• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DxDDP: Exactly how do you share?

Status
Not open for further replies.
THAT is the question! According to some of the non-Disney owned places, they only reimburse for what the plan allows, thus Via Napoli not allowing sharing. This whole thing of letting kids or adults use kid credits to get adult meals is puzzling to me. It must not happen enough to make a difference to the Disney bean counters.

It would seem to me that Disney might reimburse for all the actual meal items ordered or I would think the restaurants would all strictly enforce not sharing adult and child credits or sharing credits in general. If they are getting their money they don’t care. And Disney is making a killing off the dining plan as a whole so that the small percentage that actually know how to game the plan do not radically affect their profits. That is all speculation of course but it makes the most sense to me that way. I’m telling you 99% of the servers didn’t blink and even encouraged and sometimes begged us to order our desserts to go when we were to full to order them.

Can someone explain how this would work for our reservation? We have two adults in one room, two adults in a second, and two adults, one child and a baby in the third room? What would we pay and what we would have to share? It sounds so complicated!

Can someone explain how this would work for our reservation? We have two adults in one room, two adults in a second, and two adults, one child and a baby in the third room? What would we pay and what we would have to share? It sounds so complicated!

Assuming that everything stays just as it is right now, this is one way you could do it.

Get the DxDDP for the room with 2 adults and 1 child. The cost would be $276 per night. You would then have 9 TS credits per night to use among the 6 adults and pay OOP for the child or share from your plate. At each a la carte meal, you would get an app, entree, dessert, and drink for each adult which would be a ton of food. Depending on how all of you eat, you could easily use credits for 4 meals and all share somehow, but that would be up to you.

You would also have 6 snack credits per night to share, so all the adults would have 1 each per night. Doing it this way, you could divide the $276 by 3, so it would be $92 per couple per night.

We have two rooms booked at POP in May, for 4 nights, and have DH in one room with the DxDDP and myself and our 2 kids (DS-17&DD-13) with the QSDP. Is the thought here that if the 4 of us go eat a TS meal that DH will not be able to use 4 of his TS credits to pay for our meal?
I called and had our reservation changed to have us all just on the regular DDP for both rooms. Cost us a little more $$, and won't be able to get the apps with the TS restaurants we picked out, but I didn't want to risk paying for the dining in advance, and then find out when we get there and try to use 4 credits for a meal that we can only use 1 credit and be OOP for the other 3 of us.

I’m heading out in a couple weeks. There are 6 of us in 2 rooms. My plan was to purchase DxDP for room with 2 ppl. This would give us 6 TS credits each day, enough for 1 sit down meal. We would pay other meals OOP.

When I did the math, I concluded we could eat cheaper by paying OOP, but if we splurged on the DxDP we would do a buffet or two, and maybe sample some apps we normally wouldn’t.

Now that I’m hearing some restaurants or servers are confused about the policy on sharing credits, I’m rethinking. Seems the safer course is to go OOP.

Thoughts?

We just returned from a two week trip. I had a very hard time sharing DxDDP between our two rooms. When we were there in April I had zero issues. Multiple CMs reported that about a month ago they were told no transferring ie sharing. In every instance they had to get a manager to ok and it wasn’t approved all the time. I’d be happy to provide a list of restaurants if anyone is interested and this was just my experience.

We just returned from a two week trip. I had a very hard time sharing DxDDP between our two rooms. When we were there in April I had zero issues. Multiple CMs reported that about a month ago they were told no transferring ie sharing. In every instance they had to get a manager to ok and it wasn’t approved all the time. I’d be happy to provide a list of restaurants if anyone is interested and this was just my experience.
thank you for your report. This makes me feel better about changing our dining plan and not assume we would have been able to share between rooms.

Please provide a list.

Also, where you trying to use “child” credits for “adult “ meals ?

And what was the size and makeup of your party (adult/child)

Last edited:
I’m confused why it would matter? I understand if people are trying to get adult meals and only paying for a child’s, but what’s the difference if someone is just paying for another traveler’s dinner? Is there a no sharing policy?

I’m confused why it would matter? I understand if people are trying to get adult meals and only paying for a child’s, but what’s the difference if someone is just paying for another traveler’s dinner? Is there a no sharing policy?

There is NOT a no-sharing policy and you're right, it shouldn't make a difference if you want to purchase a meal for a friend using your credits. My personal guess is it is because more people are buying the plan for a child, but using the child credits for adult meals. Whether Disney knows this is the reason their profit margin is down is anyone's guess, but "no sharing" will help to take care of that problem. What they really need to do is separate the credits into adult and child which would eliminate the problem, but still allow guests to treat others to a meal.

Diskids2. Thanks for the update. This makes a big difference in my plans. I’ll now plan to pay OOP, get my “special” meals off site, and save a bit of cash.

Please provide a list.

Also, where you trying to use “child” credits for “adult “ meals ?

And what was the size and makeup of your party (adult/child)

We were 3 adults on the deluxe dining plan in one room and two adults in the second room. I had deluxe for three adults.
There were no children involved at all.

We ate at: cape May. Raglan Road. Maya grill. Trex. Askerhus. Le cellier Chefs de France. Rainforest cafe. Rix sports bar. Planet Hollywood. House of blues. California Grill. Whispering canyon. Hollywood and vine. Brian derby. Tutto. Paradiso. Be our guest breakfast and lunch. (These really were no issue). Cinderella’s royal table. Liberty tree tavern. Mama Melrose. Sci fi. San Angel. 50’s prime time. Crystal palace. We were there for 14 nights.

50’s was an absolute no along with house of blues California Grill, tutto and Paradiso. The rest all required manager approval.

Hope this helps. Again I just returned. I’m editing to add that I understand your question about children but I want to really be specific here- I purchased a deluxe dining plan for three adults The other two were also adults. My kids are all over 24 years old.

The problem came right away when the band was scanned and it came up with three adults and we were five at the table.

And we were just there in April o we spring break. I had the exact same makeup and I literally had no issues so I was very surprised.

Last edited:
Then we definitely won’t be sharing. I certainly don’t want to spend time and energy arguing with staff each meal. Thanks for the update

We were only planning on sharing credits for two meals during our trip with others. But one of them is CG brunch. I think I will contact the restaurant directly before we add the plan. This is a very expensive meal and if we are not including this in our plans we would just pay OOP for the trip.

Transferring a credit would mean that the other person now has control of that credit- so they could go and use it without you or at a different place. When I buy 4 meals on my plan, those other people never have control or possession of the credit- it goes from my possession to Disney. There is no transfer occurring. I wouldbe curious if Disney has actually had their lawyers look over this interpretation because I don’t think it would stand up to a challenge.

That is how I interpret it.

Disney dining plan meals and snacks may not be redeemed for cash in whole or in part, sold separately, transferred or refunded.”

...Disney letting us know what THEY will not do. Example:

1) no, you can’t redeem your leftover credits at GS for cash or gift cards
2) no, you can’t purchase just snack credits
3) no, we can’t transfer your credits to another room/person because you have 5,000 left on your last day
4) no, we can’t refund them

:confused3

We were 3 adults on the deluxe dining plan in one room and two adults in the second room. I had deluxe for three adults.

We ate at: cape May. Raglan Road. Maya grill. Trex. Askerhus. Le cellier Chefs de France. Rainforest cafe. Rix sports bar. Planet Hollywood. House of blues. California Grill. Whispering canyon. Hollywood and vine. Brian derby. Tutto. Paradiso. Be our guest breakfast and lunch. (These really were no issue). Cinderella’s royal table. Liberty tree tavern. Mama Melrose. Sci fi. San Angel. 50’s prime time. Crystal palace. We were there for 14 nights.

50’s was an absolute no along with house of blues California Grill, tutto and Paradiso. The rest all required manager approval.

Hope this helps. Again I just returned. I’m editing to add that I understand your question about children but I want to really be specific here- I purchased a deluxe dining plan for three adults The other two were also adults. My kids are all over 24 years old.

The problem came right away when the band was scanned and it came up with three adults and we were five at the table.

And we were just there in April o we spring break. I had the exact same makeup and I literally had no issues so I was very surprised.

This is very disappointing to hear. Especially when they have said it is allowed.

I emailed Disney:

Walt Disney World Guest Mail (guest.mail@wdw.disneyonline.com)
To:you Details

Dear Paula,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

As long as you are dining together and have the entitlements, you are able to use it for other guests dining with you. I hope this helps and that you have a MAGICAL visit with us.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Garrison Swenson
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

We are planning on dining with two other family members who will not have the dining plan. Can we use table service credits to purchase a meal for them?

Thanks,

Paula

Last edited:
I really like the "all information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit" line. Just who are you supposed to confirm it with???

So at 50's Prime Time...you left without being able to use credits for everyone? This is our first meal on our first day and I am dreading this. We have deluxe on one room with 2A, 1C and we will be 4 adults, and 11 yr old, 3 yr old and infant. Im panicking now as we leave in 18 days and I dont want it to be a fight the whole time to use credits. We also have Tusker House, Rapunzel breakfast and CP booked as TS meals.
Frustrating as their own web page says you can redeem the meals and snacks in any order that you want.

How to Use Your Dining Plan
1. Present your valid Disney Resort ID (MagicBand or card) to your server or cashier at participating restaurants.
2. Specify the number of meals or snacks being redeemed.

For special dietary requests, Guests should note them at the time of booking their dining reservations. Guests may also speak with a chef or manager upon arrival at the dining location.

If you’re dining with another party that’s also using a MagicBand or card to redeem meals, please notify the server which meals should be redeemed on each valid Disney Resort ID.

You can redeem your meals and snacks in any order during your stay, until the number of meals and snacks associated with your package has been depleted. All unused meals and snacks and the ability to use your refillable mug expire at midnight on your package reservation checkout date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter