Here is why Universal is a better value than Disney (get those flames ready!)

But staying at a value only gives you free quick service dining. So anytime you want to eat at a table service restaurant, you are on your own.
Let's not forget the fact that AAA will give you a discount at most dining establishments at the theme parks and CityWalk restaurants which can add up as well.

Fancy,or nicer doesn't=value in my mind;sufficient,clean,and comfortable digs at a reasonable price(what is reasonable to me)equates value.

You can hotwire an offsite hotel beside Universal for about $40/night that is comparable in quality to the Disney value hotels. They usually include breakfast and are closer to the parks than any of the value hotels at Disney -- easily within walking distance. There are several counter service restaurants in the resort area. This vacation will put you way under the Disney vacation but be totally comparable. You won't get early entry or unlimited express passes but in September you won't need them.

Let's not forget the fact that AAA will give you a discount at most dining establishments at the theme parks and CityWalk restaurants which can add up as well.
I am a AAA member,and the discount,if I remember correctly is 10%.Saving $10 on a $100 tab is alright,but not that significant of a savings,unless you plan on spending$100's on food and merchandise,which I am not.I am the Undisputed Champion of "the bargain".For instance,I have a large envelope of $50,$25,and $10 Resataurant.com Gift certificates for MANY Orlando area eateries that cost me about $30-tops.So,I guess it just depends on what an individual is willing to pay,and what is important to that individuals tastes-whether it is lodging,food,clothing etc...Me,I'm going to pay the least that I can for what is acceptable to me,and others will likewise do the same.Vive la Diff'erence!:goodvibes

You can hotwire an offsite hotel beside Universal for about $40/night that is comparable in quality to the Disney value hotels. They usually include breakfast and are closer to the parks than any of the value hotels at Disney -- easily within walking distance. There are several counter service restaurants in the resort area. This vacation will put you way under the Disney vacation but be totally comparable. You won't get early entry or unlimited express passes but in September you won't need them.
Sounds good-I am willing to pay more than $40/night though! damo,you're killing me!:lmao: Hotwiring now!:goodvibes

I am a AAA member,and the discount,if I remember correctly is 10%.Saving $10 on a $100 tab is alright,but not that significant of a savings,unless you plan on spending$100's on food and merchandise,which I am not.I am the Undisputed Champion of "the bargain".For instance,I have a large envelope of $50,$25,and $10 Resataurant.com Gift certificates for MANY Orlando area eateries that cost me about $30-tops.So,I guess it just depends on what an individual is willing to pay,and what is important to that individuals tastes-whether it is lodging,food,clothing etc...Me,I'm going to pay the least that I can for what is acceptable to me,and others will likewise do the same.Vive la Diff'erence!:goodvibes
If going for "the bargain" is your goal, then there are several things you can do to save $ at Universal. I've seen some interesting tips shared on here (and seen some interesting things myself). Here are a few:

Invest in a refillable mug. $8 to start, cheap refills on fountain drinks (currently 85 cents) for as long as you own the mug. Free ice water refills.

You can get free ice water at any of the stands that offer fountain drinks. Just ask and they'll give you water!

Bring your own refillable water bottles. Refill at the water fountains throughout the parks. If you need flavor, bring some of the kool-aid/crystal light flavor packs with you.

Show your AAA card/AP (if you have one) everywhere. Most places will give you a discount!

Bring a small cooler with a couple of sandwiches, granola bars, etc with you.

If going for "the bargain" is your goal, then there are several things you can do to save $ at Universal. I've seen some interesting tips shared on here (and seen some interesting things myself). Here are a few:

Invest in a refillable mug. $8 to start, cheap refills on fountain drinks (currently 85 cents) for as long as you own the mug. Free ice water refills.

You can get free ice water at any of the stands that offer fountain drinks. Just ask and they'll give you water!

Bring your own refillable water bottles. Refill at the water fountains throughout the parks. If you need flavor, bring some of the kool-aid/crystal light flavor packs with you.

Show your AAA card/AP (if you have one) everywhere. Most places will give you a discount!

Bring a small cooler with a couple of sandwiches, granola bars, etc with you.
Great ideas-what size cooler could I bring?

Sounds good-I am willing to pay more than $40/night though! damo,you're killing me!:lmao: Hotwiring now!:goodvibes

I am serious! People have gotten the Hyatt Place across the street for around $60/night and the cheaper hotels for less. Hotwire/Priceline is a great way to get a bargain. If what you are looking for is a bare bones place still within walking distance, it can be done really, really cheaply.

There are lots of way to save money at Universal.

Staying at a Deluxe at Disney that is either a short walk from EPCoT or on the monorail line is the only way I will stay on Disney property. I despise their bus system. Staying on Universal property is a no brainer for me too. I stayed off-property there once and won't ever do it again. The EP benefit is big enough, but those monstrous parking garages wear me out too, so being able to walk or take a boat to IOA is ideal.

Staying at a Deluxe at Disney that is either a short walk from EPCoT or on the monorail line is the only way I will stay on Disney property. I despise their bus system. Staying on Universal property is a no brainer for me too. I stayed off-property there once and won't ever do it again. The EP benefit is big enough, but those monstrous parking garages wear me out too, so being able to walk or take a boat to IOA is ideal.

Well, we paid the extra 10-15 bucks for valet to elminate the parking garage issue and our off site accomodations were half the price of the Universal hotels thru Hotwire so I think paying the little extra for valet made the offsite a much better "value". We didn't have the perk of the Express Pass but found we didnt need it in mid May, many rides were very short waits so there are two sides to that coin...and of course, each to their own!

Fancy,or nicer doesn't=value in my mind;sufficient,clean,and comfortable digs at a reasonable price(what is reasonable to me)equates value.

Well, I also figure into the price the express pass. For only roughly $40 more a night, every member of your family can skip the lines to almost every ride. I am paying my money to have fun on a vaction and waiting in line does not=fun to me. I would GLADLY spend a few dollars more to ride whatever ride I wanted, whenever I wanted, without having to wait more than 10 minutes to do so. That to me is fun...waiting 90 minutes to ride a 2 minute ride at Disney is not fun. Along with that, you get a much better transporation system to and from the parks, a MUCH nicer room, better places to eat, and very nice pools. Sure you could go "cheap" at Disney, but you get what you paid for. Cheap beds, long transportation to and from the parks, boring, crowded pools, and nasty quick service food. Thats why I was comapring Disney Deluxe to Universal hotels. Even if you got FD while at Disney and at a Deluxe hotel, you would still save money at Universal without the dining, becuase there is no way your family can eat $1500 worth of food in 7 days.

While you might have a better deal going now becuase of the FD being offered, most of the year, Universal is by far the better option for all the benefits you get plus the lower cost.

EDIT: I wanted to make it clear that I would never pay for the express passes becuase that is just silly unless you are traveling alone. Comparing Disney to Universal rooms, I would pay more for a room at Universal because of that perk, but I am typically spending less on the room when compared to a Deluxe and even a Mod. Sure, it should be considered a free perk, but it is one that I don' mind spending a few extra dollars a night on the room to get.

Just for fun, I went and priced the trip we having coming up at Universal to see how much it would cost at Disney. We are staying at Royal for 7 nights in a King Suite (one bedroom with King bed, and other room with pull out sofa). So, I searched around Disney to find a hotel that offers a Suite close to the same that Universal offers and the price was SHOCKING! Both prices include tickets:

Universal - - Roughly $2840.

Disney - - One bedroom king suite at Coronado Springs (a MOD) $6973.55!!!

So, for the price of roughly the same room type (one bedroom king suite) for the same length of stay and tickets, we can do Universal TWICE and still have $1293 left over in cash! I can't believe people will spend that much money on a room at Disney! Are people really that crazy to pay almost $7000 for a room and tickets for 7 nights?!?! I thought the price of our suite was insane, but now I feel like Universal is just giving it away, lol.

I can't imagine that you think I/we would enjoy standing in looong lines,and I am paying money to NOT have fun,spen all day on busses,and eat subpar meals-my point is obviously being missed.Never waited 90 minutes for anything,and generally speaking,1 or 2 rides onmost things is sufficient for us.We also sleep very well,and don't consider the beds to be "cheap"-not sleep number beds,but comfortable enough.Are you serious?

Well, I also figure into the price the express pass. For only roughly $40 more a night, every member of your family can skip the lines to almost every ride. I am paying my money to have fun on a vaction and waiting in line does not=fun to me. I would GLADLY spend a few dollars more to ride whatever ride I wanted, whenever I wanted, without having to wait more than 10 minutes to do so. That to me is fun...waiting 90 minutes to ride a 2 minute ride at Disney is not fun. Along with that, you get a much better transporation system to and from the parks, a MUCH nicer room, better places to eat, and very nice pools. Sure you could go "cheap" at Disney, but you get what you paid for. Cheap beds, long transportation to and from the parks, boring, crowded pools, and nasty quick service food. Thats why I was comapring Disney Deluxe to Universal hotels. Even if you got FD while at Disney and at a Deluxe hotel, you would still save money at Universal without the dining, becuase there is no way your family can eat $1500 worth of food in 7 days.

While you might have a better deal going now becuase of the FD being offered, most of the year, Universal is by far the better option for all the benefits you get plus the lower cost.

EDIT: I wanted to make it clear that I would never pay for the express passes becuase that is just silly unless you are traveling alone. Comparing Disney to Universal rooms, I would pay more for a room at Universal because of that perk, but I am typically spending less on the room when compared to a Deluxe and even a Mod. Sure, it should be considered a free perk, but it is one that I don' mind spending a few extra dollars a night on the room to get.
If,and only if, you say so.:rolleyes1 I'm done here.:sad2:

We normally can only go during the summer, so yes I have waited over 90 minutes to ride some rides like Toy Story Mania and RnRC, and it is not fun at all. In fact, our last trip to Disney we never did Toy Story becuase we did not want to wait in line. Nobody likes to wait in line. However, when you go to Disney, it is something you have to do.

So, I can spend a little more (or sometimes less like my Suite comment above) and NOT have to wait in lines. I would much rather go to a place that I can get more for my money, and Universal offers me that. While I enjoy Disney, I feel like I do not get my moneys worth anymore. Once you have stayed at a Universal hotel and used the Express perk that you get, you will see how much nicer it is to have than a Fastpass system. You will quickly understand the value of having that pass.

If you are able to go during the very limited FD plan, then great! However, most people can not manage a trip at that time of year, so Universal offers the better value.

I disagree with this. Universal does not nickle and dime people for everything else. Does Disney offer a refillable cup that you can purchase and get cheap refills FOR LIFE? Nope. Same thing goes for the popcorn buckets. Lets face it, these are both bussiness and are in it to make money, but I totally disagree that Universal nickles and dimes it guest. Food, tickets, parking, etc all cost roughly the same or less at Universal compared to Disney. I still enjoy Disney, but I feel like I am getting more for my money when I go to Universal and never spend more than $1.00 for a soda and I never have to wait in line. I am on vaction to have fun, not spend an hour in a line to ride a two minute ride.

I was talking about hotels. I do agree with what you have said though. I dislike that disney doesnt have many options for refillable drinks/snacks etc.

And just to add to this, I dont stay onsite at disney and haven't since I was about 9 years old so I have no idea what Disney does/does not do with the same things. I just know its never "worth" it and not plausible because we cannot bring both our dogs. Like Badge has posted it's nearly 3 times as much to book onsite, so we just dont bother.

Who really waits in lines?

If you use fastpass correctly/get there when the park opens you should never have to wait in line anyway...

Did IOA day after Christmas (super busy time) the only thing in the entire park that had a wait was HP. Everything else was 5 minutes or less so Universal front of the line is pointless since there were no lines.

Who really waits in lines?

If you use fastpass correctly/get there when the park opens you should never have to wait in line anyway...

Did IOA day after Christmas (super busy time) the only thing in the entire park that had a wait was HP. Everything else was 5 minutes or less so Universal front of the line is pointless since there were no lines.

We must have been at two different parks then, becuase I was there Christmas day and the day after and the lines were huge! Not as big as summer, but they were still long. I remember seeing Spiderman with a 75 minute wait.

I also disagree about the Disney comment. Have you been during the summer months? You can only get a fastpass every two hours, or after your current one is up. Its not possible to get a Fastpass for every ride...you are going to have to wait, and the lines at disney can be insane sometimes. I get there the moment the parks open, and still wait in line.

I bet 99% of the people that use this forum have waiting in a line to ride something for longer than 30 minutes. Its a theme park, lines are to be excepted unless you have the Express pass, which cuts the wait time down to 5 minutes or less.

Yes, this -- really hard to compare Pop to any of the three Universal hotels. These are hotels that would be Deluxe if they were on Disney property -- but they're priced more like Disney's mods or less.

That said, if Damo's numbers are right, it looks like you can stay at a Universal resort and pay about the same price as you would at Disney's cheapest resorts -- which is kind of amazing, IMO.

And I agree -- I think 10 days at Universal is too much. There's just not enough to do there.

Oh I could spend 10 days there. :lmao: A few days by the pool in a cabana, few days in the parks. Oh yes...10 days.:thumbsup2

;);););););)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter