Door Decorations Getting Out of Control?

dreamer17555

DIS Veteran
I was just curious as to what my other cruisers thoughts were about stateroom door decor. For the most part, I find it cute and even if not to my personal style don't mind it. However, I have noticed more and more people choosing to not limit their decorating to their doors but to the adjacent hallway panels as well.

Am I the only one who thinks some of this decorating (especially spaces beyond your stateroom door and fish extender) is a little much?

Do magnets even stick to the adjacent walls?
They must. A family on a cruise this winter brought on over 100 magnets and posted lots of pics of their decorated walls next to their stateroom. Unless they were using tape but I know that’s not allowed and they all looked liked magnets.

Last edited:

They do - the walls are magnetic and covered in vinyl or something similar. I saw a maintenance person cutting it last week. On my last cruise I also noticed far more folks extending their decorations far beyond their door and into the surrounding area... we aren't into tripping hazard yet but it is getting close!

I was blown away on my last cruise with the door deco - some doors even had blinking lights ! Often the deco went well past the doors - one person made tons of magnets and had a sign to please take one - they were little ducks - so cute !
I myself like walking around looking at everyone’s door deco and FE - some very creative cruisers ! I have dry erase board on my door and I post trivia on it daily - other cruisers do the same - that’s also fun !

I was blown away on my last cruise with the door deco - some doors even had blinking lights ! Often the deco went well past the doors - one person made tons of magnets and had a sign to please take one - they were little ducks - so cute !
I myself like walking around looking at everyone’s door deco and FE - some very creative cruisers ! I have dry erase board on my door and I post trivia on it daily - other cruisers do the same - that’s also fun !
And I think the white board with trivia sounds awesome! I don't even hate blinking lights... It's just when it extends beyond the door to the walls that I feel that it gets to be too much (and I feel this way even if decorating the wall between connecting staterooms)... But perhaps I am a bit of a curmudgeon.

It just all starts to feel like too much to me personally.

Just like the oven indulgent people with the alcohol policy ruining it for everyone else people over decorating their doors will make Disney reconsider allowing people to do this.

It is likely this - the over-indulgent people. The side of me that wants to give people the benefit of the doubt tried to say that perhaps they had had their magnet move to another door (yes it happens) or taken all together (that happens too) and had been using it to "find their room". But it's likely the over-indulgence.

If you're doing it to "find your room", just learn your number. It's easier. (Plus if you can't even remember what deck, you're still going to have to go up and down the halls.

We decorate our door and our door alone. The kids love it. I love when people get into it - but I am sure it’s off putting to some. One cruise I overheard a woman call it competitive vacationing. I hadn’t thought about it in that way - because we do it for us - not for anyone else. To each their own I guess!

I just really could care less. Each to his own. If I didn't like door decorations, I would just do a different cruise line. We do some, mostly just a few small magnets and a fish extender. I did have a small pin board up above the FE last cruise, because it wouldn't stick to the door. I have 3 small foam ones that I will stick to the door this time. I don't like to put too many magnets I like, because they get stolen. I put the ones I really like inside the cabin. I did buy some blue snowflake lights for our Alaska and xmas cruises. I will hang it around the door with magnet hook. I will probably move it inside the cabin when we are gone for long and only turn on it occasionally. I do dislike when stuff gets really bulky and extends out into the hallway though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter