Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

I know MCO shows expected openings tomorrow evening, but my flight from Canada still says on time for tomorrow at 11am.

Dorian is trapped between two high pressure systems - one over the states and one in the Atlantic. They are projecting the one in the Atlantic will steer it north. But if the one over the states shifts to the east, this thing is headed into FL. Hopefully they are all correct and she heads north.
Every model there is now shows WDW totally in the clear and FL itself almost all the way out of even a cone of uncertainty. So all are in agreement at this point. Not sure I've ever seen all models agree to something so I guess there's no chance the high pressure you are talking about steers it anywhere to FL. If there was, at least one model would show that, no?
Granted, when talking about Mother Nature it's impossible to say never but odds must be in FL favor this time.

Oh, noticed the rainfall total for Orlando area is down to pretty much a normal summer day. I think the percentage of chance of rain is up but totals won't be much different than a good old pop up storm. I think we had the same amounts of rain on Friday (vicious storm moved through Epcot, while we were shopping in Mousegears, thankfully)

Spoke with front desk. If parks open tomorrow it will be a later open. Curfew goes until 6 am. County checks roads first, then go ahead for wdw buses etc. Nobody knows really about tomorrow. They will need time to move equip back in. Assume after close today, they are moving, storing things.
There's always a good chance the curfew will be lifted well before then with the newest forecast.

Last edited:
Spoke with front desk. If parks open tomorrow it will be a later open. Curfew goes until 6 am. County checks roads first, then go ahead for wdw buses etc. Nobody knows really about tomorrow. They will need time to move equip back in. Assume after close today, they are moving, storing things.
The only county with a current announced curfew is Osceola.

We fly in Thursday afternoon and when we received the weather waiver info from our airline yesterday, I panicked a bit and started thinking about ways to move our flights/add a night to our reservation. But DH said let's wait until Tuesday and see what happens. So here I am, waiting to see what happens! lol It seems as of right now we should be ok, but we'll see what today brings.

We have a F&W Seminar booked Friday that I'm looking forward to and I don't want to cancel it unless I'm forced to (realizing we won't get our money back if we do cancel).
Yep, I was panicking to! We got a weather waiver from Delta yesterday, and like your husband, mine also said we will wait until Thursday and see how it all plays out.

MCO is expecting to reopen at 5pm Wed. FAA link. (This doesn’t mean flights will actually happen, it’s subject to change, it takes a while to get an airport up and running, blah, blah, blah etc can be discussed on the transport board as per mod request but in the spirit of present realities FYI.)

I just checked and airlines are still selling flights into MCO for tomorrow morning

I've got a friend who works for one of the outlying towns around Orlando. She was supposed to be in for emergency services this weekend, then this morning, then tonight - but they just texted her and said they're not going to activate emergency services at all now and to just resume normal working hours tomorrow.

:oops:

It's a TRAP!

:D

Watching the weather closely as we fly in on Friday. I also have the MNSSHP on Sunday but I imagine everything will be well passed by then. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that other disturbance. Being from New Orleans watching hurricanes and disturbances is normal for me but as this upcoming weekend was the only break in our schedule for the rest of the year... I'm hoping the weather will be kind to me. I guess we'll see... Everyone at Disney, in Florida and the east coast, and obviously those out traveling stay safe!!

Someone who lives there told me that to be safe don't plan anything until after the end of October. Do we know if there is a record of anything after November 1st?
We are due to fly into MCO from Philly on Thursday 5:40AM flight. I'm hoping that the storm will be out to sea and everyone will be safe. We've been going in September since they started offering free dining. Had to cancel 2 years ago because of a hurricane, and have avoided a few others. I think this may be the last September trip because the stress is to overwhelming.

Hurricanes are the exact reason free dining was ever offered in the first place. Four hurricanes hit Florida 2004. Free dining was offered for the first time ever in 2005 because so many people were avoiding booking in September after that. There was a span of about 10 years where no hurricanes hit Florida, so many people forgot what could happen. I bet next September will see fewer bookings again after all this.

Some good news - Dorian has been downgraded to a category 2 hurricane. It is currently moving NW at 2mph. It would be VERY surprised if WDW didn't open normally tomorrow. According to FAA, MCO is due to open at 5pm tomorrow - that may change depending on the next update at 5pm EST. Think it's likely flights could resume though.

69586926_2538734272853697_3276404029248241664_o.jpg

Good news for many reason. It needs to leave the Bahmas. I like that it is being downgraded because after hitting the US it is hitting my family in Canada. So after worrying about the friends I made in the Bahamas, my trip and now I got to work about my family. So Dorion, you and I are not friends.

Also be kind to people who are named Dorian.

FLL announced reopening at noon TODAY. All good signs. Anyone with plans Thursday or later should keep an eye but not worry too much! Would be very surprising if come Thursday you could tell anything happened at WDW and MCO. We fly in Thursday, but IF I were flying in Wednesday morn I would be keeping a close eye on things. WDW should be fine, but make a plan for what you will do if MCO is closed most of the day tomorrow.

Wondering what crowds will be like Thursday and through the weekend. I think a lot of people who were going the past weekend switched to this coming weekend. Thoughts?

Some good news - Dorian has been downgraded to a category 2 hurricane. It is currently moving NW at 2mph. It would be VERY surprised if WDW didn't open normally tomorrow. According to FAA, MCO is due to open at 5pm tomorrow - that may change depending on the next update at 5pm EST. Think it's likely flights could resume though.

69586926_2538734272853697_3276404029248241664_o.jpg
There will an update at 2pm EDT.

FLL announced reopening at noon TODAY. All good signs. Anyone with plans Thursday or later should keep an eye but not worry too much! Would be very surprising if come Thursday you could tell anything happened at WDW and MCO. We fly in Thursday, but IF I were flying in Wednesday morn I would be keeping a close eye on things. WDW should be fine, but make a plan for what you will do if MCO is closed most of the day tomorrow.

Wondering what crowds will be like Thursday and through the weekend. I think a lot of people who were going the past weekend switched to this coming weekend. Thoughts?
Probably some, but I’m guessing a lot of people who moved their trips moved it to another 3 day weekend.

I’ll be surprised if we see meaningful shifts in attendance from Dorian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter