Do you think a 1BR over the studio is worth double the points?

IMO the difference is too large and not c/w industry standards. They should lower the 1 BR and raise the studio costs by around 10-15% each IMO ending up around a 50% differential, rather than 100%.

I really think it depends on the number of bathrooms, and number of beds. Our original resort was BWV, and when there are 4 of us, we book two studios rather than a 1 bedroom in order to get two bathrooms and for everyone to have their own bed (even if it was a pull out sofa). However, when we added on at BLT, we prefer the 1 bedroom, when there are 4 of us, since it has two bathrooms, and a sleeper chair. However, when there are 6 of us we book a 2 BR at both resorts.

As for your idea about lowering the points on a 1 BR and raising them on a studio, that seems like it would make the 2 BR about the same number of points as two studios. For example, current points for Dream season Fri/Sat at BWV BW view are Studio 20, 1 BR 40, and 2 BR 49 (a 100 % differential between the studio and 1 BR) If they raised Studio by 4 points to 24, and lowered 1 BR by 4 points to 36, that would result in the 50% differential you recommend. However, if they leave 2 BR unchanged, a 2 BR would only be 1 point more than 2 Studios. (Note: I did not "cherry-pick" this example, most seasons/views are similar, I just picked one where the math was easy and clear)

I personally would like that, but I think at this point it would be very hard to make that change since the members who bought the number of points they needed to always stay in studios would revolt.

Last edited:
I will be able to tell you if it's worth it in a few weeks!:yay: We're a family of 3 who became DVC members last year and stayed in a BLT studio last summer which we thought was great! This year, we are letting DD bring a friend, so at a minimum we needed something with two bathrooms. We didn't have enough points for a two bedroom, so we opted for a one bedroom. I wanted to do BLT soooo badly because we really loved the resort and the location, but point-wise, AKV Kidani was a better option. Can't wait to have all the extra space! Just hope we don't mind the distance from the parks, as they will be a big part of our trip. My guess is that we are really going to love the one bedrooms, especially for the washer/dryer units. I know I sound nuts for wanting to do laundry on vacation, but it really cuts down on packing. Before becoming DVC owners, we stayed in off-site condos and loved the extra space they provided and the laundry facilities. We don't cook much on vacation, but it's nice to have a kitchen for breakfast and snacks!

I can't quite bring myself to stay in a studio. We had the perfect situation next year. We are coming off a cruise and wanted four night at VGF. I had enough home resort points for 4 nights in a studio but i have ended up adding on for a 1 bedroom. It wasn't for the space it was 2 thing I couldn't get past:

1. We only trace with 4 days clothes so after a 3 night cruise I'll need laundry urgently. I couldn't cope with the idea of not having my own to just throw stuff in before I go to bed. Having to go the the laundry feels like doing laundry. Not so much when you can do it whenever in the room
2. We always breakfast in the room saves so much time and we don't like Cs breakfast offerings.

I can't really see us ever doing studios.

Yes,
I'm a family of 3, with 2 being young adults over 6 ft tall. space is a luxury for us. we also enjoy having the washer and dryer.
We enjoy having a big breakfast so we still go out for that but my sons suck down liquid like a sponge. having a full size fridge makes it easy to stock up on juice, water and soda.

I really think it depends on the number of bathrooms, and number of beds. Our original resort was BWV, and when there are 4 of us, we book two studios rather than a 1 bedroom in order to get two bathrooms and for everyone to have their own bed (even if it was a pull out sofa). However, when we added on at BLT, we prefer the 1 bedroom, when there are 4 of us, since it has two bathrooms, and a sleeper chair. However, when there are 6 of us we book a 2 BR at both resorts.

As for your idea about lowering the points on a 1 BR and raising them on a studio, that seems like it would make the 2 BR about the same number of points as two studios. For example, current points for Dream season Fri/Sat at BWV BW view are Studio 20, 1 BR 40, and 2 BR 49 (a 100 % differential between the studio and 1 BR) If they raised Studio by 4 points to 24, and lowered 1 BR by 4 points to 36, that would result in the 50% differential you recommend. However, if they leave 2 BR unchanged, a 2 BR would only be 1 point more than 2 Studios. (Note: I did not "cherry-pick" this example, most seasons/views are similar, I just picked one where the math was easy and clear)

I personally would like that, since when there are 6 of us, we get a 2 BR, but I think at this point it would be very hard to make that change since the members who bought the number of points they needed to always stay in studios would revolt.
i think having 2 studios about the same price as a 2 Br or close to it is about right. I agree it's be a little tough to make that large a change at this point in the game but they do have the legal and technical right to do so.

i think having 2 studios about the same price as a 2 Br or close to it is about right. I agree it's be a little tough to make that large a change at this point in the game but they do have the legal and technical right to do so.

Historically, the occupancy limit for 2 studios was the same as the limit for a 2 BR (8 for both), so I see justification for your view.
Today, with the sleeper chair in the living area of some of the 1 and 2 BR's and the pull down bed in some studios, that does not exactly always hold true. However, today in some resorts, 2 studios actually have a higher occupancy limit than a 2 BR, since 2 studios have an occupancy limit of 10, while a 2 BR at the same resort only has an occupancy limit of 9.
I also always found it strange that historically, you pay about double the points for a 1 BR compared to a studio, but you had the same occupancy limit.

Last edited:
Historically, the occupancy limit for 2 studios was the same as the limit for a 2 BR (8 for both), so I see justification for your view.
Today, with the sleeper chair in the living area of some of the 1 and 2 BR's and the pull down bed in some studios, that does not exactly always hold true. However, today in some resorts, 2 studios actually have a higher occupancy limit than a 2 BR, since 2 studios have an occupancy limit of 10, while a 2 BR at the same resort only has an occupancy limit of 9.
I also always found it strange that historically, you pay about double the points for a 1 BR compared to a studio, but you had the same occupancy limit.
In addition to some of the rationalization, I also base my opinion on other timeshares and timeshare systems. Of course DVC's studios are bare bones as well compared to many other comparable timeshares. The original question was whether we though a 1 BR worth double, that's an easy no and given the relative demand of the 2, the owners in general tend to agree with the no answer. However, I also agree that make a large change all at once, or possibly ever, is problematic. They likely should adjust them a little to try to even out demand with the next reallocation, we'll see if they do or not, my hunch says they won't go there.

They likely should adjust them a little to try to even out demand with the next reallocation, we'll see if they do or not, my hunch says they won't go there.
The demand imbalance is nothing new, and they haven't bothered rebalancing so far. Never say never, but I'm betting on "no."

I can't decide either...so we do both:-). We typically stay for 5 nights so we start out in a studio for 2 and then move to a 1BR for the last 3. That way, by day 3, I have a washer and dryer and can do a load of laundry without trekking to the "public" laundry room. It's a great compromise because we can pack lighter, enjoy the space of a 1BR and still stretch our meager 100 points a little further:flower3:. We just make sure that our "switch" day is one that we plan to spend in the park so that we don't care that we are "homeless". I've done both a split-stay within the same resort and also when we've switched resorts and both times, the switch was seamless.

We are a family of 3 also, with the little one being 7 yo now. We first booked a 1-br when we were just two. I could never go back after that. I fell in love with the tub and that whole experience. Once we were three, it was great to put him to bed in one room and stay up to watch TV or catch up on work via computer in another room. He doesn't go to sleep easily so he needs dark and quiet. I also cooked him spaghetti at night for dinner (can't do that in a studio) before we got a sitter or dropped him at kid care and went out to eat ourselves.

I didn't use the laundry until this last trip. We did an eight night trip so I packed for 4 and laundered halfway through. What a lifesaver, especially when my kid spilled sauce or milk himself. The full size fridge was great. I kept all my kid food there: yogurt, juice, water, milk, frozen chicken nuggets, etc.

Unlike many people, we spend a LOT of time in the room. It's part of our relax-a-cation plan.

HOWEVER: if I lived within driving distance, I would definitely spend the points on more trips more often and take the smaller room. I also would not stay for 8 nights at a stretch.

Definitely worth it to me, especially since our vacation time is more limiting than the number of points. I love the 1 bedrooms and when we're "home" at the BWV, I always book one. Standard views are the very best bargain on site, IMO.

We do book studios when we do a split stay, due to the cost of the 1 bedrooms at the newer resorts. Hoping to do that at the Poly for 2 or 3 nights this December, but based on how quickly it's booking now, I'm not optimistic.

Here are things to consider:

Do you want to do laundry during your stay?
Are you going to have at least some meals in the villa?
Do you want to get frisky with the spouse?

If you answerd "yes" to any of those questions a 1BR may be for you.

We always do laundry at least once during the trip so we can pack fewer clothes. That's a real benefit. Plus bringing one less suitcase saves $60 in baggage fees.
We always make Eggo Waffles and/or eggs and bacon for breakfast. We have either lunch or dinner in the villa cooking the food ourselves. That saves money.
We tried getting frisky once in a studio when we thought our kid was asleep, but when our toddler asked what we were doing that kinda killed the mood.

Would never do a studio again. Love the one or two bedroom for kitchen for breakfasts, the laundry room, the space, etc. but we have lots of points so we can do it a few times a year. If it was the difference between going or not going, I'm not sure I would be so princessy s about it. But we also rarely g the parks so the resort room and amenities are what we go for.

We first bought in '97 at BWV. Our 2 kids were teens and staying in a studio was no longer an option! Fast forward to now....usually just DH and I, twice a year, and we've kind of found our stride. We stay for a week, but the first night, maybe two, will be in a studio. We like to get the deluxe dining plan for one night, plus we save some points; since we fly, we never quite know if we will have a delay and hate to waste points for a 1 BR on a Sat. night. So Sunday is our food shopping day at Winn Dixie or Publix. We leave everything in the car in collapsible coolers, go to a park until our room is ready. We added on a number of times before prices got so crazy and are able to go down at least twice a year. I'm doing an extra trip with DD in August and will also be doing a split stay (3 nights in a studio and 5 in a 1 BR, as her friend is coming down later on).

I, too, am a spoiled B___h. The night or two we stay in a studio....I feel very closed in. DH is a big TV watcher, I am not. I do love the extra room in the 1BR, especially at BLT with the extra full bathroom. We also do a big breakfast in the room and will usually be back from the parks at lunchtime. We bring our sandwiches, salads and beers to the pool, have lunch, swim, relax. We don't have dinner out as often as we used to. We will pick up easy things for dinner (rotiserie chicken, steam fresh veggies, Red Baron frozen pizza....we've even done steamed lobster tails and steaks on the grill at BLT).

Early on, in order to save points we would stay in pop century for one night, one bedroom on points through Thursday night, and pay cash for the Friday night. I am so lucky those days are over since buying more points on the resale market.

So, getting back to your original question, it is a matter of how you like to vacation. There is always the one-time use points for purchase, too, if you don't have enough. We only did that once when we went to Aluani the first time.

We've always stayed in a 1 bedroom (family of 3 with a 7 yr old). Last year we did a 3-night stay in a studio and felt like we were constantly on top of each other and we had no where to store our belongings so the room felt messy. It wasn't bad for a quick trip, but we definitely weren't as comfortable as we are in a 1-bedroom.

Now that we have used our points for the first time (staying at mostly studios and 2nights in a 1br at OKW), we were wondering if most of you out there think the 1BRs are worth double the points? We are only a family of 3 (Me, DH and DD 2) and both room sizes were perfect for us. OKW 1 BR was absolutely incredible. Our jaws dropped. It was such a treat to have ALL that room! It felt like we were home but still on vacation lol!!
Anyways, now that we are booking our next trip, we are seeing that if we book 1 bedrooms over studios, its almost as if we could take a whole other vacation with the extra points over a studio! What do you all do and what do you choose? Save the points and forfeit the extra space and kitchen? Or book 'cheap' and save the points?

We always took a 1bdrm at OKW, because the points were so cheap, and the extra space plus jacuzzi and washer-dryer, not to mention full kitchen, were more than worth it. For a fancier resort or season where we might not be able to afford the points, we might not do it. But it sure saves time and packing space having the laundry in the unit!

p.s. There was just the two of us, so arguably we didn't "need" it, but in reality we totally do need it on a long, arduous trip across the country. If it was worth it just to go for a couple of days, a studio would probably be fine, but that is not reality.

IMO the difference is too large and not c/w industry standards. They should lower the 1 BR and raise the studio costs by around 10-15% each IMO ending up around a 50% differential, rather than 100%.
Have always felt this way.

I bought DVC to get out of one room. Our first trip, our boys were 5. We spent nap time in a dark room with DH and I taking turns walking around the hotel. Afterwards DH told me that he wanted to take the boys to Disney World every year like his parents did. I knew that I couldn't handle that. Now our boys are 16. The rule is two bathrooms, at AKL and BLT we get a one bedroom, all of the others, a two bedroom. One time I booked a weekend in a studio to save points. DH hated it so much that he agreed to keep driving his very old car for a few more years so that we could buy more points.

We are also a family of 3 and my DD is now a teen. Would a 1br be nicer? You bet! Are we comfortable in a studio? Yes we are and we always have been. Frankly, a studio is much better than most of the hotel rooms in WDW which regularly house 4 people. I'm happy with that at half the price of a 1br.

In the 8 years we've been DVC members, we only stayed in a studio one night - and that was our first ever DVC trip with 2 adults and 1 toddler. We are now a family of 4 and always get a 1 bdr.

This October, however, we wanted to check out PVB so we are going to give a studio a try for 5 nights (no way we can afford the points for a bungalow). Sounds like the PVB studios are bigger than the standard DVC studio, so we will see how it goes....

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter