From WDW to DL With Love - January 06, 2011 part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So its been a weird week, terrible news my dear neices bf dads died, massive heart attack, only 32, its so so sad, I dont know but feel bad for the kid, I spoke to her last night, shes ok, but at 14 makes me feel greedy for all the stuff I still want to do with my dad!
Finaly got to the gym, then I had to dog the drive out, its a big drive, now I cant stand up, ..who cares, nothing compared to what poor M's going through.
Then the electric went of all day, thats just getting boring now.
I till have not done last nights dishes, I need such a hard foot up the butt, I cant decide whether to do them or open a bottle of wine, ho hum.
Poor Len has the cold , I had a teeible cold but shhok it in a week, 3 weeks and he still has it, Im worried about him, going to make sure he goes to the drs on monday, I cant help but mother him even though he is wa older than me,
anyway shaunie and friend should be here soon and we will finnaly go to see HP, go for food first, should be cheap they alway want macdonalds(yuk)
Orly is in the bad books, He stole the dinner last night and today he got his advent calender and ate all the days out it, hes so naughty...:rolleyes1

Ok I am with Emum today - so I am going to whine - thanks for listening.

Stressed out and anxious.
DDs bday is the 24th - no plans yet for a birthday party.
New house is finished but we cannot move in because inspector doesn't understand new fire regs with regards to new required roofing designs so he is conferencing with other parties and won't sign off.:mad:
haven't decorated for xmas in this apartment - don't want to decorate twice and move a tree - so haven''t started as we want to move into our new home. haven't wrapped anything.
cruise pile is taking up valuable square footage in already cramped 1000 sq ft.
new furniture is being delivered and piled into MILs shop building.
not packed for cruise

And to top it off - cruise docs are missing. DCL says they were mailed 11/24. To our new house. where nobody lives. I had verified with TA they were being sent to PO Box. But they sent to new house address. $50 to reissue. and they won't guarantee they will get here in time. Getting the docs is part of the fun. I know I don't actually need them since everything is online - but I wanted my docs!! I want to cry right now. Can one thing just go smoothly??

I cannot wait to sit on my verandah with a cold adult beverage in my hand and watch the ocean slide by.

Hope I survive until then!!

OK thanks for letting me vent. Off I go to pay my property taxes.:lmao:

50 bucks!!!!! come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!! you could buy ten bottles of wine for that, forget it.... you will be on the ship shortly, try to be cool:thumbsup2

New house is finished but we cannot move in because inspector doesn't understand new fire regs with regards to new required roofing designs so he is conferencing with other parties and won't sign off.:mad:
haven't decorated for xmas in this apartment - don't want to decorate twice and move a tree - so haven''t started as we want to move into our new home. haven't wrapped anything.
not packed for cruise

And to top it off - cruise docs are missing. DCL says they were mailed 11/24. To our new house. where nobody lives. I had verified with TA they were being sent to PO Box. But they sent to new house address. $50 to reissue. and they won't guarantee they will get here in time. Getting the docs is part of the fun. I know I don't actually need them since everything is online - but I wanted my docs!! I want to cry right now. Can one thing just go smoothly??

I cannot wait to sit on my verandah with a cold adult beverage in my hand and watch the ocean slide by.

:hug:pixiedust:pixiedust:. Soon you will be :dance3::drinking1 and having a grand time. I will tell you in regards to documents that when I asked about mine, they told me they were mailed 11/24 but when the arrived, the envelope was postmarked 12/01. And, you are right, they are not required to board but they are part of the excitement building which we all look forward to. Can you begin your cruise packing? That can be tricky unless you keep really good track of what you have packed - been there, done that. Makes it hard when you have to pack before you can pack. It will all work out, it always does somehow or other.

Thanks gang. I know. It will all work out. And my problems are minor compared to some others face.

Lynne - I think wine just may be the answer.:thumbsup2I am with you on that one - or I will be. It's only 10 a.m. here.:)

Going to fondle cousin's docs today.!! :lmao:

So its been a weird week, terrible news my dear neices bf dads died, massive heart attack, only 32, its so so sad, I dont know but feel bad for the kid, I spoke to her last night, shes ok, but at 14 makes me feel greedy for all the stuff I still want to do with my dad!
Finaly got to the gym, then I had to dog the drive out, its a big drive, now I cant stand up, ..who cares, nothing compared to what poor M's going through.
I till have not done last nights dishes, I need such a hard foot up the butt, I cant decide whether to do them or open a bottle of wine, ho hum.
Poor Len has the cold , I had a teeible cold but shhok it in a week, 3 weeks and he still has it, Im worried about him, going to make sure he goes to the drs on monday, I cant help but mother him even though he is wa older than me,
anyway shaunie and friend should be here soon and we will finnaly go to see HP, go for food first, should be cheap they alway want macdonalds(yuk)
Orly is in the bad books, He stole the dinner last night and today he got his advent calender and ate all the days out it, hes so naughty...:rolleyes1

How awful about your nieces friend's dad. That is just too young to die and so very sad.
I would open a bottle of wine and sit with Len. Hope he feels better soon. Norty Orly!!!:teeth: But what a clever boy!!!;)

OK so here is the lesson. Do not do the online check in until after you get your docs. Even if you don't complete the process and print those forms out.

TA at DU has talked to DCL and they will reissue the docs to my mailing address not physical address. With no fees.

I do so love me DU.

I will still get to do the doc dance. Hope they arrive on time or their hard work is for naught.

Lynne - Sorry for your neices loss - it always seems even worse (if that is possible) when tragic things happen this time of the year.

Hope Len is feeling better.

The Christmas fabric I ordered came but I am truly not developing the interest to get busy with my decorating. I feel very guilty that I can't wait to get Christmas over with so we can get on with the cruise. Every year I pick a theme months ahead of the season, like 10 or more. This year it is teal and gold with pine cones and old hand blown glass ornaments. I make sheers or drapes for the windows and decorate the house in the theme. I have tubs and tubs of stuff but it never seems to be what I need for the next year. One year I did Hawaiian, tropical fish and flowers, another year it was angels and red velvet, another was my wedding (or so Bob called it), yds and yds of white tulle, with poinsetta and winkle lights another was what Bob called my Bordello yr, 75 yds of red satin and over 100 tassels everywhere.

My find at the consignment store yesterday was a brand new Travel Smith Anorak jacket, still in the storage sack they come with. It isn't my favorite color, dark olive, but for $7.99 I'll live with it. Found 2 books too - a good day.

Val

not packed for cruise

Deep breaths.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Just take things one day at a time and try not to stress out too much about things you cannot change.

On Monday, I had a bit of an adventure. Normally I car share with one of my colleagues as I do not drive. He was on vacation so I had to get the train to get to and from work. When I got to the train station after work, the train that I would normally get was delayed by about 30 minutes. As this is a long distance train and we still had some severe weather on that route, I decided that I would not chance this and took a slow train that I normally avoid at all cost. This was a serious error of judgment. The train left and seconds into the journey there was a loud bang and a lot of sparks. The train kept on moving for a bit and then stopped. By then we were in the middle of nowhere so we could not get off the train. The staff on the train moved all of us into one carriage as they were worried that the lights would go out. In the end, the emergency lights fortunately stayed on. In the end, we were stuck in that train for about 3 hours. The heating was not working and it was 16 degrees Fahrenheit (-9 Celsius) in the train. After about 90 minutes, we were told that a train going the other way would turn around at the next station and push the train we were on to a station were we could get onwards transportation. That train went past us shortly afterwards, but still had not come back an hour later. We then found out that the train could not get to the station were it was supposed to turn round. When we had that loud bang, one of the metal parts that come up from the train and connect with the power lines had actually come off and was still hanging from the power lines. We also had torn the power lines on two different tracks and over a distance of a bout 100 yards. I know there was a big jolt when the explosion first happened, but apparently the train briefly went to the adjacent track before returning to the right track. In the end, they backed the other train that was supposed to push us down the up track. Once the train was alongside us, we then got onto that train which backed up to the next station where the train company then organized taxis for us to take us to our respective destinations. I finally got home at 1 AM, frozen stiff, but otherwise unharmed. There were 5 other people on the train and I was chatting with 3 of them while we were stranded. They were fascinating people. I just wish I had met them under other circumstances.

What an ordeal. Glad you and the other travelers are OK.

Hi Folks,

I'm going to have to make my apologies in advance, I'm afraid. We have two weeks to the day before we leave, and I still have a shed load of things to do before then. I'll be lucky to post once every few days, and will probably not be able to keep up with posts.

I'm rather a stress ball at the moment !

Also still waiting to hear back from DU about the dining link for main dining. I hope it goes through. If I don't hear anything in the next two days, I'll contact DCL direct.

Wish I could enjoy these two weeks a little more, rather than having so much to do. I can tell you, the minute I walk into that airport hotel on the 24th, I'm having a stiff drink (or two, or three !), then parking my backside alongside the pool !

Sorry for the "me" posts of late - I so can't wait to meet you all on the cruise ! :cloud9:

Cheers,
Sally :)

:grouphug::grouphug: to you too. Try not to get too stressed.

Thanks for the welcome back....phew climbing up the anchor chain was tough and those of you that hung out in the lifeboats thought you had it bad!!!:rotfl:

That is too funny!

So very sad for your niece's friend. :grouphug: I lost my dad when I was 14 too (my sister was only 9). Its probably very hard for them at the moment, but sometimes moments like this define us. Things do get better. Their family is in my thoughts. :grouphug:

OK. To end on a more upbeat note. There is a total lunar eclipse happening on the 20th or 21ts December (depending where you live). http://www.mreclipse.com/LEdata/TLE2010Dec21/TLE2010Dec21.html
Our friends in Europe will only catch at bit of this event due to moon set, but in America you will be able to see it all.

--Kay

My docs haven't come yet either. I've learnt they never get here when DCL say they will, based on the date their records say they were mailed anyway. Always takes much longer. They said mine were mailed last week, but the rep told me that means they didn't get into the mails until Wed or Thurs of this week.

She also told me something interesting - I asked about upgrades and how they determine who gets them. She said she use to work in that department and it has nothing to do with with anything except lifeboats. She said they only worry about assigning the GTY, almost never upgrade people with assigned cabins. She said they look at balancing the number of people in the lifeboats. I said I thought it might be number of times you've sailed (loyalty reward), number of people in your room (moving those with the most people to the bigger rooms) when you booked (first booked, first assigned) or maybe consideration for the room stewards (both workload and tips assignment). According to her they don't look at any of that, only number of people in each lifeboat station. Don't know if it is true, but nothing else ever made sense so maybe it is.

Val

images

POSTCARD EXCHANGE IS CLOSED
How it works: cruisers buy postcards of their area/country/town/city etc. and deliver them to each person/cabin on the list. Some people elect to make their own postcard using photos they have taken. Others print local recipes on a card. It is great fun to come back to your cabin and find mail.

UPDATE: The Postcard Exchange is closed. Linda, could you please post this final list on page one? Thanks you Val

#1Yepod 6084
bwcb4 2081 would love local recipes
cardidog 7098
carmie3377 6039
Cindy Girl 6126 1-17 is Austin’s 4th BD, a BD note would be great
DCL_FAN_TAC 5133
DCLtravler 6321
DisneyCruiser83 7046
disneylove69 7504
Disneymum2201 2594
Disneyana 7041
Betty 7041
glindamood 6511
Happy Goofy 6044
kmitchel 5500
MickeyMagic 6303
Pixie Dust II 2560
PIXZPWR 7067
Poohs4me 8034
Rose Quartz 1047
RRBB 7048
Sleeping_Beauty81 5514
Tami0220 7618
JenKatt 8516
Tinkryansmom 6040
tammy 7002
ValBob89 6572
Warbluzki 7576
WDW Princess 71 7522
WeLuvDCL 5520

Count - 30 individuals, 29 cabins

First page has been updated.

I forgot to quote so now i've forgotten who is what - The new house will come, you'll get packed and the docs *will* arrive. Take a deep breath and have a glass of wine.

Actually, that's a pretty good prescription for several of you - Sally, Lynne, Val -!

My docs came today - overnighted by my friend in California. THEN I spent an hour on the phone with DCL trying to untangle my information from hers. HOW it got confused in the first place, I haven't figured out - since we haven't cruised together since 2002 - WHEN she had a different last name and lived in Florida! The guy tried to blame it on my TA, a personal friend who KNOWS where I live. OYE. What a way to run a business.

Have a good night, everyone!

not packed for cruise

I know you have said that DU has already taken care of this but in the future...if your TA has confirmed the address they were to go to and they go elsewhere..make sure the TA contacts DCL and fight the charge....I always change the address (they default to the TA) and then confirm about 2 months out (thats about when they go to the printer). Sometimes they have the correct info and sometimes they don't...I am glad I check as my agency is in New Mexico and I am in California!

Glad it worked out for you - I know it's not that it's that important but it is part of the fun!

My 12yr old DD is now wearing size 10 shoes .... My only question is where do I get her shoes next .... I know she's not through growing, but I only see shoes going up to a size 10 ..... (I have never dreamed this would be a concern of mine, as I wear a 5!) ... :confused3
I showed this post to my wife as she wears either a 11 or a 12. She suggested that for everyday shoes
you try Payless for expensive formal shoes you should try Nordstroms.

Laptop back up! DH spent the good part of the afternoon removing the malware from it.

Just skimmed the post so I didn't catch everything but did Lynn's post. Sorry about everything you and Len are going through!

Still don't have docs. Well, maybe they are in the mailbox, need to run down the street and check.

Going to try to finish shopping this weekend. Then Wednesday it's off to Dallas for MIL PhD graduation and Christmas celebrations with DH's family (minus Dad) and my family (minus Dad). Then we'll head back home to get ready for DH's Dad to come. So, we'll have both of our dads here since mine lives with me! I think my good friend Tina and her husband are also going to spend Christmas with us so we'll have a few people here. Then the next weekend, DD is going to Atlanta to see her uncle and flying by herself for the first time :scared1: I think I'm more nervous than she is! She'll be home on Jan 1 and then just 4 days till we're off to MCO :cool1:

Well lots to do. Gonna try to finish up my fish extender rod tonight. Have had the FE done for awhile but DD had a great idea about the rod so we're off to work it. :goodvibes

PUNTARENAS, COSTA RICA TOURS UPDATE
Alvaro indicates it is not to late to join this tour. However, he will need a complete count, with names and ages, soon. This is to assure he has the proper number of vehicles, drivers and private nature guides available.
The following 9 cruiser families and 25 individuals have indicated they will be joining us on this tour. Please confirm your information, including number of people who will joining the tour ASAP.
ChipperMerlin - Shirley & Doug Pearson - 5510 - 2
Dolphingirl 47 - Corinna Graham Ball - 6002 - 2
Izma - Leslie & Trevor (need last name) 7012 - 2
PBader - Paula & Alan, ? & ? (need first and last names) 4
Stephsong - Marie Taylor - 5639 - 1
Tami0220 - Tami & Mike Simpson - 7618 - 2
THEMaster - Barry & Larry - 8056 - 2
Tinkryansmoms - Johnna, Neil, Ryan, Steve, Tammy, O'Neal & ?, ?, ? (need first and last names ) - 6040 & 7002 - 8
ValBob - Valerie & Bob Vanderheiden - 6572 - 2

For those new to the thread or still trying to decide on this tour, here is the basic information. If you wish links to Odssey Tours website, Trip Advisor reviews, Odssey' status with the Costa Rica equivalent to the BBB; proposed schedule, or additional information on areas tour will vist, PM me. I also have info on the State Department and CDC notices for this area of CR:

Ride in an air-conditioned spacious vehicle, being driven by an experienced driver, to Costa Rica’s most popular national park, Manuel Antonio, where our private nature guide will give us a narrative of the geologic features, national history, local botany, as well as exotic tropical birds, monkeys and sloths we will see. Guide will provide books, binoculars and a spotting scope we can share during our tour
03.jpg

Then enjoy the Manuel Antonio beach, equally good for snorkeling, swimming and just laying on the beach before a lunch stop at a quality restaurant where we can choose among traditional Costa Rican favorites or more familiar foods, such as burgers and fries or sandwiches.
manuelantoniopark02.jpg

On the way back to the ship we will have an opportunity, if time permits, to stop at a number of photo opportunities and souvenir shopping spots. These might include Villa Lupas and Santa Lucia, an eco-friendly resort within a tranquil rain-forest preserve for nature lovers.

Oddessy Tours has offered to provide us with up to two 34 seat buses for 14 to 22 passengers and two 16 seat vans for groups between 6 and 8 passengers, allowing ample room for a comfortable journey and movement to see animal sightings. Of course there will be driver and nature guide on each vehicle for the party going on it.

The cost of this full-day tour, with park entry fee and lunch included is $85 per person plus tip. Children under 8 years old receive 15% off, under age 3 are free. Oddessy Tours can now accept credit card payments.

We told our kids the other day that DH wasn't coming on the trip. That DCL had decided that he couldn't come. They didn't believe us, so we showed them our cruise docs that only had the info and tags for the kids and myself.

Oh, we had them going... :rotfl::rotfl:

(DH details have probably been sent to our vacation home in FL as I put that down as his address).

DD asked me to phone DCL and get him put back on the trip. Bless her :cutie:

-Kay

Just got caught up on 10 pages of emails - we were at Disneyland for three glorious days! There were several posts about remembering to notify your credit card company about your trip.

I'd like to alsozz remind everyone to take their passports. That's something we forgot a year ago - discovered this at noon on Friday, with the ship sailing from Port Canaveral on Sunday. Thank goodness it was 3 hours earlier out here and our neighbors were home. They were able to overnight express them to us. Otherwise, we would have missed our cruise AND had no place to stay. I now have post-it notes on the front page of every trip we have scheduled. I'm NOT going through THAT again. And yes, it was my own fault that I forgot them.

Just got caught up on 10 pages of emails - we were at Disneyland for three glorious days! There were several posts about remembering to notify your credit card company about your trip.

I'd like to alsozz remind everyone to take their passports. That's something we forgot a year ago - discovered this at noon on Friday, with the ship sailing from Port Canaveral on Sunday. Thank goodness it was 3 hours earlier out here and our neighbors were home. They were able to overnight express them to us. Otherwise, we would have missed our cruise AND had no place to stay. I now have post-it notes on the front page of every trip we have scheduled. I'm NOT going through THAT again. And yes, it was my own fault that I forgot them.

That's a good point. Also don't forget to check the expiry date of your passports, especially for kids as they are only valid for 5 years. Someone I know was flying to the states with their kids and didn't realize that the kids passports were only for 5 years and had expired. They found this out at the airports. 2 of the party flew as booked, while the dad and the kids had to stay behind and get emergency passports. The mom felt sooo bad that she didn't realize, and the kids were upset too. It all worked out in the end, but the kids did loose 3 days of their vacation. (It was a vacation to WDW too!)

Check and double check!

Quick post to let those who sent me a PM with a request for the same dining rotation on main dining - the details have now been added by Disney per DU. I'm not sure how to check the status under the reservations, tho'.

Hope you're all having a stellar Friday / Saturday.

Cheers,
Sally :)

We just returned from WDW. Thursday we spend some time at the Wilderness Lodge. Jenn and Jeff= I had my Treasure Hunt book with me. We learned a lot of interesting facts about the lodge from the ranger there. We went and saw some of the model train that Disney had running at his home. We then went to Fort Wilderness and ate at Trails End. Their spare ribs are great. Then we froze while waiting at the beach there to see the fireworks and the electrial parade on the water. The way we were dressed you would of thought we were at a Vermont ski lodge. It was COLD.

Friday was warmer and we were at Epcot and someone gave us Fast Passes to Soaring. We had the dinner package for the CP. The food in the German Pavilion was very good. Then we went to stand in the long, long, line for the CP. We kind of lucked out and we got to sit in the third row. Whoopie Goldberg was great as the reader and the music was lovely.

It was very,very crowded. We did not stay for the fireworks because we were driving back to Merritt Island. We were tired but had a great time.

Jeff- have been to Pop Century now many times and still can not find the Mickey is Everything Pop.Is it in the twinkling lights? We had a lot of people there trying to help us find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter