From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning, happy Cruisers!

16 degrees F here, this morning. I won't complain though - at least we don't have any snow!

My 12yr old DD is now wearing size 10 shoes .... My only question is where do I get her shoes next .... I know she's not through growing, but I only see shoes going up to a size 10 ..... (I have never dreamed this would be a concern of mine, as I wear a 5!) ... :confused3

Zappos.com

The vow renewal lady said she would "confirm" everything 45days prior to our sailing. However, I still haven't heard from her ... grrrrrr .....
Meanwhile, I wanted to confirm the guest list. I have:

1 me Mavis Renee
2 Hubby Stephen Bailow
3 DD Nicole
4 DD Courtney
5 Jill B
6 Danny B
7 David M
8 Teresa A
9 David L
10 Gail L
11 Lynne Z
12 Leonard Z
13 Charlotte G
14 John B
15 Melissa S
16 Mikayla S
17 Tenya T
18 Carly T
19 Linda (need last name and conf number)
20 Eilena (need last name and conf number)

Please let me know if this is not correct ... Thanks :hippie:

Info in your mailbox

Too funny you said that ... I told hubby we would have to find a drag-queen store to get her shoes ... :rotfl2:

I found one of those on line when I was looking for wide shoes:rotfl2: They had the cutest shoes EVER!

Hi! Just came across this thread. Sending our info to Jeff soon. We'll be with you on this cruise. Deck 2 midship.

Looks like all we can still get in on is the FE exchange.

We are really looking forward to it! We need a break from this early winter in the South and have wanted to do a DCL PC crossing for a long time.

I'll never catch up on 4 whole threads, so if I need to share anything specific or post anything else, just let me know. :confused3

Thanks!!

Page 1 posts 1 & 2

Happy Day, everyone!

Good morning all! We are just doing the final checks and then we'll be loading the car up and heading off to the airport. Thank you for the well wishes. We will need it for the very long journey ahead.

We will be in the states very soon and hope to see some of you shortly!

Safe travels! Your 'sitter' will be worn out when you get here.

The vow renewal lady said she would "confirm" everything 45days prior to our sailing. However, I still haven't heard from her ... grrrrrr .....
Meanwhile, I wanted to confirm the guest list. I have:

1 me Mavis Renee
2 Hubby Stephen Bailow
3 DD Nicole
4 DD Courtney
5 Jill B
6 Danny B
7 David M
8 Teresa A
9 David L
10 Gail L
11 Lynne Z
12 Leonard Z
13 Charlotte G
14 John B
15 Melissa S
16 Mikayla S
17 Tenya T
18 Carly T
19 Linda (need last name and conf number)
20 Eilena (need last name and conf number)

Please let me know if this is not correct ... Thanks :hippie:

So looking forward to this!

Hi! Just came across this thread. Sending our info to Jeff soon. We'll be with you on this cruise. Deck 2 midship.

Looks like all we can still get in on is the FE exchange.

We are really looking forward to it! We need a break from this early winter in the South and have wanted to do a DCL PC crossing for a long time.

I'll never catch up on 4 whole threads, so if I need to share anything specific or post anything else, just let me know. :confused3

Thanks!!

:welcome: Happy to have you joining us. If you have questions, ask away. It is especially nice that we have a few veteran PC cruisers.

Well, suuny day, no new snow, driving this morning was a treat as the roads were bare. Just loved it. Now they are talking freezing rain -give me a foot of snow!

12 days for me! Can't wait. Hopefully Florida will warm up some before we get there.

Sour Cream Fruitcake

use dried fruits not candied ones

1 cup dried pineapple, diced
1 cup dried cherries (sour or sweet) (I used marichino cherries)
1 cup dried apricots, diced
1 cup dried mixed berries (strawberries, blackberries, cranberries, etc)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup bandy or rum for soaking fruits (I use coconut flavored rum)
1 cup vegetable shortening (I use 1/2 cup real butter, 1/2 cup short.)
2 cups sugar (I use 1 cup each of white and brown)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 large eggs
1/4 cup brandy or rum to add to the cake batter
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sour cream
2 cups nuts chopped (your choice, walnuts, pecans)

In a medium sized mixing bowl stir together the dried fruits and 1/2 cup brandy or rum. Set the fruit aside for at least 2 hrs. (I usually soak it for a couple of days and keep adding rum as necessary). Stir occasionally so the fruit absorbs the liquor evenly.

In a large mixing bowl beat together the shortening, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until fuffy after each addition. Beat in the brandy or rum.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Add half the flour to the shortening mixture and beat well. Add the sour cream, beating all the time, then the remaining flour. Beat well, be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl occaisionally to be sure all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Stir in the fruits and nuts (if they havent absorbed all the liquid just add to the batter).

Spoon batter into three well greased and floured (I use parchment paper) 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pans. Bake the cakes in a preheated 325F oven for 55-65 minutes or until they are golden and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Remove them from the pans and wrap immediately in plastic wrap. (This keeps the moisture from evaporating out) If making well in advance brush them with brandy or rum frequently. Store at room temperature. If desired sprinkle with glazing sugar or frost with your choice of icing.

If you choose to use a different pan do not fill more than 3/4 full.

Couple of people wanted this recipe. And I think Corinna couldnt find it on the website, so here it is, enjoy.

Sour Cream Fruitcake

1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 large eggs
3 cups flour
2 cups sour cream

In a medium sized mixing bowl stir together the dried fruits and 1/2 cup brandy or rum. Set the fruit aside for at least 2 hrs. (I usually soak it for a couple of days and keep adding rum as necessary). Stir occasionally so the fruit absorbs the liquor evenly.

In a large mixing bowl beat together the shortening, sugar, salt and nutmeg. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until fuffy after each addition. Beat in the brandy or rum.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and baking powder. Add half the flour to the shortening mixture and beat well. Add the sour cream, beating all the time, then the remaining flour. Beat well, be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl occaisionally to be sure all ingredients are evenly incorporated. Stir in the fruits and nuts (if they havent absorbed all the liquid just add to the batter).

Spoon batter into three well greased and floured (I use parchment paper) 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pans. Bake the cakes in a preheated 325F oven for 55-65 minutes or until they are golden and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in pan for 5-10 minutes. Remove them from the pans and wrap immediately in plastic wrap. (This keeps the moisture from evaporating out) If making well in advance brush them with brandy or rum frequently. Store at room temperature. If desired sprinkle with glazing sugar or frost with your choice of icing.

Couple of people wanted this recipe. And I think Corinna couldnt find it on the website, so here it is, enjoy.

I tried this recipe yesterday. The cake is very soft, not dense like some cakes. I used a clear rum so the cake was very white. Pretty with the fruit. I agree I would not use the shortening but use butter if I made it again. Tami, is your cake very crumbly, like a cake? That was my only concern with this recipe. I put a royal icing on it. val

I tried this recipe yesterday. The cake is very soft, not dense like some cakes. I used a clear rum so the cake was very white. Pretty with the fruit. I agree I would not use the shortening but use butter if I made it again. Tami, is your cake very crumbly, like a cake? That was my only concern with this recipe. I put a royal icing on it. val

It was crumbly when I cut it while its hot. After that we usually cut slabs instead of thin slices so we dont get a crumble. It's great warmed in the microwave with butter or a rum sauce. Ooooo I might have to make another one!

Got our bracelets yesterday! Thank you, they are cute. Can you believe that I have everything but our hair and tooth brushes packed. I am overly excited. Not sleeping well lately, too excited to sleep.

Robert and I go to second hand stores and what they all "vintage" stores. He collects Hawiian shirts. Yesterday he found a like new, blue batik, Liberty House shirt from the 50's or 60's, made in Hawaii with King Kamahama stamped buttons. It was $2.00 - woo who

While he looks for these I get books and then look at the glasswear and through the ladies clothes. I don't know why, but the Goodwill on Haight Street gets all kinds of brand new clothes with the tags still on. I got my sister two fancy tops to wear on formal night on a cruise she just came home from. One was from Nordstrom the other Clearwater Creek, both still had tags on them, long sleeves and less then $5.

I have picked up so many fancy tops, with sequins and beads, Bob says "another one" (we won't mention he has over 100 hawaiian shirts) but he is right, I'll never wear all of them. So, if anyone wants me to look for tops for them, let me know. I passed up a little cover the other day, made of black knit type material, with silver decoration, elbow length sleeves and one small button at the top. It would have been good with a sleeves formal dress.

Here are a couple of pictures of tops I recently picked up. I would wear them with a long black velvet skirt or black pants.

5247269926_8ea56a4ffc_m.jpg

this is my favorite of the 4, black irredescent sequince

5247269538_7eb5d8ac3f_m.jpg

all sequince
5247269178_38c22393b5_m.jpg

These are all hand sewed seed pearls
5246667221_7d93ee53fc_m.jpg

small blue sequince covered

Finally have some solid info on our dive excursion in Aruba. We still have a few spots open if anyone wants to join us. PM me if you are interested. We are still waiting on the info for Manzanillo. Here is the info on Aruba diving.

We will be diving with Jads Dive Center

The price is $94 which includes pickup and return to the ship

Rental for BCD & regulator is $26, wetsuit is $13

We will be diving the wreck "Jane sea": Jane Sea has a maximum diving depth of around 27.7 m / 90.9 ft and is suitable for all divers. This gargantuan two hundred and fifty foot wreck rests in ninety feet of water. This former concrete freighter sits upright facing a gorgeous coral reef. You will enjoy exploring the massive cargo holds. There are many brilliantly colored tropical fish schooling near this wreck. Be on the lookout for the beautiful Angelfish that inhabit this area. Barracudas lurk about, waiting to snag an unsuspecting smaller fish. Marine Turtles and Manta Rays may also be seen near this wreck. http://www.surfacewatch.com/divesites/caribbean/aruba/jane-sea.html

Barcadera: Barcadera Reef has a maximum diving depth of around 15.2 m / 49.9 ft and is suitable for all divers. From brain corals to parrot fish, Barcadera Reef is a beautiful underwater paradise appealing to both divers and snorkelers. The reef varies in depth from 6-27 meters (20-89 feet), and fans of underwater life will surely enjoy the rich marine life that's visible here. From the sandy sea floor up to the surface, you'll find a spectacular show of species from wrasses, scorpionfish, damselfish, and pink-tipped anemones to name a few. The reef is busy with life and is densely filled with activity around the various number of large corals that grow and live here. http://www.surfacewatch.com/divesites/caribbean/aruba/barcadera-reef.html

Finally have some solid info on our dive excursion in Aruba. We still have a few spots open if anyone wants to join us. PM me if you are interested. We are still waiting on the info for Manzanillo. Here is the info on Aruba diving.

We will be diving with Jads Dive Center

The price is $94 which includes pickup and return to the ship

Rental for BCD & regulator is $26, wetsuit is $13

We will be diving the wreck "Jane sea": Jane Sea has a maximum diving depth of around 27.7 m / 90.9 ft and is suitable for all divers. This gargantuan two hundred and fifty foot wreck rests in ninety feet of water. This former concrete freighter sits upright facing a gorgeous coral reef. You will enjoy exploring the massive cargo holds. There are many brilliantly colored tropical fish schooling near this wreck. Be on the lookout for the beautiful Angelfish that inhabit this area. Barracudas lurk about, waiting to snag an unsuspecting smaller fish. Marine Turtles and Manta Rays may also be seen near this wreck. http://www.surfacewatch.com/divesites/caribbean/aruba/jane-sea.html

Barcadera: Barcadera Reef has a maximum diving depth of around 15.2 m / 49.9 ft and is suitable for all divers. From brain corals to parrot fish, Barcadera Reef is a beautiful underwater paradise appealing to both divers and snorkelers. The reef varies in depth from 6-27 meters (20-89 feet), and fans of underwater life will surely enjoy the rich marine life that's visible here. From the sandy sea floor up to the surface, you'll find a spectacular show of species from wrasses, scorpionfish, damselfish, and pink-tipped anemones to name a few. The reef is busy with life and is densely filled with activity around the various number of large corals that grow and live here. http://www.surfacewatch.com/divesites/caribbean/aruba/barcadera-reef.html

I put your activity on page 1 - does one need to be certified to do this activity?

Val, those tops are GORGEOUS! I want to come shopping with YOU!

Hey Corinna, I'm a bit worried about your Panama Canal countdown ticker. I see snow on those mountains. I sooooooo hope we won't be seeing any of that!!!!!!

I had not even spotted this. They kept blocking my tickers so in the end I just went with their own. I agree that I hope that the only white we will see is sand on the beach.

Guess what...

:sail:just 4 weeks to go::sail:

Lets get this party started!
:dancer::dance3::dancer::dance3::dancer:
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I cannot believe how close this is getting.

Sour Cream Fruitcake

1 cup raisins
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
4 large eggs
3 cups flour
2 cups sour cream

Thanks for that. I love the sound of this. I will have two days off midweek next week and might just have to try making this.

Robert and I go to second hand stores and what they all "vintage" stores. He collects Hawiian shirts. Yesterday he found a like new, blue batik, Liberty House shirt from the 50's or 60's, made in Hawaii with King Kamahama stamped buttons. It was $2.00 - woo who

While he looks for these I get books and then look at the glasswear and through the ladies clothes. I don't know why, but the Goodwill on Haight Street gets all kinds of brand new clothes with the tags still on. I got my sister two fancy tops to wear on formal night on a cruise she just came home from. One was from Nordstrom the other Clearwater Creek, both still had tags on them, long sleeves and less then $5.

I have picked up so many fancy tops, with sequins and beads, Bob says "another one" (we won't mention he has over 100 hawaiian shirts) but he is right, I'll never wear all of them. So, if anyone wants me to look for tops for them, let me know. I passed up a little cover the other day, made of black knit type material, with silver decoration, elbow length sleeves and one small button at the top. It would have been good with a sleeves formal dress.

Here are a couple of pictures of tops I recently picked up. I would wear them with a long black velvet skirt or black pants.

5247269926_8ea56a4ffc_m.jpg

this is my favorite of the 4, black irredescent sequince

5247269538_7eb5d8ac3f_m.jpg

all sequince
5247269178_38c22393b5_m.jpg

These are all hand sewed seed pearls
5246667221_7d93ee53fc_m.jpg

small blue sequince covered

I love your tops.

have had a hectic few weeks. We had a new communications and phone system installed over the weekend and that meant that I actually did some overtime for the first time in about 6 months. Still, this will go straight into my Dooney and Bourke fund. I want to get the Tassle Bag and hopefully one of the coloured wristlets.

On Monday, I had a bit of an adventure. Normally I car share with one of my colleagues as I do not drive. He was on vacation so I had to get the train to get to and from work. When I got to the train station after work, the train that I would normally get was delayed by about 30 minutes. As this is a long distance train and we still had some severe weather on that route, I decided that I would not chance this and took a slow train that I normally avoid at all cost. This was a serious error of judgment. The train left and seconds into the journey there was a loud bang and a lot of sparks. The train kept on moving for a bit and then stopped. By then we were in the middle of nowhere so we could not get off the train. The staff on the train moved all of us into one carriage as they were worried that the lights would go out. In the end, the emergency lights fortunately stayed on. In the end, we were stuck in that train for about 3 hours. The heating was not working and it was 16 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius) in the train. After about 90 minutes, we were told that a train going the other way would turn around at the next station and push the train we were on to a station were we could get onwards transportation. That train went past us shortly afterwards, but still had not come back an hour later. We then found out that the train could not get to the station were it was supposed to turn round. When we had that loud bang, one of the metal parts that come up from the train and connect with the power lines had actually come off and was still hanging from the power lines. We also had torn the power lines on two different tracks and over a distance of a bout 100 yards. I know there was a big jolt when the explosion first happened, but apparently the train briefly went to the adjacent track before returning to the right track. In the end, they backed the other train that was supposed to push us down the up track. Once the train was alongside us, we then got onto that train which backed up to the next station where the train company then organized taxis for us to take us to our respective destinations. I finally got home at 1 AM, frozen stiff, but otherwise unharmed. There were 5 other people on the train and I was chatting with 3 of them while we were stranded. They were fascinating people. I just wish I had met them under other circumstances.

Yesterday, I had my team night out. I have been in charge of this team now for 2.5 years and there was never any interest in any of the team nights out that I had tried to organize. At some stage, I gave up trying to organize them. In my latest appraisal this was brought up and it was agreed that I would organize another team night out and would invite my line manager. We have a German Christmas market in the city where I live and as all the people in my team are German speakers, I proposed that we go to the Christmas market. About half of the team had said they would come and I was rather looking forward to this. In the end, three of us turned up: one team member, my line manager and I. I think he has learned his lesson now. We still had a good time. We started out at the Christmas market and then walked into the city centre for some drinks at a nice pub as it was pretty cold.

Tomorrow we will have our annual company Christmas Ball. I am really looking forward to this. Last year it was cancelled because of the economic situation, but this year it is going ahead and at a new venue, too. This is a welcome opportunity to dress up. This will be my first chance to wear the new dress that I bought for semi-formal night. One of my team members is a keen photographer so I will probably have a photo to post next week.

Corinna

Jewellery Making Workshops

All of those that have previously signed for the jewellery workshops should now have received a PM with instructions on how to pay. I have so far received the payment for three people. Thanks to those of you who have paid me already. If you have not done so already, can you please pay me by lunchtime on Sunday? I will place the order when I get home from work on Sunday.

If there are still people who are interested in joining one of the workshops, please let me know as soon as possible as I need to order enough materials for everybody.

Corinna

Hi Folks,

I'm going to have to make my apologies in advance, I'm afraid. We have two weeks to the day before we leave, and I still have a shed load of things to do before then. I'll be lucky to post once every few days, and will probably not be able to keep up with posts.

I'm rather a stress ball at the moment !

Also still waiting to hear back from DU about the dining link for main dining. I hope it goes through. If I don't hear anything in the next two days, I'll contact DCL direct.

Wish I could enjoy these two weeks a little more, rather than having so much to do. I can tell you, the minute I walk into that airport hotel on the 24th, I'm having a stiff drink (or two, or three !), then parking my backside alongside the pool !

Sorry for the "me" posts of late - I so can't wait to meet you all on the cruise ! :cloud9:

Cheers,
Sally :)

On Monday, I had a bit of an adventure. Normally I car share with one of my colleagues as I do not drive. He was on vacation so I had to get the train to get to and from work. When I got to the train station after work, the train that I would normally get was delayed by about 30 minutes. As this is a long distance train and we still had some severe weather on that route, I decided that I would not chance this and took a slow train that I normally avoid at all cost. This was a serious error of judgment. The train left and seconds into the journey there was a loud bang and a lot of sparks. The train kept on moving for a bit and then stopped. By then we were in the middle of nowhere so we could not get off the train. The staff on the train moved all of us into one carriage as they were worried that the lights would go out. In the end, the emergency lights fortunately stayed on. In the end, we were stuck in that train for about 3 hours. The heating was not working and it was 16 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius) in the train. After about 90 minutes, we were told that a train going the other way would turn around at the next station and push the train we were on to a station were we could get onwards transportation. That train went past us shortly afterwards, but still had not come back an hour later. We then found out that the train could not get to the station were it was supposed to turn round. When we had that loud bang, one of the metal parts that come up from the train and connect with the power lines had actually come off and was still hanging from the power lines. We also had torn the power lines on two different tracks and over a distance of a bout 100 yards. I know there was a big jolt when the explosion first happened, but apparently the train briefly went to the adjacent track before returning to the right track. In the end, they backed the other train that was supposed to push us down the up track. Once the train was alongside us, we then got onto that train which backed up to the next station where the train company then organized taxis for us to take us to our respective destinations. I finally got home at 1 AM, frozen stiff, but otherwise unharmed. There were 5 other people on the train and I was chatting with 3 of them while we were stranded. They were fascinating people. I just wish I had met them under other circumstances.

Corinna

GOOD GRIEF! IF EVER there was a reason for going in late the next day, YOU have it!

Hi Folks,

I'm going to have to make my apologies in advance, I'm afraid. We have two weeks to the day before we leave, and I still have a shed load of things to do before then. I'll be lucky to post once every few days, and will probably not be able to keep up with posts.

I'm rather a stress ball at the moment !

Also still waiting to hear back from DU about the dining link for main dining. I hope it goes through. If I don't hear anything in the next two days, I'll contact DCL direct.

Wish I could enjoy these two weeks a little more, rather than having so much to do. I can tell you, the minute I walk into that airport hotel on the 24th, I'm having a stiff drink (or two, or three !), then parking my backside alongside the pool !

Sorry for the "me" posts of late - I so can't wait to meet you all on the cruise ! :cloud9:

Cheers,
Sally :)

Oh, Sally, I wish there was some way I could help you out!

All my pre-cruise planning is done, I'm mostly packed, and Christmas is all ready except for the last minute stuff. I'm BORED.

September 7 my family had to pull the plug on this cruise, but I kept an outside hope of getting on the boat:wizard:, so I kept reading this thread. Well my little row boat caught a few openings and I am hoisting myself and the family back on this boat. Someone throw us a towel!! So we have 28 days to do Christmas, celebrate the DD 11th birthday, pack and get on the Wonder. Plenty of time:hourglass

September 7 my family had to pull the plug on this cruise, but I kept an outside hope of getting on the boat:wizard:, so I kept reading this thread. Well my little row boat caught a few openings and I am hoisting myself and the family back on this boat. Someone throw us a towel!! So we have 28 days to do Christmas, celebrate the DD 11th birthday, pack and get on the Wonder. Plenty of time:hourglass

:dance3: How FABULOUS IS THAT?! :dance3: Welcome back aboard! Now, hurry up and pm your info to TigfanJeff! (And, TxMermaid1 has an excursion on page 1 in post 1 that might interest you.)

I put your activity on page 1 - does one need to be certified to do this activity?

Val, those tops are GORGEOUS! I want to come shopping with YOU!

Thank you Linda. Yes you must be a certified diver to do this excursion. My DH and I are both instructors so if someone is new they can feel comfortable diving with us. I know the DLC scuba spots are full so this is a good way for those who want to go diving to do so.

Val, Love the tops. I just got back from a big Macy's sale. Scored a couple dresses and some tops. I went thrift store hopping yesterday but didn't find anything.

Can't wait to get on that ship!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter