I heard that the Grand Floridian was over-sold, yes/no?

Riviera will hit $200 a point at some point. As to number of points per night, I had to chuckle at the statement 'the only downside' is less revenue for DVD. DVD is an absolute ruthless money making machine, more so than ever before with good old Ken in charge. Is he going to sit and watch millions go missing because he wants to make it cheaper for families? No chance.
It will actually be a high end resort. The fact it's near CBR (separated by water by then) is neither here nor there. They'll have the gondola working well and it will have a USP direct transport line straight into HWS and Star Wars and the new Epcot with no waĺking requires.
There's a lot of lazy people about who even find the BCV to HWS an effort.
They'll stick a fancy restaurant on top and probably go all out to make it one of the best on property, and hype the firework views.
It will be top dollar and top points all the way is my guess.

DVD will always charge more, not less. They are using the CBR land and nothing more, it will be a deluxe resort. DVD is a cash cow for Disney and as a result they apparently have been given the backing to build what and where they want. The Rivera location with Skyliner access was no coincidence.

:earsboy: Bill

I think they will certainly promote Riviera as a deluxe resort. I'm curious about just how user friendly those Gondolas will be since they will be shared with CBR and the values. Much as I'd like an Epcot resort with a 50 yr. contract to round off my DVC 'holdings' I'm reserving judgement on Riviera until I see how the shared Gondolas actually function.

Riviera will certainly be a Deluxe resort and points will be sold at whatever price points will be in 2 years.
My point is: if the point cost per night will be similar to the older resorts, (about BWV garden view on average, possibly with fireworks view costing a bit more and standard a bit less), then it will be the next best thing after BWV for convenience to reach two parks and the novelty of the gondolas. If there won't be an appeciable line to go on the gondolas, reaching Epcot or DHS would take almost the same time as by foot from BWV or BCV.
But if the price per night is more in line with Poly or VGF or if the gondola system turns out to be inefficient or a flying sauna, then demand for the resort would be much lower.
I tend to think there's more to it than just the perception of the gondola system and the points per night comparative to BWV/BCV and the like. It's still going to be perceived as a moderate or at least a moderate location by many just like SSR and OKW are now. And that alone will decrease it's demand somewhat. That's not to say these issues couldn't be overcome, but I tend to think the only way to do so within the DVC concept would be to reduce the points per night down in the SSR standard, OKW or AKV value at maximum. Now if they gave the resort special features, larger villas, more upscale even than VGF that could also do it but I don't see this happening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter