Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

Having an announcement come today would be nice symmetry to the October 16 date that they have for making reservations, which is exactly four weeks from now.
Guidelines from Newsom this afternoon, Disney announces tonight that parks open October 16. This gives Disney four weeks to work out all the details, call cast members back and have ample time for any necessary training. Orange County moves up a tier on Tuesday, and then moves up again a couple of weeks later right before parks open.

One can hope, right???

I heard a rumor from a friend that works with travel companies out there we might get an update today but no idea how credible that is.

I could totally see that if Newsom is trying to bury the news. That's a pretty common tactic - announce late on Friday, too late to hit the "front page", by Monday something else will have happened and it's on page 2.

Why would he try to bury it? Speculating (this is the thread for it), but schools aren't open, No Cal hates So Cal, Smoke everywhere, especially in No Cal. Having the parks open is not as universally anticipated (or accepted) as you might think, especially where he is (and is from).

If Disney canceled reservations through October 3, then I think it's time for me to cancel my off site reservations for the 7/8/9th. I just don't see us being able to get in, especially with my AP being still on my app but our PHs falling off (I haven't had a chance to call Disney IT to ask them to try to help).

My kiddo is going to be pretty disappointed.

I could totally see that if Newsom is trying to bury the news. That's a pretty common tactic - announce late on Friday, too late to hit the "front page", by Monday something else will have happened and it's on page 2.

Why would he try to bury it? Speculating (this is the thread for it), but schools aren't open, No Cal hates So Cal, Smoke everywhere, especially in No Cal. Having the parks open is not as universally anticipated (or accepted) as you might think, especially where he is (and is from).

I hope this is the case. I would start my weekend with some fantastic news (depending on if they open Disney before October 14th or not, of course 😂 ).

Lol, Northern California does not hate Southern California. Trust me, I have lived here my whole life. Yes it's life 2 totally different states but we Northern Californians love to visit down there.

I've been kind of avoiding any DL reopening news/talk (i.e. falling down the "soon" hole), but I've noticed a LOT more chatter on my mainstream news channels putting pressure on Newsom to at least address guidelines/reopening of theme parks (specifically DL).

At first, it was the trade group that put out that statement...then I think Wednesday, the new President of DL (I didn't know Rebecca Campbell left, I missed that news from the summer... side note, joke's on Josh Mayer, who left Disney DTC/Int'l to head up TikTok, which has its own issues now, whoops) put out a direct statement on behalf of Disney. That's HUGE to me, it's one thing to have your trade group do it, it's another to stamp "Disney" on that statement.

Like literally, Mickey Mouse does not approve.

P.S. I did not receive a reply back about my legal argument that Disney = Common Carrier and can just open its rides, but I'm hopeful it was taken under advisement :magnify:

No Cal hates So Cal, Smoke everywhere, especially in No Cal. Having the parks open is not as universally anticipated (or accepted) as you might think, especially where he is (and is from).

Lol, Northern California does not hate Southern California. Trust me, I have lived here my whole life. Yes it's life 2 totally different states but we Northern Californians love to visit down there.

Lol, Nor-Cal doesn't hate So-Cal. We just think you steal our water, but we don't hate you* :rotfl2:

You have Disneyland, we have water. It's a fair trade!

*unless you're a Dodger fan, but that rivalry was imported from New York

If Disney canceled reservations through October 3, then I think it's time for me to cancel my off site reservations for the 7/8/9th. I just don't see us being able to get in, especially with my AP being still on my app but our PHs falling off (I haven't had a chance to call Disney IT to ask them to try to help).

My kiddo is going to be pretty disappointed.
PLEASE don’t make decisions based on tickets in or not on the app. Not even 1% of your decision. Tickets and the DLR app have a loooong history of being CRAP. I (and some others from reports) had it so screwed up mid-trip I had to delete the app and make a new account with Disney and load my ticket to that to get it to show. I am absolutely serious when I say their IT is CRAP. People are seriously blowing this disappearing ticket thing out of proportion. It’s not new! Don’t let it scare you! It’s just an old bug coming back to say hi.

Also the original DLR opening announcement had parks opening prior to hotels so I wouldn’t be surprised to see that. No idea if you’ll be able to get reservations but if you don’t need to make the call now I’d wait.

So this feels real similar to the way WDW did it's opening. Disneyland cancelled hotels through October 3rd, which means if they do get to open near the end of the month AP passholders would be the test group for a week or 2. This is almost exactly what WDW did, but only over a couple of days period.

I honestly think Universal and Disney know something, I think this is more of a you need to commit publicly, so everyone knows what's going on.

PLEASE don’t make decisions based on tickets in or not on the app. Not even 1% of your decision. Tickets and the DLR app have a loooong history of being CRAP. I (and some others from reports) had it so screwed up mid-trip I had to delete the app and make a new account with Disney and load my ticket to that to get it to show. I am absolutely serious when I say their IT is CRAP. People are seriously blowing this disappearing ticket thing out of proportion. It’s not new! Don’t let it scare you! It’s just an old bug coming back to say hi.
I know and that is what worries me... since I cannot see the PH's, I wouldn't be able to make park reservations for enough people because the PHs "don't exist."

Or is that irrational of me? I know Disney IT is crap but I think it could really be a sticking point in this specific example... am I wrong?

Like say they open October 4 or something and say "OK, you can make your reservations starting tomorrow." If I only have my AP on the app, there is no way I could make park reservations for both myself and my kiddo, right?
I'm sorry I'm not explaining this very well :headache:

Editing to add:

Would you recommend deleting the app and just starting over, as you had to do? I guess I could try that....

Last edited:
It’s just more than usual. And they seem more specific now.
We have been hearing the same chatter....wondering if something will be said today. Fingers crossed!!!!!!!

As for tickets, @ten6mom ours also disappeared from the app, but I checked today and they are back. No clue how or why. But I agree, Disney IT is not the best.

Oh my, let's hear some Friday spec!
(if you can or want to)

Would be fun to see if one comes true :thumbsup2
If the governor announces today that theme parks can be open, I think Disney will announce their opening date next monday and I think it will be October 5th (I think they would have cancelled later reservations if they didn't think they could open by those dates.) They have already done prep work that they didn't do in June prior to the original opening date so I think that would cut down on prep time to open. I also vaguely remember an article from right before CA went to the color watchlist that said Disney would only need 10 days to open (that was a while ago and I can't find the article to make sure I'm right). That is my guess 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter