Grand Californian parking

inmyis

Disney Dude and Diva
I have read different reports. Some say all pay $15/day to park your car at the Grand Californian. Others say that DVC members staying on points in a villa park for free. Which is it?:confused3

My understanding is that because we contribute to the cost of maintaining the parking lot with our dues, they can't charge us for parking when staying on our points. Check out the big VGC thread.

I think I read that self-parking is free and valet parking is $15/day. So I think that any guest at the Grand Californian or VGC (DVC or not) has the choice of free versus valet parking. I could be wrong. I was planning to self-park, so I know that is free!

disneydenisel I think I read that self-parking is free and valet parking is $15/day. So I think that any guest at the Grand Californian or VGC (DVC or not) has the choice of free versus valet parking. I could be wrong. I was planning to self-park, so I know that is free!

Sorry to say disneydenise! We called the hotel and the new policy is that hotel guests pay $15 a day now to park. And Valet is up to $22.

That being said, we called MS and they confirmed that DVC Members staying on points do get free parking. Yeah DVC! :thumbsup2

Sorry to say disneydenise! We called the hotel and the new policy is that hotel guests pay $15 a day now to park. And Valet is up to $22.

That being said, we called MS and they confirmed that DVC Members staying on points do get free parking. Yeah DVC! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the update! Glad we are staying on points, then :).

Just to note that the parking lot for Grand Californian is across the street. That said, they will let you swing through the valet/lobby drop off area to drop everyone off and offload your luggage. Just something to keep in mind if you are going to be going off property for anything.

Then when staying on points and you want to valet park, how much is it then?

It's STILL $22.00!! SELF PARKING up to 2 CARS ($15 per car) IS FREE FOR DVC MEMBERS. If more than 2 park cars then a charge of $15 applies for CAR #3. ANY CAR IN VALET REGARDLESS OF BEING A DVC MEMBER!

Sorry did not finish the sentence - any car in valet regardless of being a DVC member is going to be $22.00. Stayed in the grand villa in May and asked the CM at the front entrance when you drive up & had 5 cars total with different parking situations to deal with. Some with AP parking privledges but had to convince them not to park there. "I don't think you can leave your car there overnight." Have not asked yet but I doubt it.

When we stayed last year at Paradise Pier on points, we did not pay for parking.

Did you self park or valet? The rules are the same at all 3 resorts. Self parking is FREE BUT VALET IS $22.00. I stayed @ PPH in June 2010 and will be staying @ GCH for 1 night BOTH on POINTS but I'm sure it will not change if I choose to self park! I live 20 minutes away & choose to go back n' forth for various reasons so sometimes I valet but when my husband & I take separate cars he chooses self parking THUS HIS CAR IS FREE while I have to pay $22.00! SELF PARKING IS FREE FOR DVC but not if you choose to use valet either overnight or for a week!

Did you self park or valet? The rules are the same at all 3 resorts. Self parking is FREE BUT VALET IS $22.00. I stayed @ PPH in June 2010 and will be staying @ GCH for 1 night BOTH on POINTS but I'm sure it will not change if I choose to self park! I live 20 minutes away & choose to go back n' forth for various reasons so sometimes I valet but when my husband & I take separate cars he chooses self parking THUS HIS CAR IS FREE while I have to pay $22.00! SELF PARKING IS FREE FOR DVC but not if you choose to use valet either overnight or for a week!

This irks me too. I would think if you get credited $15 for self parking then valet should only be another $7, but no. I would prefer to just valet (I'm handicapped) and not have to deal with whether there are any handicapped spaces available (there are only about 8--if they are all taken they will valet for free--BUT they want you to then come back and check the next day to move your car to handicapped. Really!) Disney wouldn't you be better off getting the $7 a day for my car and then neither one of us has to move it during my stay?

Just to clarify. The "Resort Fees" or "Parking Fees" aren't really free. They are just baked into the points costs for the rooms. You are still paying of course, just under a different line.

This irks me too. I would think if you get credited $15 for self parking then valet should only be another $7, but no. I would prefer to just valet (I'm handicapped) and not have to deal with whether there are any handicapped spaces available (there are only about 8--if they are all taken they will valet for free--BUT they want you to then come back and check the next day to move your car to handicapped. Really!) Disney wouldn't you be better off getting the $7 a day for my car and then neither one of us has to move it during my stay?

Valet parking at GC is most likely contracted out, that is why they no longer have free valet for members at WDW. However, at WDW they do have free valet with a handicapped permit, you may want to check into that.

By the way, the $15 self parking for those DVC members with more than 2 cars would cover 2 cars.

By the way, the $15 self parking for those DVC members with more than 2 cars would cover 2 cars.

As explained by the CM at the Grand gate was "In Self Parking - car #1 = FREE car #2 = FREE
car #3 = $15.00 Process starts over again - car #4 = FREE car #5 = FREE & car #6 = $15.00"

Please keep in mind that we had the Grand Villa and 5 out of 12 guests (including me DVC member) each had a car on property but coming/going at different times. Thus the question of paying for parking. My friends thought they could park at the Mickey n friends parking with their PAP to avoid fee but you can't park there ALL NIGHT. Had to remind them they are hotel guests so just park at hotel. They did valet and paid me back. I did valet but my husband did not = FREE both my sister in law and her husband took separate cars and did self parking 1st = FREE 2nd = $15.00 (they also paid me back.) I see you are from Arcadia (we are from Chino Hills) so if you ever have as many local guests stay with you @ VGC like I did this is how parking will be.

As explained by the CM at the Grand gate was "In Self Parking - car #1 = FREE car #2 = FREE
car #3 = $15.00 Process starts over again - car #4 = FREE car #5 = FREE & car #6 = $15.00"

That is just plain weird. I know that it's not reasonable for them to say something like "for every 50 points you are using for this stay, you get to park one car for free." I mean, I'm glad they don't do that, it would be chaos, even if it is a better representation of the fact that the dues for the points we're staying on pay for parking. But I just don't see how the system above has any relationship to the real situation. (Sorry, mathematician in me coming out.)

That is just plain weird. I know that it's not reasonable for them to say something like "for every 50 points you are using for this stay, you get to park one car for free." I mean, I'm glad they don't do that, it would be chaos, even if it is a better representation of the fact that the dues for the points we're staying on pay for parking. But I just don't see how the system above has any relationship to the real situation. (Sorry, mathematician in me coming out.)

I'm not quite sure either but that is how it was explained to me. Perhaps it was my unusual situation of number of guests with their cars. She knew we were staying in the Grand Villa & mentioned that we would be under an honor system so there would not be an abuse of the parking privilege. Maybe she thought we were going to have a party in the GV with 50 or more people? LOL! We sometimes have a few people stop by as guests NOT staying overnight but they usually use valet or park DTD for a few hours or park @ Mickey/Friends structure with their Annual passes.

I think I read that self-parking is free and valet parking is $15/day. So I think that any guest at the Grand Californian or VGC (DVC or not) has the choice of free versus valet parking. I could be wrong. I was planning to self-park, so I know that is free!

I believe you are correct. We self parked as DVC members and and did not pay anything. It was quite easy and painless.

I believe you are correct. We self parked as DVC members and and did not pay anything. It was quite easy and painless.

As long as you don't have a massive amount of people to cars needing self parking! LOL !!! It should be VERY easy and painless! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter