*Doing the Donald in 2010* Jan. Half Marathon Support Thread!

Hello all. Mom, little bro, and I did the Donald in '09. Little Bro finished, but Mom & I got swept at the fourth mile during the hard cut. I know it says in the brochure you can be picked up at anytime, but I was wondering if there are any more hard cuts. Someone told us last year that she got swept at Mile 9 in '08 and I just read that someone else was picked up at Mile 6. It's a personal triumph for me just to participate, but I'd really like to make it into the Magic Kingdom this time. Making it to Mile 9 would be fabulous, but I wanted to know if I need to really worry about getting swept or picked up before then. Thanks in advance for any info.

I know the feeling - not sure if I'll make it or not -

I read the brochure and they said they will sweep throughout the course - the bikes have orange flags and they may put them out on the course - you have to maintain that 16 min per mile pace (Disney needs to reopen the roads)

I know out of the MK on the road to the Polynesian the bike sweeper told us how much time I had to make it to Mile 10 at Mile 10 sweeper again told me how much time I had to make it to Mile 11 - at Mile 12 the sweepers said no more sweep points!!

The people here told me to be right at the front of the corall to have at least 15 min "padding" and not to take any pictures - just keep moving! I hope it works for me this year!!

You can get pick up at any time if you drop behind pace, but there are 4 hard cuts in the full.

Good Morning Everyone! I hope everyone is ready for this adventure! I fly out tomorrow morning. I was just going with a carry on, but with all these extra clothes for the cold I'm going to have to check my luggage. Thank goodness for Magical Express because I won't have to wait around in Orlando for it:goodvibes Can't wait to meet everyone at the POP meet, and Liz I'll see you at the airport:cool1:

Okay, my last run is done. Three miles on the TM that felt like nothing. Hey, these training plans work!

Who woulda thunk that the hardest part of this adventure would become getting to the airport and making the plane fly. We don't fly until tomorrow. Southwest has cancelled the first two flights to Orlando today. I DO expect the airport to be normal tomorrow, but it's just another thing to take up worry space.

We are scheduled to arrive at 11:40. Getting to the expo by 8:00 seemed like a no-brainer. I hope it still is.

Good luck to everyone and see you there!

Ronda

Hi all! I had a great final training run last night at sunset. 3 miles in 31 minutes and I just felt really good. I think race day adrenaline is starting to flow already!! I wore my race day outfit and it felt comfy. My knee is ok. Oh and I wore my Spibelt with everything I want to take, minus my iPhone, and it didn't flop at all so I'm good to go there now. Today was supposed to be a 2 mile walk per my plan, but I have been running around non-stop today doing things around here so that is my workout!!

I can't believe how cold this race is going to be! I never imagined it would be like this. Months ago I worried it would be too warm! :laughing: I'm bringing my winter coat and heavy gloves to wear in MK on Saturday. Jenny and I are planning to watch Wishes on Main Street. I hope they have plenty of hot cocoa around MK to buy! :goodvibes

cj~ Thanks for the good wishes! That's great about the treadmill! I'm sure that'll help you get back into the swing of things.

PeterPan09~ Thanks for the warning, I hope it doesn't come true!

ldylioness & Sandy~ Just keep on moving, you CAN do it!!!

Jenny~ My carry on is STUFFED!!!! :laughing:

Ronda~ Sounds like you ladies are on the same schedule as Jenny and I. I arrive to Orlando a bit after 11 and Jenny at 11:45. We're grabbing some lunch at Quiznos before we head to ME. Then it's to BLT to check in and drop our stuff in the room and head right to the Expo! I hope your flight and everything goes as planned tomorrow!! See you soon!

Don't know if anyone will see this, but Jenny and I probably won't be making the meets. :((((((. One of us had a flight delay and then we had a looong magical express ride. Right now we are on the bus to the expo over two hours later than planned!! Ugh!!

dress warm Donald do-ers!!! The news just said there will be snow/sleet around 5am in Orlando. :scared1:

what on EARTH?! That's just nuts.

best of luck to you all. Snow or not, I wish I could be there. Pneumonia is horrible. I sound like a barking seal.

poor me.

*sniffle*

;)

Don't know if anyone will see this, but Jenny and I probably won't be making the meets. :((((((. One of us had a flight delay and then we had a looong magical express ride. Right now we are on the bus to the expo over two hours later than planned!! Ugh!!

I wondered why I didnt see you - I waited for you!!

Getting out of Chicago was nothing short of a miracle!

The meet was overwhelming. I was glad DH was able to meet up with Chris (the Blind runner)

and how funny that Liz ran by me at Mile marker 6 IN THE MK (in my many many layers I chose to wear my WISH shirt on top of my coat!) Its always encouraging to me to hear, "love your shirt" or "youre looking good, keep it up" (as they pass me strong!!)

Liz and her friend (whose name I forgot - sorry) passed me and asked me my screen name!! LOL small world!! We both ran to take a picture of our time at mile 6 -

I stopped at LTT to have a kind CM tie my shoe (I couldnt bend over! ) I was fading, but felt strong!!

I'm trying to keep in mind our lovely WISH shirt sentiment - DEAD LAST FINISH is greater than...

Yes, I was DEAD LAST! (and I get teary eyed) I am grateful I could make it past the flag waver at Mile 10 - going up that hill/overpass is tough, I kept moving, the sweeper on the bicycle asked me how I was, and she said I looked ok, but in pain (I have plantar fasciitis, pain is relative!) so she said as long as I kept up....

At Mile 11 I turned and realized... the white vans, and police car was coming upon us - I kept trodding along... After Mile 11 you go down and then up the last overpass into Epcot and Mile 12 - she had 1 - 2 people cut across and she said they had to keep up with me, but if they were in pain...

and I kept trying to catch the pack - I truly gave it all I had, but couldnt... Carrie and Scot from WISH were standing in the rain - waiting to cheer me on... :goodvibes but still, surely I could catch the pack? nope, but I tried... in epcot on the run up to Future World the sweeper said I could cut across if I wanted to - I said I wanted my medal, and it wouldnt be fair to get by those that ran up... so up I ran...

and then finally the Finish line, a wheelchair runner met me and said he was going to stay with me, but for me to run as fast as I could... I was... he asked where I was from, and everyone yelled YaY Sandy from Chicago...

Then 4 or 5 people stopped and waited for me and we crossed the finish line - the announcer said to stand on your feet and cheer the last runner, and he said my name...

overwhelming that!!

The meet was overwhelming. I was glad DH was able to meet up with Chris (the Blind runner)

and how funny that Liz ran by me at Mile marker 6 IN THE MK (in my many many layers I chose to wear my WISH shirt on top of my coat!) Its always encouraging to me to hear, "love your shirt" or "youre looking good, keep it up" (as they pass me strong!!)

Liz and her friend (whose name I forgot - sorry) passed me and asked me my screen name!! LOL small world!! We both ran to take a picture of our time at mile 6 -

I stopped at LTT to have a kind CM tie my shoe (I couldnt bend over! ) I was fading, but felt strong!!

I'm trying to keep in mind our lovely WISH shirt sentiment - DEAD LAST FINISH is greater than...

Yes, I was DEAD LAST! (and I get teary eyed) I am grateful I could make it past the flag waver at Mile 10 - going up that hill/overpass is tough, I kept moving, the sweeper on the bicycle asked me how I was, and she said I looked ok, but in pain (I have plantar fasciitis, pain is relative!) so she said as long as I kept up....

At Mile 11 I turned and realized... the white vans, and police car was coming upon us - I kept trodding along... After Mile 11 you go down and then up the last overpass into Epcot and Mile 12 - she had 1 - 2 people cut across and she said they had to keep up with me, but if they were in pain...

and I kept trying to catch the pack - I truly gave it all I had, but couldnt... Carrie and Scot from WISH were standing in the rain - waiting to cheer me on... :goodvibes but still, surely I could catch the pack? nope, but I tried... in epcot on the run up to Future World the sweeper said I could cut across if I wanted to - I said I wanted my medal, and it wouldnt be fair to get by those that ran up... so up I ran...

and then finally the Finish line, a wheelchair runner met me and said he was going to stay with me, but for me to run as fast as I could... I was... he asked where I was from, and everyone yelled YaY Sandy from Chicago...

Then 4 or 5 people stopped and waited for me and we crossed the finish line - the announcer said to stand on your feet and cheer the last runner, and he said my name...

overwhelming that!!

I normally post on the Princess Half thread but came over here to see if any experiences were posted. Yours' brought tears to me eyes! There are wonderful people in this world--strangers and all!!

Sounds like a wonderful experience. Congratulations on your achievement!!

Sandy,

Congrats and such a heart warming story. You and everyone else that braved the frigid temps and 13.1 miles deserve two medals. Wish we were there. Next time at a future race. Congrats to all. Have fun the rest of the weekend.

I did get up this morning at 6:00 (I know wimp) and did tree miles on the treadmill in solidarity. Hamstring is a little sore but holding together.

Today feels colder - but no precipitation :yay: THE SUN IS SHINING (you can see your breath! THAT's cold!) Good luck to the marathoners!!

went to the official chip time page - I wasnt the last finisher!! :cool1: I looked at my age group and a woman was 1 minute slower than I was!! So that means she was in a higher wave than I was - the deducted 30 minutes - the first wave went off 30 minutes before I crossed the start line - I was one of the first runners to cross the start line in the LAST wave - and there were thousands behind me - yet only 30 min was deducted so the 3 hr 30 min must be from the start of the last wave, not from when the last runner crosses the start line..

I still was the last to cross the finish line yesterday :sad2:

Sandy,
I'm Liz's friend and don't worry about not remembering my name. It was absolutely crazy weather out there and it was tough just putting one foot in front of the other at times. No need to expend energy remembering names too:goodvibes Congrats on the finish! We were really hoping you made it and so happy to hear that you did.:cool1: I have a couple of pictures of you. Let me know if you'd like me to post them or PM me and I'll e-mail them to you.
The race was brutal weather wise, but so much fun! Lots of great characters out and my training paid off because I finished really strong. I can't wait to hear others reports and I hoped that most of us got the coveted medal!
Who is up for next year?:goodvibes

Check out my new avatar! You can barely see me, but Mickey and Donald sure look cute! Still anxiously awaiting other reports:goodvibes

Sandy,

I think I passed you on our way into the MK! I was wearing a green WISH visor! What a great story you have to tell! Don't ever give up! Maybe I'll see you on the course again sometime!

overwhelming that!!

Amazing story, Sandy. Like the PP, it made me tear up as well. And like the WISH motto, you finished, which is much better than me who never even started! You inspired me with this post. I hope you are as proud of yourself as we all are.

Drive-by posting: I finished! 2:59:31. I was hoping for 2:45 - 3, so I am really happy considering the conditions. I dropped all my layers by mile 2 and was fine until after I crossed the finish line. That was a long, cold, miserable monorail ride back home.

I hope everyone else did well. I can't wait to read everyone's stories when I get back.

we had a BLAST despite the miserable cold. Living in MS we don't have cold weather running gear...luckily a friend let me borrow a warm top and I bought another layer at the expo. ran it in 2:45....aiming for 2:30 and definately think if conditions were better I would have gotten it! Aldo i really wanted to finish with DH and he was having knee issues so we slowed at mile 10 on through the end. but we did it, our first half! I can't wait to upload my pics.

congrats to ALL the runners, and a HUGE HUGE thanks to all the wonderful volunteers. I love hearing everyones great stories!!!

Quick recap here as well...

Finished the half in 2:32, 17 minutes slower than I had hoped based on my last 1/2 - BUT the weather was definitely a challenge.

DH and I ran together (he stepped back from Coral A to C for me) BUT he was having stomach issues and his ITBS flared up so we had a few slower miles that contributed...

But hey- it was fun and its done :)

Off to plan my next one in February so I can qualify for the Half fanatics

Grats to everyone else -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter