts of money and he's milking us dry to maintain that income level.
He assured me that the upper Management are paying close attention to the situation and have been discussing the unusually large response to the new fees. I explained that it wasn't the parking fees themselves that brought this situation on but an overall attitude of the Disney Company that we should just shut up and pay up. I went on to give him my Wife's take on the whole situation and told him that whether we return to WDW in future years or not will likely hinge on if she decides to go one more time, and how she feels about the experience. She, like many others, wants a fair return on our investment and if we have to keep shelling out more, and more, money for an experience that gives us less, and less, enjoyment we will stop visiting.
In closing he told me to keep an eye on the Fan sites, like this one, and the Disney Blogs and to not lose faith in Disney just yet.
I mentioned to him that I'd seen where Catherine Powell, Head of Disney Paris, had been named as the head of Disney Western Region, which includes WDW, and judging by her reputation as a customer oriented leader I was hoping that she could convince George to return to the old policy of "Customer First". He said he hadn't seen the news about Ms Powell but he would share our discussion with George personally.
I've spent a considerable number of years questioning/interrogating people and have developed a very acute BS meter.
This conversation was, IMO, a fishing expedition, and not a "canned response" call, for WDW Management to feel out whether we are serious about our angst over the new fees or if we are just venting for the moment. He was contrite and repeated that Disney valued those of us who spend our hard earned dollars at their venues. My feeling is that they had no idea that this issue would balloon to the proportions that it has and expected it to dry up and blow away in a couple of days.
Perhaps if people continue to make this a talking point the Management will accede to their unhappy customers and take some measures to sooth over our damaged faith in their judgment.
BTW; He never once mentioned the ridiculous "Industry Standard" stance.

I was responding to a post.....

"As a public company, Disney's duty is to maximize the value of its shareholders' interest." etc.....

My comment was regarding stocks, what shareholders own.

Okay. I read your post as saying those movies are making so much money, but they are asking people to pay for parking - meaning that they don't need money.

No harm no foul. :)

Thanks UncleMike101 for sharing you recent call experience.

For some of you out there..........Even if you originally felt that sending off an email would not have an impact on the decision, please reconsider and send one out. The sheer volume of emails and letters may help move the needle a little bit............if not on this issue........maybe the next one.

It all falls under the Walt Disney Company - DIS stock. So divisions that are doing well contribute positively to the bottom line and others drag it down. A parks and resorts division pulling in even more to their bottom line by adding a parking fee helps the Disney corporation. Everything ends up eventually consolidating down to final number.

We have a trip booked in May for Saratoga Springs (not DVC) This is our first trip in a long time.

While I am glad to hear the fee won't apply to our reservation, I can say with certainty we would rent a house offsite if it did. If we are going to pay parking for a rental car, I would rather pay it at the parks and rent something more spacious offsite for less money.

I've read all the pages and agree so much, even though we are DVC and won't pay for parking. I looked into the prices of the Hilton by DS. That's where we'd stay if we had to get a hotel room. It was so much cheaper and offered everything we would need/want.

I don't understand why Disney rooms are so expensive. The 'industry standard' a few miles away from WDW have much lower rates.

Can someone post the email addresses again?

I've read all the pages and agree so much, even though we are DVC and won't pay for parking. I looked into the prices of the Hilton by DS. That's where we'd stay if we had to get a hotel room. It was so much cheaper and offered everything we would need/want.

I don't understand why Disney rooms are so expensive. The 'industry standard' a few miles away from WDW have much lower rates.

Can someone post the email addresses again?
try these..

robert.a.iger@disney.com
George.kalogridis@disney.com
guest.services@disneyworld.com

People seem to be getting the best interactions from the office of George Kalogridis

Last edited:
I don't feel like retyping my entire post again so here's what I posted on another web site.
Well.......
I just got off the phone with Luke, a WDW Guest Experience Services Rep.
He thanked me for my three e mails and assured me that George was concerned by the large number of similar complaints that he's received. We discussed the current atmosphere on boards such as this one and he said that they do monitor them closely and have been concerned by the large up swelling of unhappy Disney customers who are commenting on the situation. He said they are particularly concerned by the sheer number of people who have taken the time to write Disney and express their displeasure. (The number of e mails seems to be a trigger for them so if anyone out there hasn't written one yet, do so.)
I explained our family situation insofar as we aren't in the "upper class" income bracket and a trip to WDW is a major financial commitment for us. The conversation went into the background of Boomers like myself who grew up having Walt in our homes every week on his TV programs and having the MM Club on the TV every school day evening. I told him that it has been the long time Disney devotees who have sustained the Disney Company for over fifty years and that I, and I presumed many others like me, were disappointed in the money grubbing attitude put forth by the Company in recent years. I mentioned Mr Igers astronomical income figure and noted that he was likely a valuable asset to them but those of us attending the parks feel like we're giving him large amounts of money and he's milking us dry to maintain that income level.
He assured me that the upper Management are paying close attention to the situation and have been discussing the unusually large response to the new fees. I explained that it wasn't the parking fees themselves that brought this situation on but an overall attitude of the Disney Company that we should just shut up and pay up. I went on to give him my Wife's take on the whole situation and told him that whether we return to WDW in future years or not will likely hinge on if she decides to go one more time, and how she feels about the experience. She, like many others, wants a fair return on our investment and if we have to keep shelling out more, and more, money for an experience that gives us less, and less, enjoyment we will stop visiting.
In closing he told me to keep an eye on the Fan sites, like this one, and the Disney Blogs and to not lose faith in Disney just yet.
I mentioned to him that I'd seen where Catherine Powell, Head of Disney Paris, had been named as the head of Disney Western Region, which includes WDW, and judging by her reputation as a customer oriented leader I was hoping that she could convince George to return to the old policy of "Customer First". He said he hadn't seen the news about Ms Powell but he would share our discussion with George personally.
I've spent a considerable number of years questioning/interrogating people and have developed a very acute BS meter.
This conversation was, IMO, a fishing expedition, and not a "canned response" call, for WDW Management to feel out whether we are serious about our angst over the new fees or if we are just venting for the moment. He was contrite and repeated that Disney valued those of us who spend our hard earned dollars at their venues. My feeling is that they had no idea that this issue would balloon to the proportions that it has and expected it to dry up and blow away in a couple of days.
Perhaps if people continue to make this a talking point the Management will accede to their unhappy customers and take some measures to sooth over our damaged faith in their judgment.
BTW; He never once mentioned the ridiculous "Industry Standard" stance.

Thank you for posting this. It will help prepare me for my phone call with one of George K's representatives. I too am a lifelong Disney fan and a boomer and never thought I would be feeling this way about Disney, in spite of many indications up to this point that their priorities have been shifting. We've always been able to find the magic. But this is different because of how it unfairly targets those of us who drive. I still hope to share the WDW I love with future grandchildren, but I will have to wait and see what direction they choose to go.

BTW, I can't thank the people enough who are DVC, or who take DME and are not affected by this charge, who are sending emails and calling. It would be so easy to say "this doesn't affect me" and not get involved. Thank you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter