Eclipse on Monday being allowed into the park with welder glasses?

yes , you do. please stop spreading false info that could hurt people. at least directly.. unless you mean using pinhole methods. if you give kids directions and they don't follow them, there are consequences. ... true... but permanent blindness or partial blindness isn't worth the risk. I don't care about lawsuits or lawyers. I care about my grandchilren's vision. as I have a husband losing his vision, you can't put a price on that
You are incorrect. You DO NOT need glasses. There are MANY safe methods of indirect viewing, as the PP said.

That's true every single day of the year, not just today.
That is correct. Looking at the sun for a period of time, eclipse or not, can cause the same damage. The major differences are that (A) normally no one has a reason to look at the sun for an extended period of time and (B) since it will be generally darker, the eyes/body won't react totally the same way to protect itself so you CAN stare at the sun longer. This is why damage is a possibility and why the warnings are there.

and this is why parents need to be proactive with their children's education and not be lemmings. particiapate. take the initiative and ask.. find out what your district is doing and respond accordingly.. if theyare keeping the kids inside, keep your kids home that day and let them them safely view it.

Oh, yes totally need to be proactive. But I do suspect some parents just never thought to ask the question. I certainly get caught off guard by things at school that I never thought to ask. And we are a really proactive family.

I mentioned the eclipse to one parent last week and she was surprised they're being held inside. Never crossed her mind to ask because her other kid is at the high school where the entire school is watching together on the football field. Truth be told, she can't do anything about it (doesn't work close enough to the school to come get the kid for an hour or two and probably can't take the day off from work) but she still looked surprised.

Anyway, I know a few others figured this out and will be taking the kids out today, including my daughter's best friend. I think they'll have a good time together and make some BFF memories with pinhole cameras and eclipse glasses. Now just hope we get a burst of sun among the clouds today. We should get some clearing but here's hoping it's at the right time. Fingers crossed!

"Ok kiddies ignore the totally cool teachable moment happening outside...."
I've heard several parents say they are keeping kids inside or making them wear glasses all day. As a science teacher that bothers me. Teach correct viewing and get out there and enjoy the eclipse!
That is a shame about some schools. In our area, the schools are pretty universally equipping the kids with glasses and taking them out to view. DH and DS12 are so into this that they traveled to Nashville to see totality. DD10 and I will content ourselves with a partial. :)

I can imagine some people thinking Disney has a responsibility to hand out glasses, or something. Seems nutty to me, but I can imagine that.

Has OP reported back yet?? I'm curious now if these homemade glasses made it through! I'd guess Disney would err on the side of allowing someone in with this protective eyewear rather than risk being accused of leaving guests without a means to protect their eyes during the eclipse if they really want to view it...

this has nothing to do with corneas. everything to do with retinas. . the cornea is in the front of the eye. the retina is in the back. the sun's rays never affect the cornea at all. I just hate false info spreading around.
Whoosh

20953297_10209812767297818_8052736466501137836_n.jpg

It was really cool here but we had 100% for over 2 minutes. Considering how it looks at about 80% yeah, I'm shocked Disney acknowledged it. At most it looked like partial cloud cover when there was no cloud.
What I found cool was the sunset and sunrise sky. We have enough clouds on the horizon that it looked incredible for 5 minutes. And the drastic temp change.

I can't believe Disney closed anything. Even here where it was 98%, it was nowhere near dark enough to need any sort of lighting to see outside.

I'm about 2 hours south of Disney in I guess somewhere around 70-80% totality? I looked outside and it got a little darker but not much. I've seen way darker with cloud cover.

I think a lot of people were expecting it to be dark enough to need lights to come on lol. Whomp whomp

If you weren't in 100% totality it was like any other day

This solar eclipse might be the most overrated thing of 2017 so far.

I'd personally put it more overrated than fidget spinners..But it's a close race

Except for those of us in the 100%. It was the most amazing thing I've seen in a very long time. You could see the darkness coming across the sky, and the ring around the moon was gorgeous!

Some of us tried to tell the 84% folks that they wouldn't even notice it, but......

I'm about 2 hours south of Disney in I guess somewhere around 70-80% totality? I looked outside and it got a little darker but not much. I've seen way darker with cloud cover.

I think a lot of people were expecting it to be dark enough to need lights to come on lol. Whomp whomp

If you weren't in 100% totality it was like any other day

My front steps were at about "98% total" due to our location, and it was quite dramatic
(as it went very, VERY quickly from "somewhat dark"
to nearly "total moonless midnight dark.")
Of course, it went very quickly the other way after about 2 minutes.

We made no special effort to see it other than just step outside for about 5 minutes.
I had a pin-hole punched in a sheet of cardboard and projected a very small image on a
sheet of paper.

Litte effort, and got a nice result...
but, nothing that I'll "remember forever." ;)

You forgot Rivers of Light.

;)

:worship::worship::worship:

My front steps were at about "98% total" due to our location, and it was quite dramatic
(as it went very, VERY quickly from "somewhat dark"
to nearly "total moonless midnight dark.")
Of course, it went the other way after about 2 minutes.

We made no special effort to see it other than just step outside for about 5 minutes.
I had a pin-hole punched in a sheet of cardboard and projected a very small image on a
sheet of paper.

Litte effort and got a nice result... but, nothing that I'll "remember forever." ;)

At "98%" location as well .............. snooze. Can't believe all the craziness around here to get glasses, even today a 4 hour line formed at Library. DS built a large pinhole box (head inside) and he was excited about old fashion way. I was shocked that it never got any darker than the green/yellow glow before a storm ... at 98% :confused3 Nope. Very underwhelming. I can't believe the varied differences within the same projected view.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter