Doing Disney overweight

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting so forgive me if this has been addressed before in this thread, but I'm worried about my upcoming trip to WDW at the end of the month.

I am male, 6'4", and about 300 pounds with a chest size of about 54" (going off of suit sizes) and a 44" waist. Will I have any difficulty going on rides? I don't want to be the odd one out in my group. Thank you for your help!

My husband is 6'4 and 340lbs with a large chest/arms/broad shoulders. He is a size 46" waist with not much of a belly and he rode everything at Disney with no problems. The poster a few posts up listed everything Dh rode on plus he rode RnRC 2 or 3 times with no problem. He was so excited because of his large upper body, he has never been able to get on any rides with the overhead shoulder restraints so he loves Disney!

Hey all, I love the water parks- you will have no problems going on the crush n gusher. Go and have a great time! :thumbsup2

So glad to read this. I just decided earlier today to add the waterpark option to our trip bc we want to do both waterparks and I was a little concerned about that ride. Does anyone know if there are weight limits on the rides where you can put 2 or more people in a tube?

Hi guys! My husband, DD and I went to MK yesterday for the first time. He works at the WDW so we are able to go quite often, but we never do - until yesterday. I had a blast. I have health problems that fluctuate my weight a lot - I go from an 18 up to a 24 and down again - so I was really nervous about going. I almost didn't go because of it. I'm so glad I did! I'm currently about a US size 22 and I had no problems with any of the rides we went on, nor did I have any troubles with the turnstyles (I had to turn sideways on some because I carry a huge purse but generally had no problems). The only ride that came close to making me nervous was the Winnie the Pooh ride, because the bar stops at the knees of the tallest person - between my 3 year old daughter and I, it's obviously me! Although this problem seemed due more to height than to weight.

The Cast Members are the park are all very accomodating and some of them are even overweight themselves, so I think they tend to be very sensitive. Nobody asks questions if you need extra accomodations such as your own car on a ride or something. They've seen it all and you won't be the first or last person to ask. I was so embarrassed about my weight, but really you need to just let your hair down so to speak and have fun. About an hour into the trip I took off the overshirt I had on and just wore my tank top and it was very liberating, lol.

I know this post is long, but I just wanted to tell everyone do NOT let your weight stop you from going to the park and enjoying yourself. The heat is a killer for sure no matter what size you are. My DH is thin and he was sweating 2x as much as I was! Wear sunscreen and bring plenty of water. The walking isn't that bad, I found. Yes, you walk around a huge park, but it's not like you're walking the whole park at once.

We did the "kiddy" rides so I can't comment on the "size-friendliness" of some of the other rides, but I imagine they're all the same. We did Winnie the Pooh (as I said, the bar stopped at the top of my legs, but wasn't an issue), Mickey's Philharmagic (no problems with the seats), Hall of Presidents (no problems with the seats), Carousel of Progress (no problems with the seats), Dumbo (very roomy, the seatbelts are for the whole car and were able to fit my daughter on my lap and DH next to me all on one seatbelt), Aladin (same as Dumbo), Prince Charming's Carousel (no problems), Pirates (no problem), It's a Small World (no problem)...we rode the Monorail with no problem even with a big bulky stroller and it was all great. I hope this helped someone and we plan on going back next weekend to finish what we didn't do yesterday!

-Michelle

Hey all, I love the water parks- you will have no problems going on the crush n gusher. Go and have a great time! :thumbsup2

I was excited about going to the waterparks too until I was looking at Allears At Large reports about getting stuck in intertubes! Our local waterpark has a normal size and larger size intertube that float around the lazy river. Does Disney only have one size intertube? This is making me want to forget the waterparks if we won't be able to relax and float around the park which is what I'm looking most foward to.

Last year we went to WDW and enjoyed 4 days with no problems riding anything I wanted to ride. I am a size 28(3x) and the only ride I didn't get to ride was RnR coaster.. but that's because it was closed when I tried.

This year we chose to go to Branson (my Mother's choice, seeing as we went to WDW 2 years running she wanted something different), but we also took a day and went to King's Island (for those unfamiliar, it is an amusement park near Cinncinatti, Oh... featuring several of the world's best coasters). AFTER DISNEY.. King's Island stank! They don't consider plus-sized patrons important. Almost all the rides had warnings that said

"Due to rider restraint system requirements, guests of exceptional size may not be accommodated on some of our rides. This may apply, but not be limited to, males who exceed 6'2", and those who exceed 225 pounds, have a 40" waistline or 52" chest or females who exceed 200 pounds or wear size 18 or larger. Each person has different body proportions, so it is impossible to determine exact size and weight."

I decided to try anyway, when we arrived I went straight to the newest coaster there.. the Diamondback rollercoaster... I knew that the odds of me riding this were slim to none, but wanted to try the test seat just in case. There was already a line a mile and a half long, but I walked up to the test seat and tried it out... the seat was tight, but I fit... however, the restraint wouldn't close.. I wasn't gonna be able to ride! Even knowing it wasn't likely, I still felt dejected... and said to myself... this would never happen at Disney.

I went to another coaster that I was told should be okay for someone of my size.. I barely made the cut (the ride op almost decided the bar hadn't closed enough on me, but seemed to change her mind and said it was ok)... Had mixed emotions after that... happy that I was able to ride something, afraid I wouldn't be able to ride anything else, and definately missing Disney...

The day was ok, but we left early and I told my Mother that next year we need to go back to Disney... she agreed!!!

Living in Lexington, Kings Island was always our closest amusement park. Went last year and took my lil sister and I couldn't fit on half the rides (size 22/24). I was mortified! She felt horrible because she wanted me to ride with her. My husband rode with her some, but it wasn't the same. I ended up running away from it all and crying because I couldn't fit, and I couldn't show her a good time.

I guess what bothers me the most about KI is that they don't even try - I've been trying to lose weight - it doesn't seem to come off, no matter what diet, lifestyle change, or other option I try. My next option is Lap Band surgery, but I'm trying to avoid surgery, as I don't do anesthisa well.

At least at Disney we've never had a problem - I went on EVERYTHING I wanted to last year, and the two rides I missed (RnR and Space Mountain) weren't because of size it was because SM was closed and the wait for RnR was too long after Fantasmic.

Disney is so wonderful to those of us who are Pooh-sized! :cloud9:

Living in Lexington, Kings Island was always our closest amusement park. Went last year and took my lil sister and I couldn't fit on half the rides (size 22/24). I was mortified! She felt horrible because she wanted me to ride with her. My husband rode with her some, but it wasn't the same. I ended up running away from it all and crying because I couldn't fit, and I couldn't show her a good time.

I guess what bothers me the most about KI is that they don't even try - I've been trying to lose weight - it doesn't seem to come off, no matter what diet, lifestyle change, or other option I try. My next option is Lap Band surgery, but I'm trying to avoid surgery, as I don't do anesthisa well.

At least at Disney we've never had a problem - I went on EVERYTHING I wanted to last year, and the two rides I missed (RnR and Space Mountain) weren't because of size it was because SM was closed and the wait for RnR was too long after Fantasmic.

Disney is so wonderful to those of us who are Pooh-sized! :cloud9:

Sorry you had such a bad experience at KI... but I am glad to hear that I am not the only one.

BTW finally got to ride RNR last month when we went..was great! Next year, we are going back to WDW, but spending 1 day at US... and I am afraid it might be KI all over again!

My family is going to Disney next month. I have never been (my dh has years ago) and neither have my children. I am overweight (size 24) and am wondering about larger people riding the rides. I would like to be able to ride some rides with my daughter. I am concerned about the seat sizes as well as any bars that might come across you (lock into place) to secure you in the seat.

Any information will be helpful. Thank you so much!

there is a thread on here for us Pooh sized people :)
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2424021

Hi all!

My DH and I enjoyed a lovely 5 night/ 6 day vaca sans children in mid-November, and one of the rides he was really looking forward to was "Sum of All Thrills" at Epcot. It's one of those make-your-own rides that you get into a machine for and it turns you every which way.
We entered Innoventions from the back entrance so I did NOT see that they had a demo model of the seats just before you approach the ride from the other side (saw it after though:confused3). This is because the seats are on the small side and can't accomodate everyone.
I affectionately refer to myself as a weeble-wobble cause I'm pear-shaped, and I wear a 20 in pants. I got into the seat, but it took a little counter pressure - a push and a POP!, Lol!!!
I was very glad my kids weren't with us because my daughter would have been upset. Both my kids have ASD and they are big kids, so she would have been very disappointed. I know I was; its the first time I can ever remember seeing a ride at WDW that couldn't accomodate all. They also need to move those demo seats closer to the ride entrance, or put another set on the other side.

Yea, I'm no smaller woman, and the only problem I ever have is Space Mountain, it's kinda snug, but I thing alot of it is getting in and out, I have to turn my leg a weird way to get out and up. But my dh weighs about 250 and he can ride, so I'm sure you will be fine. Also, tip for one of us at disney, you may be in good shape and exersice alot, but walk alot before you go. I have fibromyalgia and I have to rest often due to that, but I wore a pedometer last time out of curosity and it average about 5-6 miles a day. Be prepared physically as well as mentally. Have fun.

This is a big thread (no pun intended) and I haven't read all of it, so forgive me if this has already been pointed out.

I went with my sister 2 years ago. We are both bigger people, but my sister, unfortunately has very large hips and an ample butt. Turnstile were the biggest problem for her at times. Most of them she could sideways through, but two were impossible.. getting on the train and the one for the haunted mansion.

However, the CM's were great.. the CM at the train opened the wheelchair gate for her. Then I asked the CM at the Haunted Mansion if we could use the handicapped entrance and they were more than willing to let us through there.

SM was closed when we went so I can't say anything about that. I do know that I was totally amazed at the size of the seat on EE. It's the first time I have EVER had room on a single seat roller coaster (as opposed to a bench style two person, like BTMRR)

One trick a Six Flags employee taught me when I was trying to get on a Kiddie coaster: If the lap bar is close to locking, cross your legs at your ankles. That move helps angle out the upper thigh and gives you a little more "push down" room. (Of course, it was still tight, but I got to ride the ride!)

Do any of the "belted" rides have extensions available? I am particularly concerned about Soarin'. I loved this ride, but the seat belt was a struggle.

Hi all!

My DH and I enjoyed a lovely 5 night/ 6 day vaca sans children in mid-November, and one of the rides he was really looking forward to was "Sum of All Thrills" at Epcot. It's one of those make-your-own rides that you get into a machine for and it turns you every which way.
We entered Innoventions from the back entrance so I did NOT see that they had a demo model of the seats just before you approach the ride from the other side (saw it after though:confused3). This is because the seats are on the small side and can't accomodate everyone.
I affectionately refer to myself as a weeble-wobble cause I'm pear-shaped, and I wear a 20 in pants. I got into the seat, but it took a little counter pressure - a push and a POP!, Lol!!!
I was very glad my kids weren't with us because my daughter would have been upset. Both my kids have ASD and they are big kids, so she would have been very disappointed. I know I was; its the first time I can ever remember seeing a ride at WDW that couldn't accomodate all. They also need to move those demo seats closer to the ride entrance, or put another set on the other side.

Ugh! That happened to me too! I got into the seat, though it was tight. But...My chest was too big! I actually thought it was rather humorous that everytime she would click it down, my chest would make it pop back up! She got it clamped once, and my son said, "but can you breathe?" I said "no." and as soon as I did...POP!!! Oh well. I was a bit humiliated b/c it's the first time it happened to me.

Do any of the "belted" rides have extensions available? I am particularly concerned about Soarin'. I loved this ride, but the seat belt was a struggle.

To my knowledge, no. They consider their lap belts to be longer than average, so they don't have extensions for them.

Did you try the trick of pulling the belt all the way out BEFORE you sat down, then having someone click it for you after you take a seat? That makes it a bit easier.

Oh how I love this thread. I have been stressing everyday about our trip to WDW this March. I am a 5'7", size 28 woman with 2 little children. I am pretty even in size around my body. Chest middle and bottom even. Glad to hear I won't have problems on most things. Flying for the first time with JetBlue. VERY nervous that they are going to embarrass me and make me leave or buy another seat. I am sitting beside my 3 year old who is very tiny so I am hoping I will be okay! Anyone care to share their flight experiences to Disney?? Thanks so much!

I was wondering the same thing about flights! I had a problem with my seatbelt on the way down to Orlando. I couldn't get it buckled by myself, and I was afraid if I said something I would have to purchase another seat. I tucked my belt between my legs so if they checked, it looked and felt like it was secured. I discussed it with my mom and she said she thought that on the way home, if I had my husband help me I could probably get it buckled. My weight is right in the middle, so i had a hard time reaching the buckle. He buckled me in on the way home, and I was able to wear the belt. I was told that they should have seatbelt extenders though. I may ask this time, though I have started working on the weight issue. My hubby and I are bringing the dreaded treadmill back into the living room today to get ready for all that walking.

Oh how I love this thread. I have been stressing everyday about our trip to WDW this March. I am a 5'7", size 28 woman with 2 little children. I am pretty even in size around my body. Chest middle and bottom even. Glad to hear I won't have problems on most things. Flying for the first time with JetBlue. VERY nervous that they are going to embarrass me and make me leave or buy another seat. I am sitting beside my 3 year old who is very tiny so I am hoping I will be okay! Anyone care to share their flight experiences to Disney?? Thanks so much!

I am pretty much the same size, but a little shorter. I have the same fear about flying... but have no little child to compensate... hope all works out for you!

For Soarin' I am not 100% sure but I do think they have extenders. At least I thought I read on the boards here that some rides do have them. Check around and see.
If not a trick with the belts is pull it all the way out before you try and put it around you. That way you don't struggle. (I have issues with latching them, as most of my weight is in my mid section and chest, so "the girls" get in the way). LOL

As for flights, I too am nervous this time around. We are flying Spirit!!! :scared1: Didn't know until after the purchase that the seats are littlier and less leg room than Delta which I am use to.
UGH, I stress daily about it.

Hope everyone's flights go well! :)

As for flying.. you can get a seat belt extender from the Flight Attendants. I think you can also buy your own.. check on line. I stole one from one of the flights I was on. (I know.. bad me...it was an accident and too late to give it back when I realized I had it.)

As for flying.. you can get a seat belt extender from the Flight Attendants. I think you can also buy your own.. check on line. I stole one from one of the flights I was on. (I know.. bad me...)

Thanx for the confirmation on that! I was afraid to ask!

Thanx for the confirmation on that! I was afraid to ask!

Please don't be afraid to ask for the extender, everytime I have requested one the flight attendants have always been very discreet when giving it to me. I also used to be afraid to ask for the extender because I was embarrassed that I needed one and was afraid that the attendants would be very obvious when getting one for me. I know it was crazy but, I had this recurring nightmare each time I knew I had to get on a plane. My nightmare consisted of me asking for an extender and the flight attendant coming over the loud speaker (like, the ones at the super market) announcing "fat girl in row 3 seat A needs an extender". Yes, it was stupid, I know but I always worried. What I do now and have done for quite a few trips is as I am boarding the plane I just ask the flight attendant for an extender and they very discreetly either hand it to me right then and there or they discreetly bring it to my seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter