I hate the new Promotion!

I like it and for this reason....

Now people will quit coming back from WDW and complaining because they did not win anything. People in general (not all) have come to a point where they "expect" and there is a sense of entitlement. I think it is more fun to go and be surprised, but to go with no expectations. That is what a magical moment or winning a dream is really all about.

Thanks Connie B for the information.

My birthday and my mom's birthday are both in March and in the same week..... I wonder how Disney would like to give us $79.88 times 2 ....

Hmmmm..... I may need to consider a trip this spring.

does anyone know if the birthday fun card can be used on food/dining? Or is it only for merchandise?
thanks!

From the FAQ (thanks, ConnieB!): "• A birthday fun card in an amount equal to the price of a 1-day Magic Your Way base ticket* for you to use on your birthday for merchandise, recreation or fun activities at select participating locations at Walt Disney World® Resort". Since the FAQ does not mention food, I would expect/interpret that the Fun Card cannot be used to purchase food.

This one does nothing for me either. I much prefer YOAMD--I've seen the dream squad plenty of time and won fastpasses 3 times. But even if we hadn't, the possibility of it would be enough, and the range of cool "dreams" they offered.

We probably won't go for DH's birthday in Jan and there's no way you'd get me there in September for mine, so it's nothing exciting for us.

If I hadn't won yet, I'd feel the same way, but I've become an expert in how to win and have won 7 dream fast passes, 1 dream ear(s), and numerous magical moments and I don't want it to stop (I've never been to a park and NOT seen the dream squad)! But it also will be somewhat of a relief to just go and relax!

Care to share your expert tips? :wizard:

I like it and for this reason....

Now people will quit coming back from WDW and complaining because they did not win anything. People in general (not all) have come to a point where they "expect" and there is a sense of entitlement. I think it is more fun to go and be surprised, but to go with no expectations. That is what a magical moment or winning a dream is really all about.

ITA! Our last trip my DD11 was so disappointed she didn't win anything. Why should she be disappointed? We went to WDW!!! She should have been ecstatic over that. Instead she cried our last day there, feeling let down. This time, I love the new promotion. Why? Because we are taking my younger sister for her first ever trip as a birthday gift, and every day she will have her birthday celebrated with balloons and streamers etc. when she enters the parks. The promotion came at an awesome time and my sister is so thrilled. For her, this is a dream come true. And the best thing, all expectations are about going to WDW and experiencing it, not waiting and hoping for something that may or may not happen.

I have been at WDW on my birthday for a lot of years...next year, because of the closure of the Adventurers Club, I am cutting that trip short (from 8 nights to 3 nights) and won't be there on the actual day. And $70 worth of merchandise won't get me to change that. (I have an annual and don't need the ticket). Now if they allowed use of the promotion value for dining ...that might have helped.

I'm so glad I read this post! We are annual pass holders and live pretty close to WDW, I just figured we would not be able to take advantage of the offer, but I am happy to hear that we can!! :banana: :banana:

I like the new ad! My boys get so excited everytime that they see it!

I HATE the ads and promotion. I initially got excited about it because we are celebrating our Honeymoon at disney next year, but there doesn't seem to be much benefit for that, just your birthday. My birthday is in March and the giftcard is not worth going to Disney over a spring break weekend (Never Again). I love Disney, but this promotion doesn't seem that well thought out. Or maybe it just seems dissapointing after the YOAMD. I wanted to go to the new tour when it came to my city but they gave next to no information about this. For Disney this just doesn't seem well thought out.

I one hundred percent agree with the OP. The old promotion really got me excited about disney. The comercials, music etc. This new one so far does nothing. And what is it with people wanting to get stuf for free? I didn't win anything but enjoyed seeing countless other people getting surprised. In fact i'd rather somebody else win something, oblivious to the fact that there was a promo running, then i win something knowing full well that i could. I love seeing the surprise and the subsequent smiles on peoples faces who know nothing of these boards and so do not go into the parc "expecting" something. In fact. I wish i had no knowledge of these boards just so i could be blissfully ignorant. Ok no. I take it back. I love these boards :).

YOAMD. How do you beat having a shot at staying inside a castle? Although as previously posted I do agree it will be nice to not hear people complain about not winning anything.

For years going to Disney was just about going to Disney. The promos all stink. Everything at Disney costs more cause of the promos. These things are not free. Hotel room prices out of control, Single park tickets out of control. Its horrendous. And people still EXPECT to get something for nothing and then a discount too.

For example, I stayed at the Venetian in Las Vegas on Friday night. This is a true LUXURY hotel. All suites, robes, amenities galore, all concierge. My room cost me 159 for that night, included a view of the strip. I stayed at the Boardwalk at a discounted rate of 212 per night for a standard room. No concierge service, no lounge, just a standard room with no view. Yes the toiletries were upgraded from mods and values but I really cannot justify the costs for what you get.

I think less promos and freebies and better market pricing would make Disney a better destination for all involved. There would be more magic because more people could afford to go.

There's no way we can take advantage of the new promotion. There's no way we can go on any of our actual birthdays!
I agree, YOAMD, you will be missed!

I kind of agree with this since we didn't win anything for YOAMD :laughing: cause we also will not be able to take advantage of the new promotion but then here again we didn't win any dreams on the one going on now. I was just happy to be at DW and I feel the same about our upcoming trip this March.

I think less promos and freebies and better market pricing would make Disney a better destination for all involved. There would be more magic because more people could afford to go.

I agree completely! In my earlier post, I noted that I didn't even see the Dream Team on our last trip. To be fair, I wasn't looking for them. I'm definitely not spending my precious vacation time looking &/or hoping for a freebie. I'd rather get what I pay for, & everyone else do the same. To me, the one exception would be WISH kids. I'm thankful for my healthy child, & I'm all for those who aren't healthy getting special treatment.

Hotel room prices out of control, Single park tickets out of control.
Okay, single day base passes did go up about 5.5% this year which, okay, is slightly higher than the 4.9% inflation rate for the last twelve months.

As for hotel rooms, well, all I 'know' for pricing is the Value resorts - and the price for a standard room in value season today is exactly the same as it was January 1, 2007. $82 then, $82 today.

Add me to the group that thinks it stinks! I have two kids both born in the same month, 17 days between the birthdays. We cannot afford to take them for 17 days, so which kid do I choose to feel special? I'll tell you, neither! We are going to Yellowstone this year I think.

Yea...my cousin, myself, and my mom all have birthdays in October. Yea....HOW IS THAT GOING TO WORK :sad2: lol. Mom and I's are exactly a week apart.
Rest of the family has bdays spread out.

Can't take advantage of this since we can't afford to go for 7/8 days, and my cousin and I are in college and his younger sister is in high school so yea...can't skip class to go.

I loved the YOAMD. I will miss it =(.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter