Great Movie Ride closes for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo.

For what it's worth, MF:SR opened with a VQ/BG. It was officially for access to the land, but it worked the same - you couldn't get in line until your BG was called. It proved so ridiculously unnecessary that it was ended by 6PM opening day. So it is possible (probable?) that MMRR will open with a VQ and by 6PM that day we all forget that the process ever existed.
I was there opening day and while yes, they was a VQ it was only for the land. There was no time regarding getting in line for the ride. Once in the land, you could get in line if you wanted.

This is only true up to the capacity of the ride. If an attraction can handle, say 10,000 people in a day, once that many people have entered the line they have to close it.

For ROTR, at least at DL currently, there are way more people that want to ride than can physically ride it in a day, so a standby line would not give everyone an option to ride even if they don’t mind waiting in line.

For MFSR, it seems like a standby line worked because its capacity is greater than the number of people who want to ride it each day.

I guess it depends on what they expect demand (and reliability) to be for MMRR. Although, I’m hopeful for a virtual queue so standing in line is not necessary. And, if capacity is high enough to accommodate the demand, then then the virtual queue will be open all day, just like a regular queue would be.
And the ride is frankly, not very popular.

I was there opening day and while yes, they was a VQ it was only for the land. There was no time regarding getting in line for the ride. Once in the land, you could get in line if you wanted.
Since the ride is in the land that means there was a VQ for the ride. You couldn't get on until your BG was called. In terms of how it controls guest access to the ride, it works identical to the ROTR BGs, even if it also granted additional privileges.

And the ride is frankly, not very popular.

I don't know if I would say that it's not "very popular" but it's certainly not as popular as it should be considering. They messed it up by gameifying it and by making the positions very, very unequal. Engineer and Gunner are totally lame, and if your pilots aren't good it really changes the ride. I think they should just change it and make it a static run so you can just enjoy the show, or have like one duty like Mission: SPACE so that you feel like you are doing something.

I don't know if I would say that it's not "very popular" but it's certainly not as popular as it should be considering. They messed it up by gameifying it and by making the positions very, very unequal. Engineer and Gunner are totally lame, and if your pilots aren't good it really changes the ride. I think they should just change it and make it a static run so you can just enjoy the show, or have like one duty like Mission: SPACE so that you feel like you are doing something.

The huge difference in the positions definitely impacts my opinion of the ride overall. The first time my wife and I rode it in DIsneyland we didn't get to be pilots and while the ride was still cool nothing really wow'd us. The second time we rode it we were the 2 lucky ones who got to be pilots and it completely changed everything. We went from "just press the flashing buttons" to "holy cow we are actually controlling the ride". It was such an amazing experience to be the pilot that from now on I almost don't want to keep trying to ride it knowing if we don't get lucky it's a pretty boring ride.

The huge difference in the positions definitely impacts my opinion of the ride overall. The first time my wife and I rode it in DIsneyland we didn't get to be pilots and while the ride was still cool nothing really wow'd us. The second time we rode it we were the 2 lucky ones who got to be pilots and it completely changed everything. We went from "just press the flashing buttons" to "holy cow we are actually controlling the ride". It was such an amazing experience to be the pilot that from now on I almost don't want to keep trying to ride it knowing if we don't get lucky it's a pretty boring ride.

Oh, I know. We never got to be pilots at all, and it discouraged waiting again to not be pilots. We also had a run though where out pilots weren't really doing well and running us into the ground causing extra shaking. It was a horrible ride!

Since the ride is in the land that means there was a VQ for the ride. You couldn't get on until your BG was called. In terms of how it controls guest access to the ride, it works identical to the ROTR BGs, even if it also granted additional privileges.
And had no time limit. Which makes is HUGELY different than a RotR BG. You got in and you stayed as long as you wanted. Rode as many times as you wanted to stand in line for too. Again, HUGE difference from a BG.

Interesting .. didnt think that having only TWO rides in Tier 1 at DHS would last long. Glad to see this over BG though. Though it will be impossible to get this without having a 5+ day resort stay though is my guess..

Just a shame they open these up only 30 days in advance, tons of resort guests not really getting use the 60-day advantage.

My sister-in-laws family is going mid-march .. and they have a FP for MFSR ..hopefully the travel agent they are working with changes it to this if possible.

This will make planning a DHS day pretty tough between getting there early for a BG chance, and only picking one of the key rides for FP+ ... all depends how long the lines get for the new ride. I guess. The problem the boarding group thing causes is drawing way more people to rope drop ---which means more people heading to a ride like SDD first thing (making rope dropping rides a lot harder-- i have seen videos where the line to SDD stretched to Little Mermaid. Yikes!

At least now DHS has 4 BRAND NEW attractions .... that will spread out the crowds and put the pressure off the other rides and shows. A park going from 5 ride attractions to 9 in just a few years is an amazing transformation of what was getting to be a very stale park. Makes me excited for the Epcot overhaul as well.

The downside .. this will draw a TON of people to a very small park. Will DHS see as much upswing in attendance as AK did after Pandora?

Interesting .. didnt think that having only TWO rides in Tier 1 at DHS would last long. Glad to see this over BG though. Though it will be impossible to get this without having a 5+ day resort stay though is my guess..

Just a shame they open these up only 30 days in advance, tons of resort guests not really getting use the 60-day advantage.

My sister-in-laws family is going mid-march .. and they have a FP for MFSR ..hopefully the travel agent they are working with changes it to this if possible.

This will make planning a DHS day pretty tough between getting there early for a BG chance, and only picking one of the key rides for FP+ ... all depends how long the lines get for the new ride. I guess. The problem the boarding group thing causes is drawing way more people to rope drop ---which means more people heading to a ride like SDD first thing (making rope dropping rides a lot harder-- i have seen videos where the line to SDD stretched to Little Mermaid. Yikes!
I really hope they put Rise of the Resistance on a fp as well at least I can plan the day better

At least now DHS has 4 BRAND NEW attractions .... that will spread out the crowds and put the pressure off the other rides and shows. A park going from 5 ride attractions to 9 in just a few years is an amazing transformation of what was getting to be a very stale park. Makes me excited for the Epcot overhaul as well.

The downside .. this will draw a TON of people to a very small park. Will DHS see as much upswing in attendance as AK did after Pandora?
DHS has already seen an attendance increase. To what extent we don’t know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter