• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

I've seen a couple people mention the disturbance behind Dorian. Does anyone know how long it took Dorian to make it to florida (tomorrow) once the disturbance was observed? Wondering about me trip 18-26th.
I’m watching it but there doesn’t seem to be any concern that it will develop into anything threatening at this time, I’m breathing easier this morning after this latest analysis. This from weather.com

Eastern Atlantic
Another area of disturbed weather in the far eastern Atlantic could also develop into a tropical depression soon.​
This tropical disturbance just west of the Cabo Verde Islands is producing showers and thunderstorms and is getting better organized. Meteorologists are referring to this system as Invest 91L, a naming convention used to identify systems the National Hurricane Center (NHC) is monitoring for possible development.​
The NHC has given this system a high chance of development, and a tropical depression could form in a day or so as it tracks across the eastern tropical Atlantic.​
Areas to Watch​
(The potential areas of tropical development according to the latest National Hurricane Center outlook are shown by polygons, color-coded by the chance of development over the next five days. An "X" indicates the location of a current disturbance.)​
At this time, computer models suggest that this system will turn more northwestward and will likely remain over the open waters of the Atlantic into early next week. It is not expected to be a land threat at least through early next week.

Dorian is trapped between two high pressure systems - one over the states and one in the Atlantic. They are projecting the one in the Atlantic will steer it north. But if the one over the states shifts to the east, this thing is headed into FL. Hopefully they are all correct and she heads north.

Trust me, it's very stressful with this storm and we felt on a rollercoaster ride, with how rapidly the storm changed and progressed. We were there and the low crowds were great, but something definitely felt "off", we knew something big was going on but it wasn't good.

Don't kick yourself, I told dh I never want that stress again about Disney. When we finally got to MK on Friday night for the party we had been driving for two days, the whole time hearing bits and pieces of the weather. When I saw the castle I cried, I was so relieved we made it.

It still might be fine at Disney and I really hope is. There's been enough death and destruction with this storm already and it needs to stop. But trying to enjoy Disney while feeling on pins and needles is difficult. We did make the best of it and we're home safe.

I hear you...I gave up Oga's because we left early!
I totally get the stress. I flew out here before any news of this storm. I found out 3 days into my trip about a tropical storm. I was originally suppose to fly out today. I feel like this trip has been nothing but stress and worry. I love Disney but all this stress has made me want a break from it.

A lot of people forget, October is the month that Florida gets hit with the the most hurricanes.
Someone who lives there told me that to be safe don't plan anything until after the end of October. Do we know if there is a record of anything after November 1st?

As of right now we fly out on Friday early morning and the weather seems to be decent by then. We are keeping an eye on it and will change our days to the right if need be. Fingers crossed.

We are due to fly into MCO from Philly on Thursday 5:40AM flight. I'm hoping that the storm will be out to sea and everyone will be safe. We've been going in September since they started offering free dining. Had to cancel 2 years ago because of a hurricane, and have avoided a few others. I think this may be the last September trip because the stress is to overwhelming.

We are due to fly into MCO from Philly on Thursday 5:40AM flight. I'm hoping that the storm will be out to sea and everyone will be safe. We've been going in September since they started offering free dining. Had to cancel 2 years ago because of a hurricane, and have avoided a few others. I think this may be the last September trip because the stress is to overwhelming.
pixiedust:

Someone who lives there told me that to be safe don't plan anything until after the end of October. Do we know if there is a record of anything after November 1st?

Hurricane season does goes through November 30th, but the activity is much less in November than in September and October. And usually storms that form in November form east or southeast of Florida and move across the open Atlantic.

The following shows hurricane climatology for September, October, and November from NOAA:

September Hurricane Climatology

October Hurricane Climatology

November Hurricane Climatology

Hurricane season does goes through November 30th, but the activity is much less in November than in September and October. And usually storms that form in November form east or southeast of Florida and move across the open Atlantic.

The following shows hurricane climatology for September, October, and November from NOAA:

September Hurricane Climatology

October Hurricane Climatology

November Hurricane Climatology
Thank you for this. I definitely feel safe enough to plan a November trip. Of course one never knows but the odds seem to be in November's favor.

Trust me, it's very stressful with this storm and we felt on a rollercoaster ride, with how rapidly the storm changed and progressed. We were there and the low crowds were great, but something definitely felt "off", we knew something big was going on but it wasn't good.

Don't kick yourself, I told dh I never want that stress again about Disney. When we finally got to MK on Friday night for the party we had been driving for two days, the whole time hearing bits and pieces of the weather. When I saw the castle I cried, I was so relieved we made it.

It still might be fine at Disney and I really hope is. There's been enough death and destruction with this storm already and it needs to stop. But trying to enjoy Disney while feeling on pins and needles is difficult. We did make the best of it and we're home safe.
We were supposed to go down Friday evening and fly back yesterday. Turns out we would have been fine, but I would have been stressed out the whole weekend and probably would not have enjoyed myself.
I was stressed out at home reading all the reports, would have definitely put a damper on our trip if I had been stressing out the whole time we were there!

Glad it all worked out for you @mckennarose and you’re home safe and sound! Hope WDW just gets the bits of wind and rain they are now predicting and everyone there now stays safe!

As of right now we fly out on Friday early morning and the weather seems to be decent by then. We are keeping an eye on it and will change our days to the right if need be. Fingers crossed.
We fly in Thursday afternoon and when we received the weather waiver info from our airline yesterday, I panicked a bit and started thinking about ways to move our flights/add a night to our reservation. But DH said let's wait until Tuesday and see what happens. So here I am, waiting to see what happens! lol It seems as of right now we should be ok, but we'll see what today brings.

We have a F&W Seminar booked Friday that I'm looking forward to and I don't want to cancel it unless I'm forced to (realizing we won't get our money back if we do cancel).

I get the desire to have a stress free vacation and a hurricane definitely causes stress. That said, this is the 4th year in a row that a hurricane threatened either a WDW vacation or our annual 10 day Myrtle Beach family vacay and I've learned to shrug it off. If Dorian were to march over to Orlando that could impact our upcoming F&W trip and we're due to head to Myrtle next Wed so Dorian is playing a double header with us. As Mark Twain said, 'Everybody complains about the weather but nobody does anything about it'.

Bill From PA

BTW, none of the threats caused a problem.

So the early park closures today don't mean that the parks are all closed tomorrow correct? Also at this point are we expecting MCO to be open Friday afternoon? I saw someone say that MCO should reopen on Wednesday, but won't that actually be when the weather is over the Orlando area?

So the early park closures today don't mean that the parks are all closed tomorrow correct? Also at this point are we expecting MCO to be open Friday afternoon? I saw someone say that MCO should reopen on Wednesday, but won't that actually be when the weather is over the Orlando area?
The effects of the storm are expected to be much less than initially thought. If it stays on the current projected path, WDW area only has a 30% chance of receiving TS force winds. As the storm picks up speed and pulls to the northeast, it will quickly take the outer bands of rain and wind with it. Orlando should be clear by later Wednesday.

I have not checked to see if WDW ops will be returning to normal Wednesday. That will probably be a decision made this evening or tomorrow morning.

I’m watching it but there doesn’t seem to be any concern that it will develop into anything threatening at this time, I’m breathing easier this morning after this latest analysis. This from weather.com

Eastern Atlantic
Another area of disturbed weather in the far eastern Atlantic could also develop into a tropical depression soon.​
This tropical disturbance just west of the Cabo Verde Islands is producing showers and thunderstorms and is getting better organized. Meteorologists are referring to this system as Invest 91L, a naming convention used to identify systems the National Hurricane Center (NHC) is monitoring for possible development.​
The NHC has given this system a high chance of development, and a tropical depression could form in a day or so as it tracks across the eastern tropical Atlantic.​
Areas to Watch​
(The potential areas of tropical development according to the latest National Hurricane Center outlook are shown by polygons, color-coded by the chance of development over the next five days. An "X" indicates the location of a current disturbance.)​
At this time, computer models suggest that this system will turn more northwestward and will likely remain over the open waters of the Atlantic into early next week. It is not expected to be a land threat at least through early next week.
Thank you so much for the information. I am scheduled to fly into MOC on Saturday and I try to get as much information as possible!

Spoke with front desk. If parks open tomorrow it will be a later open. Curfew goes until 6 am. County checks roads first, then go ahead for wdw buses etc. Nobody knows really about tomorrow. They will need time to move equip back in. Assume after close today, they are moving, storing things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter