Disney Skyliner Crash?

I just keep thinking what if this happened in Aug at noon in hot weather. I would think those gondolas would be like sitting in an oven. I know they have ventilation, but from what I understand its the quick movement of the gondola that makes the air flow. If they are sitting still and there is no breeze, I would think those things would heat up fast.

Lawyers? how money grabbing do people see fit to be! I hope nothing like that comes to be.
Now, I certainly feel the pain for the guests who were involved. I actually feel bad for the cast members who had to endure the ordeal also. This is not something the powers that be want to have to deal with. BUT, they have to make it right and SOON!!. I hope they have twice as many buses running. My own personally feeling from the get go was- no thanks, I'll take the bus.

I’d call it a malfunction that caused a crash.
Was there an actual crash? :confused: Do we know any more about this incident? Are they still up there? Unless something truly terrible happened, I'm firmly in the "Keep Calm and Carry On" camp. I've been stuck for periods of time on all sorts of gondolas, ski lifts and rides, including Disney rides. 20 minutes or so near the top of Mickey's Fun Wheel at DCA, with a pair of youngsters we had to help keep from panicking. These things happen. {{yawn}}

Was there an actual crash? :confused: Do we know any more about this incident? Are they still up there? Unless something truly terrible happened, I'm firmly in the "Keep Calm and Carry On" camp. I've been stuck for periods of time on all sorts of gondolas, ski lifts and rides, including Disney rides. 20 minutes or so near the top of Mickey's Fun Wheel at DCA, with a pair of youngsters we had to help keep from panicking. These things happen. {{yawn}}
You might feel differently if you were in the gondola that was crushed or if you were stuck for 3+ hours in the heat with sick people.

there was a discussion months ago in this forum about people like me, who are not planning on ride the gondolas ever because of the risk of this exactly escenario happening and Wow it happened way too soon. Disney obviously did their best but this kind of system is too risky for Florida weather, again the heat, the thunderstorm, why do they build a skyliner that it’s guaranteed to have people stranded very often? I can’t imagine being 3 hours stuck let’s say with a disable child or someone with any medical condition. Think about what if during those 3 hours a tunderstorm rolls in? Disney have no way to evacuate people on it fast enough and that is the worst about this happening, now we know it could be as much as 3 hours.

You might feel differently if you were in the gondola that was crushed or if you were stuck for 3+ hours in the heat with sick people.
Nothing appears to be "crushed". The cars bumped into one another as they all came to a stop. I see no carnage in the picture. And I've not see the report of 3+ hours. Maybe you could post a link to that one. Was this startling, inconvenient and maybe scary, depending on one's tolerance - sure. Hardly life-altering though. What do you think should happen now? :scratchin

Nothing appears to be "crushed". The cars bumped into one another as they all came to a stop.
Did you read the account that you posted?
I see no carnage in the picture.
Nobody said anything about carnage.
And I've not see the report of 3+ hours. Maybe you could post a link to that one.
There are various reports of this on different threads. Here’s one.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/that-didnt-take-long-skyliner-accident.3773018/page-2
What do you think should happen now? :scratchin
I don’t know. People should take the bus I guess.

My opinion is that the 'bumping' of the cars in the station was not the really terrible thing, but rather the necessarily tedious and long evacuation process that that mode of transportation requires in case of an 'event'.
When this sort of thing happens in the mountains (and it does - mechanical breakdowns happen), there is no way to evacuate each car because they are far, far too high up. The process is to manually (not sure exactly how this is done) advance the cables and bring the cars into the dock. The process can take a long time and being stuck in the cold is precarious. I've never read a report of a ski resort being sued for this.

Did you read the account that you posted?

Nobody said anything about carnage.

There are various reports of this on different threads. Here’s one.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/that-didnt-take-long-skyliner-accident.3773018/page-2
I don’t know. People should take the bus I guess.
Yes, I read it - which is what formed my opinion on how minor, if inconvenient, this was. "Accident" and "crash" are terms that simply don't apply. I read your comments to imply you felt otherwise and I do concur that if people don't feel secure using the gondola they should simply not use it.

Yes, I read it - which is what formed my opinion on how minor, if inconvenient, this was. "Accident" and "crash" are terms that simply don't apply. I read your comments to imply you felt otherwise and I do concur that if people don't feel secure using the gondola they should simply not use it.
Call it what you’d like, but it certainly sounds like more then a bump to me when plexiglass breaks, doors are bent up and metal on metal is screeching because a gondola car is pushing your car into another one.

I wouldn't call it a crash or an accident -- just a power outage or malfunction. Big difference.

Read more - definitely a collision of gondolas, broken Plexiglas (and isn't Plexiglas supposed to be hard to break?)

You were wrong in your assumption - would you care to correct it?

Nothing appears to be "crushed". The cars bumped into one another as they all came to a stop. I see no carnage in the picture. And I've not see the report of 3+ hours. Maybe you could post a link to that one. Was this startling, inconvenient and maybe scary, depending on one's tolerance - sure. Hardly life-altering though. What do you think should happen now? :scratchin

Crushed - broken Plexiglas, bent frames.

My opinion is that the 'bumping' of the cars in the station was not the really terrible thing, but rather the necessarily tedious and long evacuation process that that mode of transportation requires in case of an 'event'.

Not just a bump, a collision strong enough to break Plexiglas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter