Have supermarkets started limiting meat by you?

HeatherC

Alas...these people I live with ...
By me, Stop and a Shop is now limiting meat purchases to two per person. Shaw’s, however, has not instituted any policy yet.

Have you noticed any restrictions for meats where you live?

The Sams where I live is limiting to one. Just started last week. I was there tonight and they had no meat to even purchase in the first place. Maybe next time.

The Sams where I live is limiting to one. Just started last week. I was there tonight and they had no meat to even purchase in the first place. Maybe next time.
Isn’t it strange to see that? Every time I go food shopping it feels so strange to see empty aisles.

It will be interesting to see what happens here in California. Shortages here to this point have been due to hoarding. All the trade groups say 25% of the nation's beef, pork and chicken processed in the entire nation are processed in California, and no California processing facilities here have been closed. We should have an adequate supply.

yes......Costco was 3 fresh meats
grocery store has been 2 beef, 2 chicken.
I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow and will see it has changed.

I had no idea everywhere wasn’t limiting until this week. It’s been a limit of 2 since March here. It’s only been the last couple weeks you could even find meat with regularity!

There was briefly a few weeks ago when the panic buying was at its peak, but now everything is back to normal on that front. We can actually get amazing meat, seafood, etc. at the moment - we are getting beautiful steak for the same price as frozen pizza, and one supermarket is selling sashimi grade tuna which is normally sold to the top restaurants in Australia, the States and Japan.

I think the only thing with limits is flour (although who really needs more than 2 bags anyway?). At my Mum’s work the limit on hand sanitiser is now 12 bottles per person!

Yes, our stores have been limiting customers to 1 of each type (1 beef, 1 chicken, 1 pork). I've seen a few posts on our town's open forum from people who proudly go around to each of our 3 stores in the morning, get what they are allowed, then go back in the afternoon and get more, then do it again the next day...

Our Wendy's restaurants have also stopped selling hamburgers as they cannot get any beef. Chicken only.

Not as of last week - it’s been kind of hit and miss though as to what’s in stock. I go grocery shopping tomorrow.

How much meat can people really hoard though? I mean, you can stuff toilet paper everywhere, but there’s only so much space for meat ...

There were no limits posted at WalMart's meat section, but my cousin who does the shopping found nearly empty aisles. No beef of any kind-even ground- except two lonely packages of stewing cubes (which she grabbed, I'm going to try them in the slow cooker). The only chicken to be had were a small pile of tenderloins; she bought a few of them, too. There was limited fish, she found a nice piece of salmon, and a package of shrimp. No pork.

I never thought this would happen in America, empty aisles. We are far from going hungry, veggies are plentiful and sauces, too. Good selection of pastas. We'll be fine but it *is* disconcerting.

What was this week's impossible to find product? Cornstarch. I use it to thicken my sauces and gravies because when I use flour I get lumps. But there was NOTHING.

I'm vegetarian, so my contribution is second hand, but I was told that at one local store they've been limiting it since March. The limits at that particular store, around the beginning of April (which is when I had this conversation.) were one of each type of meat, meaning 1 beef product, 1 pork product, etc.

When this started March 13, there were limits on pretty much everything. 2 weeks ago it was a big deal that H-E-B had lifted all limits on food items. Last week they reinstated those limits; started with 2 packs of meat total (didn’t matter what it was; fresh cuts only not processed meats); by Saturday it was 5 total. Not sure what it is now, but there have been like 5 cases reported at the processing plant here so that could make and impact again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter