Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have kids right?
I think 100% opposite, kids will get up early way before they stand around doing nothing in line for 4 hours. Heck, most kids ARE already up early. It's the parents that hate getting up early
Maybe your kids are way different than mine or my grands. Or any they know
Oh we don't have a problem getting up early. We did it for the SWGE Passholder preview. But for that we were guaranteed a spot. I agree a battle group is better than a 4 hour queue, though I don't know if the queue would be 4 hours long IF the ride was fully functional and not breaking down.

Besides ..getting to the park early and fighting those crowds and waiting around doing nothing .. is still essentially "waiting" in a long queue (which is can be equally boring for young kids).

I wasn't getting up early to "gamble" and then even if the gamble pays off .. not knowing how long we would have to stay at the park.

My point is it just puts some stress on the morning of a vacation .. that is just easier to handle without kids. I like FP+ because it makes going on rides easier with kids (even if I can't get a FP for some rides... I still have an option to wait)

The one thing that bothers me so much about this ride is the style of animation. Mickey just recently celebrated his 90th birthday and for almost all of those years his look didn't change much at all. But now this new style came and this is the ride we're getting. I hate the animation.
You aren’t alone. It’s a very common complaint. A lot of people do not like this art style.
You're not the only one who feels that way.
Add me to the list of people who are not fans of this animation style. That said, I'm still looking forward to seeing what this ride will be like. I'm particularly intrigued by the prospect of the 2.5D effects and hoping they live up to the hype.

Add me to the list of people who are not fans of this animation style. That said, I'm still looking forward to seeing what this ride will be like. I'm particularly intrigued by the prospect of the 2.5D effects and hoping they live up to the hype.
I don't only hate the animation but I hate his personality. We are still going to ride. But I'll never watch the cartoons, except when we are at the resort in the CL lounge and that's what they play

I still can't get my head around why the loading methodology (FP+, BG, SB, etc.) hasn't been released yet. Is there a reason that Disney will wait until the morning of opening to decide or have they already decided and aren't revealing which way they will go?

I still can't get my head around why the loading methodology (FP+, BG, SB, etc.) hasn't been released yet. Is there a reason that Disney will wait until the morning of opening to decide or have they already decided and aren't revealing which way they will go?
I'd say there's a 99.99% chance it's the bold

Agreed, but then why not inform the guests beforehand?
Why give people more time to complain? 🙃

I’m sure they’ll announce something before the ride opens, even if it’s just a few days before.

The less complicated it is, the less notice it seems like they would need to give. So I speculate that the longer they wait to make an announcement, the more likely it will simply be a standby line.

Unless standby times are consistently under 30 minutes, I am hoping for a virtual queue system because I prefer that to waiting in line.

The less complicated it is, the less notice it seems like they would need to give. So I speculate that the longer they wait to make an announcement, the more likely it will simply be a standby line.

It was my understanding that there are strong indications it will go the BG route. Do you think that now it is closing in on opening day, it has shifted to SB?

It was my understanding that there are strong indications it will go the BG route. Do you think that now it is closing in on opening day, it has shifted to SB?
I have no special info. I’ve heard that a virtual queue (BG) is likely what they are going to do.

But I would think that the more guests are required to do, the earlier they would need to announce the system, so people can plan. I am all for a virtual queue, but I would think they’d need to announce it early enough so that people with FP+, ADRs, and planning to ride ROTR, can factor in MMRR if it requires something more than waiting in a standby line.

I have no special info. I’ve heard that a virtual queue (BG) is likely what they are going to do.

But I would think that the more guests are required to do, the earlier they would need to announce the system, so people can plan. I am all for a virtual queue, but I would think they’d need to announce it early enough so that people with FP+, ADRs, and planning to ride ROTR, can factor in MMRR if it requires something more than waiting in a standby line.
They didn't announce it ahead of time with ROTR.

With BGs, you can ride without having to wait in a long line if you get up at the crack of dawn. Otherwise, you can’t ride at all.

With SB, you can ride without having to wait in a long line if you get up at the crack of dawn. Otherwise, you still can ride if you don’t mind waiting in line.

I would say SB is preferable and would hope that BGs were a one-off response to the unique challenges of ROTR.

They didn't announce it ahead of time with ROTR.
Yeah. I think the blog post with instructions was put up around midnight (morning) on opening day, if I remember correctly.

My question now, that’s different from when RotR opened, is: If both attractions use virtual queues, will you be forced to pick one or the other, or can you be in two virtual cues at once? If guests have to pick one or the other, I would hope they’d announce that before opening day.

Although, not announcing the RotR plan until a few hours before the park opened, and then not announcing at all the recent FP+ tier change, I shouldn’t expect them to announce anything in advance. Show up and hope for the best! But that’s the risk you take if you are a day one visitor, which is not totally unreasonable, I guess.

With BGs, you can ride without having to wait in a long line if you get up at the crack of dawn. Otherwise, you can’t ride at all.

With SB, you can ride without having to wait in a long line if you get up at the crack of dawn. Otherwise, you still can ride if you don’t mind waiting in line.

I would say SB is preferable and would hope that BGs were a one-off response to the unique challenges of ROTR.

I agree. SB seemed to work great for MFSR, at least when we were there. The lines were never insane and it moved constantly.

Agreed, but then why not inform the guests beforehand?
Because they don't have to.
Nothing at all to gain by telling now and a whole lot of crap to listen to if they do.
It's one of those things that is what it is, no since stressing over it at this point. They aren't going to change their minds because we want them to. We just have to accept whatever they choose, or skip riding it.
I guess I'm too old now and have learned to just let be things I can't control. So I'm rolling with whatever they decide. Knowing today won't change anything.
Whatever they choose, me getting there at opening is going to be the first step.

Actually, not really. Not certainly at any rate.
I've gotten up at the crack of dawn for a stand by only ride but still had to wait in very long lines. Only a few guests get right on, in the first few groups. The rest wait in a line both to get in and then for the ride. I'm not willing to run and shove cause you know, it's against the rules. Those that don't care will and they'll get a short wait. The rest, even though they are there super early, not so lucky.

This is only true up to the capacity of the ride. If an attraction can handle, say 10,000 people in a day, once that many people have entered the line they have to close it.

For ROTR, at least at DL currently, there are way more people that want to ride than can physically ride it in a day, so a standby line would not give everyone an option to ride even if they don’t mind waiting in line.

For MFSR, it seems like a standby line worked because its capacity is greater than the number of people who want to ride it each day.

I guess it depends on what they expect demand (and reliability) to be for MMRR. Although, I’m hopeful for a virtual queue so standing in line is not necessary. And, if capacity is high enough to accommodate the demand, then then the virtual queue will be open all day, just like a regular queue would be.

This is only true up to the capacity of the ride. If an attraction can handle, say 10,000 people in a day, once that many people have entered the line they have to close it.

For ROTR, at least at DL currently, there are way more people that want to ride than can physically ride it in a day, so a standby line would not give everyone an option to ride even if they don’t mind waiting in line.

For MFSR, it seems like a standby line worked because its capacity is greater than the number of people who want to ride it each day.

I guess it depends on what they expect demand (and reliability) to be for MMRR. Although, I’m hopeful for a virtual queue so standing in line is not necessary. And, if capacity is high enough to accommodate the demand, then then the virtual queue will be open all day, just like a regular queue would be.
The demand situation generally handles itself pretty well. Right now everybody wants to ride Rise, but a large portion would not be willing to stand in line all day for it. Which is simply how parks across the world handle high demand. Excluding opening day/week waits, you’ll rarely find a wait over 4-5 hours at any park for new rides, with most rides topping out at 2-3 hours. Virtual Queue drastically changes the demand structure. Everybody will grab a spot in the virtual queue regardless of situation, because there is no downside to having one. You go about your normal day and possibly get to ride at some point. So if that 10,000 people is all the ride can handle in a day, 10,000 will grab a boarding group as they enter the park that morning, but 10,000 will not get in line immediately every morning.
Then those long lines becoming unappealing to enough to where Fastpass programs become more appealing, and allow for both the virtual/ scheduled waiting and standby.
Ultimately the issue with Rise is much more reliability than it is demand.

And, if capacity is high enough to accommodate the demand, then then the virtual queue will be open all day, just like a regular queue would be.
Bingo.

For what it's worth, MF:SR opened with a VQ/BG. It was officially for access to the land, but it worked the same - you couldn't get in line until your BG was called. It proved so ridiculously unnecessary that it was ended by 6PM opening day. So it is possible (probable?) that MMRR will open with a VQ and by 6PM that day we all forget that the process ever existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter