Food delivery tipping

oh, and since people are talking about salon services... unlike waiters, your stylist doens't "tip out" to others - so if your stylist has some one else shampoo you, you should give them a couple dollars and adjust the stylists tip accordingly.

If you had said “I don’t tip on percentages of the cost for salon services,” that would be fine, but when you say “you don’t tip on percentages of the cost for salon services,” you are stating that’s not proper. The majority of people DO tip on percentages, just do a google search. You want to overtip, knock yourself out. I agree, when the price for services is low ($10 manicure, $8 lunch special), the percentage should be more than 20%. I’ve seen many online discussions where some people think it’s crazy to tip 20% on an expensive salon service.
For pete's sake you go have fun with your dissecting of my words. You knew what I was talking about especially if you saw my previous comments. If you were really looking for clarification of what I mean you could have simply asked me: I'm having trouble understanding what you are meaning can you explain more/clarify?". All you were attempting to do was insult me especially with your "I get it that your salon costs are low, so YOU don’t think of it as a percentage, but in reality, it is." comment.

Besides that I never did say what I was doing was the only way to do things--that is something you were doing. The original comment stemmed from the poster saying "In the US, the tip is a percentage of that very thing."

My very next comment was: "What I was saying is that I'm not tipping 15% of $750 for pizza delivery. That would be $112.50. I don't tip lower than 15% for restaurants. I was meaning I would be looking at how many pizza boxes they are delivering and adjust my tip accordingly. That's why I put $20 or $40.

It's sorta strange that you keep mentioning "in the U.S. the tip is a percentage" etc. I'm in the U.S. I get the tipping culture. But the tipping culture varies for certain things. It just does. You would think I was cheap if you delivered my Jimmy Johns order and gave you $1 but according to your viewpoint that's exactly what I should have done. I have never honestly personally met someone who used a percentage 15%,20%, etc for delivery. They don't think that way when it comes to delivery. Though this is my experience of course.

This is also the same as how I tip the person who cuts my hair. If the hair cut costs $14 I don't tip $2.10 because that equates to 15% of the bill. Instead I usually tip $4-$5 depending on the experience. Again I'm not thinking in terms of percentage.

I don't tip the valet driver just over $0.13 for a $2.00 valet charge as that represents 15% of the valet charge. I tip $2-$3 for a valet charge that low. Again not thinking in percentages."

The previous poster made a generalized comment that tip is a percentage of the cost. I countered that by stating that's not how everything is done-it varies. That doesn't mean that you personally mjkacmom don't tip 20% at the salon if you want to-hey you do you that's fine. But it isn't the only way of doing something. Some of us don't tip off total cost of the services, some of us don't tip 15-20% of the total cost of the services. *Gasp* some people do it another way. Either way is fine but you have in the past told people or alluded what they do is wrong and the way you do or the way you know is the only right way to do something. I don't care that you tip 20% and call it good but don't talk down to me just because I choose to tip whole dollar amounts that end up being more than your set 20% that you choose to tip. Either way is fine;neither way is wrong.

That doesn't quite line up with what you said earlier on when you quoted something you found online about all of the kitchen staff duties the delivery driver purported to perform and you said was therefore deserving of a tip. When I questioned how a dine in customer should intuit that a tip should include an amount sufficient for several back of house employees you said that customers simply didn't realize that was already happening with their tips. Your comments seem to be taking slices from both ends of the loaf.
When I refer to kitchen staff, I'm talking about the line cooks and chefs specifically. The ones whose primary jobs are cooking. Those people have never been included in the tip pool in any place I've ever worked, and as they aren't regularly interacting with customers, a restaurant owner here in the U.S. would be pushing the bounds of legality to include them in the split. Not to say it doesn't happen, because pushing the bounds of legality is something the restaurant industry excels at. :rolleyes: There are also legal issues with managers including themselves in the splitting of tips, but it's not uncommon for that to happen anyway.

The people whom I was referring to in my earlier comment to you was the "back-of-the-house" employees -- bussers, barbacks, food runners, etc. Those people are regularly part of the tip pool because, since their job duties do require them to regularly come to the front of the house where they're visible to customers, employers can consider them as having regular customer interaction and apply the tip credit to them. (Tip Credit is the term for being able to legally pay someone less than minimum wage with the assumption that their tips will make up for the rest.)

Regarding the article I linked, I remember the guy saying something about proofing dough (and maybe a couple of other food related tasks) but he also listed washing windows, taking out trash, assembling boxes, etc. The point of that was to show that a driver does more than just drive pizza around and walk it to your door.* That some of his duties are kitchen related is not surprising, there's a lot of overlap among job positions in a restaurant, but I don't recall him saying he was primarily responsible for making the pizza. I assumed there was a separate staff for that, and it's likely those people make minimum wage or more and are probably not included in the tip pool. The two employees working the counter, the one who answered the phone, the six other drivers on shift that night... It's quite possible they are all sharing in on the tip you give to the guy who brings your pizza.

*Should it be a customer's responsibility to help compensate an employee for all the work he does behind the scenes above and beyond delivering the pizza? No, the employer should be responsible for paying the employee. But, since restaurant employers are not legally required to pay a living wage, personally, I do take into account the work that happened behind the scenes when I tip. No one's required to do that, though, and may choose to only tip based on the effort it took to walk the food to the door. That's fine too.

I'm afraid to post a tipping thread here on the dis, but I want some anonymous opinions.

We're getting a food delivery that will cost ~$750. It's pure fast food delivery - think like pizza. No set up or individual servings or anything like that.
What's an appropriate tip?

Must be a great pizza for $750!!

My workplace gets things like this delivered all the time from a pizza place that is 5 blocks away. It takes less than 10 minutes to bring them all inside the door. $25-30 is the standard tip for this.

My workplace gets things like this delivered all the time from a pizza place that is 5 blocks away. It takes less than 10 minutes to bring them all inside the door. $25-30 is the standard tip for this.
that a pretty horrible tip. That less then 10% There a lot more that goes into just bringing to you. There boxing it all up making sure the order correct, making sure you have the correct condiments the correct silverware. loading into the car. There a lot of work to make it appear at your office.

Last edited:
that a pretty horrible tip. That less then 10% There a lot more that goes into just bringing to you. There boxing it all up making sure the order correct, making sure you have the correct condiments the correct silverware. loading into the car. There a lot of work to make it appear at your office.

Seriously? It's certainly not taking even an hour to do that, and $25-30 for an hours work is a pretty damn good wage and certainly a lot more than many people earn.

Seriously? It's certainly not taking even an hour to do that, and $25-30 for an hours work is a pretty damn good wage and certainly a lot more than many people earn.

Exactly!!! The $750 they are paying for the food is paying the wages for someone to pack it all up. It isn't like someone is not being paid for pack up all that food as part of their regular pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter