Here is why Universal is a better value than Disney (get those flames ready!)

I must say that the one line I *don't* mind waiting in at Disney is Expedition Everest. It has some of the coolest theming ever done.

Just for fun, I went and priced the trip we having coming up at Universal to see how much it would cost at Disney. We are staying at Royal for 7 nights in a King Suite (one bedroom with King bed, and other room with pull out sofa). So, I searched around Disney to find a hotel that offers a Suite close to the same that Universal offers and the price was SHOCKING! Both prices include tickets:

Universal - - Roughly $2840.

Disney - - One bedroom king suite at Coronado Springs (a MOD) $6973.55!!!

So, for the price of roughly the same room type (one bedroom king suite) for the same length of stay and tickets, we can do Universal TWICE and still have $1293 left over in cash! I can't believe people will spend that much money on a room at Disney! Are people really that crazy to pay almost $7000 for a room and tickets for 7 nights?!?! I thought the price of our suite was insane, but now I feel like Universal is just giving it away, lol.
To make a more fair assessment of hotel prices, all you should include are hotel prices, right? I am staying off-site as I think they are both too expensive.

Just for fun I tried POR (a mod, not a suite, standard view, no tickets, 1 adult) for your dates = 1491
And then Royal - (not a suite, standard view, no tickets, 1 adult) for your dates = 2163.41

I am a Disney lover, but love Universal too. Just throwing more numbers out there to illustrate the other side of your example.

Well, based on your countdown timer, it seems like you are going in Sept. This happens to be when Disney is offering a FREE dining plan for hotel guests which make staying onsite (even at a value) well worth the cost becuase your food is free! First seven days in Sept are $2072 at Pop with tickets and free dining.

Now, I went and priced just the hotel for both places.

The same dates at pop with just hotel will cost $692.

The same dates at coronado with just hotel will cost $1314

The same dates at AK Lodge with just hotel will cost $1991

At Universal, Royal will cost $1207

Now, the Royal hotel offers more perks and is the same quailty as AK Lodge, so it is a lot cheaper to stay at Universal than at a comparable room at Disney.

Now, just for fun becuase the price of a package with FD at Pop seemed REALLY high considering the room was only $692 and I was shocked to see the outcome. If you were to book your tickets and room not on the package your price would be $1896. So, the "Free Dining Plan" is not really free. You are in fact paying $176 for it. I have noticed this with Disney for nearly every package offer they ever do. It seems like you are getting a better deal since it is a "Package" but you normally end up paying more. This is the main reason why we never book packages, becuase 90% of the time it is cheaper to do it alone. Granted, you will eat more than $176 worth of food, but it is not "Free" like Disney claims.

Now, if you are paying anything close to $692 for your hotel room offsite, I would suggest staying onsite. It is much better than staying offsite becuase of the bus system and not having to pay for parking and stuff.

Well, based on your countdown timer, it seems like you are going in Sept. This happens to be when Disney is offering a FREE dining plan for hotel guests which make staying onsite (even at a value) well worth the cost becuase your food is free! First seven days in Sept are $2072 at Pop with tickets and free dining.

Now, I went and priced just the hotel for both places.

The same dates at pop with just hotel will cost $692.

The same dates at coronado with just hotel will cost $1314

The same dates at AK Lodge with just hotel will cost $1991

At Universal, Royal will cost $1207

Now, the Royal hotel offers more perks and is the same quailty as AK Lodge, so it is a lot cheaper to stay at Universal than at a comparable room at Disney.

Now, just for fun becuase the price of a package with FD at Pop seemed REALLY high considering the room was only $692 and I was shocked to see the outcome. If you were to book your tickets and room not on the package your price would be $1896. So, the "Free Dining Plan" is not really free. You are in fact paying $176 for it. I have noticed this with Disney for nearly every package offer they ever do. It seems like you are getting a better deal since it is a "Package" but you normally end up paying more. This is the main reason why we never book packages, becuase 90% of the time it is cheaper to do it alone. Granted, you will eat more than $176 worth of food, but it is not "Free" like Disney claims.

Now, if you are paying anything close to $692 for your hotel room offsite, I would suggest staying onsite. It is much better than staying offsite becuase of the bus system and not having to pay for parking and stuff.

I already own park tickets because when we went last time we bought 10 day water park/park hopper no expiration tickets. Also I cannot stay at pop because I have four kids, unless we get two rooms. Believe me I have been trying to convince myself that staying on site would be the smarter option lol. DH likes the busses and it would mean less for me to do but including tips and everything we would be paying about 750 more for onsite at POR (which is our cheapest option since my youngest doesn't count right now since she is under 3, so we can stay at AB @ POR)

As far as the 176 this promotion is called the memories promotion and includes the purchase of a 20 page photopass photo book so that bumps the price up (though admittedly 176 for a 20 page book is :scared1: )

The off site condo is about 450 so I think it is what we are going to stick with it. I cannot lie though, I compare numbers and try to make them work in favor of onsite :rolleyes1

I already own park tickets because when we went last time we bought 10 day water park/park hopper no expiration tickets. Also I cannot stay at pop because I have four kids, unless we get two rooms. Believe me I have been trying to convince myself that staying on site would be the smarter option lol. DH likes the busses and it would mean less for me to do but including tips and everything we would be paying about 750 more for onsite at POR (which is our cheapest option since my youngest doesn't count right now since she is under 3, so we can stay at AB @ POR)

As far as the 176 this promotion is called the memories promotion and includes the purchase of a 20 page photopass photo book so that bumps the price up (though admittedly 176 for a 20 page book is :scared1: )

The off site condo is about 450 so I think it is what we are going to stick with it. I cannot lie though, I compare numbers and try to make them work in favor of onsite :rolleyes1

I think what your doing is best. Staying onsite can cost a lot if you have more than 2 kids since most rooms only hold 4 people.

I also agree that the $176 that you are paying is a LOT for a 20 page book. Thats about $9 a page. I better be a massive book, or have some gold in it to make it worth the price, lol.

We must have been at two different parks then, becuase I was there Christmas day and the day after and the lines were huge! Not as big as summer, but they were still long. I remember seeing Spiderman with a 75 minute wait.

I also disagree about the Disney comment. Have you been during the summer months? You can only get a fastpass every two hours, or after your current one is up. Its not possible to get a Fastpass for every ride...you are going to have to wait, and the lines at disney can be insane sometimes. I get there the moment the parks open, and still wait in line.

I bet 99% of the people that use this forum have waiting in a line to ride something for longer than 30 minutes. Its a theme park, lines are to be excepted unless you have the Express pass, which cuts the wait time down to 5 minutes or less.

Hmm...was there day after X-mas and was done with the park by the time the Bears kicked off (1PM) and that included 2 rides on FJ and the line for the wand shop. Everything else literally was walk on. Waited 20 minutes for Hulk and that was only to do the front row.

For part 2 if that is the case fast pass is being done incorrectly. First thing is always have one. Go to TSM/whatever the major parks ride is at opening and grab one and ride. The return window will be much less than two hours. Continue to do this nonstop throughout the day and also now which rides it is not completely needed for.

Also the window does not matter at all. Your 8:40 to 9:40 AM fastpass works just fine at 2PM in the middle of the day when it is most crowded. So build up on all the fastpasses in the morning and take your time seeing other shows/rides without fastpass and then use the FP for the major attractions.

If it is used correctly there is no need to be waiting in lines. From all of my trips prefastpass on Spring Break (one of the busiest weeks of the year) we waited in much longer lines/got less done. Use fastpass correctly and you will be FINE.

Who really waits in lines?

If you use fastpass correctly/get there when the park opens you should never have to wait in line anyway...

Did IOA day after Christmas (super busy time) the only thing in the entire park that had a wait was HP. Everything else was 5 minutes or less so Universal front of the line is pointless since there were no lines.

We were in Disney last October. Got to DHS and went to Toy Story 30 minutes after the park opened. Fast Passes were GONE for the entire day.

But staying at a value only gives you free quick service dining. So anytime you want to eat at a table service restaurant, you are on your own.

We stayed at Pop last year and got FD. We upgraded to the Table Service and it was only $200 for all 4 of us. So it isn't a lot more but it does add up!

I am really not comparing hotels per se,just cost of trip and benefits-as I have said previously,I personally will not pay $150+ to "sleep" anywhere-We vacation for activities,not hotel rooms.FD at WDW beats ANY US/IOA package,discount,or anything they offer,that's a fact can be disputed,but unsuccessfully.

This is true. When you get FD at a value resort it is a lot cheaper than US/IOA. ONLY because the cost of food is taken out of the equation. That being said....staying at US/IOA is much more relaxing for DH and I than Disney is. We also enjoy the fun activities the hotel provides for the kids in the evening. The pool at HRH blow away the pools at Pop. I look at US/IOA as Disney without all the fluff. Disney has a lot of rides that my kids don't ride. We have enjoyed Disney and thought it was so fun. But the crowds and the bus rides are just no fun.

We stayed at Pop last year and got FD. We upgraded to the Table Service and it was only $200 for all 4 of us. So it isn't a lot more but it does add up!

popcorn::im still here:laughing:lurking, but wanted to comment re the FDP for U regulars considering WDW as a noob to DP...

don't forget to factor in OOP costs of 18 - 20% tip on TS meals. The servers really depend on the them to survive. A typical 'bill' on the DP for 4 'adults' is approx $200 per TS meal = another $40 a day to be budgeted.

Just priced a 10 night stay at Royal Pacific-$2463.80. No tickets,no nothing!!:scared1: Someone PLEASE let me know how to do this!

Stay off--site. Seriously. I rent a four bedroom home with a pool that is ten minutes from disney every time I go down there. I pay $475 for the week, more if I need pool heat.

Yeah, I don't get any towel animals. What I do get is not being crammed into a tiny room with the whole family. instead we each have our own room to watch what we want at the end of a long day, our own pool to float in, in a screen porch. Our own kitchen, a pool table, a lovely gated community...

Seriously. I did the stay at Disney(port orleans), it is so not worth it. Stay off-site, save bunch of money doing so and you will not regret it. Oh and having your own car to leave when you want to instead of waiting for standing room only buses? It rocks.

Stay off--site. Seriously. I rent a four bedroom home with a pool that is ten minutes from disney every time I go down there. I pay $475 for the week, more if I need pool heat.

Yeah, I don't get any towel animals. What I do get is not being crammed into a tiny room with the whole family. instead we each have our own room to watch what we want at the end of a long day, our own pool to float in, in a screen porch. Our own kitchen, a pool table, a lovely gated community...

Seriously. I did the stay at Disney(port orleans), it is so not worth it. Stay off-site, save bunch of money doing so and you will not regret it. Oh and having your own car to leave when you want to instead of waiting for standing room only buses? It rocks.

Care to share where you find a 4 bed with a pool for $475? I've looked quite a bit at those rentals and don't believe I have ever seen that cheap.

Care to share where you find a 4 bed with a pool for $475? I've looked quite a bit at those rentals and don't believe I have ever seen that cheap.

My apologies, I was going from memory. It was actually $485 and that was with the returning customers discount. I will PM you the link.

Stacy

We were in Disney last October. Got to DHS and went to Toy Story 30 minutes after the park opened. Fast Passes were GONE for the entire day.

get there at 8 I guess?

I will say that TSM at DHS is ridiculous...The nice thing at DCA is that there is no FP and the line rarely gets over 50 minutes...and in my opinion the only ride that is worth it.

Stay off-site, save bunch of money doing so and you will not regret it. Oh and having your own car to leave when you want to instead of waiting for standing room only buses? It rocks.

I had a time share with 2 bedrooms for 2 couples 10 minutes away from WDW. Each couple took their own car. I paid $150 for the week. I hated it. I'll still stay on property from now on. Each person's experience is different. I prefer the convenience and comfort of staying on property at Disney *and* at Universal.

popcorn::im still here:laughing:lurking, but wanted to comment re the FDP for U regulars considering WDW as a noob to DP...

don't forget to factor in OOP costs of 18 - 20% tip on TS meals. The servers really depend on the them to survive. A typical 'bill' on the DP for 4 'adults' is approx $200 per TS meal = another $40 a day to be budgeted.

Oh yes..we tip. Just like we tip at Hard Rock, The Kitchen, Margaritaville, Bubba Gumps, Mythos, etc. We have NEVER had a TS meal be $200. The most TS meal for our family was $100. That was at Chef Mickey's. Since that is a buffet we don't tip the standard 15-20%. Another meal that was expensive was CRT, but it was just DD and I so that wasn't horrible.

We enjoy staying at Pop when we have gone. I love the ease of not having to drive anywhere, and not having to pay to park everyday in each park. The perks of staying onsite (when they are having FD) outweighs everything else for our family.

When you get FD...it is cheaper to stay at Pop. We like the ease of staying onsite.

get there at 8 I guess?

I will say that TSM at DHS is ridiculous...The nice thing at DCA is that there is no FP and the line rarely gets over 50 minutes...and in my opinion the only ride that is worth it.

I am not going to do a mad dash to get out to the parks for a FP. It isn't worth it. Although I will say that my DD has been a lucky kid the only two times we have been to Disney. Both years she was chosen to be the Princess at Beauty and the Beast. Last year they gave her the Beauty and the Beast on Blu Ray!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter