How Did You Like The Lion King in 3D?!

Went to see it last night and the 3D was disappointing. I've seen nearly every Disney release in 3D and this was among the worst as far as being worth the extra ticket price. Hardly a difference and I'd say 2D would be the way to go because then at least the colors are a bit brighter.

Regardless, I was so glad to see the movie on the big screen for the first time (I missed it in its original run in '94) but of course watched it plenty of times on VHS, DVD, and the Broadway and theme park shows and love it.

im so jealous its my FAVOURITE film of all time, and i live in the UK so it doesn't get realised till 14th oct... when i will be in WDW for 3 weeks... HUFF but sooo excited about my trip :-):simba::simba::simba::simba::simba:

It was awesome! I highly recommend it. I wasn't sure how much I would like 3D but I absolutely LOVED IT. I would definitely go see it again, even if it means paying another $12. Brings back so many memories, I felt like a kid again! (So did the audience, everyone clapped after Circle of Life, Hakuna Matata, and when Simba takes his place back in the Pridelands! It was great)

Thumbs up! First time seeing the movie... I know, I know. I've seen the stage show and all the shows/movies in WDW, so I knew I was going to see it on the big screen as soon as I saw the ads on TV.

3D was good, definitely not invasive or distracting. The beginning scene was great, but overall, it wasn't blatently obvious it was in 3D. Our theatre clapped many times, too.

And, I cried... more than once.

Wow, I don't think that happens too much in movies...everyone clapping together...:cloud9:

Went to see it last night and the 3D was disappointing. I've seen nearly every Disney release in 3D and this was among the worst as far as being worth the extra ticket price. Hardly a difference and I'd say 2D would be the way to go because then at least the colors are a bit brighter.

Regardless, I was so glad to see the movie on the big screen for the first time (I missed it in its original run in '94) but of course watched it plenty of times on VHS, DVD, and the Broadway and theme park shows and love it.

It seems others feel the same way....I think Disney needs to build their own theater in DHS and show all their movies in 3D! Let's see the public reaction then!:laughing:

im so jealous its my FAVOURITE film of all time, and i live in the UK so it doesn't get realised till 14th oct... when i will be in WDW for 3 weeks... HUFF but sooo excited about my trip :-):simba::simba::simba::simba::simba:

Aww...When it opens there, is it for only two weeks like in the US? Because even if does open later, if it stays open longer, the UK has it better!:laughing:

Any movie that starts and ends with a round of applause is just primed to be a good movie.

I actually enjoyed the 3D... it wasn't 'in your face' gimicky gags rather added depth and a unique visual impact that left me in awe.

Worth taking the kiddos to see it!

Just read that Lion King will be the number 1 movie at the box office this weekend. I think that is pretty amazing!

We are going with a group of people to see it tomorrow and will see it in 3D. I'm not a fan of 3D movies, particularly if they were not filmed to be 3D but so looking forward to seeing the Lion King on the big screen.

Hey guys, I also have a poll pertaining to the release of the Special Edition DVD/Bluray. Vote on that too!

It's the one about the Diamond Edition, if you have not seen it.

I am not a big 3D fan either. I took my nieces and nephew this afternoon and they really wanted 3D. Since I got the tickets free from my boss (SO thankful for that!!!), I upgraded to the 3D. I really thought I would be disappointed but I think that considering it was not originally made for 3D, they did a good job. Then again, I enjoy the movie so much it probably would not have mattered if it was 2 or 3D!

This was a great pre-Disney trip movie to see! :goodvibes

We LOVED it! I was a little nervous spending the $ to see it in 3D since we have the dvd at home, but it was well worth it. I teared up a few times--I just lost my dad in June, so I think some of the scenes were extra emotional for me. Overall, I think that they did a really good job making this movie 3D considering it was not originally made in 3D format. I also absolutely loved that I was able to share the experience of seeing the movie on the big screen w/ my 4 year old DS :)

All of a sudden DD has changed her mind & HAS to see it in 3D, so we'll do that tomorrow. I guess I can suffer through it. It's not a real long movie.

I actually appreciated the lack of "pop out" 3D, instead it was more depth and layers.

EXACTLY!!
My DD5 was singing out loud. So cute.
Major Domo's pie - my duh moment - when Zazu says he is Mufasa's Major Domo. I've seen it 10-12 times and never caught that. Never saw it on the big screen the first time it came out. 3D was awesome.

I'm excited about seeing it! The Lion King is one of my favorite Disney movies! Judging from the replies, it seems it's worth seeing it in 3D. My S/O needs a bit of convincing however, he hates 3D movies! :sad2:

Ok, dumb question but I can't find the answer online so I figured one my fellow Disers may know....it says it only be theaters for 2 weeks but what exactly does that mean? Would like to take the kiddos but can't go this upcoming weekend and Oct 1st would be perfect, but not sure it will still be out? Do they literally mean 14 days or will it still be in theaters for that entire weekend?

Ok, dumb question but I can't find the answer online so I figured one my fellow Disers may know....it says it only be theaters for 2 weeks but what exactly does that mean? Would like to take the kiddos but can't go this upcoming weekend and Oct 1st would be perfect, but not sure it will still be out? Do they literally mean 14 days or will it still be in theaters for that entire weekend?

That's a good question! I would think that they would have it open until that weekend was over, because it's coming out on DVD right after its 2 week showing in theaters, which is the 4rth of October. But I'm not sure.

Ok, I broke down and called my theater (I am a little spoiled by the internet I guess!) and he told me it will run though September 29th, so it will literally be 2 weeks.

Eh. Not worth it in 3D.

Paid $41 to have my family watch a movie we have seen millions of times at home. I felt stupid...

The movie is not set up to be in 3D.

When "I Just Can't Wait to be King" came on, I pretended I was in Phillar Magic. :goodvibes

And I noticed something really funny that I never caught before - when Zazu is giving the morning report, he says two really cheesy, funny lines that I never noticed. "So I told the elephants to forget, but they cant..." and "You know how cheetahs never prosper!"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter