Jen's on her way to pick up a baby girl!!

ChrizJen

<font color=green>I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo
She's on her way right this minute to pick up our first official foster placement!!! :goodvibes
She's a 19 month old baby girl with a broken femur :sad1:
That's really all I know so far, but I'm sitting here at work trying not to jump out of my skin. I've got a few more things to finish up here, then I'm off to meet them so that we can go shopping for the stuff that people shop for when they have a 19 month old baby! :scared1:

I'll post pics later...
OMG...we're bringing home a 19 month old baby...

That's great! Such a fun age. :goodvibes

I did foster care for years until I adopted my daughter. :lovestruc

Oh my gosh, that is just beautiful! :hug:

I'm so sorry she has a broken femur. :mad:

Can't wait to hear all about her! :goodvibes

Congratulations! :goodvibes
I hope you have a wonderful time with her!

The little girl I nanny will turn 3 next month, but I started with her when she was 17 months. Sooo sweet! :love:

Wonderful!!! :goodvibes Give her some Disney love from us! :lovestruc

I work for a private foster care agency...I know what a hard job foster parenting is...have fun with her, love her, and enjoy being parents!

So I gotta ask...

As a foster parent, how hard is it to turn over the child when your time is done?

I dont think I could do that....

Thanks, guys for your comments. :goodvibes
She's such a beautiful little angel. She's the sweetest little thing, but she's so scared. She obviously has no idea what's going on. :sad1: We couldn't get her to eat much of anything.
We got her to sleep. Poor sweet little thing. She was so exhausted, but she fought sleep until she just couldn't any longer. I just held her close and tried to calm her fears. And when I finally get her to sleep I just broke down and cried.
I have to say that I knew that this foster parenting thing would be difficult. But I just figured that the hard part would be letting her go when it's time to. But Let me just tell you that my heart feels broken in a way that I've never felt before. Just knowing what this poor baby has been through, and knowing how afraid and confused she is. I cannot even imagine being in her shoes right now. All I can say is that this sweet little baby will be as safe as she can possibly be on my watch. I promised her that while I was rocking her to sleep...
OK, I'm bawling all over again. Time for sleep now...I do have pics, but I'll have to post them tomorrow.
Thanks again for all of the great comments!

Ah no, the sweet precious child. :( I'm so sorry she's that upset. Thank heaven you have her and will give her a safe place in this frightening world.

I know this will be hard for you and wish there were something more I could do other than to say thank you. :hug:

I had a funny mental image when I read the title of this, of someone going to like Target or Wal-Mart and going in and buying a baby. Sorry, pretend I'm not here.

All I can say is that this sweet little baby will be as safe as she can possibly be on my watch. I promised her that while I was rocking her to sleep...

God Bless you and good luck. This child is fortunate to be taken into a home such as yours where she will be given love and stability. It will take time for her to trust you, but she will know she's in a safe place. We had neighbors that fostered 2 siblings that were 3and4 when they came to them. It was amazing the change in these children after they'd been in a loving and supportive environment for awhile.

But Let me just tell you that my heart feels broken in a way that I've never felt before. Just knowing what this poor baby has been through, and knowing how afraid and confused she is. I cannot even imagine being in her shoes right now. All I can say is that this sweet little baby will be as safe as she can possibly be on my watch. I promised her that while I was rocking her to sleep...!

Good Bless! Can you post pics?

Wait before you post the pics ChrizJen. I don't think you're allowed to post pictures where their faces are recognizable. We don't want you to get in any trouble.

Wait before you post the pics ChrizJen. I don't think you're allowed to post pictures where their faces are recognizable. We don't want you to get in any trouble.

Thats what I thought....oh well keep us up to date on the angel!:grouphug:

I used to live near a family that acted as foster parents for emergency placement children (and other children too). The Mom would sob brokenheartedly every single time she had to release a child. NY was great for returning kids home to abusive families at Christmas. :mad:

She'd get them back sometimes before the week was out...hurt again.

It takes a wicked special person to be a foster parent. You have my complete and total respect for what you are doing for that little girl. :hug:

Yep, I checked and you're right. I shouldn't post any pics of her.
But thanks for your kind words everyone...and
RAPstar, I can see where you could think that at first...:lmao:

I think we're going to be able to muddle through this whole thing. But I had my heart ripped out again this morning. Because of the end of the year timing of this, neither Jen nor I have any time left to take off work. We'd love to have been able to take off the rest of this week and spend it at home bonding with her. But alas, we had to work today. Fortunately, we have some WONDERFUL friends who have foster children of their own and are willing to take care of her during the day while we work until we can find an opening at a daycare. But dropping her off there this morning was a doozie. I felt such a HUGE amount of guilt that I had to leave her. She's been tossed around so much these past few days that her head is reeling. I know she'll eventually understand that we're not leaving her for good. That we are coming back.

Sheesh...I'm going on an on. Thanks for reading, guys! This is all so new to us. It's a little overwhelming, and it feels good to be able to share it with my DIS friends! :grouphug:

Bless you both. I am having major baby lust right now and many friends are suggesting foster parenting...but I don't think I'm cut out for it. I'd have a very hard time relinquishing the child, or working with parents I judged and didn't respect.

Do you know this childs background? Do you have to let her parents visit? I just can't imagine the strenght it must take to do so an awesome job.

My thoughts and prayers are with you...

I think it would be VERY easy to get attached. Especially since the children are abused/neglected, the instinct to protect them would be huge. And then to watch them go back to a marginally suitable environment would be torture.

I think you have to have boundaries (as impossible as it sounds). I suck at boundaries, and I am fabulous at feeling guilty, so fostering is probably not for me! :rotfl2:

It's a different situation because there isn't abuse involved, but a lot of young nannies get very attached to the children they care for. To the point that they get resentful of the parents. The thing you absolutely HAVE to remember is that this is not your child. Yes, you will love the children and treat them with warmth and tenderness. It will feel incredibly unfair when they go back to their parents, or some other relative, or to whatever the next stop will be. Somehow you will have to dust yourself off and put a smile on your face to welcome the next little person who will need your care and guidance. I imagine there will be times that you won't be at peace with returning a child to the parents. Some parents are evil and do not deserve to have children, but such is the way of the world. :sad2:

I wish you strength and patience. This journey will be long, but you will make a difference. For that you can be proud! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter