Earthquake!

I think everyone has their 'turn' on the wheel of misfortune. I don't have to remember far back to recall Northridge - 1-17-94, magnitude 6.7 (my friends in the San Fernando Valley lost their homes and all of their belongings to that one, and they left California after that, and my whole house was in disarray; this was the costliest natural disaster of all time until Hurricane Katrina, and buildings collapsed literally on top of people), Landers -6-28-92, magnitude 7.3 (huge), and its sister Big Bear earthquake 3 hours later, magnitude 6.5, not to mention Sylmar in the '70s and Whittier Narrows, etc. If you look at states that have the most quake activity on the Web, I think California is second only to Alaska, maybe not even second to Alaska anymore. We are long overdue, and frankly, we are "supposed" to be seeing quakes that are 6.0 and above quite frequently, according to CalTech, but for some reason, they are not happening yet, which has the scientists mystifed. All these little ones may be leading up to another Northridge or a worse one. That can't be forgotten. Malaysia didn't have any big quakes....until they DID have a big quake. Los Angeles doesn't have any big quakes....until we DO have a big quake. No one's life is destoyed or home is demolished...until it suddenly IS ruined and demolished. You see what I mean? Nothing seems bad until it directly affects you or people you know. My friend in New Orleans never worried much about hurricanes...until a little storm named Katrina came barreling along, and his whole life was turned upside down.

So I am not putting my life on hold because I worry about quakes, certainly, because that would be foolish, but I also don't say, "Well...it could be worse...I could be in Malaysia," just because our next 'turn' on the wheel of misfortune hasn't come up yet. This is L.A., after all, and the state of California is notoriously known as "earthquake country.":goodvibes If I were living in New Mexico, which has virtually no natural disasters to worry about and not too much bad weather, then I might say, "It could be worse...I could be in Malaysia." But I know all too well that L.A. or even Northern California could be another China or Italy or Turkey with the same kind of devasation and destruction.

I agree with you..Sherry..I am a native Californian..and..don't worry about them..anything could happen to someone anywhere...In fact..like I said in another thread..I was on Monsters Inc ride at Disney during this one..and..didn't even feel it..lol

Even if one happened, if I don't feel it, I don't get anxious like I do if I felt it. :confused3 Now, the place I would hate to be is in a line like Space Mountain. :eek:

I have felt little shakes many times..but..only once I remember feeling a bigger one..the Northridge one in 94...It was like a train coming through my home..then leaving..
Funny thing... last weekend when we arrived at the Fairfield..and..they put us on the top floor..I thought.. as I walked down to my room..I hope the building is earhquake proof..I do have a fear of heights..weird...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter