*Doing the Donald in 2010* Jan. Half Marathon Support Thread!

I, too, wonder about transportation. We're staying at POR and I plan to be at the bus stop by 3:45. I don't want to huddle and freeze. I don't my the temps, but Charles keeps predicting wind, too!

This is supposed to be magical, dammit.

I did five miles on the TM yesterday and consider shoveling last night's snow to be today's cross training.

I found a cheap tossable sweatshirt and have chosen some sweatpants for the honor as well. Biding my time...

Ronda

:wave: We're closer... we're getting closer and closer...

Since we are all going to be at the Pop Meet - 4:00 that will help us identify each other -

AND I think I'm going to stop over at JoANn Fabric or ... and get a pack of Lime Green Fleece and make us scarves - I saw on one thread where Mel/Chimera was in a run at Disney that was COLD - and since everyone was so layered up - someone brought fleece scarves in green!! I think I'm going to look for one as a throwaway blanket as well - and a trash bag for rain... (JoAnn has some in the clearance area I got the dog a blanket for $2 its over a yard too!)

Charles :thumbsup2 Duct tape, body glide - perfect!!

My Transportation Horror Story WARNING in '08 I think I got on the bus at the middle (busses run 3 - 5 I got on maybe at 4am - not sure I'll read my trip report and find out I remember it wrong!! LOL) Now I will say my eyes were HUGE - all the people - all the lights... but I was in my zone. I sat with the WISH'ers and then decided to walk to the front of the last corral - and I had a towel to sit on - all good

Next Day - wanted to go to Epcot to cheer DH and then take the monorail to MK to cheer. Last bus leaves at 5am - I got outside at 5AM - and saw the tail lights to the bus... I wanted to cry! Got a taxi but they could not get to Epcot - all roads were closed at 5am - so went to TT and monorailed to MK.. I think it was $20

Everyone gets to decide - but I'm not waiting for the last bus - I think it will be standing room only with the cold etc...

Liz I also am a 10.5 - but DH being a "runner" made sure to take me to the running store - hey, I was always buying Nike shoes, or New Balance at Sports Authority whats the big deal? :confused3

HUGE DEAL!! HUGE! Part of it is everyone has a stride - and some shoes within themselves are designed differently (for instance I "pronate" my ankles turn in almost touching the ground - and I have Plantar fascia... so I need stability!) So invest in the running store - even if you have to drive 30 min to get to one!!

:wave: We're closer... we're getting closer and closer...

My Transportation Horror Story WARNING in '08 I think I got on the bus at the middle (busses run 3 - 5 I got on maybe at 4am - not sure I'll read my trip report and find out I remember it wrong!! LOL) Now I will say my eyes were HUGE - all the people - all the lights... but I was in my zone. I sat with the WISH'ers and then decided to walk to the front of the last corral - and I had a towel to sit on - all good

Next Day - wanted to go to Epcot to cheer DH and then take the monorail to MK to cheer. Last bus leaves at 5am - I got outside at 5AM - and saw the tail lights to the bus... I wanted to cry! Got a taxi but they could not get to Epcot - all roads were closed at 5am - so went to TT and monorailed to MK.. I think it was $20

Everyone gets to decide - but I'm not waiting for the last bus - I think it will be standing room only with the cold etc...

Okay, that makes perfect sense as far as the buses are concerned. But what about the monorail? Will they shut it down as well? It doesn't interfere with traffic on the roads in any way.

Okay, that makes perfect sense as far as the buses are concerned. But what about the monorail? Will they shut it down as well? It doesn't interfere with traffic on the roads in any way.

ITA with you - I dont have any experience with the monorail - except the year we had a breakfast in Norway - and I forgot I had to factor in the time it takes for the monorail to return from Epcot and then the time it takes to get to Epcot...

I'm sure someone on the main WISH board will know - and I'll bet Charles will have some experience as well..

I have a transportation question. We are staying at BLT, so we will be taking the monorail to Epcot the morning of the race. I know that Disney says that you need to be on the monorail by 4:00 a.m., but I'm wondering if that's absolutely necessary. I remember getting to the staging area early last year and then just standing around for quite some time before we were released to head for the start. Considering that the weather is going to be much colder, that can't be good for my muscles before the race.

Will the monorail stop running at 4:00, or will my DH and I be able to get on at 4:30 and still be in plenty of time. Neither one of us are elite runners/walkers. He does about an 11:00/mile pace; I'm about 14:30/mile, so we won't be in one of the first corrals.

I think last year we got on the monorail at 4am and had a lot of time at Epcot and then lots of time at the corrals. But I think the start times are earlier this year. I think the total travel time was about 10-15 minutes from the TTC.

Happy Sunday! :sunny:

Charles~ You are stuck on this thread you know! :) If you didn't reply I would come searching for you!! ;)
Yeah, my eyes water so easily. I need running goggles! haha
I did think about a second Spibelt. I wonder if they sell them at the Expo?
About Shoes: I think you are right in that I need a larger size shoe. Here's what happened, my current shoes are Asics GT-2140's. I got them at Sports Authority because I had a coupon. Well, I have long, skinny feet so I got a size 10 which seemed to be the right size. They don't sell 10.5 there, it just goes up to 11 next (which I did try on and are definitely too big). So, I think I do need a 10.5 and will have to get them at a running store or order online next time. Why don't they sell 10.5's anyway?!?

You can find one at the expo...especially if you attend Thursday.

Avoid the box stores for shoes unless you know exactly what you want. We have a chain called Academy that offers a great selection....but they not not current. Same with SA... There is a 10.5. THere are ways to tighten a loose shoe up...it's hard to go the opposite way.

I have a transportation question. We are staying at BLT, so we will be taking the monorail to Epcot the morning of the race. I know that Disney says that you need to be on the monorail by 4:00 a.m., but I'm wondering if that's absolutely necessary. I remember getting to the staging area early last year and then just standing around for quite some time before we were released to head for the start. Considering that the weather is going to be much colder, that can't be good for my muscles before the race.

Will the monorail stop running at 4:00, or will my DH and I be able to get on at 4:30 and still be in plenty of time. Neither one of us are elite runners/walkers. He does about an 11:00/mile pace; I'm about 14:30/mile, so we won't be in one of the first corrals.

The monorail will run continuously. It's one of the 'cool' things as we run to MK. Here is the rub. Unless you are staying at Poly, you are playing with a little fire. The trains will fill up early in the loop and you may find yourself watching several trains go by. I know several folks come down at 4:30 on the monorail and have little issue....As a planning type of person, I would go down and count the time it takes to watch 4 trains go by then hop the 5th train and staop the time when I got to Epcot Station at the base of the station. From there count on 30 minutes to get to the corral. That's what I am doing...

Remember the race starts earlier this year.

I, too, wonder about transportation. We're staying at POR and I plan to be at the bus stop by 3:45. I don't want to huddle and freeze. I don't my the temps, but Charles keeps predicting wind, too!

This is supposed to be magical, dammit.

I did five miles on the TM yesterday and consider shoveling last night's snow to be today's cross training.

I found a cheap tossable sweatshirt and have chosen some sweatpants for the honor as well. Biding my time...

Ronda

Buy a Tyvek Suit at the Expo. It WILL keep the wind off the body.

Charles :thumbsup2 Duct tape, body glide - perfect!!

THE LAST BUS RUNS AT 4AM! I am not yelling just making sure this is seen. The system shuts down from 5-7 so that means there are a few busses after 4...but you cannot count on them.

I usually take the 3:45 bus my self. I was meeting a friend at the YC in 03 and she had not read instuctions. Her stuff was in a back pack so I told her that would not ba accepted. She went up to her room and got back at 4 straight up..... We went out and found a line of over 100 maybe 200. A few folks pealed off and got cabs and some took cars. Finally somewhere around 4:40 ish a line of busses came into the parkiing lot and we were good

:faint:

Thank you Charles!!
Last Bus 4 AM!

(my story was from '08 when it was earlier - do not confuse - its meant to say when they say last bus at 4AM they mean 4AM and not even a taxi on the heels of that last bus was able to enter epcot after the cut off time!)

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

OK. I basically grew up in an freaking ice rink. I've spent most of my life in either Cleveland or Alaska. I would much rather be cold than hot - but holy moly, I'm not looking forward to waiting for the race to start!

Nice tats. I have one that isn't race related. Looking back I now realize that I ran my first triathlon, got a tat and bought a sports car...all in the 6 months before I turned 35. Analyze that for what it's worth. :laughing:

Wait - you have to give up beer? :hippie:

Only for a week. :)
A very long week...

sk8~ What type of room do you have at BLT? Jenny and I will be in a studio. My family stayed at BLT last August in a 2 bedroom, oooh it was wonderful!! LOVE BLT!

We're in a studio. I really wanted a 1br since there are 4 of us, but we booked late since we didn't own DVC until late Sept. I'll be booking a 1br for 2011 Marathon weekend though. :) We're doing a Grand Villa trip with 2 other families in June, staying at AKL, SSR and 2-2br at Vero Beach.

Is there nobody willing to help me out? To recap: I signed up for the half and din't prepare in time, so I won't be attending. Instead of making it a WDW trip, I am going in March for the Princess. So, I paid for a goody bag and would love it if someone would be willing to pick it up for me. I will provide the forms and shipping money. Can a kind DISer pretty please help me out? :flower3:

Is there nobody willing to help me out? To recap: I signed up for the half and din't prepare in time, so I won't be attending. Instead of making it a WDW trip, I am going in March for the Princess. So, I paid for a goody bag and would love it if someone would be willing to pick it up for me. I will provide the forms and shipping money. Can a kind DISer pretty please help me out? :flower3:

I know in other races I've participated in the only way someone else can pick up your packet is if they have your ID. You might want to check what the policy is at Disney.

I know in other races I've participated in the only way someone else can pick up your packet is if they have your ID. You might want to check what the policy is at Disney.

I have already checked and they require a copy of the ID, along with a signed note saying "xxx is able to pick up my race packet," which I can provide.

What's everyone wearing now with the cold temps forecasted?

My plan as of today: Capris and toss away long pants over them. Short sleeve top and a long sleeve top over it, and a toss away jacket. And finally my gloves and ear band.

Mary~ Jenny and I are at BLT too, maybe we'll see you around there! We are planning to board at 4am. The Monorails have issues sometimes, plus Charles' point about them filling up is a great one too. It would be awesome though if we could just hang out in the warm CR and board the Monorail as late as possible!

Ronda~ "This is supposed to be magical, dammit." :laughing: that's funny.

Sandy~ That's a neat idea about the scarves!
Glad I'm not the only big foot around here! ;)

sk8~ a 1br at BLT for next years marathon weekend sounds wonderful! Sounds like a great trip you have planned for this summer too. I see in your sig. now the plan with the other DIS moms and dads and all the boys, sounds like a blast!!

disney_mommy~ Have you tried to find someone who lives near you? That's what I would do.

I have already checked and they require a copy of the ID, along with a signed note saying "xxx is able to pick up my race packet," which I can provide.

If that is the case I don't mind picking up your packet and mailing it to you. My only concern is space. I'm just taking on a carry on bag and I'm not sure what is all included in the packet. I'm sure I could squeeze in the t-shirt and a few little trinkets, but if there is lots of stuff I'm not sure it will all fit. PM me if you're interested.

AND a copy of the signed waiver....else no one knows what packet to get

let me know by Wednesday if you need help

Mary~ Jenny and I are at BLT too, maybe we'll see you around there! We are planning to board at 4am. The Monorails have issues sometimes, plus Charles' point about them filling up is a great one too. It would be awesome though if we could just hang out in the warm CR and board the Monorail as late as possible!

I was thinking that once we got onto the TTC/Epcot train we could just loop until time to get off.

I was thinking that once we got onto the TTC/Epcot train we could just loop until time to get off.

I thought of that too! But my paranoid side worries that the Monorail will have an issue and we'd get stuck on it.

cewait said:
AND a copy of the signed waiver....else no one knows what packet to get

Do they accept copies of the signed waiver and letter? Original signatures could be a stumbling block at this point.

On the Tyvek suit.... I'll bet they are sold out when we get there Friday afternoon.

Ronda

My clothing plans may have changed already... Thanks to a little birdie I'm thinking of wearing full/long tights and my running skirt over them. Not sure I'd even bother with toss away pants then.

What's everyone wearing now with the cold temps forecasted?

My plan as of today: Capris and toss away long pants over them. Short sleeve top and a long sleeve top over it, and a toss away jacket. And finally my gloves and ear band.

As of this morning, with the forecast of 30 at the start, I'm opting for tights, a long sleeve top with a vest over it. I'll wear my toss away sweat pants until the start and probably keep the top on until I warm up after a mile or two. Still torn between an ear band or a fleece hat.

My clothing plans may have changed already... Thanks to a little birdie I'm thinking of wearing full/long tights and my running skirt over them. Not sure I'd even bother with toss away pants then.

Well, at least I won't need to pack my shorts and t-shirt :)

I'm going with tights too and a LS shirt. If it's windy, I'll wear a jacket too. I don't mind the cold weather but am not happy thinking about the wind. Maybe that will be the motivation I need to keep running fast :cutie::laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter