Do you ever use the full cooker?

Do you ever use the full cooker in 1BR?

• Yes

Votes: 70 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 14.6%

• Total voters
Pretty unanimous so far, sorry for my North East UK accent confusing people, we call oven the cooker.
This post was after someone on another thread claimed a kitchen makes the room less deluxe?
I'm not sure about that but I don't think I need the full kitchen. It sure looks nice especially with all that space at OKW

So here is the thing on "Deluxe" - DVC is a TIMESHARE, not a hotel room. Timeshares have kitchens. Fancy hotel rooms do not. If you want a fancy hotel room, book a fancy hotel room, not something that is marketed as a "home away from home." DVC units are often attached to Deluxe hotels at Disney (and I can rant about the quality of what Disney thinks is Deluxe, but I'll spare you other than to say you generally get good quality toilet paper and linens at nice hotels), but they, themselves are not "Deluxe" rooms in Disney parlance.

So here is the thing on "Deluxe" - DVC is a TIMESHARE, not a hotel room. Timeshares have kitchens. Fancy hotel rooms do not. If you want a fancy hotel room, book a fancy hotel room, not something that is marketed as a "home away from home." DVC units are often attached to Deluxe hotels at Disney (and I can rant about the quality of what Disney thinks is Deluxe, but I'll spare you other than to say you generally get good quality toilet paper and linens at nice hotels), but they, themselves are not "Deluxe" rooms in Disney parlance.
Correct. In the other thread, the argument that DVC rooms aren't "deluxe" was not a rip on DVC, but rather a clarification that the DVC properties enjoy many amenities of resorts that Disney classifies as "deluxe" (versus budget or moderate). Even then, a Disney "deluxe" resort shouldn't be directly compared to what the hospitality industry would classify as a deluxe, 5-star, or premium property., regardless of what Disney charges for their rooms. As I said over there, I haven't come across a Mandarin Oriental that gives you the opportunity to wash your own bed linens.

As to the TP, it has a singular, inglorious job to perform and it either works or it doesn't (and so far, it seems to work).

Last edited:
We use them more often then we used to, for sure. Definitely use the stove top for breakfast, but use the oven for several dinners.

We do frozen pizza in the oven. Fry bacon and eggs for breakfast but don’t really cook full meals in the room

Other than the microwave I‘m curious if anyone has ever used the cooking facilities you get in 1BR or bigger rooms? We never have. Should the kitchen space be reduced and put something else there like another Murphy bed and just have a kitchenette? Or do you like having it there just in case.
Frankly we bought DVC to have the kitchen and the laundry I’d be horrified if they reduced them or took them out. We don’t need more sleeping spaces in the units relaxing and practical space is important too

We don’t need more sleeping spaces in the units relaxing and practical space is important too
We actually enjoy having the kitchen for this very reason. It contributes to the overall living (non-sleeping) space within the villa. We may not use it as a practical kitchen, but it is open and airy real estate that isn't occupied by yet another sleeping surface.

We thought we'd use it more on our extended family trips. The first couple times we had a 2BR at BLT I bought around $200 worth of groceries and threw about $150 away. Second trip I spent less but used about the same.

Now we use the oven maybe once for a late night frozen pizza....or maybe on our resort/rest day. We do use the stove a few days that I've started cooking eggs/bacon while others get ready.

I think our issue is we are a group who either hates to cook or cooks everyday in real life....so no one wants to on vaca.

We use it (and the washer/dryer). Nothing fancy, but we still use it for a few meals. Mainly breakfast.

Yes! Especially at Aulani where food is very expensive all over the island. We've made pasta, eggs, quesadillas, frozen pizza, frozen lasagna. We eat breakfast in our room every day and usually most lunches. Healthier and less expensive than eating out.

We cook full meals 3-4 of our 7 nights at Aulani using the oven and/or the stove. Everything shuts down around dinner time and there aren’t tons of options at the resort. in a 8 night WDW trip, we will usually cook dinner 1-2 times on our “off days.” We use the stove almost daily for breakfast. At VGC, our trips are shorter, so we never cook beyond eggs for breakfast.

Over the years we’ve used the microwave and stovetop more than the oven. But sometimes we’ve used the oven for frozen pizzas and the like when we’re on longer trips and tend to order more food and are traveling with a larger group. We may not use the kitchen facilities on every trip, but I like having them available when I need them.

Sounds like you'd be interested in DVC adding more adjoining studios.

I have said previously all rooms should be connecting IMO.

You would alternate everything studio - studio - 1br - studio - studio - 1br - repeating

You could then book Studio, Adjoining Studios, 1br, 2BR lockoff, 3BR lockoff, 4BR lockoff, 5BR lockoff

The booking system could be made to handle this. Yes things like a 5BR lockoff would be very hard to get but it would provide additional flexibility for people.

We just returned from a stay at OKW and AKL. I cooked full meals or used leftovers for all but two nights, along with eating all breakfasts and all but one lunch in the unit.

I have said previously all rooms should be connecting IMO.

You would alternate everything studio - studio - 1br - studio - studio - 1br - repeating

You could then book Studio, Adjoining Studios, 1br, 2BR lockoff, 3BR lockoff, 4BR lockoff, 5BR lockoff

The booking system could be made to handle this. Yes things like a 5BR lockoff would be very hard to get but it would provide additional flexibility for people.
I love this idea! I can't see me ever having enough points to stretch to a grand villa, and I really don't need that much room, but a 3BR lockoff would work perfectly for the people I sometimes travel with.

When staying in a 1 bedroom we'll cook breakfast a couple days. Usually pancakes, sausages, and tater tots (aka mini hash browns.). We have cooked eggs and bacon before as well. We do usually just microwave leftover breakfast on other days.

We just stayed in a grand villa for 7 nights. We cooked dinner all but the first night and had every breakfast in the room. We also made and packed in sandwiches for all but 1 lunch on a park day and had 1 special lunch on our off day to celebrate our youngest’s birthday. We spent about $400 on lunch for the birthday meal. I’m 100% sure we spent less on groceries for all the other breakfasts and lunches for 8 people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter