I hate the new Promotion!

Dmcuth

alldisneycharacters.com
I really don't like the new promotion. The commercials do nothing for me. The music stinks. Am I supposed to get excited over balloons??? The "Flying" song from the YOAMD commercials was much better, got me excited about my next trip. Just the thought of winning a castle night was great.

I'm leaving in 2 1/2 weeks for my last YOAMD trip. One more shot at the castle. I'll miss it. I'll miss the chase, the sight of the Dream Squad "Blueberries," the twinge of anticipation when your ride comes to an end and you look for the dream squad waiting for you, the thought that any day when you walk in the park, this could be the day.....

Goodbye YOAMD.......you'll missed.

There's no way we can take advantage of the new promotion. There's no way we can go on any of our actual birthdays!
I agree, YOAMD, you will be missed!

I prefer the new promotion. At least, everyone controls their own fate. You can plan to go at that time or not. With YOAMD, it's luck! That means some people leave happy, & many more leave empty handed. Naturally, we haven't won anything. My opinion may be different if we had. ;) We were just there from the 16th-20th, & didn't even see the Dream Team. :confused:

Since YOAMD started, we have been to WDW 3 times. Never saw the Dream Team, never got a Dream. Going next month for our 4th trip, maybe we'll get lucky.

My biggest complaint was the the Year of a Million Dreams was actually more like 2 years. Lame.

If I hadn't won yet, I'd feel the same way, but I've become an expert in how to win and have won 7 dream fast passes, 1 dream ear(s), and numerous magical moments and I don't want it to stop (I've never been to a park and NOT seen the dream squad)! But it also will be somewhat of a relief to just go and relax!

I've never won anything either, but it's thilling to walk around the parks knowing that you possibly could. I even enjoyed seeing other people win, it was exciting!!! We'll be going once more during YOAMD. I will miss it very much!

At least with YOAMD you had a chance to win. Unless you live close to WDW what good is free admission if you can't combine it with the rest of your trip? It's next to useless, but then WDW already knows that don't they.

At least with YOAMD you had a chance to win. Unless you live close to WDW what good is free admission if you can't combine it with the rest of your trip? It's next to useless, but then WDW already knows that don't they.

Why can't you take advantage of the fact that you can use the money it would have cost for that free day and purchase something $75-$80 at on of the stores at Downtown Disney?

The thing is, if you go to the hassle to use the 'free' day, your only saving a couple of dollars, not the same as a 1 day ticket. Thats why they do so well keeping people on property, because a 7 day ticket is practically the same cost as a 6, so why leave for a day? You only get the gift card if your an AP holder.

I agree. We're actually planning our next trip during our DD's birthday, but I still liked YOAMD more, since it was fun to find the dream squad and see what they were handing out. We've had dream fastpasses 3 times and ears once (could have had them more, but we didn't want to be greedy and get more than one thing in a day). All this was at DL, and I think it was easier to win there than at MK (or maybe it just seems that way from reading these boards).

There is some kind of a birthday fastpass that sounds really interesting, though. I'm waiting for the promo to start so we can find out if that would be a good bday choice. Our DD's bday just happens to be during her Spring Break this year -- I would never pull her out of school just because a Disney promo was going on...

But I agree with the OP -- I liked the randomness of YOAMD.

Well I think the problem is that it's hard to keep topping a new promotion every year. Granted, in 3 trips I never won a dream so YOAMD means squat to me but to all those who won, now it seems like a worse promotion because it means you don't get anything. If there never was a YOAMD, you may love the idea of this new promotion. There doesn't have to be any kind of promotion at all.

As far as the commercials, I love them! I think they are SO "disney" right down to that great new song. I think it's perfect.

And even after saying all that, I'm just indifferent about the new promotion. I think that it sounds better than it actually is, especially to people who aren't as "in the know" as we all are.

Maybe I dont understand the new promotion but i dont get it....

If I purchase a package that includes resort, tickets and dining and then plan my trip to coincide with birthdays.... how does a free admission day benefit me? I have already paid for a ticketed day with my package. Is there some other perk that I am missing?

If I purchase a package that includes resort, tickets and dining and then plan my trip to coincide with birthdays.... how does a free admission day benefit me? I have already paid for a ticketed day with my package. Is there some other perk that I am missing?

I think I remember reading that if you are there on your birthday using a multiday ticket or AP, WDW will give you a pass for 1 day that could be used in the future. I don't think it can be upgraded though so really not much use if going for a number of days since like others have said not much difference between and 6 and 7 day pass.

These are FAQs I copied from Disney's website...I highlighted a couple that might answer your question for you:

Q: When does online registration begin and end?

A: You can begin registering your birthday for free admission on your birthday in 2009 on September 18, 2008 and runs through December 31, 2009.

Q: Is there any age requirement for online registration?

A: Yes, you must be 18 years of age or older to register your birthday. If you're under age 18, you need to have an adult in your household register your birthday for you.

Q: Do I need to register online prior to going to Walt Disney World® Resort to receive free admission on my birthday in 2009?

A: As long as you have valid identification, including date of birth, you can take advantage of this birthday offer at the Walt Disney World® Will Call windows. The reason for registering your birthday online is to save you time. You won't have to wait while you fill out the forms at the Will Call windows.

Q: What kind of identification do I need to show at the gate?

A: If you're age 18 or older, proper ID would be a Driver's License, State-issued or Government-issued photo ID, or a Government-issued Passport. If you are under age 18 and don't have any of the above mentioned ID, an original or certified copy of a Birth Certificate is required.

Q: I can't come on my birthday. Can I use the free admission on your birthday ticket on another day?

A: Unfortunately, no. The free admission on your birthday ticket means just what it says. It's only good for free admission on the Ticket Holder's birthday.

Q: What ages are covered in this offer?

A: This offer is good for anyone over age 3.

Q: Why are children under 3 excluded from this offer?

A: Children under 3 are not required to have an admission ticket to enter the Theme Parks.

Q: My children don't live with me, but I'd like to sign them up for free admission on your birthday tickets. Is that possible?

A: Yes.

Q: Do I have to be a resident of a particular state in order to take advantage of this offer?

A: No. The offer is valid for all Guests, regardless of the place of residency.

Q: What if my birthday falls during our visit, but it is not on the first day. Will I be able to pick up my ticket or other options on the first day of my arrival?

A: You can visit our designated "Will Call" windows at any of the four theme parks up to seven days prior to your birthday to pick up your free birthday ticket which will only be valid on your birthday. However, other Birthday benefits such as a Special Birthday FASTPASS® or a Birthday Fun Card must be picked up on the actual date of your birth to receive the benefit.

Q: Can I upgrade my free birthday ticket to another ticket type?

A: Yes, the free birthday ticket may be upgraded to another ticket type on your birthday. However the celebrant is responsible for the incremental cost and the new ticket may only be used by the celebrant. In addition, the One Day/One Park Ticket good for 12 months (an option for select Guests) may not be upgraded.

Q: I am a Passholder (or have a valid Multi-Day Ticket or a Seasonal Pass that I will use for admission on my birthday in 2009), so I don't need to take advantage of this offer. If I register, is there anything else I could receive on my birthday?

A: Yes, you have several options which are available for you to select once you arrive at the Park with your confirmation message and your proper ID. You can receive:
• A birthday fun card in an amount equal to the price of a 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket* for you to use on your birthday for merchandise, recreation or fun activities at select participating locations at Walt Disney World® Resort; or
• A special birthday FASTPASS® badge+ for certain attractions at the Theme Park you visit on your birthday; or
• A 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket for you to use any time until your next birthday.
*Ticket price at gate, excluding tax. Adults receive card in the amount of an adult ticket; children (ages 3-9) receive card in the amount of a child ticket. For terms and conditions of the card and details on participating locations, click here.

+The number of birthday FASTPASS badges issued is limited and may not be available after 11am. Valid Theme Park admission required. FASTPASS for birthday celebrant and up to 5 members of his/her party.

Q: What if I don't spend my entire birthday fun card on my birthday?

A: The birthday fun card is valid only on your birthday. Any residual value cannot be recovered by the Guest after that day.

Q: What are you going to do with my birthday information?

A: The information we are collecting will be used to expedite the process of validating your date of birth once you arrive at the designated Will Call windows with valid ID.

Q: Do I need to register online prior to going to Walt Disney World® Resort to receive free admission on my birthday?

A: As long as you have valid identification, including date of birth, you can take advantage of this birthday offer at the Walt Disney World® Will Call windows. The reason for registering your birthday online is to save you time. You won't have to wait while you fill out the forms at the Will Call windows.

Q: What if my birthday is on February 29?

A: You may take advantage of free admission on February 28, 2009 or March 1, 2009.​

Oops...hit enter too soon, sorry.

I'm thinking that the 1 day pass for use before your next birthday would NOT be that great of a deal, since it can't be upgraded, you'd be back to where you are now....needing to buy tickets for the other days of your trip and of course additional days are very cheap, especially over 4 days. So if you were to plan to be there for 7 days, but only buy 6 days because you have this free non-upgradeable ticket, it would in reality only save you $3.19 (the difference in price between 7 and 6 days)!!!

The Birthday Fun Card on the other hand would be worth $79.88. It's only valid on your birthday and you can't keep any unspent money for another day, but heck I think all of us could quickly and easily spend $79.88 in the gift shops in one day.

The fast pass badge sound neat, but is it worth $79 to ya (choosing it in lieu of the fun card)? It's kinda cool that they include 5 other people on the badge (thank heavens as it'd be very sad to ride all day alone on your birthday!)....I still personally don't see it as worth $79, even if your birthday were on a major crowded holiday. But some might I guess.

The part that bums me out is that my birthday is not during a month that I could even consider going to Disney...so I lose out on this promotion. It's simply not an option.

A friend of mine is born on leap year day. I'm sure they would allow you to choose a day before or after.

The thing is, if you go to the hassle to use the 'free' day, your only saving a couple of dollars, not the same as a 1 day ticket. Thats why they do so well keeping people on property, because a 7 day ticket is practically the same cost as a 6, so why leave for a day? You only get the gift card if your an AP holder.

From what I have read, I believe you can use the "fun card option" even if you are not an AP holder.

A friend of mine is born on leap year day. I'm sure they would allow you to choose a day before or after.

Yep...go back to post #14 where I put all the FAQ's from WDW's website....the very last one says that if your birthday is Feb 29 you can come on Feb 28 or March 1.

I will be sort of glad when the 2 years of a million dreams are over. I guess its sour grapes but after 5 trips and winning nothing it was disapointing. I am happy for those of ya'll that did win. I found myself every morning as we headed to the parks maybe today is the day. Maybe, I just had too much information because I recognized the dream team and found myself watching for them. I am glad now the pressure will be off I can go the parks without thinking about winning something. Disney CM's are the best they were spreading magic in lots of little ways before the YOAMD and I am sure they will continue to do so!

The Birthday promotion is neat to us because we were already planning on being there for DD's birthday next year. But it is not as exciting, Disney is really going to have trouble topping YOAMD.

From what I have read, I believe you can use the "fun card option" even if you are not an AP holder.

In post #14 I copied/pasted the FAQs from WDW's site....if you have tickets already you can opt for a 1day/1park ticket valid until your next birthday (i.e. 12 months), but it is NOT upgradeable......or a "fun card" worth the price of a 1 day/1 park ticket (not sure if you get the price plus tax or the base price, but it's in the $70 range for adults and $60 range for kids) that must be used in full on your birthday...or a fast pass badge for you and up to 5 friends.

Purely financially, the fun card is the best option.....unless you only intend to come for your birthday and no other days, it's cheaper to buy tickets for additional days and after the 4th day it's literally a couple of dollars a day to stay longer.....and while the fast pass doesn't have any price tag on it, and does sound cool, I personally don't see it worth $70+. Maybe if your birthday is a major holiday so the crowds would be outrageous otherwise, probably not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter