I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, the thing is I am debating that card just because of the bonus.. but I'm so mad at Marriot since I've been degraded maybe I shouldn't. 😁 but I'm on the fence. I'm all team Hyatt now but sometimes I'm stuck choosing Marriot.

I never had the bonus in a lifetime platinum elite and haven't felt cared for I should have gone team Hyatt a long time ago. I never had the 20% I just was annoyed with the card (for my situation). I'm over being bitter about it Hyatt could merge with DVC tomorrow you never know (I'm kidding!)
These hotel programs constantly evolve or devolve. I loved SPG. But Marriott took over. Now, Radisson US has dumped itself into Choice. I'm getting a divorce from that program. IHG has gone completely bonkers with their point structure. Marriott will still be in my sphere but mostly because of their quantity of middle of the road properties. I'll keep my 4 cards to provide a few points rooms and to mitigate the price of rooms I would already book.

Hyatt is a decent outfit but they don't have Marriott's footprint. Still, I'll use them when it works for me.

I'm going to stay flexible and not get hung up on one product just to get a crappy breakfast or an upgrade. Bottom line for me will be to get a dependable product as close to free as possible.

Buy PetSmart GCs from Sam's Club and save 20% on up to $500 worth. I do it all the time. Got three fur babies so it's a big help.

ETA: it's an online purchase. It comes and goes but was there just last week when I refilled my stash.

I have a sam's club membership and completely missed this. Combined with the offers they send me it will probably help bring my spend down a bit.

Thanks for posting!

These hotel programs constantly evolve or devolve. I loved SPG. But Marriott took over. Now, Radisson US has dumped itself into Choice. I'm getting a divorce from that program. IHG has gone completely bonkers with their point structure. Marriott will still be in my sphere but mostly because of their quantity of middle of the road properties. I'll keep my 4 cards to provide a few points rooms and to mitigate the price of rooms I would already book.

Hyatt is a decent outfit but they don't have Marriott's footprint. Still, I'll use them when it works for me.

I'm going to stay flexible and not get hung up on one product just to get a crappy breakfast or an upgrade. Bottom line for me will be to get a dependable product as close to free as possible.
100% agreed I was a huge SPG fanboy (like I am for Hyatt right now) if Hyatt devalues ill go free agent also. but TBH I'm a huge fan of their product and I love how the breakfast isn't crappy (for now).

Buy PetSmart GCs from Sam's Club and save 20% on up to $500 worth. I do it all the time. Got three fur babies so it's a big help.

ETA: it's an online purchase. It comes and goes but was there just last week when I refilled my stash.
I had no idea they sold discounted GCs! Thanks for the tip. Will be doing that going forward.

All these cancelled flights and delays. The BF is off on a 3 day trip starting today. I hope there are no hiccups as we leave on Monday morning for Cancun, flying standby. I keep checking the loads and there are 40+ open seats. We should be okay. Most people don't book last minute "international" on Spirit, LOL. I'm REALLY stressing over packing only a carry on, LOL. He can take all our liquids to Mexico, but on the way back he can't unless he's in uniform (which he won't do). So I'm stressing over how much sunscreen is enough, but not too much, etc. I could check a bag for free but I know he hates dealing w/ baggage claim, LOL. Plus I get the carry-plus personal item. I'm thinking of using my smaller Vera Bradley weekender bag as my personal item instead of my backpack. I can put way more into it. We'll see as I start packing.

Right now I also have a Delta ticket to Cancun on hold AND a ticket on AA to NC, LOL. I can cancel the NC hotel and flight on Monday once we're in Mexico. The Delta ticket I can cancel Monday morning before we board. Part of me is almost hoping both offered something to give up my seat, but I know I have to be at the gate, LOL.

Credit card question....IHG Traveler. I got the card in Jan 2021. I met the SUB and rarely spend on it. I churned the IHG premeir in Aug 2021. I think the new rules state you can't get a SUB for the IHG personal cards now if you hold another IHG personal card. "This product is available to you if you do not have a current IHG® Rewards Credit Card and have not received a new Cardmember bonus within the last 24 months. This does not apply to Business Card Credit Card products." Is there any reason to keep the Traveler card? If I'm reading this right, if I want to churn the Traveler card I'd need to cancel my Premier. And vice versa. So I can churn both next year. I have the IHG biz card too. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about all of this, LOL. I'm thinking to not piss off Chase I'd need to cancel the IHG Traveler and Premier once I'm able to churn the Traveler. But I'd likely need to keep the Traveler open a year before I closed it. Which means perhaps Feb 2023 close both, and get the Traveler again. Then close the Traveler in 2024 and do the Premier again? The Biz and Premier both have the FNC, so it kinda sucks I lose out on one of the FNC in 2023, LOL.

Your DS sounds like me-if I'm not 3 hours early, I feel like I'm late :laughing: . Let's just say I'm glad I have access to skyclub😂

Normally I like to roll up the the airport 1 hour before boarding. With TSA precheck it's never really an issue. In NC I roll the dice even more and get there like 30 min before boarding as the same people is the gate agent, baggage, etc, LOL. The PP lounge in DTW sucks! So no fun getting there early. Now when I'm with the BF and he's flying the trip, we have to get there whenever his report time is, and he likes to pad the time to allow for the shuttle being delayed. If we're listing for a flight he likes to be there early too to try and smooze the gate agents if needed. And if I'm on a work trip w/ him (away) I'm at the mercy of when the shuttle/driver gets them. Which is fun when they show up as boarding is beginning at LAX, LOL. Thank god for precheck!

I have a sam's club membership and completely missed this. Combined with the offers they send me it will probably help bring my spend down a bit.

Thanks for posting!
I don't even have a Sam's membership, I just use my MIL's but have the cards ship to my house. She doesn't even live in the same state 🤣
But yeah, it's a great deal because I spend ~$3K in pet food yearly, so making that $2.4K is a huge help. I love the little rascals but they sure are expensive...

Last edited:
After reading all these travel woes, I have a question for international flyers.

We bought DD a ticket on Aer Lingus which had a British Airways flight and an Aer Lingus flight. Her departure airport only had British Airways, so we checked her in with them. They missed their connection due to flight delays and security delays. It was a mess getting her on another flight and I was trying to remain calm. Even though she had an Aer Lingus ticket, the Aer Lingus agents told her repeatedly that she needed to go back to the British Airways terminal to get rebooked. They unsuccessfully tried to go back to the British Airways terminal but were not allowed since they didn't have a ticket. The 4th Aer Lingus agent "made a call to pull a few strings" and got them booked on another flight. Thankful for the agent, but shouldn't Aer Lingus have rebooked her from the beginning? I am just not sure how these joint tickets work since we primarily fly Delta.

Random question. What do you think my chances are of getting Marriott FNC reissued due to weather? We're supposed to leave on Monday for Cancun. Watching my go to hurricane guy looks like something could be heading that way towards the end of the week. Unless the forecast changes and looks like it's heading that way faster we plan on going Monday. But I'm wondering if Marriott would reissue if we needed to cancel mid-week and head home due to a hurricane or tropical storm?

I don't even have a Sam's membership, I just use my MIL's but have the cards ship to my house. She doesn't even live in the same state 🤣
But yeah, it's a great deal because I spend ~$3K in pet food yearly, so making that $2.4K is a huge help. I love the little rascals but they sure are expensive...
I spend about $200 a month just on pet food now. Then there's the vet bills just for routine stuff. Probably won't do any more rescues as I get older.

edit: Sam's Club - free membership by using a val pak offer and paying with an amex card that had a Sam's Club offer on it.

Random question. What do you think my chances are of getting Marriott FNC reissued due to weather? We're supposed to leave on Monday for Cancun. Watching my go to hurricane guy looks like something could be heading that way towards the end of the week. Unless the forecast changes and looks like it's heading that way faster we plan on going Monday. But I'm wondering if Marriott would reissue if we needed to cancel mid-week and head home due to a hurricane or tropical storm?
I tried getting a FNC extended last week. It was issued last June and automatically extended to the end of June when they extended them all. Even though I pointed out that they used to grant a one time, one year extension, and my FNC was only extended a few weeks, I was told they are not extending FNCs. Maybe you'll have better luck.

I tried getting a FNC extended last week. It was issued last June and automatically extended to the end of June when they extended them all. Even though I pointed out that they used to grant a one time, one year extension, and my FNC was only extended a few weeks, I was told they are not extending FNCs. Maybe you'll have better luck.
Bonvoy was fairly generous right after they acquired SPG, probably to avoid a mass exodus. Then the medical thing happened and every business was trying to do something so they followed suit.

Now they are back to being who they really are.

According to chatter on FT, Marriott is not budging on extending the FNCs :guilty:

With all the talk about airlines recently, I will add my story.

I booked a flight with AC points to Ottawa next weekend (1 hour). I got notice yesterday that my seat had changed, so I took a quick look. Not only did they change my seat, but they changed the airport! I booked my flight out of the island airport, which is small and only flies short haul flights; Pearson has been a total nightmare for the past few weeks and I wanted to avoid it. Well AC decided that my flight is going to take off from Pearson now. If I wanted to fly from Pearson I would've booked myself into biz class (no biz class on the small regional planes); I called AC and the agent said I had to decide "right away" if I wanted to accept the changes or cancel -- I told her that I thought I had until 2 hours before departure to decide? She was less than pleased, but agreed that I didn't need to decide on the spot. She also told me that I need to arrive at the airport 3 hours before departure even though it's a domestic flight; 3 hours before departure for a 1 hour flight? The drive is 4 hours!!!

I would drive but the engine light on my SUV has been coming on every time I drive on the highway for more than 2.5 hours (the dealership can't find the problem and said short of taking the transmission apart -- and it's a fully encased tranny because it's an off-road vehicle -- there's nothing that can be done); I would take dd's car (much newer), but apparently she "needs" her SUV for the 32 hours that I'll be away (she says mine is "too big" for her to drive). Ugh. So I guess I'm flying and hoping for the best.

Just wanted to give a DP on Hilton FNC. I had booked our last remaining FNC for this past weekend. I checked our account on Monday and they took points instead of the FNC. (Second time this has happened to me, so I should have double checked) Since it is expiring soon, I called Hilton to see if they could reverse the transaction. She said they can't reverse the transaction, but she did extend the FNC for a year since it was their fault. Now to book somewhere fancy like the Hotel del Coronado instead of the Embassy Suites!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter