• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eclipse on Monday being allowed into the park with welder glasses?

I agree. There was a partial eclipse when I was a kid. We watched through welding glass and pinhole viewers, and we all managed just fine. I think I was in upper elem at the time. Now we're hearing all these warnings like you shouldn't be outside during the eclipse without protection even if you don't plan to watch, welding glass isn't dark enough to be safe, etc. I wonder how much of it is the usual fearmongering that our media engages in because it drives ratings, and how much is the no-acceptable-risk mindset that our culture has embraced over the last 20 years or so.
Oh for goodness sake. Ridiculous. How does anyone manage not to sear their corneas every single day of their life? :sad2:

Oh for goodness sake. Ridiculous. How does anyone manage not to sear their corneas every single day of their life? :sad2:
I'm wondering that and how some people manage to remember to breathe in and breathe out without direction.
Seriously wondering how we managed to have any eclipse without all these warnings and directions in the past.
Folks are acting like this is the first one ever.

We're not in the path of totality, we're in the Atlanta area and most of the counties have cancelled school that day. Ours hasn't, but it's an excused absence for any child that's out that day - they're also providing glasses and using it as a learning opportunity and having late dismissal so they can all watch.

I'm taking a half day off and we're driving up North about an hour to watch from there. Hopefully. If we can make it in time with the traffic.

I'm in north east Atlanta and we have tickets to an event in Rabun. Starting to get worried about it though. I've been sick all weekend and don't know how much I want to be stuck in traffic all day and never make it there.

Yes, frankly I'm surprised Disney world isn't closing or didn't do like schools and get glasses for the people. For the price people pay for Disney and all the kids there, its just insanely stupid of them to risk people losing their eyesight. Kids are going to look at the sun, especially when it isn't super bright and I can guarantee there will be at least a few kids that have permanent damage from it walking around Disney.

In what way would any of this be Disney's fault?

We do not have interior hallways. When you leave the classroom you go outside. You have to go outside to go to the bathroom. Classes are not in 1 building but rather there are pods of 3 classroom that are connected and every other pod has a bathroom for boys and girls attached to it-but even if your pod has an attached bathroom room can only enter it by going outside.

The thing is we cant let kids pee their pants and we cant really even tell them no if they say that they really need to go to the bathroom. They are 8-they go all the time! If the school is that concerned then they should close the school for the day.

I don't mean to be rude, but I gotta say, odd setup. So, on a rainy day or cold day or whatever, it's time to get the umbrella or bundle up to go to the bathroom? Weird. I know it would be unheard of here up north, but I still find it odd in the south where I assume you have to be. It still gets chilly in Florida in January. I know I had one WDW trip with hats and gloves and scarves.

Anyway, good luck with the situation on Monday. Not sure how you can possibly tell the kids "no bathroom."

Our school isn't closing, but isn't letting the kids outside at all... and they didn't tell the parents. I happened to ask one kid's teacher if I should send glasses to school and she told me they're keeping everyone inside. After I asked, she actually emailed the whole class. The other kid's teacher still hasn't said anything proactively but when I asked she also said "nope".

So, we'll be pulling the kids out of school for one period to watch. How many others will be disappointed and won't have had the chance to do anything about it? I respect the district's decision, but I'm irked that they didn't proactively tell the parents the plan. We've been talking about the eclipse a bunch this summer and they're looking forward to it. I saw it at school many moons ago (with a pinhole viewer) and assumed they'd go outside as well. Bad assumption.

I don't mean to be rude, but I gotta say, odd setup. So, on a rainy day or cold day or whatever, it's time to get the umbrella or bundle up to go to the bathroom? Weird. I know it would be unheard of here up north, but I still find it odd in the south where I assume you have to be. It still gets chilly in Florida in January. I know I had one WDW trip with hats and gloves and scarves.

Anyway, good luck with the situation on Monday. Not sure how you can possibly tell the kids "no bathroom."

Nope not in the south, in California. We don't get the cold temps and rain that Florida gets-not even close. Pretty much every modern school is made this way around here. The only schools I have seen anywhere even remotely near here with indoor hallways are all really old buildings.

I agree that there is no way to keep kids from going to the bathroom. I kind of want to just write sub plans and call in sick Monday. Then I won't have to be the one called into the office to answer for why I let little Johnny go outside during the big, bad, scary eclipse. Sheesh if it's so dangerous then school should be closed.

Down here in South Florida nearly all the schools are open buildings. You leave a classroom and you're outside. There's of course overhangs so no need for an umbrella when it's raining. But a school down here with it all inside halls and where you don't go outside everytime you leave a classroom is pretty rare

Not odd at all. Grew up in Miami and both my elementary and high school had exterior walkways with overhangs.

It actually the most common setup in the south. I really doesn't get cold enough for it to be a bother except a few days a year, and then only before about 10 am or so.

Not odd at all. Grew up in Miami and both my elementary and high school had exterior walkways with overhangs.
Yep. I grew up near Tampa and EVERY school I attended, from elementary to high school had exterior walkways with overhangs. I didn't see a school that was mostly enclosed until we moved here to NY.

Seriously suggesting Disney should close due to the eclipse? You are joking right? What happened to personal responsibility? Did I miss the sign requiring anyone go to the park on Monday? Geeze

I'm not sure why someone would think Disney has any responsibility to provide glasses, shut down, or has a liability problem. Being on Disney property doesn't make Disney responsible for everything. Should the grocery stores, gas stations, Walmarts, national parks, camping sites, car lots, etc, etc, etc all be responsible for the eclipse because people are on their property?

Nope not in the south, in California. We don't get the cold temps and rain that Florida gets-not even close. Pretty much every modern school is made this way around here. The only schools I have seen anywhere even remotely near here with indoor hallways are all really old buildings.

I agree that there is no way to keep kids from going to the bathroom. I kind of want to just write sub plans and call in sick Monday. Then I won't have to be the one called into the office to answer for why I let little Johnny go outside during the big, bad, scary eclipse. Sheesh if it's so dangerous then school should be closed.

I'm guessing that design is better for earthquakes? Everyone can get outside quickly if everyone has an outside exit door? I'm guessing it's cheaper too?

Huh. Well I've learned something new. I've traveled a ton but never lived anywhere with year-round good weather. I guess when on vacation I've never looked at the schools. I guess that means those schools have to be fenced in entirely (so strangers can't grab a kid on the way to the bathroom) but if it works for so many schools it's clearly not as odd as it feels to me.

Hello! We were one of the many families who purchased eclipse certified glasses on amazon that turned out to be fake. After many library runs, calling around and visiting stores, we found an old mechanic shop that has welder glasses with several glass sheets that are certified to view the eclipse. My husband has made viewing glasses out of some of them- see attached photo. We will bring the original welding goggles and the home made ones with us on our day at Epcot. Will security allow these through? I'm planning on being inside during a ride with the three younger ones. What else is everyone planning on doing for the eclipse to make sure their younger kids don't accidentally look at the sun without protection? View attachment 262787 View attachment 262788
Saw this on a website and also heard it on the news last night.

While there are a wide range of price points for welding masks the important specification to note is mask must be a 12 or 13 shade for sufficient protection from the sun. Welding Glasses or Dark Green Face Shield rated IR3 or IR5 are not going to be protective enough for staring at the sun."

I'm not sure why someone would think Disney has any responsibility to provide glasses, shut down, or has a liability problem. Being on Disney property doesn't make Disney responsible for everything. Should the grocery stores, gas stations, Walmarts, national parks, camping sites, car lots, etc, etc, etc all be responsible for the eclipse because people are on their property?

Those places don't cater to children. But remember the alligator issue? You could say the same thing about that.

Those places don't cater to children. But remember the alligator issue? You could say the same thing about that.
Just because children are there, it doesn't make Disney responsible for anything. An eclipse isn't anything like the other incident.

Are you saying any outdoor activity that takes place on Monday and has children at it should be responsible for providing glasses? All the water parks at the Wisconsin Dells? Universal Studios? Zoos? Legoland? Lake of the Ozarks? Mount Rushmore?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter