Hurricane Irma?

Disney CM has just asked us to delete the photos of damage at the resort that we had taken. We weren't doing it to be critical (Disney has been amazing) but rather to remember our Irma experience. We complied out of respect nonetheless. Too bad they didn't get to the person who sent the photo of the downed tree at the Poly to Fox News.
Or me :rolleyes1

EST is an hour ahead of us (Chicago) - your arrival time in Buffalo is already EST.
So EST time in Chicago- arrive 8:36, leave 9:58 and home 11:28.

Thank you, I don't know why I always screw this up! An hour 20 layover sounds a lot safer than just 20 minutes.

Thank you, I don't know why I always screw this up! An hour 20 layover sounds a lot safer than just 20 minutes.

The airlines always do it that way - can get confusing. So when you were looking at your Chicago times - those were CST and your arrival in Buffalo was EST.

It's why at quick glance our flights home from Florida are always an hour shorter. ;)

That looks pretty good. Cleaning up what you can see there would seem to be a lot less effort than cleaning up after a day full of guests. It looks like our neighborhood after a severe thunderstorm.

Ya. It wasn't bad really at all.

It was also before I knew of the curfew. :D

Anyone renting a house/villa offsite in the Davenport area? Or anyone on here in that area and know the conditions? My family is set to depart Thursday AM from CT.

Our winter home is in Davenport. I just heard from our neighbor that they are fine, their home is fine, they have power/cable/internet, and that our house is also OK. Some of the homes in the development, mostly two story ones, experienced minor roof damage. We are very blessed to have escaped the wrath of Irma.

Our neighbor also said that a high percentage of Polk County is without power. You can go to the Duke Energy web site and find a map that shows the areas that have outages. If you know where your villa is located you might be able to see if the development has power.

Perhaps you should get in touch with your villa's management company and/or owner to get their assessment.

Wishing you a safe trip!

Cool video.
Out of curiosity, is there anything (besides possibly getting caught, arrested for trespassing, and banned from WDW for life) that actually keeps a person from ducking under a rope and entering the park? I realize it's not the right thing to do and there would be severe consequences, but I couldn't help thinking how easy it would be to do when watching the video.

And how fun it would be to run around the Magic Kingdom with no one else there.

Here's a question... this is my flight schedule for tomorrow:

Departs: Orlando at 5:36 p.m.
Arrives: Chicago at 7:36 p.m.

Departs: Chicago at 8:58 p.m.
Arrives: Buffalo at 11:28 p.m.

So putting this all in EST... I would land in Chicago at 8:36, connection takes off at 8:58, then land in Buffalo at 11:28?

Is this what is on your flight confirmation? Please double check online. All flight times are printed/published in local time. Meaning - if you're saying you depart MCO at 5:36pm to arrive at ORD at 7:36pm - that would be 7:36pm Chicago time. Giving you about an hour and 20 minute layover. Then, departing ORD at 8:58pm to arrive in BUF at 11:28pm local time.

Travel agent here :)

I'm curious now of operations during non emergency situations. Was surprised to see just a rope prevented someone from walking in. There were no gates closed no people
I just asked the same thing. Seems like if all they do when they "close" the park is put up a few dinky ropes and call it a night, people would be trespassing all the time after hours.
Do they have 24/7 security people that keep an eye on it?

It's certainly always locked up. It was originally when I was there too. Big gates under the two train passover/entrances where you'd flood into after the old welcome show.

Below is a copied response from another thread

I'm curious now of operations during non emergency situations. Was surprised to see just a rope prevented someone from walking in. There were no gates closed no people

Cool video.
Out of curiosity, is there anything (besides possibly getting caught, arrested for trespassing, and banned from WDW for life) that actually keeps a person from ducking under a rope and entering the park? I realize it's not the right thing to do and there would be severe consequences, but I couldn't help thinking how easy it would be to do when watching the video.

And how fun it would be to run around the Magic Kingdom with no one else there.

I had no clue there was a curfew- I was out walking around the contemporary where I'm staying- signs say to be careful and I was talking to staff while walking around outside. Then I thought "heck, let's see if the walkway is open"

I took lots of pics and both gates were closed as well as the entrance swing gates by ticket check. Stayed for maybe 20 mins just looking around and taking it in. Even sat on some benches thinking how eerie/apocalyptic it was. After I took all the pics I started walking back to the contemporary, made it across the street then realized I took no video. When else would I have that opportunity, right?
On my walk back, I saw two carts with a couple people in them that had just pulled up from the bus area and they were opening up the swing gates. I paused and waited thinking they'd tell me to go back to hotel. When I got back up there, I was expecting to see them and see if I could get some info from them, but they were gone and the 2 gates on each side were open.

I was literally the first person at the entrance this am and then the first person right after they got there- it was just after 7am and they were doing shift changes in hotel and light was just coming up. So assessments were just starting. I'm sure it's swarming with CMs and crews now.

You have NO idea how tempted I was to go run in there and snap a couple pics. Unlike the curfew, I knew I wasnt allowed in there :P A ban and/or trespassing arrest wasn't in the plans for me. Not worth it. I'll likely die regretting NOT doing it though. :)

Well, that was an experience I'm not keen to repeat. The eye went right over us, and the wind was awful. We got through without losing power (it dimmed a couple times) or water. The family members who rode out the storm here did not lose power at home, but have heard they do not have water at their home and may not for a week. We didn't have any structural damage, just some limbs in the yard, but the neighbor lost their big oak tree in the front yard.

As a variance on the resort capacity question, do you think I should stop at Pop on the way to work tomorrow to be sure I don't get "walked" to another resort? I have no interest in staying at any of the All Star resorts, and that would probably be the Pop alternative. I did online check in and would normally prefer to bypass the front desk. Can't wait to unwind at the hotel and parks!

My daughter is a cm at Disney. She was scheduled to work Sat and today. Of course that was cancelled. Disney does not pay their employees for time scheduled when they close the park. I just find that pretty crappy. Now she's trying to find shifts to cover the money she lost.
She certainly would have gotten in trouble if she had just decided not to show up.

Everyone thinks Disney is so magical. Not for the employees

So all those people saying stay away, the kids that work there need you to show up so they can pay their bills

I work for Amazon, and they are covering lost wages for the facilities in the affected areas.
This is what I had said in my previous posts when people were saying to stay away. I hope she get the hours she needs!

My daughter is a cm at Disney. She was scheduled to work Sat and today. Of course that was cancelled. Disney does not pay their employees for time scheduled when they close the park. I just find that pretty crappy. Now she's trying to find shifts to cover the money she lost.
She certainly would have gotten in trouble if she had just decided not to show up.

Everyone thinks Disney is so magical. Not for the employees

So all those people saying stay away, the kids that work there need you to show up so they can pay their bills

I work for Amazon, and they are covering lost wages for the facilities in the affected areas.

This isn't uncommon. I work for a large health care system on the coast. During an emergency situation, essential employees are required to come to work and will be terminated if they don't show up. Non-essential employees are not allowed to come to work, and they must use vacation time if they want to get paid for hours not worked. It's been that way at every hospital I've ever worked -- just part of the reality of being employed.

Does "limited capacity" mean that they'll phase in as they are able and as they have staff for the various airlines? And that it should increase over the day tomorrow, Wed and then Thurs?

I'm curious about this too

IMG_2060.JPG
I just asked the same thing. Seems like if all they do when they "close" the park is put up a few dinky ropes and call it a night, people would be trespassing all the time after hours.
Do they have 24/7 security people that keep an eye on it?
Don't worry - this guy's got it covered if you show up at the gate - "Sorry folks - Disney's closed."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter