Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7

Just need a reminder on how the Genie plus works. I know I can buy it the morning of my park day, but when can I book the LL rides through it? We are staying on property. Is it 7:00 a.m., and do we have to be inside the park to do so, or can it be done while we are in our resort room?

Also, can we purchase Genie plus AND book separate ILL at the same time?

TIA
Dee
Please read the posts on page 1 of this thread. It is a current list of all (and more) you will need to know about G+ and ILL$.

Parks do not open until after 7AM so you can still be tucked in bed while booking your first G+ attraction and ILL$.

I've seen this reported elsewhere and am just trying to confirm if this is true from anyone currently at WDW. When "modifying" was first introduced as an option, using the "modify" option did not reset your 2 hour cooldown timer. I am now hearing that Genie+ has been updated and modifying your most recent fastpass will reset your countdown timer at 2 hours (seriously hampering your ability to stack rides for later in the day). Can anyone confirm if this is true?
This is not being reported on any reliable sources that we can find. Please advise where you have 'seen this reported' if you feel we should look into it. Guests in the park now are not reporting this is happening. Nothing has changed that we've been advised of that will reset the clock when a LL is modified.

If we hear differently from a reliable source this thread will be updated.

This is not being reported on any reliable sources that we can find. Please advise where you have 'seen this reported' if you feel we should look into it. Guests in the park now are not reporting this is happening. Nothing has changed that we've been advised of that will reset the clock when a LL is modified.

If we hear differently from a reliable source this thread will be updated.
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ow-it-will-work.974530/page-940#post-10553219

Edit: To be clear, I have no idea if it is true or not, was just trying to confirm it from someone currently there since I've got a trip next week and want to be prepared. It should be easy enough to check if anyone currently there is reading this thread.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ow-it-will-work.974530/page-940#post-10553219

Edit: To be clear, I have no idea if it is true or not, was just trying to confirm it from someone currently there since I've got a trip next week and want to be prepared.
Sorry but that is not what we would consider to be a 'reliable source' as it's 'just' someone sharing what they think may have happened to them. We would not consider this post to be reliable enough to update our main thread as again, actual sources have not reported a change. I believe this is just someone who doesn't understand how the system works.

Nothing has changed re: modifying a LL. It does not reset the clock any differently than it did in the past.

Last edited:
Sorry but that is not what we would consider to be a 'reliable source' as it's 'just' someone sharing what they think may have happened to them. We would not consider this post to be reliable enough to update our main thread as again, actual sources have not reported a change. I believe this is just someone who doesn't understand how the system works.
I don't disagree that it's not a reliable source. Fortunately, it's easily falsifiable. I just asked the question in case anyone currently there wanted to check and report back because it would be a big change if true. If you don't want it discussed though, that's fine. I did not mean to imply that it is actually definitely happening.

This is exactly how Genie+ has worked since modifying was introduced. If a LL is being modified to a time that is immediate then yes, the 2 hour window is reset because the new LL is eligible to be used now, not in the future.
I'm sorry, you've lost me here. Currently a LL timer resets and you are eligible to make a new reservation when one of two preconditions is met:

1. You tap into a ride and this is the most recent lightning lane that you've made or;
2. It has been 2 hours since you've made the most recent lightning lane reservation and you haven't yet tapped into your most recent ride.

Previously, using the "Modify" option had no effect on either of these two preconditions. Even if you modified a reservation to a different time, your two hour countdown did not reset. That is what that user is indicating has changed. What am I missing?

Edit: To be clear, I think what that poster is describing is the opposite of what you are stating. He is using the strategy of grabbing whatever rides you can regardless of the time to start your stack, and then modifying them out to later times as later times become available. That is (at least has been) a good stacking strategy since "modifying" the times did not reset the counter. This poster seems to indicate that has now changed and a "modification" now counts the same way as grabbing a LL does to reset the counter out another two hours. This would destroy a lot of stacking strategies that rely on modifying ride times to later in the day.

I have updated my post to state remove the portion above. Nothing has changed re: LL reservations and the 120 min rule.

IF it changes in the future it will be posted all over reliable sources. Do not go by, 'this happened to me....' scenarios. Look at page 1 of this thread or, check reliable sources.

Using Genie+ is very confusing. I would not try to understand the system by listening to what someone experienced. It is too complex a program to do that. We all wish it wasn't that way but reality is, Genie+ is anything but easy to use and even more challenging to write about. That's why it took 4 of us to create the posts on page 1! :)

I'm sorry, you've lost me here. Currently a LL timer resets and you are eligible to make a new reservation when one of two preconditions is met:

1. You tap into a ride and this is the most recent lightning lane that you've made or;
2. It has been 2 hours since you've made the most recent lightning lane reservation and you haven't yet tapped into your most recent ride.

Previously, using the "Modify" option had no effect on either of these two preconditions. Even if you modified a reservation to a different time, your two hour countdown did not reset. That is what that user is indicating has changed. What am I missing?

Edit: To be clear, I think what that poster is describing is the opposite of what you are stating. He is using the strategy of grabbing whatever rides you can regardless of the time to start your stack, and then modifying them out to later times as later times become available. That is (at least has been) a good stacking strategy since "modifying" the times did not reset the counter. This poster seems to indicate that has now changed and a "modification" now counts the same way as grabbing a LL does to reset the counter out another two hours. This would destroy a lot of stacking strategies that rely on modifying ride times to later in the day.
You are eligible to make a new Genie+ LL reservation whenever one of the following four things occur (special rules apply if the ride goes "down"):

1. You tap into your most recent G+ LL reservation
2. You cancel your most-recent G+ LL reservation
3. Your most-recent G+ reservation expires
4. Two park hours (i.e. hours the park is open) pass since making your most-recent G+ LL reservation

MDE will show the "time" when you can make your next G+ LL reservation. That will be either the expiration time or the two-hour rule time, whichever is earlier. If it originally showed the expiration time and you modify the reservation, it will show a new time, an earlier or later expiration time, depending on whether you moved the reservation earlier or a little later, or the time that is two hours after the reservation was originally made. If MDE originally showed the two-hour rule time and you modify the G+ reservation so the expiration time is earlier than that two-hour time, it will now show the earlier expiration time. If it showed the two-hour rule time and you modify to another time subject to the two-hour rule, there will be no change.

Examples: DHS opens at 9:00. Pre-park opening, you make a G+ reservation for MFSR for 9:35-10:35. MDE will show you can make a new G+ reservation at 10:35. If you modify the reservation to 9:15-10:15, the time shown will change to 10:15 (the new expiration time). If you modify it to 10:10-11:10, the time will change to 11:00, which is two hours after park opening rather than to the expiration time of 11:10.

The notion that the time shown will not change if you modify your reservation is only true if both the old and new reservations are subject to the two-hour rule. That has been true since the ability to modify came into effect. Modifying your reservation from one time that was subject to the two-hour rule to another time that is subject to the two-hour rule does not change the time when you can make your next reservation. Example: At 7:00, you make a G+ reservation for MFSR for 11:30-12:30. You can make your next reservation at 11:00. At 10:05, you modify the return time to 2:00-3:00. You can still make your next reservation at 11:00. You do not have to wait until 12:05 (two hours after making the modification).

The above is how the rule has been since modifying G+ LL reservations began. It explains why the wdwmagic poster was confused when the time changed when he modified immediate return times to later times. If there have any recent changes, I am not aware of them.

Edit: The two-hour rule time does not change when you modify a G+ reservation. It is based on when you made the original reservation, not when you modified it. If MDE now shows a different time when you can next book, it is because you have switched from the expiration time to the two-hour time, or vice versa, or the expiration time has been changed.

1678989135799.png

Last edited:
You are eligible to make a new Genie+ LL reservation whenever one of the following four things occur (special rules apply if the ride goes "down"):

4. Two park hours (i.e. hours the park is open) pass since making your most-recent G+ LL reservation

MDE will show the "time" when you can make your next G+ LL reservation. That will be either the expiration time or the two-hour rule time, whichever is earlier. If it originally showed the expiration time and you modify the reservation, it will show a new time, an earlier or later expiration time, depending on whether you moved the reservation earlier or a little later, or the time that is two hours after the reservation was originally made. If MDE originally showed the two-hour rule time and you modify the G+ reservation so the expiration time is earlier than that two-hour time, it will now show the earlier expiration time. If it showed the two-hour rule time and you modify to another time subject to the two-hour rule, there will be no change.

Examples: DHS opens at 9:00. Pre-park opening, you make a G+ reservation for MFSR for 9:35-10:35. MDE will show you can make a new G+ reservation at 10:35. If you modify the reservation to 9:15-10:15, the time shown will change to 10:15 (the new expiration time). If you modify it to 10:10-11:10, the time will change to 11:00, which is two hours after park opening rather than to the expiration time of 11:10.

The notion that the time shown will not change if you modify your reservation is only true if both the old and new reservations are subject to the two-hour rule. That has been true since the ability to modify came into effect. Modifying your reservation from one time that was subject to the two-hour rule to another time that is subject to the two-hour rule does not change the time when you can make your next reservation. Example: At 7:00, you make a G+ reservation for MFSR for 11:30-12:30. You can make your next reservation at 11:00. At 10:05, you modify the return time to 2:00-3:00. You can still make your next reservation at 11:00. You do not have to wait until 12:05 (two hours after making the modification).

The above is how the rule has been since modifying G+ LL reservations began. It explains why the wdwmagic poster was confused when the time changed when he modified immediate return times to later times. If there have any recent changes, I am not aware of them.

Edit: The two-hour rule time does not change when you modify a G+ reservation. It is based on when you made the original reservation, not when you modified it. If MDE now shows a different time when you can next book, it is because you have switched from the expiration time to the two-hour time, or vice versa, or the expiration time has been changed.

View attachment 746760

This excellent post by @Tom_E_D has been added to page 1 to explain how modifying LL bookings fuctions.

Thank You! This does explain how the wdwmagic poster could perceive that the 2 hour countdown was resetting each time he modified when in fact it was not.

Please read the posts on page 1 of this thread. It is a current list of all (and more) you will need to know about G+ and ILL$.

Parks do not open until after 7AM so you can still be tucked in bed while booking your first G+ attraction and ILL$.
Thank you!!

Wait am I reading this right? Tron will have a soft open starting 03/20 and we can buy ILL for it?!?! OMG I’m so excited!!! Thank you HokieRaven!

I planned a last minute Birthday trip 03/25-3/28. I missed all the preview sign ups - I heard Tron was opening 04/04, but didn't hear beyond that. I wasn't paying attention because I resigned myself to being disappointed.

I focused on a couple Epcot park days to maximize time on Guardians, but I'm gonna try to rearrange my park reservations.

First I'm going to read Scott's posts on Twitter though.

ETA: there's one more tweet stating Tron will have VQ and ILL during soft open. Woohoo!!

2nd Edit: Modified my park reservations so 3 out of 4 days are at MK

Attachments

• 8A804EE6-3723-495D-BE27-D31DFE8F46E0.png
    8A804EE6-3723-495D-BE27-D31DFE8F46E0.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Wait am I reading this right? Tron will have a soft open starting 03/20 and we can buy ILL for it?!?! OMG I’m so excited!!!

I planned a last minute Birthday trip 03/25-3/28. I missed all the preview sign ups - I heard Tron was opening 04/04, but didn't hear beyond that. I wasn't paying attention because I resigned myself to being disappointed.

I focused on a couple Epcot park days to maximize time on Guardians, but I'm gonna try to rearrange my park reservations.

First I'm going to read Scott's posts on Twitter though.
Yes!! It was just announced this morning. A new thread has been created, dedicated to the TRON Soft Opening.

View attachment 746760
I've reread this two times now and I still don't think I get it and I've been using G+ for several trips now. Could you please give another example of switching from the 2-hour time to the expiration time? Maybe one that doesn't involve booking at 7 a.m.? Or is that the only instance when this modify-and-changing-times thing is in play?

And to think Disney sold this as a way for onetime guests have a level playing field with Disney veterans. I mean, this is only about 100x more complex and rule-heavy than FP or FP+ was.

I've reread this two times now and I still don't think I get it and I've been using G+ for several trips now. Could you please give another example of switching from the 2-hour time to the expiration time? Maybe one that doesn't involve booking at 7 a.m.? Or is that the only instance when this modify-and-changing-times thing is in play?

And to think Disney sold this as a way for onetime guests have a level playing field with Disney veterans. I mean, this is only about 100x more complex and rule-heavy than FP or FP+ was.
It certainly is confusing. How about this example: At 10:00, after tapping into your first G+ LL ride of the day, you book MFSR for 3:05-4:05. MDE will show you can next book at 12:00; that's the 2-hour time; it is earlier than the expiration time of 4:05. You then check the tip board again at 10:15 and see there is an MFSR reservation available for 10:50-11:50. You grab it. Your 2-hour time is still 12:00 (not 12:15), but now your expiration time is 11:50, so MDE will show you can book your next G+ LL at 11:50, the earlier time. There is always an expiration time and a 2-hour time. MDE will always show you can book your next G+ LL at the earlier of those two times. The expiration time will change every time you modify your reservation (unless you modify to a different ride with the exact same return time). The 2-hour time does not change when you modify your reservation. It is based on when you made the original reservation, not when you modified it.

I will add a caveat. You can only modify your reservation to the same or another ride in the same park. To switch to a ride in another park, you have to cancel and book a new reservation. Doing that does change your 2-hour time.

Edit: In the example above, if you tap into MFSR before 11:50, MDE then will show you can book your next G+ LL "now," (assuming that was your most-recently-book G+ LL, which it would be in this example).

Last edited:
We were at the parks in early March, and utilized modify a lot - and it worked great for our plans. It did not reset the 'next available' timer, so we would often grab the attraction in the park as soon as we were eligible, and then would modify until we got to the time frame we wanted. But by grabbing the LL reservation ASAP, it started our 2-hr clock as soon as we could. Through the modify approach, and our plans for mostly afternoon/evenings at the parks, we were able to get quite a few of our choices reserved via LL. The more we use G+, the more comfortable we're getting - and the more we find that we actually like it (aside from the unnecessary extra cost, of course).

It certainly is confusing. How about this example: At 10:00, after tapping into your first G+ LL ride of the day, you book MFSR for 3:05-4:05. MDE will show you can next book at 12:00; that's the 2-hour time; it is earlier than the expiration time of 4:05. You then check the tip board again at 10:15 and see there is an MFSR reservation available for 10:50-11:50. You grab it. Your 2-hour time is still 12:00 (not 12:15), but now your expiration time is 11:50, so MDE will show you can book your next G+ LL at 11:50, the earlier time. There is always an expiration time and a 2-hour time. MDE will always show you can book your next G+ LL at the earlier of those two times. The expiration time will change every time you modify your reservation (unless you modify to a different ride with the exact same return time). The 2-hour time does not change when you modify your reservation. It is based on when you made the original reservation, not when you modified it.

I will add a caveat. You can only modify your reservation to the same or another ride in the same park. To switch to a ride in another park, you have to cancel and book a new reservation. Doing that does change your 2-hour time.

Edit: In the example above, if you tap into MFSR before 11:50, MDE then will show you can book your next G+ LL "now," (assuming that was your most-recently-book G+ LL, which it would be in this example).
@Tom_E_D: Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this. I'm pretty sure I get it now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter