Earthquake!

You are not a freak. You felt the same panic that any person who is trapped would feel. It is human nature to start panicking when trapped but some people are easier going with such matters. You ws just doing what comes naturally.

I got stuck for about 20 minutes on Screamin near the end. I was luck as I had taken care of bathroom and food before the ride and carried a water bottle. i could have stayed there for 2 hours with no problem but the tall dudes where getting ansty because they were tall dudes in a small tight space. We did keep up spirits by joking amongst ourselves and even with the other stranded people.

Next time carry a small pen light as they can help you feel safe if the lights go out in the park at night or a ride stops. Just shine it on the floor of the ride vehicle to comfort you. There are a lot of people like you who panic when trapped or stuck on a broke down ride. You are not a freak hun, no way. :hug:

You are not a freak. You felt the same panic that any person who is trapped would feel. It is human nature to start panicking when trapped but some people are easier going with such matters. You ws just doing what comes naturally.

I got stuck for about 20 minutes on Screamin near the end. I was luck as I had taken care of bathroom and food before the ride and carried a water bottle. i could have stayed there for 2 hours with no problem but the tall dudes where getting ansty because they were tall dudes in a small tight space. We did keep up spirits by joking amongst ourselves and even with the other stranded people.

Next time carry a small pen light as they can help you feel safe if the lights go out in the park at night or a ride stops. Just shine it on the floor of the ride vehicle to comfort you. There are a lot of people like you who panic when trapped or stuck on a broke down ride. You are not a freak hun, no way. :hug:
Thanks mechurchlady!:hug: I feel a little better about feeling like a freak now. OMG Screamin is the one ride that I often wondered about : specifically what would happen if it stopped while going through the loop? :scared1: I would be frustrated stuck anywhere, but anyone stuck in that upside down position for any length of time must be scary and frustrating, not to mention all the bloods starts rushing to your head. :scared1:
I like the idea of the light pen. I think I will definitely pack one on my next trip. Thanks for the reassuring post!

Just happened again. It looks like we had a 3.9.

index_map.gif

ETA: Make that a 4.1

I sure felt it! It was sharp, fast jolt which made me jump up out of my chair again - it is interesting to note how much shorter the shaking time is with a 3.9 from the 4.7 the other day (which seemed to shake endlessly where I was), but it was a rough jolt. So it makes one wonder how sharp the jolting would be if the quake were larger than a 4.7!:scared1: I have had just about enough of this! I was just getting ready to watch a show about Drew Peterson on Dr. Phil, and now it will probably be interrupted due to quake coverage!:headache:

ETA - the quake has been upgraded to a 4.1! Lord, I hope this does not mean that we are leading up to a larger quake soon.

Two of my coworkers just continued their conversation. :rolleyes:

I work in El Segundo, so we felt it pretty well.

Yikes! :eek: So far, we haven't had any up here for months- at least in my area where I could feel it.

DD6 and I are headed to DL on June 21. Gotta admit to being really nervous with all this recent activity. I'm a total earthquake wimp.

So, not living in an earthquake zone, could you tell me what this recent activity means? Could it mean a big one is on the way, or do all these little ones help relieve the stress that's on the faults? I suppose no one really knows.

And the quakes just keep a-comin'. I bet Lavender Peach felt this latest one tonight - first CalTech said it was a 4.7. The it hopped up to a 5.0:scared1:. Then it was downgraded to a 4.7 again - but it was centered near Hawthorne/Westchester/Lenox - that basic area - and that is way too close to be having quakes! It felt jerky because of the close proximity, and it seemed to last a long time.

I am too jumpy and I am going to have a nervous breakdown if these quakes continue! Are we all about to slide into the ocean or what the heck is happening?? Will I be able to get my darn Fun Card at DLR before we crumble to the ground in California?

Yes! I did feel it! It was very mild over here though. I'm a little late coming into the conversation since it's been difficult lately to find enough time to come on the boards. But anyway, I felt the quake but DH and my MIL didn't feel it at all and we were in the same room. I looked over at them to see if they were reacting to an earthquake and they acted like nothing happened so i thought maybe i imagined it but then a little later there was a scrolling message on the tv telling about it so then I knew i wasn't imagining things.

Sherry, don't have a nervous breakdown! You'll be okay! :goodvibes

DD6 and I are headed to DL on June 21. Gotta admit to being really nervous with all this recent activity. I'm a total earthquake wimp.

So, not living in an earthquake zone, could you tell me what this recent activity means? Could it mean a big one is on the way, or do all these little ones help relieve the stress that's on the faults? I suppose no one really knows.

You're right no one really knows but the big one has been on it's way ever since I can remember. I've heard that the little ones do help relieve the stress though.

For anyone worrying about coming to California, don't let the earthquakes stop you! The chances of having a quake while you're here are slim and the chances of it being a big quake are slim too. So come and enjoy Disneyland!

Don't worry about being an earthquake wimp - I live in quake country and always have, and I am STILL a quake wimp!

Okay, to answer your question - you are right. No one really knows. The way it breaks down statistically is that more than likely there will NOT be any kind of larger quake resulting from these recent ones. Usually they taper off and die down. However, as a CalTech person said two nights ago, we are now in a "highly active quake period" (like what we were in from the late '80s to the early '90s, leading up to the horrifying Northridge quake that traumatized us all). This means that all kinds of quakes are happening all around California, and especially Southern California, on different faults, and as the CalTech person said, "Quakes cause quakes." ...Which means, with all this recent movement in the ground just this past year alone, it is very possible that a larger quake on some random fault could be triggered. In fact, just recently there have been lots of small quakes on a fault very close to the San Andreas, which means it could trigger one ON the San Andreas. In 1992, there was a quake located in Landers, California, of at least a magnitude 7.0 (I think it may have been a 7.2 or something), and because that was so LARGE, it literally triggered a very frightening 6.7 quake in Big Bear, on a totally different fault, just 3 hours later. So when you have large quakes, or even moderate ones, it is always a possibility it will trigger something on a different fault, if not its own faultline! More than likely it will NOT, as they always tell us....but it certainly could. And we have no way of knowing when, where, how large, etc.

ETA: As far as relieving stress on certain faults, if the quakes are sizeable enough, they may relieve stress, but they can also put pressure on other faults and make things worse. So we could get hit with a whopper on a totally unknown fault out of nowhere, and not the San Andreas at all. CalTech says that nothing could relieve stress on the San Andreas Fault unless it was at least a 6.0, I think they said. It is too overdue (or "pregnant") for a major quake that nothing small will relieve it. And anything smaller than that around it could add to the stress on the SA fault.

I would stick with your plans and not worry about any quake activity. I am sure everything will be fine. It is just very unsettling and unnerving.

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully our trip will be uneventful, and hopefully for you all these quakes will come to an end soon and/or will continue to be small.

I think I'd rather experience a Huricane then an earthquake. At least you know it's coming and can either leave or hunker down.

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully our trip will be uneventful, and hopefully for you all these quakes will come to an end soon and/or will continue to be small.

I think I'd rather experience a Huricane then an earthquake. At least you know it's coming and can either leave or hunker down.

I tend to agree with you - and I have lived here in California my entire life. I have always thought I "would rather" live in hurricane or tornado country because we at least would get a warning, most likely, and have a chance to get away if we chose to. I know tornados sometimes sneak up on you, but usually you have some sort of warning. With quakes, we have no clue if one will happen when we are on the 27th floor of a high rise, or at 3:00 a.m. when we are sound asleep, or at 6:00 a.m. when we are in the shower! You just have no way of knowing. You are totally vulnerable and not in control because they just hit out of nowhere and you can't escape!

Yikes! I didn't think about one happening while you're in the shower! Now I'll have to go all six days without one! :rotfl:

Where I live in Colorado we tend not to get tornados,...they are usually east of us (but no guarantees of course). The worst we have to deal with is the occasional blizzard, and that comes with a few days warning.

See, now I always think that I would rather have earthquakes than hurricanes. I guess because there is a huricane season so you know that there are going to be some every year where with earthquakes there will be a big one one year and then nothing for several years. The little ones don't do much so no big deal (although during a little earthquake I of course always worry it will turn into a big one). I guess it depends on what you're used to. I've never been in a hurricane so alll i've seen is the aftermath of the big ones they show on the news and that looks scary.

Anyway, don't worry about earthquakes. Maybe educate yourself a little so you know what to do in a quake just in case but don't worry about it and enjoy your trip!

See, now I always think that I would rather have earthquakes than hurricanes. I guess because there is a huricane season so you know that there are going to be some every year where with earthquakes there will be a big one one year and then nothing for several years. The little ones don't do much so no big deal (although during a little earthquake I of course always worry it will turn into a big one). I guess it depends on what you're used to. I've never been in a hurricane so alll i've seen is the aftermath of the big ones they show on the news and that looks scary.

Anyway, don't worry about earthquakes. Maybe educate yourself a little so you know what to do in a quake just in case but don't worry about it and enjoy your trip!

Good thing you weren't here for the massive Landers/Big Bear & Northridge quakes - which were preceded by several years of "high quake activity" involving "moderate" and "little quakes," like what we are experiencing now (according to CalTech). You might see why living in hurricane or tornado country is a tempting option - because you can escape with a warning and not be hit when you least expect it! That is the problem, as Lucy at CalTech said, "Quakes cause quakes." And she said we should expect that there will be much more quake activity in the next few years because prior to last year, we had been calm and quiet with quakes for a long time, and that is "not something we should get used to."

yawn, was that it, can I get a refund, what a lame ride that one was. It was a good ride but nothing like the big ones. I will now stop riding earthquakes and go back to my nap.

As far as relieving stress on certain faults, if the quakes are sizeable enough, they may relieve stress, but they can also put pressure on other faults and make things worse. So we could get hit with a whopper on a totally unknown fault out of nowhere, and not the San Andreas at all. CalTech says that nothing could relieve stress on the SF fault unless it was at least a 6.0, I think they said. It is too overdue (or "pregnant") for a major quake that nothing small will relieve it. And anything smaller than that around it could add to the stress on the SF fault.

I would stick with your plans and not worry about any quake activity. I am sure everything will be fine. It is just very unsettling and unnerving.

Oh, ok, I feel much better about that now. Thanks. :rolleyes: :rotfl:

Oh, ok, I feel much better about that now. Thanks. :rolleyes: :rotfl:

I think I was tired when I was orginally typing, and in my attempts to abbreviate San Andreas Fault, I kept typing "SF Fault" in the post above about how the CalTech people said that the little quakes along that fault would not relieve stress, and only a quake of 6.0 or larger would relieve some stress. I meant to say 'SA Fault.' :rotfl: Maybe I won't abbreviate next time and just type out the whole name!!:lmao::lmao: In any case, yes, it is not comforting, but they are mainly talking about the SoCal portion of the SA Fault, and not necessarily the NorCal section. And if this Newport Inglewood fault that has been active the last few days erupts in another 6.0, no one in L.A. will be feeling very comfortable. That is a little TOO geographically close for comfort - even moreso than Northridge.

Ever since I found my earthquake map [3 yrs] Washington, Oregon, California, New Mexico, and the 3 days a go West Virgina, have had Daily very day of the week, 2.1 ,2.2, 3.2 quakes most aren't even felt. So think everyday the quakes happen up and down the west coast so things are always moving everyday that is why the Big One that is going to make Vages ocean front property isn't going to happing.

Watch this little easy to see what, where and when the Quakes happen daily

http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/severeusnational/usearthquakereport_large.html

Ever since I found my earthquake map [3 yrs] Washington, Oregon, California, New Mexico, and the 3 days a go West Virgina, have had Daily very day of the week, 2.1 ,2.2, 3.2 quakes most aren't even felt. So think everyday the quakes happen up and down the west coast so things are always moving everyday that is why the Big One that is going to make Vages ocean front property isn't going to happing.

Watch this little easy to see what, where and when the Quakes happen daily

http://www.weather.com/maps/maptype/severeusnational/usearthquakereport_large.html

Yup, I agree. You can also Google the USGS website and see that earthquakes happen daily world-wide. It seems like the LA area is having lots but you guys are experiencing NOTHING compared to other parts of the globe. So see, you can always cheer yourself when you are crawling out from under your dining room table by saying "Well, it could be worse....I could be in Malaysia....." ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter