Earthquake!

Didn't feel a thing, but according to the USGS it was centered probably 100 miles away from me - http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/ci10406593.php - maybe you're much closer?

It was centered in Ojai and was a 4.2. From where I am right now we're 30 miles from that. I barely felt it. It felt like someone was running in the hall.

nope - I didn't feel anything here. I'm currently about 5 minutes from lax

It was a baby shakey. :laughing:

I wonder if it is related to that one from last week. I felt a slight shaking of my window but it stopped quickly. What is with these quakes lately?? I don't like this at all!

This is crazy! Just get all those quakes done before we come down in June! I don't want to waste another day at Disneyland with all the rides shut down again! :eek:

Actually, there were a few up here recently too. One was to the north of us and the other to south. Thankfully they were too far away for me to feel. :)

This is crazy! Just get all those quakes done before we come down in June! I don't want to waste another day at Disneyland with all the rides shut down again! :eek:

Actually, there were a few up here recently too. One was to the north of us and the other to south. Thankfully they were too far away for me to feel. :)
Just think how you can save money by not going to Universal Studios. California is a nice state as we offer free thrill rides with our earthquakes.

:lmao:

I've had enough of that thrill to last me a life time!

I heard of a restaurant in Japan that was an earthquake them. It shakes every so often. :eek:

And the quakes just keep a-comin'. I bet Lavender Peach felt this latest one tonight - first CalTech said it was a 4.7. The it hopped up to a 5.0:scared1:. Then it was downgraded to a 4.7 again - but it was centered near Hawthorne/Westchester/Lenox - that basic area - and that is way too close to be having quakes! It felt jerky because of the close proximity, and it seemed to last a long time.

I am too jumpy and I am going to have a nervous breakdown if these quakes continue! Are we all about to slide into the ocean or what the heck is happening?? Will I be able to get my darn Fun Card at DLR before we crumble to the ground in California?

We were having dinner at PF Changs in El Segundo, which is close to the epicenter. We felt quite a jolt & then it kind of rolled. One waitress shouted, "Everyone keep still!" which had a calming effect on the whole restaurant. After it finished we just noted that the lights were swinging, and continued our dinner.

We came home and found some of our ceramics (my ceramic Belle :( ) had fallen & lay broken on the ground. Also, some standing picture frames fell, but nothing else.

We were having dinner at PF Changs in El Segundo, which is close to the epicenter. We felt quite a jolt & then it kind of rolled. One waitress shouted, "Everyone keep still!" which had a calming effect on the whole restaurant. After it finished we just noted that the lights were swinging, and continued our dinner.

We came home and found some of our ceramics (my ceramic Belle :( ) had fallen & lay broken on the ground. Also, some standing picture frames fell, but nothing else.

Aw, MJ, I'm sorry to hear about the broken Belle.
Were you being serious about the waitress's shout calming everyone? Amazing that she had the presence of mind to do that.

Aw, MJ, I'm sorry to hear about the broken Belle.
Were you being serious about the waitress's shout calming everyone? Amazing that she had the presence of mind to do that.

She held out her arms to the side and said loudly, "Everyone stay still." There were a few people who showed they were nervous. My daughter kind of laughed at me and said that I got scared, but I told her, no, I was looking to see where we could go because the windows could implode. She said, "oh." lol

I'm bummed about my Belle. My daughter has given me a different character through the years for my birthday & Mothers Day, so they mean a lot to me.

She held out her arms to the side and said loudly, "Everyone stay still." There were a few people who showed they were nervous. My daughter kind of laughed at me and said that I got scared, but I told her, no, I was looking to see where we could go because the windows could implode. She said, "oh." lol

I'm bummed about my Belle. My daughter has given me a different character through the years for my birthday & Mothers Day, so they mean a lot to me.

:hug:

The good thing is that you are okay.

We lost a lot of our wedding gifts in the Northridge quake. Honestly, it was so awful that I try not to buy breakable things anymore. There is also a product called Quake Hold, have you heard of it? Or Museum Wax? You can put these on the bottom of your breakables. I think I'll go put some of my inherited breakables on the floor now.

El Segundo is RIGHT near where the quake happened tonight, and two of the aftershocks were located in El Segundo, so Mary Jo was in the thick of the action. And my window just rattled so that must have been another small one. I hate that feeling of losing something in a quake that was meaningful, like poor Belle.:sad1: I am so sorry about that, Mary Jo.:hug:

I don't know why that horrific Northridge quake didn't scare me into getting some Museum Wax but I may have to look into it because I have lots of standing frames I don't want to lose and lots of snowglobes and Disney collectibles and things. I keep forgetting where I am living, I guess! Earthquake country, as the news reporters keep saying.

Oh, and one of the seismologists interviewed on the phone tonight now says that depending on what area you live in, it may be okay to run outside after all! He said that if you dont have a lot of wires overhead or tall buildings with lots of glass around, it may be all right to make a run for the outdoors during a quake!

I forgot to say that we live in Carson. I heard on the news that the quake was felt more to the south of the epicenter rather than the north, and Carson is southeast, so that makes sense. We found a huge champagne glass (about 10" tall) that we've had since my parents were married, broken in half because it fell off the dining room cabinet. Also, we have a huge framed picture on our stairs that is now hanging by one hook so I've asked my son to please fix it before it falls & hurts someone.

My grandmother got that museum wax for her stuff. She had a house full of stuff, and some fell during the Whittier earthquake. So, my grandfather built little ledges on all her shelves, and they glued everything down in case of another quake. She lived in East LA. But, I had never thought of getting it for myself.

I haven't heard from my sister so don't know if she felt that one. I've never had anything break during an earthquake, just a few light things fall off a shelf. But if the boys have a sleep over I think where they are and if something like the tv might tip over on them during an earthquake so I make sure they aren't near antything like that.

Sherry, hope you are doing ok. I understand what you mean about a nervous breakdown. Depending on the size of the quake, I walk around for weeks wondering if another one will happen at any moment. Good to hear what that expert said because that is exactly what I thought. That is why I would run out of my house.

Mary Jo, I'm sorry about your Belle. I'm glad you guys are okay.

I have a whole shelf full of nice, breakable things. I need to see if the shelf is secured to the wall. I don't want that thing falling on me.

So you all are getting about 1 every week on average -- on April 23, May 1, May 8 and now May 17? :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:
What happens at DL when the quake hits? Do the rides stop automatically or do they let them at least pull into the loading station? I'm a little freaked out right now because a lot of things have been happening recently at work (scheduling conflicts, short staffed, being a supervisor I can't just up and leave knowing we're short staffed, etc.) pointing me towards canceling my trip, and now I'm beginning to wonder if somebody above is sending me signs that it's not meant to be...:confused3 :scared: First all the stuff at work, then the swine flu, now the earthquakes. Hmmmm...So what does Disney do when the quakes hit? I really don't want to get stuck on a ride. :scared1:

Hmm... I wasn't on a ride when it happened last summer. I was on Main Stree so not near a ride. But it seems like they probably let the ride finish and then shut it down. I can't say for sure, but I didn't hear anyone around the park that day say they were stuck. But maybe it depends on the ride.

Hmm... I wasn't on a ride when it happened last summer. I was on Main Stree so not near a ride. But it seems like they probably let the ride finish and then shut it down. I can't say for sure, but I didn't hear anyone around the park that day say they were stuck. But maybe it depends on the ride.

Thanks PinkBudgie. Sorry I hate to sound so paranoid, but just yesterday one of my co-workers said to me, "If one more thing goes wrong, you might want to consider that this trip isn't meant to be; like somebody upstairs is trying to tell you something." I agreed with her and then I came home and saw all these posts about the quake. Scary.

Sometimes evacuations from rides can show you the back stage areas of rides. A chance to walk through the ride and see cast lockers and other stuff.

Magic Mountain had a flume ride that stopped and I had to climb from one log to another iwth flip flops on. Scary very scary. Normally either they cycle the ride through if it is only precautionary or evacuate if it is more serious. Check youtube for some great footage.

Sometimes evacuations from rides can show you the back stage areas of rides. A chance to walk through the ride and see cast lockers and other stuff.

Magic Mountain had a flume ride that stopped and I had to climb from one log to another iwth flip flops on. Scary very scary. Normally either they cycle the ride through if it is only precautionary or evacuate if it is more serious. Check youtube for some great footage.

Hi mechurchlady! I have seen a few pics from people who had ride evacs. I always thought it wouldn't be a problem for me. And then on my last trip Indy came to a screeching halt, in the pitch black dark in one of the tunnels (where they normally flash the bugs on the wall). I kind of felt this small but rising sense of panic. I immediately went to turn on my camera to occupy my thoughts and the battery was dying so it kept shutting off! I couldn't see in the dark to find my spare and change them out. :scared1: Just when I started to think, "OMG I need to get off this ride," then the ride resumed. Thank God. I've since read about people getting stuck on POTC for 2+ hours while they painstakingly took the boats one by one and had people exit backstage. That would freak me out.
I am a Type A, control freak. I hate being in situations in which I have no control. I also am a little claustrophobic, so the fact that I was stuck on Indy in the dark and the lap belt was locked, freaked me out a little. I know it's for safety so people like me don't just undo the lap belt, but yeah, I think if I knew I could have undone the lap belt, it would have made me feel better because I would have had a little control. :eek: Honestly, if I could have undone it, I would have just to test it and then I would have put it back on. I promise!;) Okay, it's official, I am a freak. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter