Hurricane Dorian / WDW Theme Parks Discussion

It appears not everyone feels this way but I’d rather MCO be safe than sorry. They might have announced a closure to early but this storm was thought to be moving a bit faster at that point. Now it’s really slowed and they still aren’t sure what exactly it’s going to do. It is not an easy operational task to make a decision to shut down a major airport like that. Orlando also makes these decisions in conjunction with airlines and the national weather service. I’d hope you’d all rather have MCO or any airport close prematurely than risk everything and not close.
I too wouldn't want to be in their shoes and having to make the call
That said, in all the closures they've never announced all the way back on Thursday that they'll close on Monday. Most closures are much more like the one done today, 24, maybe 36 hours in advance. The one they announced and rescinded was done too far out, without question. I'm sure someone thought this would give airlines more time to adjust, and passengers but too soon is not any better than short notice.

I know it’s sematics but the way too early call from MCO (that was rescinded) was Friday evening not Thursday. I have no issue with them announcing closures starting late tonight. The storm is moving as predicted for the last 36-48 hours (that north shift should happen in the next several hours).

As for the parks, it’s a beautiful night. Rain has cleared, there’s a light breeze so it doesn’t feel so miserably humid. Lines are good. I’m standing in a posted 45 minute wait for SDD 2 hours before close (almost unheard of).

This is one of the graphics I’m sure MCO was tracking when they made the call Friday afternoon. The likely arrival of tropical storm winds was trending badly. ETA: This was well before the unexpected stall over the northern Bahamas. It is no trivial thing to close a major airport, and difficult decisions must be made with the best information available to ensure the safety of travelers and employees.
69F23973-7220-417D-81B0-B0A0BD5B1151.png

Last edited:

Ok, let’s move on. This thread is about dealing with the present and looking forward, not really for debating the actions of the past. The Transportation Board is available for those inclined to discuss their feelings on MCO’s handling of the situation.

Thank you.

Has anyone heard an update on the fate of guests at the value resorts attending MNSSHP tonight considering the curfew in Osceola county? Will they have to leave early?

Orlando airport has bothced this miserably. First announcing on Thurs they were closing the airport on Monday and Tuesday and having to reverse that VERY premature decision. Then cancelling flights for Weds when they still aren’t sure what this thing is doing as it continues to slow down a don ship further and further eastward. Orlando may not get anything but some rain at this point.
The airport doesn't cancel flights, airlines do.

I've seen a couple people mention the disturbance behind Dorian. Does anyone know how long it took Dorian to make it to florida (tomorrow) once the disturbance was observed? Wondering about me trip 18-26th.

We were scheduled to fly home tomorrow, so this is the first validation that we made the right decision cancelling, as we would have been stranded for who knows how long. I’ve been kicking myself all weekend reading reports about the low crowds and great weather, thinking “we would have been fine, we should have just gone!” Stay safe, everyone there now!

I've seen a couple people mention the disturbance behind Dorian. Does anyone know how long it took Dorian to make it to florida (tomorrow) once the disturbance was observed? Wondering about me trip 18-26th.
You can find archived data for Dorian on the National Hurricane Center website, however no two storms are alike. They move and develop very differently (and seemingly erratically), based on a wide variety of atmospheric and terrestrial conditions. Predictions are only best guesses based on complex models of those conditions and forecasted changes.

I have a question concerning Disney transportation when the parks are closed tomorrow at 3 PM. Do they also shut all transportation between parks and resorts?. The reason I ask is that I have to return a rental to the dolphin and would need to get back to Coronado. I’m just wondering if Uber- taxis will be available Wednesday to get me back??

I have a question concerning Disney transportation when the parks are closed tomorrow at 3 PM. Do they also shut all transportation between parks and resorts?. The reason I ask is that I have to return a rental to the dolphin and would need to get back to Coronado. I’m just wondering if Uber- taxis will be available Wednesday to get me back??

Uber isn’t Disney transportation. You should not have a problem getting one.

I'm reading the end of this but wanted to clarify that the airport announced it was closing at 4 pm on Friday. We were there. Our family made the decision to change our flight from Monday to Sunday based on the latest hurricane information available at the time. We changed our flights at 1:30 pm. We had been monitoring seats available too and some cruises cancelled and boom seats were all sold out. We were lucky to secure seats for Sunday. (yesterday)

As for closures, planes don't stick around when there are tropical storm winds. Airlines fly their planes out. MCO discussed the situation with the airlines and what the plans were. Spirit cancelled a lot of planes on Sunday and the airport was pretty quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter