Do you think a 1BR over the studio is worth double the points?

Now that we have used our points for the first time (staying at mostly studios and 2nights in a 1br at OKW), we were wondering if most of you out there think the 1BRs are worth double the points? We are only a family of 3 (Me, DH and DD 2) and both room sizes were perfect for us. OKW 1 BR was absolutely incredible. Our jaws dropped. It was such a treat to have ALL that room! It felt like we were home but still on vacation lol!!
Anyways, now that we are booking our next trip, we are seeing that if we book 1 bedrooms over studios, its almost as if we could take a whole other vacation with the extra points over a studio! What do you all do and what do you choose? Save the points and forfeit the extra space and kitchen? Or book 'cheap' and save the points?

Its not the 1BR that is worth the extra points. Its the full kitchen thats worth the extra points, that and the extra space.

Worth is a relative term. We originally bought enough points for the 1 bedrooms for the bigger bathroom, the extra space, and the king bed.

After one DVC stay, we also fell in love with the washer and dryer. We don't use the kitchen to cook but do enjoy the full fridge and dishwasher: we travel with wine (so love a full fridge for the vino), keep our own coffee maker/mugs in the storage locker, and order snack type grocery items. So although we never/rarely use the actual oven/stove top, we enjoy the rest of the kitchen for fridge/cleanup.

Honestly the more trips we make, the more time we spend at the resort/in the room making the larger 1 bedroom even a better value.

I can't imagine spending 10 nights at WDW in a regular hotel room or a DVC studio. We are doing 5 nights at the Grand Cali DVC in a studio - we know its going to feel cramped! So for us the extra points are worth it but it depends on the definition of worth.

Most of our trips are just DH and me, and we always do a studio at SSR. We go for 14 nights every October and 7 nights each May. We have two Owners Lockers which contain everything we need to make a studio work, over the door hangers, real dishes and silverware, hooks, hampers, along with the usual items. We even have a small electric skillet. We cook scrambled or fried eggs for breakfast most mornings, and cook dinner at least 4 or 5 nights. Studio works well for us, and we like to maximize our points. When we take our twenty something kids (DS and DD and now DD fiancé) we tend to do two studios so we get the extra bathroom. It works well for us, we are big studio fans. We have done one and two bedrooms, but prefer the point savings. And we don't mind using th public laundry, we just chil by the pool with a glass of wine!

We bought into DVC specifically for the larger accommodations. We are a family of 4 with two teenage girls. All four of us in 1 bathroom is a pain. We love the benefit of a kitchen for breakfast (and sometimes lunch.) And since I'm a light sleeper and my oldest talks in her sleep, a 1 bedroom or larger means I don't have to sleep with earplugs. We have done the 1 bedroom at BLT, Aulani and Saratoga. I loved the extra bathroom at BLT. We are heading to Aulani next week and splurged on a 2 bedroom. Heaven!

I suspect when both girls are out of the house, DH and I may stay in a studio. We bought enough points to do a 1 or 2 bedroom at Aulani every other year as we like to do other types of vacations as well.

I really like the flexibility of the points system. DH inherited an independent timeshare from his dad that was weeks. It was really a pain. It wasn't nice so we were always trying to trade and we could never go where we really wanted. And we stayed at some really scary places early on in our marriage when it was the only way we could afford to vacation. Thankfully, his mom assumed our obligation so we could buy where we really wanted. I've heard some complain about the condition of the Disney properties compared to "other" timeshares. In my experience, we stayed at some really terrible places. Once place in the Bahamas wasn't even finished! The Disney properties are leaps and bounds above other timeshares we've stayed at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter