Does it help to call when you are on the wait list?

bwvmary

Mouseketeer
I have seen this question out there in several wait list posts. So how about it? I don't know how the system works - do wait listers get the rooms on a real time basis as soon as a cancellation comes in (In which case, calling would do no good; it would just take up time and clog the Member Services lines, which I don't want to do.) OR do cancellations come in and sit around available for a while so that a new caller might get the room before a wait list match is made.

If you know how this works or just have some experience of calling and magically getting a room that cancelled, even though you had not gotten a wait list call, I'd love ot hear about it.

Thanks.

Mary (Trying to decide whether to launch a calling campaign... :cool:

Mary
DVC Member BWV, HH
1976, 1985, 1989- Off property; 1990-91 - Disney Villas; 1993 - 2X - Disneyland; 1994 - Disneyland; 1997 - Beach Club; 1998 - All Star Music and Wilderness Lodge; 1999 - All Star Movies; 1999 - Boardwalk Villas; 2000 - Disney Institute and Yacht Club; 2000 - Contemporary and Boardwalk Villas; 2000 - Old Key West; 2000 - Hilton Head Island

According to the Members Guidebook, calling will do no good. MS will contact the next person automatically.

bwv_logo_trans.gif

WDW:
76,77,78,87,FW
92,Offsite
95 POL
96(2), GF,Offsite
97,GF
98,99,00,FW
8/00 DVC member
3/2001 BWV
11/2001 BWV

I was waitlisted twice. The first time, I called for a couple of days, always asking if the cast member was *sure* I would be notified if something became available. After two different cast members assured me that there was no need to call repeatedly, I stopped--albeit reluctantly. Both times, Member Services came through, and left a message on my answering machine to call them within 24 hours if I still wanted the waitlisted room.

One caveat. If you're away from home at all during the time you're waitlisted, it's a good idea to call Member Services from your travel destination daily (unless you have an answering machine that you can check from a remote location). As you know, if you don't get the message and miss the 24-hour window during which to call, you lose the ressie.

So, my experience with the waitlist has been good--and MS seems to stick to its word about notifying you when something is available.

Joe

Your understanding is exactly how the waitlist is supposed to work....and it does work.

From a practical standpoint, if I call and cancel a reservation at 1 PM and you call at 1:05 PM for the same reservation, you are likely to get that ressie- since the waitlist has not had time to be contacted yet. The objective of MS is to make reservations and make members happy. In the example I used above, you will be pleased that you got the reservation and the waitlist will never know it was even available. If you had called at 12:55- you would have been added to the waitlist and someone else on the waitlist would have been contacted at 3PM- when the waitlist was reviewed. (I have no idea when the waitlist is reviewed- I'm just using these times as an example!! ;) )

If you have some time before your requested reservation, be patient and give the waitlist a chance to work- it probably will. If you haven't heard anything several weeks before- I'd call frequently...even daily during the last couple of weeks. Good Luck!

Doc
doc@wdwinfo.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter