Just venting a bit

My guess would be that it escaped notice until now and when the “right” person found it, it was like :scared1: . The fault here lies with the new boss who approved the request in error, having been inadequately familiar with the policy. (S)he probably feels terrible and there may be some disciplinary action higher up for the mistake but this person will be powerless to make good on the approval.
That sounds like what happened, they never explained anything, Which would have been nice. it was more like --to bad, so sad -- now go to work. I will add her boss did feel bad for mistake but nothing he could do.
I rebooked at SSR Friday evening and have been trying to get some dining reservations back, alot is just gone.
I think worst part for me is I never plan ahead, much of what I do is short notice, I am in DVC, and usually have to go to OKW or SSR because everything else
is booked up. This was the first trip in 6 years planned out and it ended up being a waste of time.

Agree and agitating in this situation is a great way to attract negative attention from both the union rep and management. It’s time to let this one go, beyond venting here.
Thats all I was doing is venting, Amber wanted to say something at work today, I told her to leave it alone. She was all excited to have the savanna view but is happy to just go to disney. She had only been there once when she was 8 and it was only for 2 days. So its been 30 years since she had been there.

And if this was approved 3 months ago it seems the boss had only been there 3 months at that point. How long had the daughter been there at that point? If you've been there long enough to request vacation time, haven't you had enough time to read through up to page 72?

Not my daughter its my girlfriend. and she has been there for 8 years, she has always taken her vacations in the winter so it never affected her before. As it turns out only a couple people in her department knew about it several people were unaware of it until now. (They all know now)
And mistakes happen, how they handled it was very poorly done.

School maintenance and there are 3 weeks listed last week of august first week September and 1 other.
It was stated in contract buried in a single paragraph on page 72,
Yikes! So what if someone gets sick, needs surgery, has an ill parent out of state/country. I suppose those things are covered by family medical leave? Well what if it's for happy life events like a wedding out of state/country, the birth of a grandchild, purchasing a new home? Life doesn't & shouldn't work in such rigid ways, that's why so many people are bursting with stress. What difference does it make if someone takes a planned week off to go on vacation or they plan a week off to have their gallbladder removed? They are still out of work for a week.
Good luck, I really hope this crappy paragraph is eliminated in a future printing.

Yikes! So what if someone gets sick, needs surgery, has an ill parent out of state/country. I suppose those things are covered by family medical leave? Well what if it's for happy life events like a wedding out of state/country, the birth of a grandchild, purchasing a new home? Life doesn't & shouldn't work in such rigid ways, that's why so many people are bursting with stress. What difference does it make if someone takes a planned week off to go on vacation or they plan a week off to have their gallbladder removed? They are still out of work for a week.
Good luck, I really hope this crappy paragraph is eliminated in a future printing.
Maybe the company can support one person out (for an emergency), but not two (one for the emergency and one for the "planned" vacation).

Basically it hasn't been an issue for the last 8 years. As mentioned, someone got a look at the schedule and was like "nope".

Maybe the company can support one person out (for an emergency), but not two (one for the emergency and one for the "planned" vacation).

Basically it hasn't been an issue for the last 8 years. As mentioned, someone got a look at the schedule and was like "nope".
& what if 2 people need to be out for an emergency? Man plans & god laughs.

& what if 2 people need to be out for an emergency? Man plans & god laughs.

Then the company figures it out. But they don’t have to willingly put themselves in that position. It is a provision of a union contract that was negotiated, voted on by the members & approved. Obviously it is not a big enough deal to most members that they have pushed their union to change it.

I have been a union member for over 35 years & am a former delegate for my unit. Even before that, I always read my contract front to back after every ratification. I think it is your responsibility to know your own contract. As I tell my coworkers, how do you know if your boss is violating your contract if you don’t know what your contract says?

OP, hope you still have a great vacation. And at least you know not to plan the next one during those 3 weeks!

It isn't a matter of changing what is printed. It is a negotiated point of a contract. That Isn't easy to get changed.

Tons of retail places don't allow people to ask for time off between Christmas and New Years. It's just a part of having that specific job.

Then the company figures it out. But they don’t have to willingly put themselves in that position. It is a provision of a union contract that was negotiated, voted on by the members & approved. Obviously it is not a big enough deal to most members that they have pushed their union to change it.

I have been a union member for over 35 years & am a former delegate for my unit. Even before that, I always read my contract front to back after every ratification. I think it is your responsibility to know your own contract. As I tell my coworkers, how do you know if your boss is violating your contract if you don’t know what your contract says?

OP, hope you still have a great vacation. And at least you know not to plan the next one during those 3 weeks!
Thing is the OP's GF direct supervisor didn't know about page 72. The time off was approved & re-negged.

It isn't a matter of changing what is printed. It is a negotiated point of a contract. That Isn't easy to get changed.

Tons of retail places don't allow people to ask for time off between Christmas and New Years. It's just a part of having that specific job.
When I worked retail blackout dates were basically back to school time period (so early August through third or fourth week of August) and just before Thanksgiving all the way through New Years with a few dates here and there in between Thanksgiving and News Years available or not blacked out.

I understand the complexity. The direct supervisor was not clearly aware of the parameters of the contract & approved the time. Given those circumstances, some flexibility should have been considered, imo.

Thing is the OP's GF direct supervisor didn't know about page 72. The time off was approved & re-negged.
So? Didn't the OP say the UNION REP (not her supervisor) said if she takes the time, don't come back?

The OP's GF, if she doesn't like the working conditions is free to quit. Having vacation "black out dates" is done in MANY industries and as long as they aren't abused by the company is a minor inconvenience IMO. The fact the employee has been there 8 years and doesn't at least have a vague idea of what's in the contract is telling IMO. It also sounds like other employees don't know what they're agreeing to.

We're not a union shop, but we release handbooks every couple years (and it gets posted on our company intranet page). You better believe I read over the book EVERY time it comes out. Do I study it? No. But I want to know if they've changed anything.

Thing is, an individual manager does NOT have the ability to violate a contract. Ignorance is not an excuse. We have had to have managers withdraw vacation approvals that they have made in error too. Mistakes happen but they need to be corrected.

I understand the complexity. The direct supervisor was not clearly aware of the parameters of the contract & approved the time. Given those circumstances, some flexibility should have been considered, imo.
But then you set a precedent. COULD the company/union have offered flexibility? Sure. But you want to fault the person who had been employed for 3 months (at the time of the approval), but give a pass to the person who was there 8 years?

That pretty much is not the way it works.

The employee has just as much responsibility to be aware of the rules.

That pretty much is not the way it works.

The employee has just as much responsibility to be aware of the rules.
I place my job & work life among my top priorities. I also remember everyday that I get up & go to work for my family. What I know is that when we are all dead & buried, I have yet to see a headstone that reads "beloved employee of XYZ company". We live for our families, not our employers. Family is everything.

I place my job & work life among my top priorities. I also remember everyday that I get up & go to work for my family. What I know is that when we are all dead & buried, I have yet to see a headstone that reads "beloved employee of XYZ company". We live for our families, not our employers. Family is everything.
Great. But what does it have to do with this specific situation? They can't have the time off per the contract. Neither party realized it. Now they do. It's been worked out for another time.

Yikes! So what if someone gets sick, needs surgery, has an ill parent out of state/country. I suppose those things are covered by family medical leave? .

Emergency - medical leaves are allowed, everything else not.
The rep was even sort of a jerk when talking to her, Made a comment about if you suddenly are to sick for work that week, you'll be looking for a job
And I don't disagree with any of it, it is in writing. It was just handled very poorly and there was no call for the guy being an a whole about it. I think Amber was just as upset about how he spoke to her as being told cant have the days off.

Trips rebooked and I may even try to waitlist AK but I doubt it comes thru.

Last edited:
Emergency - medical leaves are allowed, everything else not.
The rep was even sort of a jerk when talking to her, Made a comment about if you suddenly are to sick for work that week, you'll be looking for a job
Wow, so a supervisor screws up & then she gets threatened.
I'm glad you were able to adjust your vacation dates & I hope karma comes around to bite them. Have a good trip when the time comes :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter