keeping the kids entertained in the car

mommt

Earning My Ears
I think I've got my 4y/o covered with plenty of activities, but has anyone got any ideas on how to keep my 22 month old happy while in her car seat. We are driving from Illinois. We've got a tv/dvd, but I'm sure she'll tire of that eventually. Appreciate any suggestions.

Crayons and paper. You don't have to worry about her coloring the walls since you're in the car! Just make sure you don't leave them in direct sunlight. Colorforms or felt playsets are also good for that age. They can rearange the scene for hours.

One thing to avoid are any books or toys that make noise! Hours of listening to one of those "singing" books will drive you nuts! I speak from experience. We live in Northern Il and my grandmother lives 7 hours south in Southern IL and we listened to a variety of "songs" from a book for half the trip. At a rest stop, DH hid them in the back of the van. Thankfully, they forgot about them for the trip home.

Good luck!

I would recommend colored pencils instead of crayons. Also sitting in the back seat with the children for a while here and there. Try wrapping some of the toys or surprises you bring, this willa dd a couple more minutes of use for each object.

Another hint is when you stop to eat, let the children run around and play while you and DH eat. Get their food to go and let them eat in the car instaed of at the restaurant. This will take more time too :) Plus they will be sitting enough in the car.

Make the DVD's you bring short ones. They tend to like more short videos better then longer ones. It is easier to keep their attention for 30 minutes at a time.

Magna doodle is good too!

How about some books on tape? They help to pass the time and you'd be surprized how they pass the time!:D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

What about those special magic markers for little ones that only mark on the paper? I too have had some BAD experence with crayons in the car. Make sure she has something to color on that will fit with her car seat. Try reading to both of the children as well as singing and telling stories. Lot of non- messy snacks are good too. Animal or fish crackers, grapes, cheese, fruit snack ect. can be fun to eat and passes the time. A magna doodle was a big hit with my DS at that age. They also have some cool hand held games for toddlers now. I saw a cookie monster one the other day. If you don't have a problem with the noise in the car, it never bothers me, there are some cool electronic learing games for little ones. My DS had one that kept him happy for almost all of a four hour drive. Just think what is at the end of the trip and you will be fine.

jordan's mom

I read recently to bring a bottle of bubbles (get the spillproof) and I thought that was a great idea, I will definitely try it with our little one on the next long road trip.:D

BUBBLES is a great idea! We recently drove Chicago - North Carolina round trip.. on the way back we were stuck in traffic for 2 hours NOT MOVING.. augh, accident in KY..

Anyhow... my DD (7) was bored after coloring, playing new game etc.. I remembered how the Easter Bunny brought her bubbles.. well, that was perfect! She blew them out the window for an hour! She was very entertaining to the cars around us too!

This is DEFINITELY the thread for me--thanks so much, y'all!

I'm planning for our first trip to WDW in December (been planning since 2000); my kids will be four and a half and two and a half then, so keep 'em comin'!

Magna Doodle is great also, they have the travel size that is much smaller and easier for the little ones to handle. They are usually 8-12 dollars depending on where you get one. They also have a smaller one with a clip-on thingy that you could carry into the parks.

Jordan's Mom mentioned the special markers and paper, these are crayola and expensive compared to regular paper and marker, but they really do work and are IMHO worth the money when you consider the lack of mess involved.

Bubbles are excellant, we get the big box of party sized ones (24 in a box) at Target for 4.99.

Angela

My 2 tips;
a list of easy songs to sing, (this worked with DD18 mnth), something everyone knows- because the sight of all of us suddenly belting out a song made her laugh everytime. We sang the abc song alot, and NSYNC "pop", wheels on the bus, even, "rockin around the Xmas tree"!
Also set aside some things for the ride home, she was sick of the videos, books and toys on the return trip.

What have been the best deals you have been find on the tv/vcrs? I have been looking at the audiovox 2000 5 inch and the cheapest I can find is $259.99

Lisa

Depending on how far you are going, you can try driving overnight. Anything less than 10 hours we leave after dinner, my DH drives until he too tired (while I sleep), and I take over about midnight and drive to 6AM (Given the choice I'm a night creature). When we arrive he takes the kids for a few hours while I sleep. It worked great last summer, we missed all the traffic jams around construction sites.

For Disney we drive it in 2 days, leaving @ 5AM, so they sleep part of the trip. Stop every couple of hours and let the kids run (playground or rest area).

Also - I got a 9" TV/VCR for $140 @ overstock.com, but I don'e know if they still have them.

May I add in puppets. My DH went on a trip from MI to CA when he was ten, and they used puppets to entertain people in passing cars. Now, we use them to entertain our kids in the back. When no puppet is available, "Mister Hand" makes a visit and tells them all a story, or makes jokes. Just being silly (talk in a funny voice , etc) is often enough to distract kids from how bored they are. Mister Hand has enough of a following that we had to send him on vacation when we got home. Now the kids give him an update of what they are doing when he comes back to visit.

Also, remember that most cars do not have even air flow. Often the back of the car will be like an oven even when the front of the car is like a fridge. Sometimes opening the back windows just a little will allow the cold air from the front to reach the back. Kids are always going to enjoy their trip more when they are comfortable.

I kept noticing my 22 month old playing with her new sandals with velcro straps. I got some adhesive velcro and have stuck pieces on EVERYTHING! There is no mess, things stay together, and it entertains her for the longest time.

When DD was 2 we brought pipecleaners in the car! I had purchased a giant multi-colored packed and we made EVERY shape known to man! Glasses she wore, a mickey head, flowers, candles, her name, rainbows, you get the idea. She loved it, it wasn't messy, it took a big chunk out of the trip and it was cheap!

We take a lot of long car trips. A roll of scotch tape would keep my son busy for a long time. I'd let him pull off pieces and stick them all over. Also, those little sticky notes were fun for him to just peel off over and over. Don't ask me why, but this worked great.

One more big item was tapes/CD's of Barney songs or Mickey sing-a-long songs. Have several different kinds so you can change them up occasionally.

Once their a little older, I have a prize every hour gimmick. At the start of every hour by the car clock they get either a snack from the snack bag or a "surprise" from the prize bag. These are usually little clearance items I have been storing away or even birthday party prize items I have put away. Key chains were popular in our car and they linked all the key chains together in a giant pile. Having a set time for them to expect the next item saved a lot of whining in between. Of course, if they acted up they would get no prize in the next hour. Believe it or not this really worked! I was kind of amazed. You don't have to spend a pile of money on this system.

Model magic would also work in a car. It can be shaped like Play-do but dries into a rubbery plastic. I don't think it would damage any car interiors. Haven't tried this one yet myself.

I just saw a 9' tv/vcr at a Sam's for about $150. That is a great deal. We have 4 kids and drive to Disney from Indiana, I wouldn't consider making the trip without the tv/vcr. We also drive during the night on the way down there.

We also live in Illinois and have driven to Florida many times. When my girls were much younger I used to pack a bag for each of them with all sorts of different things that they could use in the car. I wouldn't let them look in the bag or know what I had gotten them so it was really a treat and surprise for them. Card games, coloring books, crayons, pads of paper, new camera, film, little flash light and of course snacks. You name it and I threw it in the bag.

I have a 18mo old and he loves his magna doodle & kids CDs. Of course he loves movies too. But until later today (when I go back to the store) we won't have that option. We found a TV/VCR at SAM's for $199.99 for your car. The more me and my hubbie have though about it the better it sounds. It hooks on the back of two seats and hangs in the middle. I think we are going to try to limit its use it before our trip though. Otherwise, when the big ride comes they will be use to it. Plus the fact i don't want to have to pop a movie in everytime we hop in the car.

DIXIE LANDINGS - 2000
ALL STAR MOVIES - Upcoming Nov

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter