I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the Hyatt and the free nights hit almost instantaneously with the minimum spend. Same way...wish I would have waited and not got the card when I did. Apparently the free nights are best to use at a big expensive property and I don't know that we will be able to make that trip before next Spring.

I'm going to use them in Paris. But if we didn't have the trip I don't know what I would do.

i recall chase recently changing the rules on refunding AF. Its no longer prorated. I always find the CIP categories too similar to CSR, (travel part). If you do the other categories of CIP, then keep your CIP. IF not, CIC is so far the best UR earning card imo.

Really? A few recent DPs from reddit seem to indicate the pro-rata refund is still happening...what have you read in terms of the rule change? No refund on the AF in general?

Here's my situation - I applied for:
BOA Alaska Airline - 1/16 (since closed)
Ink + Business - 10/16
CSR - 1/17
ASP - 3/17

I am also an AU on DH's CF, but we've had it for years, so I don't think that should play into anything. Also have a few store cards, but again, none of them are within the last few years.

I just applied for Ink Preferred and got a denial letter in the mail saying "too many credit cards opened in last two years associated with you."

I guess I'm thinking I might as well move onto another bank? If so, I was thinking American Express, but not sure where to start with them. I do not have any AE cards at all. Next year, DD is finishing her study abroad program in Germany. DH and I will be going to meet her at the end to have a little trip ourselves out of it. So, we will be flying roundtrip overseas next spring and she will be returning as well. I honestly think I have enough UR points (between DH and myself) saved up to get the tickets, but could always use some type of buffer and/or will need hotels for when we are over there.

Also, I did check my trans union report since that's what was listed on the chase denial letter. My credit score is 817, so I don't think that's the reason I was denied.

DH has:
CSR - 10/16
SW premier - 3/17
SW Plus - 3/17

I applied for the CSP for him last Friday and got the we'll let you know message, so I'm still waiting on that. I don't like not getting instantly approved! I'm still holding out hope that he'll get the CSP at least.

Here's my situation - I applied for:
Ink + Business - 10/16
CSR - 1/17
ASP - 3/17

I am also an AU on DH's CF, but we've had it for years, so I don't think that should play into anything. Also have a few store cards, but again, none of them are within the last few years.

I just applied for Ink Preferred and got a denial letter in the mail saying "too many credit cards opened in last two years associated with you."

I guess I'm thinking I might as well move onto another bank? If so, I was thinking American Express, but not sure where to start with them. I do not have any AE cards at all. Next year, DD is finishing her study abroad program in Germany. DH and I will be going to meet her at the end to have a little trip ourselves out of it. So, we will be flying roundtrip overseas next spring and she will be returning as well. I honestly think I have enough UR points (between DH and myself) saved up to get the tickets, but could always use some type of buffer and/or will need hotels for when we are over there.

Also, I did check my trans union report since that's what was listed on the chase denial letter. My credit score is 817, so I don't think that's the reason I was denied.

DH has:
CSR - 10/16
SW premier - 3/17
SW Plus - 3/17

I applied for the CSP for him last Friday and got the we'll let you know message, so I'm still waiting on that. I don't like not getting instantly approved! I'm still holding out hope that he'll get the CSP at least.
Did you double check the credit report to make sure you didn't miss a card? DH got that message, I removed him as AU and he called and was approved.
I hate not getting instant approval too.

Last edited:

Being able to earn 3x on rent and student loans [on the CIP] through Plastiq is BIG. Who knows how long it'll last, but I'm enjoying the bump to my UR wallet.

Are mortgages still coding 3x on CIP, or just rent payments? Any new DP's on mortgage payments on CSR?

Are mortgages still coding 3x on CIP, or just rent payments? Any new DP's on mortgage payments on CSR?

Based on recent DPs from Reddit, if you can schedule/submit a mortgage payment with the CIP (Visa) through Plastiq, it should code as 3x. It seems that Plastiq may be going through their list of mortgage lenders/servicers and blocking them from accepting Visa payments; smaller banks, credit unions, lenders, etc. seem to be slipping through the cracks and people are able to submit mortgage payments to those. It's very YMMV at this point so you should definitely try to see if your payment will go through. Again, if you can successfully schedule/submit a mortgage payment using the CIP, it should still code as 3x.

Here's the Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/c..._using_a_visa_to_pay_a_mortgage_via/?sort=new

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/6fnoag/plastiq_3x_now_coding_for_1x_on_csrcip/?sort=new

However, all DPs seem to suggest mortgages and rent code as only 1x on the CSR.

ETA: All previously scheduled and recurring mortgage payments using a Visa still seem to be going through, regardless of payee, as long as you don't make any changes. But payments now code 1x with the CSR and currently 3x with CIP. No telling how long this will last.

ETA: Someone posted in today's daily thread that their condo maintenance payment using CIP coded as only 1x on 6/18. Not sure if this is relevant.

ETA: Another Plastiq DP says tested HELOC payment using CIP on 6/16, coded as 3x; made full payment using CIP on 6/19, coded as 1x.

ETA: Another DP says paid mortgage to credit union using CIP on 6/16, coded as 1x.

Going through some of the recent Reddit threads this morning looking for Plastiq+CIP DPs, and it's a mixed bag. Some of the more recent DPs seem to be trending 1x even on the CIP. I'll keep looking and updating, since this is of obvious interest to me.

ETA: DP says he prescheduled mortgage payment to US Bank for 6/19 before the Visa crackdown, posted 6/20 and coded as 3x on CIP. Says can't schedule any more payments to US Bank using his Visa.

ETA: DP says car payment to Hyundai Finance earned 3x using CIP through Plastiq.

Last edited:
I am booking a resort reservation for Punta Cana and there is one price for non-refundable and then another price for refundable with 3 days notice. If I put the resort stay on my CSR, do I need the refundable pricing or if something happens I need to cancel the trip, can I just file with Chase? We are taking my mom who is 74 with us.

Argh. I dipped my toe in last November and get the 100000 points from the chase reserve card. I just applied for the southwest plus card, and got the "we need to review further 30 day message." My credit score is excellent; last I looked it was over 800. I have three other chase cards, the Reserve that I got last year, a southwest plus that Ive had for several years, and the slate, which I've
had forever. No other new cards except for the reserve in the past two or three years. I have a feeling my credit limits are too high. Two of them are ridiculous. Hey, chase, I didn't ask for, nor do I need, that much credit. Next steps for me?

I was approved instantly for the CSR but when I applied for the CFU I got the same message. I decided just to wait it out and in less than two weeks I had the card.

I just used Plastiq to pay my mortgage. It seems to have gone through. I used my new CSP card.

ETA: It coded 1x on CSP

Last edited:
I am booking a resort reservation for Punta Cana and there is one price for non-refundable and then another price for refundable with 3 days notice. If I put the resort stay on my CSR, do I need the refundable pricing or if something happens I need to cancel the trip, can I just file with Chase? We are taking my mom who is 74 with us.

I don't think using the CSR gives you any benefit so far as canceling the reservation. I'm not sure what you mean by "filing with Chase" but if you booked a non-refundable reservation, I don't think Chase is going to provide a refund. But someone please correct me if I am missing this benefit to the CSR.

I don't think using the CSR gives you any benefit so far as canceling the reservation. I'm not sure what you mean by "filing with Chase" but if you booked a non-refundable reservation, I don't think Chase is going to provide a refund. But someone please correct me if I am missing this benefit to the CSR.

The CSR will get you reimbursement for a non-refundable reservation if you can't go for something such as jury duty but will NOT pay for not being able to go for something such as a pre-existing condition.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel

Book the refundable if you're unsure- they're rock solid on no money back once you book. A few weeks back I booked a hotel for a night, the hotel had crummy terms of stay on its own that weren't mentioned in the UR portal- I was SOL on that one I had no choice-either stay there or forfeit all points. Ugh lesson learned. I pay more points to have flexibility.

The CSR will get you reimbursement for a non-refundable reservation if you can't go for something such as jury duty but will NOT pay for not being able to go for something such as a pre-existing condition.

https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/sapphirereserve/travel
But it should cover if an illness occurs that is not a pre-existing condition. So it wouldn't cover if you have diabetes & are hospitalized because of it, but it should cover if you break your leg & cant go.

So far I have the American Airlines MC, Chase Sapphire Preferred, SPG Amex, that are 3-4 months old and a few other cards that are 3+yrs old. I'm almost at the min spend for the most recent card(CSP) and am looking ahead to my next step. I'm thinking the Chase Freedom for the 5% categories and the Marriott Card if the sign on bonus is high when I'm ready for it. My goal is air travel to wdw and hotel. I have an ap so no tickets. Does this seem like a good path?

I always start with where do I want to go in 2 years. Then figure out the points and miles I will need to get there and accumulate them so that they are in place one year before the trip. I avoid paying cash or using a debit card whenever possible. If I can purchase something online through a shopping portal to get extra miles then that is the route I will take. The AA shopping portal had an bonus offer to earn 1200 AA miles if you made $300 in purchases by the end of the month. I needed to buy a new dishwasher so I purchased it through the AA shopping portal from Lowes which was offering 2 AA miles/$ and used a new BA Visa that I'm working on getting 100,000 miles bonus and a companion pass.

I try to maximize bonus categories. So if Chase Freedom's 5x is groceries and we decide we are going to have dinner at Bonefish Grill, we will purchase a Bonefish Grill gift card at Publix with the Chase Freedom so that we get 5x on that dinner. I joined the dining rewards network for the airline I fly the most.

Not at all. Every new application will ding your score a few points but that falls off the first year. At the same time, though, the new credit line will lower your utilization ratio and that part of your credit score is weighted heavier. Therefore, my credit score is now in the 800's. Before travel hacking, it was hovering around 700 give or take.

Great info. Just wondering when do you actually start booking your flights hotels etc? Also do you do them in a certain order, say flights first. And what if you only have a year , is it still doable...Thanks

So far I have the American Airlines MC, Chase Sapphire Preferred, SPG Amex, that are 3-4 months old and a few other cards that are 3+yrs old. I'm almost at the min spend for the most recent card(CSP) and am looking ahead to my next step. I'm thinking the Chase Freedom for the 5% categories and the Marriott Card if the sign on bonus is high when I'm ready for it. My goal is air travel to wdw and hotel. I have an ap so no tickets. Does this seem like a good path?

Don't apply for the Chase Freedom; call or secure message Chase to product change your CSP to a Sapphire, then once that's done, call or secure message again to product change the Sapphire to the Freedom. (This gets around the rule about no product changes from CSP to Freedom within the first year.) This way, you won't waste one of those precious 5/24 slots for more lucrative Chase cards.

A new Freedom signup bonus is $150 after $500 spend in 3 months, and doesn't come with any Ultimate Rewards points bonus. You can (and probably should) apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which has a much better signup bonus of 50,000 UR points after $4,000 spend in 3 months. Those 50k points are worth a minimum of $500 as statement credit, or $750 when redeemed for travel through the Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Ask yourself which is the better deal.

Don't apply for the Chase Freedom; call or secure message Chase to product change your CSP to a Sapphire, then once that's done, call or secure message again to product change the Sapphire to the Freedom. (This gets around the rule about no product changes from CSP to Freedom within the first year.) This way, you won't waste one of those precious 5/24 slots for more lucrative Chase cards.

A new Freedom signup bonus comes with $150 after $500 spend in 3 months, and doesn't come with any Ultimate Rewards points bonus. You can (and probably should) apply for the Chase Sapphire Reserve, which has a much better signup bonus of 50,000 UR points after $4,000 spend in 3 months. Those 50k points are worth a minimum of $500 as statement credit, or $750 when redeemed for travel through the Ultimate Rewards travel portal. Ask yourself which is the better deal.

I've thought about the CSR but I'm pretty new to this hobby and dh isn't quite sold on it yet, so the $450 annual fee is probably a no go right now.

A new Freedom signup bonus is $150 after $500 spend in 3 months, and doesn't come with any Ultimate Rewards points bonus.
The Freedom bonus is awarded as 15,000 UR points (2,500 UR Points for adding an AU). So the signup bonus really is 17,500 UR Points. If you have (or later get) a CSP or CSR you can use the 17.5k URs for travel or partners making it worth $250-$300. You also can take $175 cash if you so choose.

You can still debate the merits of using a 5/24 slot for a Freedom card but to say you get no URs for signing up is misleading.

Thanks so much to those who offered insight on their split stays. I planned on going ahead with booking a split stay (4 nights AOA Suite/2 nights CSR) using our UR points in the portal. I logged in again today and decided to try checking the entire length of our stay one more time, just to see. To my surprise Pop actually showed up as an option this time around. We are totally fine going that route, since that would allow us to conserve way more UR points to splurge on something much more expensive for an Easter trip. So I went ahead and booked the entire 6 night stay at Pop.

Considering reading more into split stays, since what I've read so far and the info you have provided sounds very interesting. We might look more into that type of stay for Easter since we'll be doing 8 nights that time around. Maybe we will look for a moderate, then deluxe. Our dream is Poly, but I'm not sure if we'll get there....LOL. Once again, thanks to this wonderful group for providing so much valuable insight!

Anyone know how long it takes for Hilton points to show up after hitting the spend on the Surpass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter