Jan/Feb or March/April, etc..

Betsyp

DIS Veteran
Hi all...

So I‘m thinking of taking a DCL next year (Wish) - and I’m torn between Jan-April. I live in FL now, so I do want to go when it’s warm enough to enjoy the water activities/pool/CC, but not when it’s too hot and humid. I suppose that means March/April would be better, but of course then we’re also dealing with Spring Break. That happens at different times for different schools, so any idea how to avoid it other than just going another time? Looks like Easter is 3/31/24, so I suppose that week and first week in April would be a no go.

I’m kind of torn - it would be much easier for me to leave from Ft. Lauderdale, but even though Wish gets very mixed reviews, I like that the food is considered the best by many, and the AquaMouse looks cool (but I really hope they let single riders on - waiting at Typhoon Lagoon and having to ask strangers to let me on the raft was so awkward).

I’m thinking it makes much more sense to stay overnight near Port Canaveral instead of leaving very early from South FL day of. I think Cocoa Beach is nearby? Worth staying the night and exploring the town a bit?

Thank you!!!

Being in Florida are you sure the water will be warm enough for you at that time? I wouldn't go until the very end of April at the earliest if you want to swim in the ocean. For me, being from the south, I would consider it until at least May. We did go one year in March and even my 5 year old found it too cold too swim.

Your best bet is probably the last week in April? Massachusetts has the week with the 3rd monday in April off and NH follows, I'm from NH and at least in the parks, there's usually been a noticeable dropoff.

But I'm a northerner and our ocean water is cold up here, so we're doing February.

You have 4 questions
1.we are from Florida. I've left PC in Jan and Feb when we had heavier coats and it was cold. It wasn't long until we got to where the sun was shining and we had on shorts and bathing suits. Water Temps at Castaway Cay and the pools were great. The coldest month in the Bahamas is Jan and the average water temp is still 74 degrees.
2. You can tell when schools are off just by looking at the prices for the cruise. If you are worried about the rambunctious college group they are most likely not on a Disney cruise, because of cost and the atmosphere
3. Don't know why you or anyone thinks the Wish has the best food. Certainly not worth picking your port based on that.
4. If traveling to PC from where you are yes I would stay at a hotel. You never know what traffic will be coming that far.

Last edited:

You have 4 questions
1.we are from Florida. I've left PC in Jan and Feb when we had heavier coats and it was cold. It wasn't long until we got to where the sun was shining and we had on shorts and bathing suits. Water Temps at Castaway Cay and the pools were great. The coldest month in the Bahamas is Jan and the average water temp is still 74 degrees.
2. You can tell when schools are off just by looking at the prices for the cruise. If you are worried about the rambunctious college group they are most likely not on a Disney cruise, because of cost and the atmosphere
3. Don't know why you or anyone thinks the Wish has the best food. Certainly not worth picking your port based on that.
4. If traveling to PC from where you are yes I would stay at a hotel. You never know what traffic will be coming that far.
I didn’t expect to have that many when I started this thread, lol

That’s good to know - thanks! I want to do some water activities, and so while I love cool water, I don’t want really cold water.

I guess opinions about food are always subjective. I didn’t mention it because I was rushing to get this posted before work, but mostly I was looking at Wish because I was looking for a short cruise. Now, I don’t think I want that - I want a longer cruise, maybe 5-6 days. Now the Dream comes into play because they do leave from Fort Lauderdale. I’m going to do more research on that. Just as an FYI, while it may not be the MOST important thing, I love to eat, so good food (relatively speaking) is important to me

Thank you !

Being in Florida are you sure the water will be warm enough for you at that time? I wouldn't go until the very end of April at the earliest if you want to swim in the ocean. For me, being from the south, I would consider it until at least May. We did go one year in March and even my 5 year old found it too cold too swim.
Thank you! I definitely need to consider this - when I was reading about best Times to go, I didn’t see anyone comment on water temp. I actually like cool, refreshing water....

Your best bet is probably the last week in April? Massachusetts has the week with the 3rd monday in April off and NH follows, I'm from NH and at least in the parks, there's usually been a noticeable dropoff.

But I'm a northerner and our ocean water is cold up here, so we're doing February.
Thank you! I’m from NY, so I know from cold water !

That's a good point....."being in Florida". We did a non-Disney cruise out of Miami in January during a "freeze" in Florida and the sea temperatures in St. Thomas and St. Maarten were perfect for snorkeling. And one of the ongoing debates on Disney is whether the water at Castaway Cay is cold. The RECORD cold water temperature in the region is 72 degrees which is plenty warm to me. But here in California our gym heats their outdoor pool to 70 in the winter, and most folks start using their backyard pools when the water hits 65.

We've been to CC 3 times at the end of March and 4 times in Jan. We had great weather all 7 times. The water temperature wasn't that much warmer in March than in Jan. Still a little chilly, but we are from Ohio and have freezing temps then. Our March cruises were nearly twice the price of the ones we took in Jan. My daughter is now in high school so we can't take her out of school for cruises. I personally would choose Jan or Feb because of the price difference. That saved money can be used for some great excursions or another cruise.

And one of the ongoing debates on Disney is whether the water at Castaway Cay is cold. The RECORD cold water temperature in the region is 72 degrees which is plenty warm to me. But here in California our gym heats their outdoor pool to 70 in the winter, and most folks start using their backyard pools when the water hits 65.
It’s not always just the water temp though, I’ve been at CC on a cloudy and windy November day and while it was okay if you were submerged in the water, outside the water was so cold if you were wet.

It’s not always just the water temp though, I’ve been at CC on a cloudy and windy November day and while it was okay if you were submerged in the water, outside the water was so cold if you were wet.
I agree. It was like 72 the day we were on Castaway Cay and a light rain. We snorkeled all morning in the rain, and it was cool when we got out. But hat a nice hot lunch, and road bikes most of the afternoon. But it clearly was too cool and too wet for many who were back on the ship by noon, or who never got off the ship.

I was on the Wish last year and rode the Aquamouse alone many times. It is not like some of the rides at the water parks where they need more folks to be in the raft.

We've been to CC 3 times at the end of March and 4 times in Jan. We had great weather all 7 times. The water temperature wasn't that much warmer in March than in Jan. Still a little chilly, but we are from Ohio and have freezing temps then. Our March cruises were nearly twice the price of the ones we took in Jan. My daughter is now in high school so we can't take her out of school for cruises. I personally would choose Jan or Feb because of the price difference. That saved money can be used for some great excursions or another cruise.
I need to save money where I can, to be honest, so that’s a consideration. Mostly I want to do things like banana boats and jet skis, and I think water temp is less of a factor for me. Yes, I’d like to take a dip in the waters, but I wouldn’t spend all day there...

Thank you!

Good point...I guess if I choose Jan or Feb, I’d best come prepared....and honestly, I’d be fine..l think, lol

I agree. It was like 72 the day we were on Castaway Cay and a light rain. We snorkeled all morning in the rain, and it was cool when we got out. But hat a nice hot lunch, and road bikes most of the afternoon. But it clearly was too cool and too wet for many who were back on the ship by noon, or who never got off the ship.

I think it’s just a matter of tolerance. I try to take a dip in the pool on weekends or occasionally after work, even when it’s cloudy and relatively cool or breezy. Pool weather, maybe not especially, but I like to be refreshed, and I can deal with being cold for a few minutes after I get out. I can always go back to the ship...

I think it’s just a matter of tolerance. I try to take a dip in the pool on weekends or occasionally after work, even when it’s cloudy and relatively cool or breezy. Pool weather, maybe not especially, but I like to be refreshed, and I can deal with being cold for a few minutes after I get out. I can always go back to the ship...
Certainly. I swim at the gym year round in the outdoor pool , so when it's 35 degrees out, 72 would be pretty darn warm. And you can always jump in the hot tub to warm up.

Certainly. I swim at the gym year round in the outdoor pool , so when it's 35 degrees out, 72 would be pretty darn warm. And you can always jump in the hot tub to warm up.
Oh, that hot tub sounds wonderful even now !

No jet skis at Castaway Cay for years.
Oh no, really?

i actually don’t know how to ride one - I was hoping they’d have someone to take people out...I love being out on the open Ocean, the wind in my face. Do they have anything like that there? I suppose maybe they have that at the Nassau stop (or Grand Cayman)

Thanks !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter