Disneyland Needs Help

Thank you to SMD for articulating my thoughts and frustrations in a more appropriate manner. I've been snooping on the boards for years, and I got to the point where I just feel like I've had enough. I've met a lot of great visitors in the park, but the audience on these boards is different. I got to the point where I felt I really couldn't handle the animosity on here towards locals. The general sentiment on here seems to be that locals aren't welcome when you are visiting. You would never visit Paris and complain that there were too many French people, or that they should price the French out so they can't afford their own city. I'm sure other people that live in tourist areas understand the frustration of being told over and over that we don't belong in our own hometown.

I've lived near 2 major tourist destinations in my life, and I can't say I have ever felt as though I were being told that I didn't belong in my own town.

I'm actually surprised by the comments re:animosity here because I have always seen the dlr forum as a retreat from other places due to always feeling incredibly welcome here and everyone in.general being so nice.

Let's remove the idea of crowds and rude patrons for a moment and take a look at the other concerns. I live in Colorado and used to be a Premier Passport (WDW & DLR annual pass with no blackout days) holder for numerous years upon its inception. I'm a DVC member with two home resorts (Grand Californian & Animal Kingdom Villas) I admit, and am never shamed by how much money I spend at Disney parks. I love Disney. However! I am no longer a Premier Passport holder because I began to have some of the same concerns as the OP. Again, forget the crowds, forget the rude guests, forget the sometimes grouchy cast members. Focus entirely on the physical attributes of the parks. The past few years when I've visited Disneyland, 'I've thought, good grief they're letting this place go.' Graffiti, trash, upkeep in general is LACKING lately. And it's sad! It's sad to see certain areas of the parks at DLR be forgotten and take such a visable nosedive. If no other issues are ever addressed, this should be one that Disney cares about most. I dont care about the crowds, they're to be expected. I dont care if a cast member is a little grouchy or not greeting me with Disney magic, everyone has an off/bad day. What I care about are the actual parks I'm experiencing. And if they're not good shape, that affects my experience more than most other things. I think it's very important for DLR to get a handle on this now while it's still a managable problem, because honestly it's the reason I no longer visit as often anymore, and when I do only purchase a day pass. And yes, I'm sure my few (thousand) bucks dont matter that much in the big scheme of things right now. But if it gets to a point where my concerns and the OP's concerns start to be everyone's concerns, then DLR might have a problem on its hands.

I'm sure my few (thousand) bucks dont matter that much in the big scheme of things right now.

Now I know why the singing donkey is gone, because the several thousands of dollars, that's right, good old fashioned USD man, that DLR is going without.

Lol. :faint:

I've lived near 2 major tourist destinations in my life, and I can't say I have ever felt as though I were being told that I didn't belong in my own town.

I'm actually surprised by the comments re:animosity here because I have always seen the dlr forum as a retreat from other places due to always feeling incredibly welcome here and everyone in.general being so nice.

YES!

This is one of the nicest places, forum-wise, that I have ever visited online! Not to say that people aren't occasionally rude or out of line, that happens everywhere.

I'm going to go ahead and move this to our community board since this thread really isn't about planning a trip to the Disneyland Resort.

YES!

This is one of the nicest places, forum-wise, that I have ever visited online! Not to say that people aren't occasionally rude or out of line, that happens everywhere.
Thanks for noticing. We try really hard to keep these forums welcoming, and we have a great group of regulars, who for the most part care about working with us to keep them this way. :)

Bottom line is what would Mickey want? He tells us what he wants each and every morning at rope drop: his ambassadors greet us all with big Mickey hands and smiles saying, "Welcome home!" Disneyland is all of our home - locals, tourists, passholders, young, old, disabled and able. Once we all do our very best to treat each other as the friendly neighbors who Mr. Disney built the park for despite the crowds and challenges that inevitably come with that many people in one place, the more MAGIC that will be in our hearts.

During a trip we made 4 or 5 years ago, I found the park to be in deplorable condition. Pealing paint and a clear lack of maint. and repair was evident everywhere. I went to the top deck of the Mark Twain and looked down upon the lower decks nearly destroyed from wear and railings covered in filth. The same could be said for much of the park.
It really reminded me of a roving carnival. It truly made me feel very bad and I took it as a personal affront because of my appreciation and respect for the park. It was clear that Disney was only in it to make a buck off the park and reminded me greatly of the corporate greed atmosphere I came from. I feel when they act in this manner that they disrespect not only the park but all of us fans as well.
Because of all this we didn't go back to the park again for our yearly trip for almost two years. Instead, we went to Hawaii and other places.
When we finally returned I was pleased to find the park in much better condition - with the exception of Autopia, which they clearly plan on removing.
So my suggestion is to give it some time before going back. It will make you feel better in that you wont feel taken advantage of (at least that's the way I felt) and it will give Disney a chance to see the light.

During a trip we made 4 or 5 years ago, I found the park to be in deplorable condition. Pealing paint and a clear lack of maint. and repair was evident everywhere. I went to the top deck of the Mark Twain and looked down upon the lower decks nearly destroyed from wear and railings covered in filth. The same could be said for much of the park.
It really reminded me of a roving carnival. It truly made me feel very bad and I took it as a personal affront because of my appreciation and respect for the park. It was clear that Disney was only in it to make a buck off the park and reminded me greatly of the corporate greed atmosphere I came from. I feel when they act in this manner that they disrespect not only the park but all of us fans as well.
Because of all this we didn't go back to the park again for our yearly trip for almost two years. Instead, we went to Hawaii and other places.
When we finally returned I was pleased to find the park in much better condition - with the exception of Autopia, which they clearly plan on removing.
So my suggestion is to give it some time before going back. It will make you feel better in that you wont feel taken advantage of (at least that's the way I felt) and it will give Disney a chance to see the light.

I think people forget that maintenance on that park is really expensive and time consuming. You may just be unlucky and catch some areas during your trip right before they're to be re-done or freshened up, so to speak. If you think of the number of people visiting the park on any one day, it's a miracle they keep up as well as they do, at least in my opinion.

I think people forget that maintenance on that park is really expensive and time consuming. You may just be unlucky and catch some areas during your trip right before they're to be re-done or freshened up, so to speak. If you think of the number of people visiting the park on any one day, it's a miracle they keep up as well as they do, at least in my opinion.
You would have had to see the DLR of the pass, not even a leaf out of place, its nothing like it was.But what is?

You would have had to see the DLR of the pass, not even a leaf out of place, its nothing like it was.But what is?

It's also more crowded now than it was in the past, as evidenced by increasing visitor numbers every single year.

That's why I posted what I did. I have seen the park in the condition Walt meant it to stay in and to do not just less, but much less is an affront to Walt's vision and to the people that pay high prices for admission.
Yes, it's expensive to keep the park up, that's one of the reasons we pay more to get in this park than any other theme park on earth.
It's up to us to not settle for mediocrity or that's what we'll get.

It's also more crowded now than it was in the past, as evidenced by increasing visitor numbers every single year.
More visitor's but is was way more crowded in the old days. Short waits where a hour or over, long waits 4 to 5 hours? It really was crazy to ride three rides all day. People really dressed up also, i think there was even a dress code? Men wore suits, women heals and dresses. Even the kids looked like they where dressed for Easter Church. It was a very different park….My gosh i am my grandfarther?

I've only been going to DLR since 2011 and I've been wowed by the whole experience every time. :squirrel: (I thought there was a smiley that shrugged, but I can't find it, so instead you are getting a squirrel here.)

Looks great to me! I am impressed with the landscaping every time. And I think a lot of people love Disneyland so much that they try to preserve and protect it themselves! And teach their kids to appreciate it as well.

P.s. does anyone know a landscaping employee at Disneyland? They must get to work the night shift when the park is empty, I have not noticed any maintenance going on in the daytime. Sounds kind of like a fun job to me...!

P.s. does anyone know a landscaping employee at Disneyland? They must get to work the night shift when the park is empty, I have not noticed any maintenance going on in the daytime. Sounds kind of like a fun job to me...!

I've often wondered about that as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter