Just off Disney Fantasy...what a final night!!!

mickey0624

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!!
Was on the Disney Fantasy last week from Feb 15-22. Had an amazing time with Star Wars Day at Sea. Great weather and super smooth waters until the last night This was our 12th cruise and we've never experienced the roughness of the seas heading from Castaway Cay to Port Canaveral. Apparently water hitting the ship up to deck 10. If this had been our first cruise, and didn't realize that this was unusual, may be hesitant to go on another. First time I was actually a nervous on a ship. Never felt rocking like that!!!

Not your cruise, but we were on the Fantasy when we ran into Hurricane Sandy. Water was surging out of the pools it was so bad. Dinner canceled because they couldn't cook (too dangerous). Interior of the ship destroyed (pictures broken on the floor, shopping displays tipped over, broken booze bottles and glasses in the bars, etc). We are still cruising with Disney.

Yes!! Feb 15-22. We thought the same thing @mickey0624 ! I haven't signed on here in years, but had to check if anyone else experienced it! This was my 13th cruise, and although you expect some movement on the last night, it was NEVER like this! very rocky !! We were on 2- We expected them to make an announcement in the rooms, but maybe because it was so late at night? it was quite the sleepless night! It must have been a fluke storm. we will be back ! Although I still think they can find a better way to dis-embark! : )

Last edited:

Oh, the captain came on the intercom and told everyone to stay in their room because of things falling and breaking.

Yes!! We thought the same thing! I haven't signed on here in years, but had to check if anyone else experienced it! This was my 13th cruise, and although you expect some movement on the last night, it was NEVER like this! very rocky !! We expected them to make an announcement in the rooms, but maybe because it was so late at night? it was quite the sleepless night! It must have been a fluke storm. we will be back ! Although I still think they can find a better way to dis-embark! : )
I agree...I was just hoping to hear something from the Captain even just saying we're going to be going through some rocky waters. Just to give peace of mind that everything was OK. almost like on a plane the captain always lets you know when some turbulence is coming.

And I agree...disembarking was absolute nightmare...never had that before...took almost 2 hours to get off...thankfully we had a later flight

We were on the cruise also. Not a fluke storm. Waves were forecast (meaning the captain and his crew definitely knew what we were in store for) to be as high as 18 feet in the Gulf Stream - although I have heard reports there were waves higher than 20 feet. It got downright scary. Never in 13 cruises had we experienced anything like that - even when on the fringes of tropical storms and hurricanes. There should have been some kind of announcement or warning after everyone was back on board from Castaway. The crew was warned - but not the guests. Poor job by DCL on that front.

We were on the cruise also. Not a fluke storm. Waves were forecast (meaning the captain and his crew definitely knew what we were in store for) to be as high as 18 feet in the Gulf Stream - although I have heard reports there were waves higher than 20 feet. It got downright scary. Never in 13 cruises had we experienced anything like that - even when on the fringes of tropical storms and hurricanes. There should have been some kind of announcement or warning after everyone was back on board from Castaway. The crew was warned - but not the guests. Poor job by DCL on that front.

Couldn't agree more. DCL and the Captain really dropped the ball on it. Ive never felt anything like that on any of the cruises we've ever been on....and to not even get a word from the crew....Really bad job

Couldn't agree more. DCL and the Captain really dropped the ball on it. Ive never felt anything like that on any of the cruises we've ever been on....and to not even get a word from the crew....Really bad job

That's unfortunate-- we've always been somewhat warned by the Captain and Cruise Director if they expected rough days at sea. Though, sometimes if they make announcements during the day, I would have to open our cabin door to hear them when they come over the intercom.

We had a crazy first night in November going south on the Fantasy, but not nearly so bad as it sounds like this one. Waves at Deck 10 is just madness! Our December waves still felt pretty intense to me: Just trying to walk to the room in the evening, we were getting thrown against the corridor walls! After that I decided we are only cruising in late spring/summer when the water is CALM.

I guess that is one advantage to the Wish being a larger ship: maybe we won't feel the waves as much.

That's unfortunate-- we've always been somewhat warned by the Captain and Cruise Director if they expected rough days at sea. Though, sometimes if they make announcements during the day, I would have to open our cabin door to hear them when they come over the intercom.
Unfortunately, the only reason I can think of why they wouldn't make an announcement- that it would be a rough night - right after everyone was back on board and we we were leaving Castaway is that they felt it would negatively impact guest spending the rest of the night (last night is always a busy night in the shops).

I haven't been on that cruise, but for those who did, have you raised your concerns to DCL?

As I understand, there is a pretty long habit of “telling crew, not guests”. If enough people report their cruise has been negatively impacted by them NOT telling the whole story, maybe there's a (slim) chance of them reconsidering their policy.

My wife sent an email to DCL earlier today. Forgot to add that once off the ship (disembarking was also unusually chaotic), and at the rental car location, was talking to the other people in line. There was someone from the RCCL ship and another from the NCL ship that also returned to Port Canaveral yesterday. They both said their Captains had made an announcement earlier in the day that it would be a rough night. It's rare DCL looks bad compared to the other cruise lines. But this time, they did.

Yikes, rough seas on the ship are never fun. We were on the Magic for the DVC members cruise last October and it was ROUGH, we ended up missing one of our port stops (Boston) because we wouldn't be able to get into the harbour (or if we could, we'd be stuck). Commodore Tom was amazing keeping us updated throughout the day(s) and DCL handled it all so well.

^^^^ this

That's scary, I would have freaked out a bit.
It did freak us out. All it would have taken was an announcement saying were going through some rough waters but theres no danger and would have calmed all the nerves.

Was on the Disney Fantasy last week from Feb 15-22. Had an amazing time with Star Wars Day at Sea. Great weather and super smooth waters until the last night This was our 12th cruise and we've never experienced the roughness of the seas heading from Castaway Cay to Port Canaveral. Apparently water hitting the ship up to deck 10. If this had been our first cruise, and didn't realize that this was unusual, may be hesitant to go on another. First time I was actually a nervous on a ship. Never felt rocking like that!!!

I would have been a nervous and, potentially, puking mess. I cannot even imagine how terrifying that must have been.

I have friends that returned the same day from a NCL cruise. They also reported a very very rough night.

The captain announced rough seas on our the last night of our last cruise. I skipped dinner and our 8th floor balcony was wet not from rain but from waves. The ship canceled the shows that evening and my DW told me a good % of the servers weren't in the dining room due to being sick.

It's crazy how the Caribbean, while usually smooth, can be horrific at times. I was on a Royal Caribbean cruise in 2015, also the last night coming back to Port Canaveral, where the waves were so bad I truly thought I would be flung out of my bed. I was down on the bottom deck, too, midship - can't imagine what it was like in a high room or one at bow or aft!!

We were on the eastern cruise two weeks ago and we had some really rough seas as well on a couple of nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter