Here is why Universal is a better value than Disney (get those flames ready!)

My apologies, I was going from memory. It was actually $485 and that was with the returning customers discount. I will PM you the link.

Stacy

VRBO is a great website to find rentals. We stayed in Indian Ridge community. It was a well kept community.. unfortunately we rented a bad rental but I would def look in that area again. We went in October and got the pet friendly rental with pool (heated for extra) for $89 dollars a night. I want to say the summer rate was like $129 a night.

The location was AMAZING! The drive was literally 4 minutes to disney entrance.

Just looked, I see rates for summer starting at $119 for GREAT looking homes in the Indian Ridge community that sleep 6-8.

When you get FD...it is cheaper to stay at Pop. We like the ease of staying onsite.

I guess for me, I am just not seeing what this "ease of staying on site" is. We all have different preferences I guess. Maybe if you are into the dining plan you have to go that route. I don't see the value in that plan for us, because the food just isn't what we like.

For me, living in tiny disney hotel rooms for the entire week with my family of four is a hassle. Even the the most expensive disney hotel rooms are still tiny. Being required to eat disney is a hassle and having to wait in lines for standing room only buses to get there and back also a hassle. Then there is the whole cost thing. It is way more expensive to stay on site.

We stay off-site so we can spread out and relax at the end of the day, and have the freedom to leave whenever we want whether to hit another park, run back to the house for a swim and a nap etc. We love having the ability to get really good meals for a fraction of the cost etc etc. We're not cheap. We just like to make the most for our dollar. That way we can tag things like Discovery cove onto the vacation without even blinking.

I'm not bashing anyone's choices out there. Just putting in a plug for a different and still wonderful way to do Disney. Yeah, the towel animals, the piped music and the theming are sort of cool, but for us, there is not enough bang for the buck when you figure in the other associated hassles.

VRBO is a great website to find rentals. We stayed in Indian Ridge community. It was a well kept community.. unfortunately we rented a bad rental but I would def look in that area again. We went in October and got the pet friendly rental with pool (heated for extra) for $89 dollars a night. I want to say the summer rate was like $129 a night.

The location was AMAZING! The drive was literally 4 minutes to disney entrance.

Just looked, I see rates for summer starting at $119 for GREAT looking homes in the Indian Ridge community that sleep 6-8.

Thanks for the tip! I think we have found our go to place in Orlando but if I ever can't get the dates I want from Pete it is great to have a back-up. We almost always rent homes when we vacation. I think people would be surprised to see how comparable the prices are to many of the hotels out there with way way way more space and options. :)

I guess for me, I am just not seeing what this "ease of staying on site" is. We all have different preferences I guess. Maybe if you are into the dining plan you have to go that route. I don't see the value in that plan for us, because the food just isn't what we like.

For me, living in tiny disney hotel rooms for the entire week with my family of four is a hassle. Even the the most expensive disney hotel rooms are still tiny. Being required to eat disney is a hassle and having to wait in lines for standing room only buses to get there and back also a hassle. Then there is the whole cost thing. It is way more expensive to stay on site.

We stay off-site so we can spread out and relax at the end of the day, and have the freedom to leave whenever we want whether to hit another park, run back to the house for a swim and a nap etc. We love having the ability to get really good meals for a fraction of the cost etc etc. We're not cheap. We just like to make the most for our dollar. That way we can tag things like Discovery cove onto the vacation without even blinking.

I'm not bashing anyone's choices out there. Just putting in a plug for a different and still wonderful way to do Disney. Yeah, the towel animals, the piped music and the theming are sort of cool, but for us, there is not enough bang for the buck when you figure in the other associated hassles.

I totally understand that. However for us...we can eat anywhere that we like at Disney with the FD plan. So we enjoy that part of it. Plus our children are theme park kids. They LOVE to go go go when we are there. So the only thing we do is sleep and shower in a room. So the size really doesn't matter. We don't even use the pools there. We do run into some delays in buses, but not routinely. We can usually get on and sit down. But we go in October when the crowds are lower. I would NEVER EVER go to Disney in the summer or during Spring Break. I can't imagine moving through those crowds.

Oh yes..we tip. Just like we tip at Hard Rock, The Kitchen, Margaritaville, Bubba Gumps, Mythos, etc. We have NEVER had a TS meal be $200. The most TS meal for our family was $100. That was at Chef Mickey's. Since that is a buffet we don't tip the standard 15-20%. Another meal that was expensive was CRT, but it was just DD and I so that wasn't horrible.

I'm certainly not going to get into a discussion over what somebody else decides to tip, but having moonlighted in the service industry when times were lean both DH & I tip generously as we are well aware of how hard the servers work for their income. fyi, it is printed on the bottom of all WDW receipts that suggested tip is 18 - 20%, the same as in my area. As stated above, my only reason for bringing it up in the 1st place was to reference that the tip is not included in the current version of the DP for any U regulars who haven't visited recently. It was when it 1st rolled out, along w/appetizer. The tip needs to be factored in for those working on a tight budget.

not sure how many or what ages in your party, but if using 4 'adults (i.e. ages 10 & over)

CM is $34+, CP is $37+, other TS are easily in the $45 + range

the + = tax of whatever it is;)i've been charged different rates in orlando over the years ranging from 6.5 up to 8%, apparently it's flexible:confused3...i'm sure one of the locals would know. I tried to look it up & found this interesting article :rolleyes:talk about working a loophole!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/elections/os-disney-vacation-package-taxes-20110525,0,3728685.story

Stay off--site. Seriously. I rent a four bedroom home with a pool that is ten minutes from disney every time I go down there. I pay $475 for the week, more if I need pool heat.

Yeah, I don't get any towel animals. What I do get is not being crammed into a tiny room with the whole family. instead we each have our own room to watch what we want at the end of a long day, our own pool to float in, in a screen porch. Our own kitchen, a pool table, a lovely gated community...

Seriously. I did the stay at Disney(port orleans), it is so not worth it. Stay off-site, save bunch of money doing so and you will not regret it. Oh and having your own car to leave when you want to instead of waiting for standing room only buses? It rocks.

I can totally appreciate this way of thinking but for us the idea of being at a resort (staying at either Hard Rock or Royal Pacific this time around) is just more exciting then staying in a private home. I may have different needs then some....I usually don't spend much time in the room when I am on vacation and NEVER watch TV (only at night falling asleep) To me, I can do that at home. Last year we stayed at POP and yes the room was SMALL but here was our typical day: Get up early and eat breakfast at "our" table right outside our room first floor, right in front of the Hippy Dippy pool. Swim all morning then take a shower, get dressed and go to a park for the rest of the day. Always go to a park with the extended magic hours (since we usually go in October the crowds are SO not an issue) and usually get home around 1am. Swim again, shower then go to bed and start it all over again. No need for a rent a car, buses were fine for us and since my daughter has autism we like it for the whole social experience. The buses for POP were the best since they never stopped at any other stops....just POP then a park. At Universal it will be even better with the short water taxi ride (our DD loves boats).

I know me, if I am staying at a private home I will feel obligated to cook and clean (because I am crazy like that) and where is the "magic" in that. I can be a house wife at home. I go on vacation for the experience of it all. My co-worker goes to Disney ever year and does what you do, rents a condo. She loves it and it works for her and her family. She thinks I am the nutty one who would rather stay on site in a small one room hotel room but like I said, our needs are different :-) We did stay off site a few times but now that I have stayed on site for the past few years I feel like a brat and would never stay at an off site hotel again. We did price out a few Universal friendly hotels and they were a few hundred dollars cheaper but I would rather stay on site and not rent a car, will be just about even then.

Tina

I'm certainly not going to get into a discussion over what somebody else decides to tip, but having moonlighted in the service industry when times were lean both DH & I tip generously as we are well aware of how hard the servers work for their income. fyi, it is printed on the bottom of all WDW receipts that suggested tip is 18 - 20%, the same as in my area. As stated above, my only reason for bringing it up in the 1st place was to reference that the tip is not included in the current version of the DP for any U regulars who haven't visited recently. It was when it 1st rolled out, along w/appetizer. The tip needs to be factored in for those working on a tight budget.

not sure how many or what ages in your party, but if using 4 'adults (i.e. ages 10 & over)

CM is $34+, CP is $37+, other TS are easily in the $45 + range

the + = tax of whatever it is;)i've been charged different rates in orlando over the years ranging from 6.5 up to 8%, apparently it's flexible:confused3...i'm sure one of the locals would know. I tried to look it up & found this interesting article :rolleyes:talk about working a loophole!

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/elections/os-disney-vacation-package-taxes-20110525,0,3728685.story

The first year that we went to Disney, we went to Chef Mickey's. It was 2 adults and 2 children. The bill was $105.00. I don't remember what tip we left, but I never leave 15-20% tip at a restaurant that is a buffet. I do believe that we usually leave about $10-$12 for buffet and the standard 15-20% for the restuarants that aren't buffet. The difference is...when we go to US/IOA we pay for the meal and the tip. We are a family that prefer US/IOA over Disney on any given day. We find US/IOA much more relaxing and fun than Disney. We aren't Disney regulars by any means...we have been twice, and really don't plan on returning for a few years.

I can totally appreciate this way of thinking but for us the idea of being at a resort (staying at either Hard Rock or Royal Pacific this time around) is just more exciting then staying in a private home. I may have different needs then some....I usually don't spend much time in the room when I am on vacation and NEVER watch TV (only at night falling asleep) To me, I can do that at home. Last year we stayed at POP and yes the room was SMALL but here was our typical day: Get up early and eat breakfast at "our" table right outside our room first floor, right in front of the Hippy Dippy pool. Swim all morning then take a shower, get dressed and go to a park for the rest of the day. Always go to a park with the extended magic hours (since we usually go in October the crowds are SO not an issue) and usually get home around 1am. Swim again, shower then go to bed and start it all over again. No need for a rent a car, buses were fine for us and since my daughter has autism we like it for the whole social experience. The buses for POP were the best since they never stopped at any other stops....just POP then a park. At Universal it will be even better with the short water taxi ride (our DD loves boats).

I know me, if I am staying at a private home I will feel obligated to cook and clean (because I am crazy like that) and where is the "magic" in that. I can be a house wife at home. I go on vacation for the experience of it all. My co-worker goes to Disney ever year and does what you do, rents a condo. She loves it and it works for her and her family. She thinks I am the nutty one who would rather stay on site in a small one room hotel room but like I said, our needs are different :-) We did stay off site a few times but now that I have stayed on site for the past few years I feel like a brat and would never stay at an off site hotel again. We did price out a few Universal friendly hotels and they were a few hundred dollars cheaper but I would rather stay on site and not rent a car, will be just about even then.

Tina

That's funny. We do the same thing, but off-site. We only eat breakfast at the house, then walk out the patio door and into our private pool and whirlpool. We eat our main meal at the parks or at a local restaurant so I'm not spending my time in the kitchen cooking, but if we want to make something we just swing by the super walmart, pick it up and throw it in the oven when we get back--so easy.

Difference is, when we shower we have four bathrooms so we aren't waiting for someone to hurry up and get out. I can throw a load of laundry in and go off to the parks instead of feeding machines quarters at the on-site places.

I know it's preference, but for us, 4-bed/4-bath house within 5 min. of WDW driving costing less than any place on-site is the only way to go.

Thanks for the tip! I think we have found our go to place in Orlando but if I ever can't get the dates I want from Pete it is great to have a back-up. We almost always rent homes when we vacation. I think people would be surprised to see how comparable the prices are to many of the hotels out there with way way way more space and options. :)

We love it too when going to Disney but I LOVE universal onsite hotels... and they allow goldens! Our dogs love us renting houses though so we try and please them.

VRBO has a lot of great vacation homes all over the place, we get almost half of our rental inquiries from them. Love, love, love it! Okay maybe thats a bit extreme...

We love it too when going to Disney but I LOVE universal onsite hotels... and they allow goldens! Our dogs love us renting houses though so we try and please them.

VRBO has a lot of great vacation homes all over the place, we get almost half of our rental inquiries from them. Love, love, love it! Okay maybe thats a bit extreme...

We had 2 Goldens. Our precious boy died January 7 this year. We now have 1 Golden and 1 German Shepherd. We want to take the Shepherd down with us one year...we just have to wait out this puppy stage. UGH!

Tina

I'm laughing that you feel obligated to cook and clean in a rental. :)

Yeah definitely different strokes for different folks. We pretty much use the house to sleep and breakfast in. My husband snores so horribly that having the ability to close the door on him guarantees less crabbiness the next day because we all get sleep! :cool1:

We had 2 Goldens. Our precious boy died January 7 this year. We now have 1 Golden and 1 German Shepherd. We want to take the Shepherd down with us one year...we just have to wait out this puppy stage. UGH!

Sorry to hear about the "late" golden. Ours is having health issues and we have no idea whats wrong with her. She's only six and has no arthritis or any other health problems... just decided to stop eating. :confused3

And with the puppy stage... Man I love puppies but its a love hate relationship! ;):rotfl: love how "fun" and "funny" they are... Do not like my $43 reefs being chewed up.

I'm laughing that you feel obligated to cook and clean in a rental. :)

Yeah definitely different strokes for different folks. We pretty much use the house to sleep and breakfast in. My husband snores so horribly that having the ability to close the door on him guarantees less crabbiness the next day because we all get sleep! :cool1:

The more you say the more I feel like maybe we just forgot to add you to our family tree... :rotfl2:

If you are looking for value around Disney/Universal please just walk off property/In my opinion both sets of resorts have there advantages based on if you like Disney or Universal...

However if you want to enjoy cheap Florida prices look no further than the Ale House....One on I drive and one across the street from Grand Cypress (downtown disney area).

Very good food and cheap beer all day long. You will get much more for your money worth and even if it takes some time out of your day....

you Universal hotel peeps still have front of the line and the Disney peeps hopefully have figured out out to be effective with fastpass to allow some time out of your day...

I have not read every post on this thread but I would just like to say, if you think the fast pass system at disney is so horrible, you are doing it wrong. We have been to Disney twice and using the fast pass system correctly we have never waited in line. We are usually even able to give unsuspecting families fast passes. Last year my kids gave a family of 4 our fast passes for Test Track when lines were 75 min long and you would have thought they won the lottery.

I would not keep going back to Disney if they got rid of fast pass. I can't even imagine.

I have not read every post on this thread but I would just like to say, if you think the fast pass system at disney is so horrible, you are doing it wrong. We have been to Disney twice and using the fast pass system correctly we have never waited in line. We are usually even able to give unsuspecting families fast passes. Last year my kids gave a family of 4 our fast passes for Test Track when lines were 75 min long and you would have thought they won the lottery.

I would not keep going back to Disney if they got rid of fast pass. I can't even imagine.

Agree 100%. We gave a family our fast pass tickets to Soaring because we got right on and didn't need them, but when we came out the passes were all gone. It was their first time to DW and didn't know how some of the passes run out so quickly. They were so happy and it made our day too.

Personally, having just returned from US, their system seems to create a big divide between those who have and those who have not. Not everyone can afford the prices of the hotels around there, but we are still paying good money for park tickets. Disney's system puts everyone on the same playing field--a guest is a guest no matter where they are staying and are all treated equally.

Early entry and late stays are enough incentives to stay on property at Disney. Fast passes should be available to everyone just like Disney does. JMHO

Agree 100%. We gave a family our fast pass tickets to Soaring because we got right on and didn't need them, but when we came out the passes were all gone. It was their first time to DW and didn't know how some of the passes run out so quickly. They were so happy and it made our day too.

Personally, having just returned from US, their system seems to create a big divide between those who have and those who have not. Not everyone can afford the prices of the hotels around there, but we are still paying good money for park tickets. Disney's system puts everyone on the same playing field--a guest is a guest no matter where they are staying and are all treated equally.

Early entry and late stays are enough incentives to stay on property at Disney. Fast passes should be available to everyone just like Disney does. JMHO

I agree about the great divide. planning our first universal trip and as soon as I found out about the express pass I started looking into a night at a universal hotel just so I wouldn't get screwed, which is exactly what they want you to do. A little research at Disney and even during a very crowded day you can use the fast pass sytem and ride things multiple times with no waiting. The longest I've ever waited at disney was 30 min and that was for the jungle cruise, which was obviously a waste but they weren't using fastpasses for it that day. We laugh about that all the time now.

I've just recently posted a question in this forum about January crowds and whether we should stay in the resort one night for the express passes. I don't even like to wait 20-30 min for rides so if I can walk on i'll pay the difference. The fast pass system at Disney has spoiled my entire family.

Debbie

Universal had a fast pass system years ago and then they changed to a paid system or onsite privilege. We go to Disney just not as much as Universal. If Disney had a bought pass I would go more. I just enjoy my time staying onsite at Universal where you don't have to plan months in advance on where to eat and rush around for fast passes.:thumbsup2

Sea world and Bush gardens also have a bought pass called Quick Queue.

Universal had a fast pass system years ago and then they changed to a paid system or onsite privilege. We go to Disney just not as much as Universal. If Disney had a bought pass I would go more. I just enjoy my time staying onsite at Universal where you don't have to plan months in advance on where to eat and rush around for fast passes.:thumbsup2

Sea world and Bush gardens also have a bought pass called Quick Queue.[/QUOTE

I understand where you are coming from. I wonder though if Disney had a pass you can purchase if there would really be any point since I think so many would purchase it. Even though I'm considering spending the extra money on staying at the resort, it might be worth it just to be stress free before we go and while we are there knowing that we have it without having to have a specific plan. In order for the FP to work at Disney you have to have a plan.... AND A GOOD ONE.

of course the hotels have perks for their guests.
why not.....

the Hilton, Starwood, Loew's, Ritz-Carlton, Trump, Marriott, etc all have membership perks.

back in the early 1990's, i did stay off site when going to universal.

once i started staying on site, i never ventured off to offsite hotels again.

there is more to the express pass perk for hotel guests.
when you stay on site, you have no worries or thoughts about transportation if you are there on your vacation.

i don't have to deal with a rental car, or finding ways to walk to the parks, or pay for a slow moving shuttle, if i had an off site hotel booked.
i can stay til 2 in the morning for hhn, be totally worn out but not have to think about traveling back to an offsite hotel.

i love the convenience(sp) of that.

i also enjoy the number of eateries on the property.
and, many of the local eateries will deliver food to the hotels.

city has food until it closes at 2:00 am.

the hotels have a complete menu to order room service 24 hours.

if i need to hit walgreens, it is a very short walk from pbh.

if i forgot some item that i need, i call star service on the room phone and it is delivered to me, at no cost.

the loews perks are good.

same goes when i am at the motherland for staying onsite.
once i am there, i have no need to find alternate transportation to the parks.
the busses do just fine.
food is there for my taking, except they do close earlier than my liking.

complete entertainment at both parks.

guests at uo that do not stay on site can buy the express pass plus.
it is an option when the lines are long in the summer and certain holiday times.

dtum, you mention prices on the hotel rooms that not everyone can afford it.

if you stay onsite for more than an overnight, there are great discounts available to the general public.

my stay at sports at the motherland will run me $127 for a weekend night.
during the week it is listed at $115. this is for standard room.
when i go, i am not in the value season there.

but, when i switch to the darkside hotel, i am paying $153.xx for a night at a deluxe. (rates are higher on weekends.) i stay for numerous nights and get the discount promo for those rates.

some homies figure what the cost for the family buying express pass plus and then the room rate.
there are times with a family of 4 or 5, then it is cheaper to do a room only one night at universal hotels. they get two full days of the unlimited express line usage then.
at the end of the second day, they can use the DU / mears transportation or cab to return to the motherland.
that is if the family is doing a 'day' visit to the darkside.

you can get 2 full days of using the express lines, unlimited usage.
you can one night onsite.
if you have the AAA, MIL, you can get a room discount.

when you total all those figures, it might come out advantages to book a room.

the title of the thread usually determines if i post or not.
i prefer to steer away from those threads.

i do both motherside and darkside stays on each vacation of 16 days.

i can not go to orlando and not do both parks/resorts.
i enjoy them both.

i have no dog in this fight so i'm out of here now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter