Door Decorations Getting Out of Control?

I am all for door, decorations, and I love looking at them. I do them myself.

I’m just concerned that at some point, they’re gonna put a stop to it because many have simply gone out of hand. Hanging lights, connecting state rooms using the walls etc. at some points gonna become a hazard in someway and Iit will be ruined for all of us. Just keep it to the doors.

Last edited:
I am all for door, decorations, and I love looking at them. I do them myself.

I’m just concerned that at some point, they’re gonna put a stop to it because many have simply gone out of hand. Hanging lights, connecting state rooms using the walls etc. at some points gonna become a hazard in someway and Iit will be ruined for all of us. Just keep it to the doors.
I have been saying this for the past several cruises. DCL will def put a stop to it if it keeps growing and growing. Keep it to just your doors!!!!!

I'm not understanding why some people care if someone decorates their door. What am I missing? If it extends to the wall why does that matter to you?
Safety. Some people need to hold onto the railing or wall to move around the ship. If the walls are decorated extensively then that isn't possible.

I was just curious as to what my other cruisers thoughts were about stateroom door decor. For the most part, I find it cute and even if not to my personal style don't mind it. However, I have noticed more and more people choosing to not limit their decorating to their doors but to the adjacent hallway panels as well.

Am I the only one who thinks some of this decorating (especially spaces beyond your stateroom door and fish extender) is a little much?
I LOVE to put some magnets on my door but I HATE seeing people covering the walls and ceiling around their door. It looks awful. My understanding is that some of these "walls" are actually storage (so it's actually a door) and now the staff have a hard time getting into it to get the stuff they need.

My wife has been decorating our cabin door for years. Our last Disney cruise( the Fantasy) before COVID was November/December 2019. I do not remember seeing decorations much past the doors.

Our last Disney cruise(the Fantasy) was November/December 2022 and I remember seeing a lot of decorations on the walls between cabins.
I saw one time where as someone opened their cabin door, because they must of had their veranda door open at the same time it created a wind storm in the hall way blowing magnets and decorations off the doors and walls onto the floor. They did pick them up.

It will all stop when it gets so out of hand that cast members have to spend to much time picking them up off the floor or people start to slip on them and fall because of this.

Just off the Fantasy yesterday and I have to say I saw no creeping decorations other than above or below the fish extender. Hopefully, the trend is over.

IMG_4363.jpeg

Anyone old enough to remember when these wreaths were popular? (No need to say your grandmother used to make them.) I made a few for church craft fairs back in the day and since I went a little "overboard" buying Halloween fabric decided to make one for our upcoming Halloween on the High Seas cruise.

I checked the measurement of the Dream porthole and cut styrofoam to go around the 7.5" window. I just went to double check measurements when I noticed there's a peephole beneath the porthole. :sad2:

Anyone with experience decorating doors know if it's okay -- or against the rules -- to cover the peephole?

Thanks

I'm not understanding why some people care if someone decorates their door. What am I missing? If it extends to the wall why does that matter to you?
As other have said, it is when it is excessive. Some choose a ship for the ambiance, etc. and not to see something that looks like Dollar Tree vomited all over the walls.
It is like when you stay at a lovely resort and look up to see people's laundry hanging on the balcony railings. It is tacky and people need to realize a hotel room or cabin on a ship is not your home to rearrange and decorate.

As other have said, it is when it is excessive. Some choose a ship for the ambiance, etc. and not to see something that looks like Dollar Tree vomited all over the walls.
It is like when you stay at a lovely resort and look up to see people's laundry hanging on the balcony railings. It is tacky and people need to realize a hotel room or cabin on a ship is not your home to rearrange and decorate.
Sorry but the stuff you just described does not bother me at all. I guess that's what makes us all different

We love it. Sure some of it is goofy, even a bit manic, but we like seeing the individual shine through. We’ve only ever put out a couple of magnets (usually forget that kind of stuff) and don’t do FE (overwhelming idea), but we love seeing other people’s decorations, even the gauche ones. Crazy how much ba humbug there is on this thread. I thought Disney people loved Disney self-expression. I guess not disboards Disney people. 🫤

At the end of the day, one should do what makes the time with their family special and treasure the memories being made together. The joy in the moment. Trust there is likely other items in people’s rooms that are “fire hazards” other than fairy lights or whatever. I’m sure if these were truly a “hazard” then they would be banned or taken down immediately by housekeeping. If someone has “fear” of such “hazards” then God love ya, perhaps stay home or find a cruise line not so offensive to people’s delicate psyche’s. I can only speak for what I would/would not do in regards to room decor. Would I go beyond the door? No. But that’s just me not wanting to invade on the ships space; I keep it on the door. Am I going to let someone’s else’s choice impact my trip? No. You don’t know what hardships another has to deal with or has dealt with. Perhaps they’ve struggled. Perhaps they are entitled even. Who knows. Unless it’s offensive, move on and mind your business. For some people, they can only afford one trip so I mean….find something else to complain about. Good grief!

You don’t know what hardships another has to deal with or has dealt with. Perhaps they’ve struggled. Perhaps they are entitled even. Who knows. Unless it’s offensive, move on and mind your business.
No one is "entitled" to decorate their door. It's a practice that DCL currently allows, and could theoretically take away at any point.

Some cruise lines have banned door decorations, citing safety concerns. So the people who have expressed their concerns there aren't just making that up out of thin air. Also, to use your point: you don't know what hardships another person other had to deal with. Perhaps they had to deal with a house fire or something when they were younger, so they are extra vigilant about fire safety. So yeah, if they're a little extra "fearful" of fire hazards on a cruise ship, I can understand why.

I don't care much either way (about door decorations). We've done magnets, but just on our door and nothing else. If others want to, great, and if they don't, fine by me. And I don't see a need to complain about those who have a differing opinion that me on this. 🤷‍♀️

No one is "entitled" to decorate their door. It's a practice that DCL currently allows, and could theoretically take away at any point.

Some cruise lines have banned door decorations, citing safety concerns. So the people who have expressed their concerns there aren't just making that up out of thin air. Also, to use your point: you don't know what hardships another person other had to deal with. Perhaps they had to deal with a house fire or something when they were younger, so they are extra vigilant about fire safety. So yeah, if they're a little extra "fearful" of fire hazards on a cruise ship, I can understand why.

I don't care much either way (about door decorations). We've done magnets, but just on our door and nothing else. If others want to, great, and if they don't, fine by me. And I don't see a need to complain about those who have a differing opinion that me on this. 🤷‍♀️
And to you your point. If DCL had an issue, they would take away the ”practice” or add restrictions. I never said decorating the door is an “entitlement”. Who knows why some choose to go into the hallway and others don’t.

Yeah, you don’t know what people have gone through but you can’t sit and list ALL the possible hardships for crying out loud. I mean….just try. We’d be here for days! My response wasn’t to any one person on any one point. Consider it a blanketed response.

I mean, may as well bring up smokers If you want to start talking about “fire hazards”. What about the risk of a cigarette butt not being extinguished properly and a hot ash starting a fire. They have lighters (No, I’m no smoker). So yeah….we can go for days. Just saying.

This part of what I posted a few weeks ago.
It will all stop when it gets so out of hand that cast members have to spend to much time picking them up off the floor or people start to slip on them and fall because of this.
When it becomes a safety issue or Disney starts to see damage caused by people getting out of hand then it will be either curbed or stopped.

On our 2019 cruise I had to clean all the black marks the previous persons magnets left on the door before I put our magnets on the door. It took a good 5 minutes or more to clean.
Imagine if the room stewards had to do this on every embarkation day to every door, how much time do you think it might take.
Think how bad it might be if someone used tape not only on the door but on the walls, and yes I have seen where people used tape even tho they are not supposed to.

When I make my magnets I laminate them. I place the magnet inside between the laminating sheets so when it is sealed there is plastic between the magnet and the door. I use the self laminating sheets that do not need a machine of any kind.
This way I do not have to be concerned about the magnets leaving marks on the door.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter