• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ethical question about ddp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip-a-dee-dude-da

If only I could find a woman like Tinkerbell!!
I will be going to wdw in the fall and have a room at the Beach Club :sunny: Villas...my nephew(5) pirate: and parents were to be staying with me so we ordered the DDp and all was good. My sister was not going to come due to a scheduling conflict. Things have changed and my sisters family will be coming now and staying at the Vistiana Resort.....so my nephew will be staying with them.......I have a Dining resie for 4 people at the BCV (3A,1c) ..I know it is not ethical :confused3 but seems to be a good deal to leave my nephew on the reservation and use his meals to go to the HDDR or the LUAU or a sig. resturaunt. For 11 bucks a day this seems a no brainer......Am I a horrible person. Will they have a problem if I only have three people at dinner and the card says 3A 1C.......DONT FLAME ME :furious: , I KNOw Im bad :rolleyes1

So you're planning on using his meals to get extra food without a child sitting in the seat? Or you're going to pretend to be obtaining food for a non-existent 5-year-old to gain extra meals? For TS, I'm thinking the waiters are bound to notice you're not 5... Whether you get away with it or not, lying is unethical no matter how you rationalize it. It would be different if a member of your party couldn't come at the last minute and Disney wouldn't refund your prepaid price for a meal plan, but you have plenty of prior notice to reflect the numbers correctly. ~Ev

Zip-a-dee-dude-da said:
I know it is not ethical

If being unethical doesn't bother you than do it. However if you do something that you say is unethical, then it is not unethical to you, just to people who actually have ethics.

I would think that this counts as unethical. You are having a person on your reservation that is not there and keeping them on the ressie just for the purposes of getting the dinning plan at a discount. Clearly Disney intended for the persons that are getting the dinning plan to be staying on site. Since you asked I think this is not only unethical but it could also be considered fraud. Could you get away with it? Probably, but this isn't a gray area it is clearly wrong and could be considered illegal. (Not that Disney would do anything about it.)

My husband and I are going to WDW in August. We would like to eat at some signature restaurants. Should I add my 5 year old son to the plan so we can use his credits? (note I do not have a 5 year old son) It would save us so much money if we only had to pay $11/day for those extra meals. Isn't this what Disney intended when they gave a great price for the children's dining plan?

You know it's unethical, so why ask? I think the dining plan is a great deal already; no need to cheat to get your moneys worth.

I think you have to have a package (Tickets) to get the dining plan. In that case it wouldn't be cost effective. Plus I don't think it's ethical....~Susan

You know it's unethical, borders on fraud.

Your plan will work unless they start separating adult and child credits. Suppose I list my niece and nephew on my reservation and they're not even going to be in Orlando? It sounds worse but it is really any different?

I'd say the meal plan may not remain available, at least without a pass purchase, for DVC members if too many guests use your strategy.

Jennifer--OP already said this is bad and kind of admits it's unethical.
I have a problem with people who want to do something they know is wrong but hope by posting enough people will tell them it's OK. None of us are enpowered by Disney to grant exceptions. OP can and will do what he wants to do but our posts shouldn't in any way factor into his decision.

Letsbgoofy said:
My husband and I are going to WDW in August. We would like to eat at some signature restaurants. Should I add my 5 year old son to the plan so we can use his credits? (note I do not have a 5 year old son) It would save us so much money if we only had to pay $11/day for those extra meals. Isn't this what Disney intended when they gave a great price for the children's dining plan?
Well, this doesn't help with your desire to to dine at Signature restaurants, but couldn't you book your husband as a five-year-old, paying the child price for his passes and upgrading them on arrival to adult passes, and paying the child price for his dining plan?

kaytieeldr said:
Well, this doesn't help with your desire to to dine at Signature restaurants, but couldn't you book your husband as a five-year-old, paying the child price for his passes and upgrading them on arrival to adult passes, and paying the child price for his dining plan?

Good idea, DVC members don't have to buy passes. The only problem is the resort card will say 1A 2C and some restaurants will only let the party order one adult meal.

Since usually when anyone makes any statement on these forums that deal with ethics, etc. one is labled the Moral Policy or the Holier than Thou group, so I will refrain from judgement about the ethics or lack of in considering this.

Easy answer to your question: Call Disney and ask them if you can do this, and there will be your answer. And it will be No.

If you are renting points to stay at DVC and getting the Dining Plan under false pretense I would be cancelling your reservation. The member you rented from could be held responsible for your actions.

kaytieeldr said:

I don't thnk LetsBGoofy was seriously wanting to do this, it was sarcasm.

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I was hoping that the OP would realize by reading my post how putting a child that is not with you on a reservation to use their meal credits could get out of hand.

Hopefully the message has been delivered: Deception is not a defensible means of trying to save yourself some money.

I think we all agree what the OP is suggesting is wrong.

But, if we're talking about the Dining Plan, and not DDE (I can't tell which by the OP's post), I don't think you can get a meal with the dining plan without using all the credits you have for that meal. For instance, if you have 4 people you have credits for, then a table service meal would automatically take away 4 TS credits, even if only 3 people show up for the meal. I could be wrong in this, but I could have sworn that's the way the dining plan worked last fall for us.

OP: play it safe and right. Don't do it.

I wonder what happens if someone in your party ends up not coming and you've already paid for a package w/ dining and its too late to cancel that person? You could get non-expire tickets the person could use later, but the meals would be non-refundable?
BTW, we leave tomorrow and we are all going! But, I just wondered what Disney would do about this.

I don't think they would take away 4 credits automatically. What if the kids are in childcare( or with grandparents they are not rooming with) so the parents can go out, or mom and daughter are at CRT while the rest of the family is somewhere else?

Also, if you use a child's dp credit, the person using that credit must order off the children's menu. I know that much is true from last fall.

I think I'd feel a little silly going to the luau and having to order a grilled cheese sandwich or chicken fingers and a kid's soft drink. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter