Just venting a bit

Thats all I was doing is venting, Amber wanted to say something at work today, I told her to leave it alone. She was all excited to have the savanna view but is happy to just go to disney. She had only been there once when she was 8 and it was only for 2 days. So its been 30 years since she had been there.
Sorry about calling her your wife; not all of us know you well enough to realize Amber is your daughter. Would it be possible to just table the trip and re-plan far enough in advance to be able to re-establish all the special things you had originally arranged? We stayed Savannah-view at AKL and TBH, it was seriously "magical". I'd want that for you if it was at all possible. pixiedust:

It's too bad people don't realize how well something is handled can make a big difference in how an employee walks away feeling.
Yes, but working union really, really distances the workers and employers from one another. People tend to get reduced to "labour resources" and "management". Obviously it does have it's upside, but accommodating individual needs isn't part of it.

Sorry about calling her your wife; not all of us know you well enough to realize Amber is your daughter. Would it be possible to just table the trip and re-plan far enough in advance to be able to re-establish all the special things you had originally arranged? We stayed Savannah-view at AKL and TBH, it was seriously "magical". I'd want that for you if it was at all possible. pixiedust:

No worries and she is not my daughter either, GF maybe wife in the future even thou I told myself I would never do that again.
I read the posts from other on wife and daughter, Should have corrected people then.

No re planing too far ahead, my window for trip is no later than end of October, and I already looked, no savanna views in time frame.
Just have to do AK another time.

And it probably wont be next trip because highly likely it will be Aulani next year

Keep your chin up. A lot of ADRs open up on 60 & 30 days during fast passes. Also ADRs open up 6pm the day prior too. We scored 3 ADRs this way. We also canceled 3 because we were too tired to go. It could ultimately be a blessing in disguise. I’m a everything happens for a reason.

Yikes! So what if someone gets sick, needs surgery, has an ill parent out of state/country. I suppose those things are covered by family medical leave? Well what if it's for happy life events like a wedding out of state/country, the birth of a grandchild, purchasing a new home? Life doesn't & shouldn't work in such rigid ways, that's why so many people are bursting with stress. What difference does it make if someone takes a planned week off to go on vacation or they plan a week off to have their gallbladder removed? They are still out of work for a week.
Good luck, I really hope this crappy paragraph is eliminated in a future printing.

No union, but my previous job had a policy of no vacation from the Monday after Thanksgiving through Feb 15. And sick days, only with a note from a doctor. It was many years ago, but according to contacts that still work there, it is still the policy. You are told the policy when you are hired. And if you don't think you can comply with it, you are free to not take the job.

New baby? See it on the weekend or at night. Wedding for a close family member? You know the policy during the planning. Not a close family member? Hope you can travel and attend over the weekend.

Oh, and I didn't mention the mandatory overtime, including two scheduled Saturdays. That's the job. Take it or leave it.

Interesting! Our Savannah-view room was blah as far as animal viewing went. Saw almost none. The most adventurous thing that happened was that one of the few around had a bowel movement right below our balcony and the smell was overwhelming while we were out there, lol. We did enjoy the Club Level, though - that was the best part of our stay. :goodvibes (I do love AKL in general, though, and almost always at least visit when at the World.)

Not my daughter its my girlfriend. and she has been there for 8 years, she has always taken her vacations in the winter so it never affected her before. As it turns out only a couple people in her department knew about it several people were unaware of it until now. (They all know now)
And mistakes happen, how they handled it was very poorly done.

It's good that everyone is now aware. IMO it's as much the responsibility of the employees as the manager to understand workplace policies, especially if the employees can be negatively affected. Not sure it's equitable to hang more of the blame on the manager who's been there months instead of the employee who's been there several years. Like I said, it's good everyone is alerted to the detail now so no one is negatively impacted.

Just venting a little, Had kidani savanna view 1 bedroom for September 1st to 8th. Had to give it up and change dates to the week after

I haven't read the entire thread. But do you own DVC? If so, there's a great chance you could have a Kidani Savanna view, for your new dates, by scanning daily. People cancel and change resorts more than most realize.

And you're trying for a resort with a large amount of inventory.

Interesting! Our Savannah-view room was blah as far as animal viewing went. Saw almost none. The most adventurous thing that happened was that one of the few around had a bowel movement right below our balcony and the smell was overwhelming while we were out there, lol. We did enjoy the Club Level, though - that was the best part of our stay. :goodvibes (I do love AKL in general, though, and almost always at least visit when at the World.)
We were right at the giraffe feeding spot (or whatever it might properly be called) and honestly, when we entered the room and opened the drapes I just about peed my pants! :hyper: They seemed close enough to touch, although of course they weren't as there is a space between hotel and the fenced in compound. (Props to Disney for the way they arranged that though.) There was never a time we looked out the window that there wasn't something down there. The giraffes were by far my favourite but I want to say there were also some sort of wildebeast-type of thing at the watering hole and lots of wild turkey-type things.

We were right at the giraffe feeding spot (or whatever it might properly be called) and honestly, when we entered the room and opened the drapes I just about peed my pants! :hyper: They seemed close enough to touch, although of course they weren't as there is a space between hotel and the fenced in compound. (Props to Disney for the way they arranged that though.) There was never a time we looked out the window that there wasn't something down there. The giraffes were by far my favourite but I want to say there were also some sort of wildebeast-type of thing at the watering hole and lots of wild turkey-type things.
That does sound awesome! :lovestruc

I haven't read the entire thread. But do you own DVC? If so, there's a great chance you could have a Kidani Savanna view, for your new dates, by scanning daily. People cancel and change resorts more than most realize.

And you're trying for a resort with a large amount of inventory.

Yes I do,
And I have been looking. there are a few days scattered days but We are not in a resort hopping mood. Don't want to do a split stay so chances are slim.

Yes I do,
And I have been looking. there are a few days scattered days but We are not in a resort hopping mood. Don't want to do a split stay so chances are slim.

Okay.

It is very much possible, but it does take rolling the dice and piecing together. So I hear you.

I pieced together two weeks at the Polynesian one year (including Christmas and NYE), not even at the seventh month mark - a month and half after it.

I'm forever stalking for vacations with DVC. There hasn't been one time that I haven't ended up without what I have wanted. When we first went to online bookings years ago, it was easy as pie.

Now I have so much more competition. :laughing:

Have a wonderful vacation. :goodvibes

Ive been in a grand villa savanna view before (Took my mom for her Birthday) and seen animals every morning it was awesome.
This was a few years ago before I started seeing Amber, I told her about it and she chose AK.

I’m sorry your plans had to be rearranged-you said she works in a school? Getting schools ready for fall is a huge job-they probably can’t have people off during those last couple weeks. I would have been nice if someone mentioned it when she was hired-and her union rep sounds like a jerk.
I hope you have a great vacation-it will still be good to get away!

I'm sorry! It does suck since you had no way of knowing what was in her contract. However, I do think your anger is misplaced. Amber messed up by not knowing this important detail. Ultimately she is responsible for knowing when she's allowed vacation. It is unfortunate that the mistake wasn't recognized by the boss or HR at the time of the request but it was a mistake just as Amber not reading the contract and knowing was a mistake.

I, too, am a contract employee. Each year, I print out our prohibited dates and keep it handy because I don't want to inadvertently request one.

I would let it go and carry on planning a great trip. If the reservations you want aren't available if you change the dates by a week, maybe push the trip back further to a date that is available both in allowed time off and reservations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter